Bloodborne

God of War: Ghost of Sparta Comic-Con Panel, New “Midas” Video

Eric Levine's Avatar + Posted by Eric Levine on Jul 27, 2010 // SCEA PR Manager

This past week was Comic-Con in San Diego – a gathering of all things relating to pop culture, from gaming to movies to television, and everything in between. The Ghost of Sparta development team headlined a Comic-Con panel called “The World that is God of War” in which they discussed details about the new game. Watch the video below to catch the panel.

Dana Jan (game director), Derek Mulder (lead gameplay programmer), Nathan Phail-Liff (art director), and Adam Byrne (lead animator) from Ready At Dawn Studios performed a live demo, along with a brief Q&A session for more than 250 fans and media in attendance.

Also, we were thrilled to include God of War: Ghost of Sparta in the Comic-Con festivities beginning with an unveil of new gameplay footage on SPIKE’s Friday night GameTrailers TV episode. Watch it for yourself below.

We’re calling this footage the “Midas Moment” since it depicts Kratos’s battle against King Midas. The terrain in the environment is volcanic with lava all around, providing a great glimpse into another part of the world Kratos will explore in Ghost of Sparta and another example of the breathtaking aesthetics found in the game. This scene also shows off a more immersive “in your face” battle with up-close and personal brutality. It cinematically presents the brutal, bulldozing force that Kratos exerts to obliterate each and every obstacle in his path (a la the Poseidon kill in God of War III). And with the inclusion of King Midas, it seamlessly integrates another popular character from Greek mythology into the God of War universe.

+ xeno3d on July 27th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

That looks pretty bad-[DELETED]

+ Jetup on July 27th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

1 word….AWESOME!
Can’t wait

+ ExPresident on July 27th, 2010 at 2:09 pm said:

I fricken love the God of War games. Not enough can be said about them. Looks awesome! :)

+ Nightmare142 on July 27th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

One word… EPIC!

+ ForgiveMyAim on July 27th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

Two words…. Mon Tage

+ xaos on July 27th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

Can’t freaking wait; when oh when will we learn a release date? :)

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

Very soon, actually. Stay tuned to the blog.

+ StealthReborn– on July 27th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

I actually won myself a PSPgo in a modnation tournament and being a huge God of War fan, this game will fit nicely with it. Going to buy chains of Olympus right now. :) Has a price been set yet for Ghost of Sparta?

+ Justp94 on July 27th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

This eventually needs to be developed on ps3… seriously..

+ ForgiveMyAim on July 27th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

@7 agreed.

+ D-Squad3 on July 27th, 2010 at 2:23 pm said:

Old footage, I’ve already seen that @ gametrailers.

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 27th, 2010 at 3:40 pm said:

You saw the part where he did the whole walkthrough of Scylla, the first boss revealed? The one that only I shot?

+ Tyrael3000 on July 27th, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

why oh why on the psp? by the sounds of the trailer its gonna be the story of kratos’ brother wth man now i gotta buy a psp… ah well so worth it god of war kicks [DELETED]!!!

+ APVangeliLHS on July 27th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

Every time I see more of this game I get worried, because there is still as much screen tearing as there was since we first saw video of it… :(

HOPEFULLY this isn’t an issue with the final product… It would suck and I don’t know if I would buy it if it still has this problem by launch.

But so far it looks AMAZING! Even compared to chains of olympus, which seemed like full potential a few years ago!!!

+ JVBGFR on July 27th, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

The only thing wrong is the Kratos character model. You guys used the one from God of War II, which is after this game. His loin cloth shouldn’t be that torn up. It got torn up like that because of the Colosus of Rhodes. The belt is also wrong because that belt is from his God of War armor. He should still have the belt from God of War I. The shin guards and forearm guards are also wrong because those came from the God of War armor as well. If you guys can, you should go back and fix this stuff so it’s more accurate. Shouldn’t he be wearing the God of War armor anyways? Another thing, does this game void out God of War: Betrayal? That would be nice to know for us God of War fans/historians?

+ gbear240 on July 27th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

the price would most likely be 40 bucks and that a bargain for a game like this GOW rocks best game series ever!!!!!!:0

+ xuipid on July 27th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

looking good. better have a good price digitally…

+ zekececil14 on July 27th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

Wow if I was mistaken I would believe that to be a PS3 game. Eat your heart out nintendo 3ds!

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on July 27th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

If this game is longer than the first one I’ll buy it at launch, if it’s another short game I’ll wait for the price to drop. I expect it to be a great game though, good work.

+ BeerManMike on July 27th, 2010 at 3:17 pm said:

I wish i was there…

I would have asked why don’t they acknowledge that GoW3 has a huge amount of freezing issues that make the game unplayable and so far they done nothing about it, no patch or anything to address it. I had to sell my GoW3 game because of this, only 5 hours or so into it. The lack of support sucks and i’ll gladly never purchase another santa monica studio game again.

+ xeno3d on July 27th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

@17

I played completely through GoW 3 and did not experience any freezing issues at all. Maybe the issue was with your PS3?

+ JVBGFR on July 27th, 2010 at 3:30 pm said:

@BeerManMike, first of all, the guys doing Ghost of Sparta (more specificly the guys at Comic-Con) didn’t do God of War III so they wouldn’t have any say on that matter. Secondly, I’ve never experienced the problems you mentioned in God of War III.

@Solid-Snake-Eyes, it’ll be longer.

+ Mercerius on July 27th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

That was brutal! I’m SO looking forward to this!

+ BeerManMike on July 27th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

@17 & @18

There are 33 pages on the official GoW forums in one thread out of many about this, ranging from old 60gb PS3s to new slim PS3s, doing all the official “fixes” Sony said they had for them and still not working, to trading in the new unscratched game in for a new game and still having the problem. My game would freeze at the same spot every time even after doing 3-4 “fixes” while all the other PS3 games i had work fine. Many people stopped posting the in 33 page thread and probably sold the game like i did so even if Sony put out a patch or some fix it wouldn’t matter because no one is going to keep a game that they can’t play at all.

As for this team not being responsible for GoW3, i appologise for placing blame. But even thought GoW3 had nothing to do with your team, it still left a sour taste in my mouth that affects you unfortunately as i will not purchase any more GoW or Santa Monica Studio products ever.

+ zombie9 on July 27th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

Looks great and a must buy:)
But I’m still having a hard time puting peace walker down. Who said we was gettin no games this summer well U should try Metal Gear Peace Walker. And then tell me we got no good games this summer.
Kratos hes the MAN what can I say:p

+ BlazeKush420 on July 27th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

Should be also put on PS store so I can play it on my PS3 and get trophies.
I would buy it then.
Plus I dont like the PSP. One joystick = me no buy

+ TallCrowe on July 27th, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

I am frothing and foaming, but mostly frothing.

+ MRGHS on July 27th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

It should have been for the ps3 not psp on ps3 therem will be better graphics and the big screen is much better than small pap screens

+ TheTwelve on July 27th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

This is a PSP game????

+ AxeCain on July 27th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

Is there a PS Store update this week?

+ alfian2 on July 27th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

isn’t this spoiler???

+ BalramRules on July 27th, 2010 at 4:32 pm said:

this game is just HECTIC! XD

+ atomsk20 on July 27th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

I NEED THIS GAME NOW! I cant wait lol

+ trev456 on July 27th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

I might have to buy a PSP just for this game…

+ KidCommando on July 27th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Looks great!

+ fuzzyclutter on July 27th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

EXERPT TAKEN FROM MAFIA 2 interview .

PlayStation.Blog: Why go with Empire Bay instead of New York City?

Jack Scalici: It’s New York, with a little bit of influence of Chicago, with a bit of San Francisco mixed in there. But when you do New York you have to do it right, and it has to be exact, and you’ll get some psychopaths on the forums who’ll take a map of New York City, and a map of your game and point out everything that you did wrong and bad .

post number 13 above is a GREAT SPECIMEN of what jack was talking about LOL anyway … great video .

+ Vergil3690 on July 27th, 2010 at 5:26 pm said:

What was it that Midas said right before he got killed? I can’t understand him.

+ JVBGFR on July 27th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

@34, thanks for calling me out, my point is that the character model isn’t consistent with the story here. They could of easily reused the model from Chains of Olympus, polished him, and gave him the Blades of Athena, but they went with the model that chronologically doesn’t exist yet. It’s not a huge deal, it would just be nice if it was consistent. I mean they fixed the Blades like the guy mentioned in the video cause fans saw that they were wrong.

My big question is with God of War: Betrayal. Does this game void it like it never happened or what?

+ remanutd5 on July 27th, 2010 at 6:59 pm said:

so when can i pre order the game on PSN so i can get all the PRE ORDER DLC GOODIES?

+ TNTbkNY on July 27th, 2010 at 11:42 pm said:

this game and Chains of Olympus is why i bought a new psp… (blood red edition ftw!!)

+ Zhi13 on July 28th, 2010 at 12:44 am said:

im pumped for this!
give release dayyyy :)

+ Shadowhedgy on July 28th, 2010 at 8:53 am said:

Won’t be available someday a PS3 version of both PSP releases?
It would be Awesome, and a must buy.
Unfortunately, i havent played Chains of Olympus.

+ DaPrintz on July 28th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Anything god of war is quality. Gaming at its best imo. Now if we could get trophies 4 psp……….

+ DEVIL7LOVE on July 28th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

GOD OF WAR is so freaking cool

i love this game its worth my life

SONY the best ….but the customs FIRMWARE NEW ONES NUH NOT COOL

sorry its just opinion

+ APVangeliLHS on July 29th, 2010 at 9:18 pm said:

PLAYSTATION!!!

Make this Blood Red PSPgo with cool print on the back as a special edition!!!!!!!

(Link to PSForums: http://bit.ly/bH37Fi)

PLEASE!!! :D