Ahhhh — a nice, quiet weekend means it’s a perfect time to catch up on some games! I’m about to dive into some DeathSpank and Critter Crunch, which is currently free for PlayStation Plus subscribers. And maybe, just maybe, some Just Cause 2. Why? Just ’cause. (LOLs)
What will you be playing this weekend?
- Comic-Con: True Blood Digital Comic Voucher — This giveaway gave some lucky PSP owners a chance to nibble on the new True Blood Digital Comic. Note: the voucher has expired!
- PlayStation Move hands-on: Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition — I went hands-on with this PlayStation Move-compatible horror shooter, learning more details about the precision and interface.
- DC Universe Online for PS3: Full Comic-Con trailer — Blur Studio (highly regarded for game cinematics) created this eye-popping battle royale between Superman and Lex Luthor.
- ModNation Monday: Creations of the Week — More top ModNation creations, as well as word that a patch date isn’t far off.
- Next PS3 Firmware Update Adds PlayStation Store Recommendations — Games and videos get easier to find thanks to a new “You May Like” component to the PlayStation Store — see how it works in the full post.
- Dead Space 2, Ignition, Extraction, Aftermath, and Salvage — Producer Rich Briggs answers your questions on Dead Space 2, the PS3-exclusive HD Dead Space Extraction, and Dead Space Ignition
- MAG v1.07 Available Early August — Some serious enhancements are coming to MAG — read on to get the full list of tweaks and new features to expect from this free update.
- Blade Kitten for PS3: Artificial Intelligence, Physics in a 2D World — I enjoyed this writeup from the game’s senior programmer, who describes the development challenges of creating a modern 2D game.
- God of War: Ghost of Sparta Comic-Con Panel, New “Midas” Video — Kratos takes out his rage on Midas’s face, and Ready At Dawn talks about the lore behind God of War: Ghost of Sparta in this video two-shot.
- PlayStation Store Update — Price drops, tons of free games for PlayStation Plus subscribers, and demos for Madden 11, Kane & Lynch 2, Flower, and Section 8.
- Scott Pilgrim vs The World Soundtrack Goes Old School — Chiptune rockers Anamanaguchi debut soundtrack samples from the upcoming PSN Scott Pilgrim game — give them a listen!
- Hands-on: PixelJunk Shooter 2 for PS3 — I learned more about the new light/dark dynamic, PixelJunk Eden-esque scenarios, and also answer a few reader questions.
- Digital Comics Store Update — Major updates this week, including the ability to purchase a complete digital comic series or story arc (with price savings!), plus new titles from IDW, Marvel, and DC.
- This Week in PlayStation Home: MAG Personal Space, Community Theater update — A new MAG Personal Space for Raven faction players, plus new Store items and a Community Theater update.
- Coming Tuesday to PSN: Earthworm Jim HD for PS3 — Groovy! The Annelid Avenger is coming to PSN next week, with new co-op play, Trophies, and more.
- Valkyria Chronicles II Coming to PSP Later this Summer — The sequel to the cult-hit PS3 game combines third-person shooting with strategy-RPG gameplay.
- PlayStation Network Video Content Update — Clash of the Titans, Batman: Under the Red Hood, and Jersey Shore. Plus a new Deal of the Week.
- inFAMOUS 2 Comic-Con Panel Highlights — Why can’t Cole climb chain-link fences? Some of your geekiest inFAMOUS 2 questions are answered in this tight recap video.
- Hands-on: Dead Nation for PS3 — Dead Nation expands upon their Super Stardust HD formula with upgradeable Shotguns and SMGs, looting, and a whole lotta zombies.
- The Challenges Behind Shank’s Co-Op Campaign — It’s not easy to add co-op play to a single-player game, but Shank’s developers explain how they made the jump. A good read!
Courtesy of Jeremy Dunham
- Influence MAG: Leaving Game Affects Win/Loss Record — Question: Should disconnects in MAG count as an automatic loss, or not? It’s completely up to you.
- Zipper Profile: Cade Myers — Cade has a deep history in the gaming industry with credits on Half-Life, Homeworld, Tribes and, of course, SOCOM.
Courtesy of Arne Meyer
- Video of our PAX East 2010 panel—Game Design with the Dogs — Naughty Dog made an appearance at the inaugural PAX East during our panel “Naughty Dog Live & Unleashed – Game Design with the Dogs.”
- Title Update 1.09 — Deployed to all regions this week, this Title Update included a host of important multiplayer modes updates. Along with changes to curb players from glitching, we are most proud of are the changes to medal values in all the Objective game types
- New PSN Avatars on Tuesday, July 27! — A set of heroes and villains from their UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune days: Nathan Drake, Elena Fisher, Gabriel Roman, Atoq Navarro, Eddy Raja, and Javier, along with Rika Raja and Daniel Pinkerton from the UNCHARTED: Eye of Indra motion comic (available on PSN).