PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Dead Space 2, Ignition, Extraction, Aftermath, and Salvage

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jul 27, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

It’s been a busy few days for Dead Space fans; a lot of news has come to light over the last week. While Dead Space 2 is still on track for early 2011, the world of Isaac Clarke is spreading like necromorphs through a ventilation system.

In this interview from last week’s EA Showcase, Dead Space 2 Producer Rich Briggs answers your questions about Dead Space 2 and the PS3-exclusive HD edition of Dead Space Extraction, and details the forthcoming Dead Space Ignition (which will tie in to DS2).

Later on in the week, EA/Visceral Games made even more Dead Space-related announcements at Comic-Con. Here’s Dead Space 2 executive producer Steve Papoutsis with details for our readers:

Today is a very exciting day for the Dead Space franchise. I’m proud to announce 2 new fiction extensions for the Dead Space universe.

Dead Space Aftermath is our second animated feature. It tells the story of what happened after Isaac had his encounter with the red marker. We are working on this with Starz/Film Roman and will be released January 2011.

Dead Space Salvage is a new graphic novel featuring the talented artist Christopher Shy. It takes a peak at what happened to the Ishimura after Isaac departed.

Both of these additions will continue to expand the Dead Space fiction and we can’t wait to see what people think when they get to enjoy them.

If this stuff sounds cool please post a message and let us know. Thanks.

PAGE 1 2

+ VectorRaven on July 27th, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

Looking forward to this very much. Is the game MOVE capable?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

I asked that question in the video…

+ Trixzter7 on July 27th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

Nice. Haven’t actually played Part 1 but heard good things about it.

+ Zezzler on July 27th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

I really hope they announce that DS2 has move support, that would be a terrific option! everything about that game looks fantastic, I cannot WAIT!

Thanks jeff for supporting the community (as always)!

+ Enforcer_X on July 27th, 2010 at 8:17 am said:

The more Dead Space the better!

+ Zinacef on July 27th, 2010 at 8:18 am said:

Not fair that we have to buy the Limited Edition disc for the extras!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

If you buy the game at launch, it *is* the Limited Edition, just like with Dante’s Inferno PS3. No extra cost.

+ Aggilus on July 27th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

I love this franchise. I don’t know how I’m gonna do but I need to have all the goodies for this year in preparation for Dead Space 2 yeee haaaw

+ ProSoldier14 on July 27th, 2010 at 8:22 am said:

Lol Jeff, “I’m not waving this paper because it’s hot in here.”

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

I lied. It was actually hot in there :)

+ VectorRaven on July 27th, 2010 at 8:32 am said:

Sorry should have watched the entire vid before asking about Move support.

+ Kamiboy on July 27th, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

Here is a question, why are you guys pushing this 2011 game like its coming out next month? Keeping a game in the spotlight is alright but such aggressive push of an anticipated game that no one can play until next year has always come off as obnoxious to me.

+ anotherdae on July 27th, 2010 at 8:35 am said:

I’ll miss Ben Templesmith from the comics but this Christopher Shy/Studio Ronin looks awesome! Are you doing motion comics again? Those were great although I wish they were all in one instead of broken into parts.

+ Tebeau23 on July 27th, 2010 at 8:36 am said:

Okay so…Dead Space 2 LE with Dead Space: Extraction will cost $60 on January 25? Am i Correct?

+ VectorRaven on July 27th, 2010 at 8:39 am said:

Zinacef | July 27th, 2010 at 8:18 am
Not fair that we have to buy the Limited Edition disc for the extras!

Dude it’s exactly like Dantes Inferno. Everyone gets the limited Edition. There won’t be a separate version.

+ VectorRaven on July 27th, 2010 at 8:40 am said:

Correct.

+ VectorRaven on July 27th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

Are you serious? Why do we get trailers of movies that come out a year from now? Do the math.

+ Berae on July 27th, 2010 at 8:56 am said:

That is Dead Space 2 that made me play the first one, i’m still not done with it but its a very good game so far, i’m in chapter 9. Dead Space 2 looks awesome.

+ Jvolel on July 27th, 2010 at 8:56 am said:

So right now move support for ds2 is a maybe, but sounds to most likely be a no since they’re focusing on support for extraction. Well I hope they can consider it. If they add it and get it to work well, i’ll buy extraction instead of Resident Evil 5 since I already played through RE5. If not, I hope they can add enhancements to extraction aside from a graphical upgrade. *crosses fingers*

+ Patronaso on July 27th, 2010 at 8:56 am said:

Can someone at EA please clarify the following for me. How will the Extraction content be packaged. Specifically, will it be available to all SKUs, a separate SKU, only pre-orders? I’m curious because I went to the EA store looking to pre-order, but saw no indication the content was included.

PS – Also looking forward to all this expansion. Great job guys.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

It’s on the disc.

+ naiyo on July 27th, 2010 at 8:58 am said:

I would buy DS2 if it had PSmove controls. I hope they do… please!!!

+ Patronaso on July 27th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

I can’t view video, so if anything is answered my apologies.

+ PullusPardusUS on July 27th, 2010 at 9:08 am said:

Excellent editing Jeff fits the game perfectly.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

The editing is all down to our new teammate/video editor, Rey Gutierrez. I’ll tell him you liked it :)

+ Rey Gutierrez on July 29th, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

I’m happy to hear you’re digging the new direction were taking with our video coverage!

+ Frejim on July 27th, 2010 at 9:28 am said:

Excellent!!!

Cant wait till Jan!!!

+ Midgetguy on July 27th, 2010 at 9:39 am said:

I’m a BIG fan of Dead Space! The first game didn’t necessarily scare me, but it sure was a TON of fun to play! In my honest opinion, I think Dead Space is what the more modern Resident Evil games SHOULD have been like!

+ Caudill on July 27th, 2010 at 9:48 am said:

Awesome! I’m a HUGE fan of Dead Space, can’t wait to play all this. Jan. 25 can’t come soon enough.

+ zekececil14 on July 27th, 2010 at 9:54 am said:

Jeff, I liike the way you showed you were listening to us by asking actual comments and saying the persons name. Keep up the great work.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

We’re here for you guys. Thanks for sending in questions!

+ Maverick10 on July 27th, 2010 at 10:03 am said:

So much Dead Space stuff!! I’m lovin’ it

+ poodude on July 27th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

You guys really know how to take all my money, and I’m not quite sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing!

+ Tebeau23 on July 27th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

I wouldn’t want PSMOVE support for DS2 just because I would get to scarred and throw it lol I have 6 controllers…so controllers can be replaced ;)

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

Use the wrist strap!

+ McJorneil on July 27th, 2010 at 10:18 am said:

Love Dead Space, it’s my favorite game to play. Just recently got the Dead Space Martyr novel and loving it as well. I have a couple questions regarding PlayStation Home. The first is will there be Home unlockables from Dead Space 2 (such as a cool suit for your avatar upon completing the game or obtaining the platinum trophy)? And my second question is will there be a virtual space in Home for Dead Space 2? Would be really awesome if that were the case.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

I believe there was an Isaac outfit from the first Dead Space. If there will be something for DS2, it wouldn’t get announced for several months yet.

+ JoeDierte on July 27th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

I NEED more necromorphs to dismember. That’s what the voices in my head tell me anyways. Thank you. :) *laughs nervously*

+ zekececil14 on July 27th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Jeff, I would like to thank you. This is because you are ALWAYS quick to reply and you dont stop at “2″ replies. Heres to Jeff and his great work!

+ D-Squad3 on July 27th, 2010 at 10:43 am said:

Should ask them if there will be real cinematic cutscenes unlike Dead Space 1.

+ Coheno on July 27th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

Hmm… Still wanna know if Extraction is gonna be just an upscaled port or an HD remake?

+ coolernator on July 27th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

wen is the demo coming out!? im psyched to play it even if i have to subscribe to PS PLUS

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

If there’ll be a demo, it’ll be much closer to release.

+ pickupdoctor on July 27th, 2010 at 10:55 am said:

That is great, I can’t wait, all I think it is awesome that EA is bringing content from Wii to PS3 remastered in HD and with ability to use MOVE more accurately that is great.

Dead Space is great, if you haven’t played it yet, don’t wait get it now, and get ready to be scared, and if you were not scared when you played it that mean your TV screen was too small and your surround sound was not working correctly.

Each scream, whisper or any other noise I hear makes my hair stand up. Game ROCKS thank you EA, and thanks Sony for all the improvement and additional content that you bring us.

+ megalodonshark on July 27th, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

thispending release has me so stoked that i can hardly contain myself at this point.
more over i look forward to more survival horror bloody and gory goodness. just the idea of eviserating necros is getting me excited enough, not to mention if it atleast has porions of the original formula i might spend a few sleepless nights working this game over to the best of my abilities.

+ ssjmichael on July 27th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

Jeff, is the DS2 LE truly limited? As in, it will only be available the first few months and then be replaced with a regular edition.

And if so, will Dead Space extraction be sold separately on PSN? It’d be great to have it on their regardless. Thanks

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

That’s what I’m told – that it’s truly limited. Don’t know what would happen with Extraction after that.

+ undeadlegion on July 27th, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

Jeff. Like @24 and @30 said. Thanks so much for responding to us. It’s awesome. If only your other team members could be more like you…

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

Well, in defense of everyone else, this is my full time job…

thanks though.

+ skynidas on July 27th, 2010 at 11:20 am said:

Ahh great interview Jeff, it answered all of my questions. This game is looking great.

+ Snookster231 on July 27th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

I was very much disapointed when I heard Dead Space 2 was coming out early next year. thouhgt that it might be coming out later this year, but that is how it goes. I have recommended the first installment to alot of people and have been reading alot about the 2nd adventure coming early next year.

I like that alot of the kinks have been rubbed out and that the controls will be so much more streamlined than Dead Space. PS Move is sure to make this installment way more enjoyableas well. Don’t get me wrong. I love Dead Space so much that I still play it and have yet to use the DLC for it.

You have to admit that you have free roam of your flight in zero-g gravity levels, new weapons, monsters and tight control of Isaac, then who can complain?

The remade HD version was not that apealing to me since it was on the Wii, but if it comes with the special edition, then my extra pennies are waiting. Bring it Briggs and keep the franchise alive Papoutsis! I will surely promote this like I have the first game.

Just wish I could have been there to ask some questions Jeff, but looks like you covered all bases.

+ KwietStorm on July 27th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

People are still asking about trophy support? Jeff, don’t waste time with questions like that when other questions could be asked.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 1:17 pm said:

I think it was a legitimate question for Extraction. Not for DS2.

+ Dracorius on July 27th, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

Eeeeeee!!!!! All on one disc????!!! First day buy!!!!

+ Airwalkinman17 on July 27th, 2010 at 12:06 pm said:

Jeff you rock. those were great questions from viewers that you chose to ask. Good job.
Anyway a bunch of awesome news. Can’t wait for January. I hope they really try to implement PS MOVE on DS2 a la SOCOM 4. The controls for aiming and moving with the nav controller would really rock for this game.

+ IcedDice777 on July 27th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

Where’s my MARKER replica? ***Hint*** ***HINT*** 8)

+ Lirion on July 27th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

Hopefully they put Move support in Dead Space 2 as well. Still buying it though, loved the first game.

+ ForgiveMyAim on July 27th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

Question if I buy the “Limited Edition” how long will both the campaigns approximately last?

+ Lethality-XVII on July 27th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

platinumd this game :)
and am i the only one that was wondering why the marker in the game was so much smaller than the marker in the movie?

+ DNAgent on July 27th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

Will you be able to play Dead Space Extraction with the regular controller or is a Move controller required?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

I believe the Move controller is required, but that’s a good question for next time I visit the Visceral team.

+ Huuuze on July 27th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

After watching that video, I think I have a Marker in my pants.

+ NEJI64 on July 27th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

I just beat Dead Space for the first time the other day. I gotta say Resident Evil have been dethrone for best horror game. Capcom better call Marcus cause they need to “Step There Game Up”. I’m amp up for Dead Space 2.

+ Gorvi on July 27th, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

To answer 47′s question, Visceral said at E3 that you could use a regular controller to play Extraction. Really, though, that doesn’t sound like a good idea, I have memories of renting Virtua Cop and a Saturn system in high school and it wasn’t pretty.

PAGE 1 2