PS4 - Transistor

Coming Soon to PSN: Who’s That Flying?! for PSP and PS3

Paul Croft's Avatar + Posted by Paul Croft on Aug 04, 2010 // Co-Founder & Creative Director, Mediatonic

Mediatonic is a small indie games studio based in the UK. Earlier this year we released the PlayStation minis game Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess!.

Who's That Flying?! for PS3 and PSP (PlayStation mini)

Today, I’m super excited to reveal the first details of our brand new PlayStation minis title — Who’s That Flying!? This summary from the games writer and producer Jim is a great overview on what you can expect:

You are the mysterious and powerful creature known only as the “Guardian of Earth.” Your steely eye and HYPER-POWERED LASER ARM have kept the citizens of Earth safe for generations (as well as proving a hit with the ladies).

With all your awesome TALENT and FLAIR, surely it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a sudden and devastating invasion of colossal Doom Beasts to descend on your cities and cause havoc without your knowledge? (Even if you were MAYBE showboating for a magazine photo shoot at the time…)

Now, you must not only defend your cities from the ravenous hordes of Doom Beasts, you must defend yourself against accusations of gross incompetence from the Galactic Council of Justice! And this is all BEFORE you can even start to get to the bottom of just who OR what is really behind the attacks…

It’s a side-scrolling shooter meets tower defense (with courtroom drama and intrigue!) doused in sheer awesomeness… AND THEN SET ON FIRE.

Who's That Flying?! for PS3 and PSP (PlayStation mini)

At the centre of the game is the Story mode, which follows the hero through 15 levels across six worlds protecting the Earth from the invasion of the Doom Beasts. Like our previous game Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess, the story mode in WTF?! features beautiful animated cut-scenes as you unravel the mysteries of the invasion. In WTF?! these scenes are set in the chambers of the Galactic council with the Guardian of Earth being interviewed on his actions.

The game’s core mechanic is a mixture of side-scrolling shooting and tower defense. As the hero you must prevent a certain number of enemies from escaping into the city in each level in order to save the city from the invasion.

Who's That Flying?! for PS3 and PSP (PlayStation mini) Who's That Flying?! for PS3 and PSP (PlayStation mini)

As the ultra-powerful hero you’re both awesome and indestructible, but getting hit will put you out of action for a while — giving your enemies a chance to escape. If you let too many enemies past you, the city will be destroyed and you’ll lose the level.

In addition to the Story mode, the game has four different “infinite” mode levels and a special challenge mode with 25 unique challenges to tackle. We’ve managed to squeeze in a lot of great content.

Who's That Flying?! for PS3 and PSP (PlayStation mini)

We’ve finished the game and are currently going through the age-rating process, so at present we’re anticipating a launch in early September. For breaking news on the game as it happens you can follow us on Twitter.

If anyone has any questions I’m happy to answer them — just post them in the comments below!

PAGE 1 2

+ Hooligantuan on August 4th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

What’s with the black flying sperm things?

+ Hooligantuan on August 4th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

Oh my mistake, on the smaller picture those little puffs trailing behind looked like a tail.

+ gameboy36 on August 4th, 2010 at 12:53 pm said:

I bought Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess yesterday because of the half-off deal thing. Epic game.

I’ll probably buy this too, since I’ve been waiting for a good side scrolling shooter, and this will (probably) deliver.

Question: How much MB will this take up? MPSMP was literally 1 MB too much (lol).

Paul Croft's Avatar

+ Paul Croft on August 4th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

Thanks for buying Monsters!

We’re not sure on the exact filesize yet (it changes a little when we go through final compression for the store). There’s a lot of content, assets and animation – we’ve had to plan things carefully when building the game to squeeze it all into the filesize.

+ robertmc8 on August 4th, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

Hi Paul would we see high score leader board like Shatter? I love High score games :). Is this going be mini or trophy support game? Please added your own music support in the game :). People would love you for it.

Paul Croft's Avatar

+ Paul Croft on August 4th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

We would love to put in leaderboards and trophies but at the moment we can’t do this because of the restrictions on minis :(

If Sony change the policy we’ll do an update with those features.

+ origamikid on August 4th, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

Sorry other thing I forgot to ask is: Are you guys doing press/interviews in the run up to release? If so what is the correct email address to contact you via?

Cheers! I look forward to the trailer

Paul Croft's Avatar

+ Paul Croft on August 4th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

We are indeed! Best thing to do is to drop us an email via the contact form on our website and we’ll get in touch

+ RyuuNoSekai on August 4th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

holy crap! i just i noticed this was made by you guys after seeing the article on another site o_o

definitely looking forward to this! Monster (Probably) Stole my Princess was the first Mini i didn’t regret purchasing!

+ nixice on August 4th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

So glad Mediatonic is doing a second Minis — Monsters was one of the greatest simple pleasures available on the PlayStation Store and I’m eager to see what kind of magic you guys weave in the shooter genre.

Paul Croft's Avatar

+ Paul Croft on August 4th, 2010 at 4:28 pm said:

Awesome! Thanks for great comments everyone!

If you liked M(P)SMP then I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy WTF?! :)

+ FunkyTable on August 4th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

Is abbreviating the game WTF related in any way to the other WTF acronym?

+ DNAgent on August 4th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess was awesome and this game is looking like another awesome game. Hopefully Mediatonic will move on to make full PSN downloadable games and even retail games.

+ nixice on August 4th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

FunkyTable – Dunno if this WTF and the other WTF have meaning, but this is actually the SECOND game on PlayStation Portable that could be abbreviated WTF. The first was called “Work Time Fun”.

Enjoy pondering that triva, hopefully a video trailer shows up soon for Who’s That Flying and we can ignore every other game but this one…

+ DarthDanMan on August 4th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

I’ll (Probably) get thise, and when you say diffrent worlds do you mean worlds other than Earth or diffrent groups of levels?

Paul Croft's Avatar

+ Paul Croft on August 5th, 2010 at 1:11 am said:

There are different groups of levels set in different locations on Earth (New York, Tokyo, etc)

+ Shinra_Soilder on August 4th, 2010 at 8:08 pm said:

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess was really funny and the twist at the end was so priceless. The Duke is awesome.:D
Since I enjoyed that one, I’m sure I will enjoy this one.
Can the Duke make a cameo in this or another game?
Also can I expect another twist at the end? ^_^

Paul Croft's Avatar

+ Paul Croft on August 5th, 2010 at 1:15 am said:

Great to hear you liked the Monsters story!

We’ve put a lot of work into the WTF story and cutscenes, I can’t comment on any plot twists though ;)

+ snake447 on August 4th, 2010 at 8:53 pm said:

can you tell us how many times MSPSM was downloaded ? in other words how many digital units were sold

+ Zoomguy53 on August 4th, 2010 at 9:13 pm said:

This game looks pretty good. I didn’t really care much for minis but this one caught my eye and made me a little more interested in minis. I’m putting this game on my radar and if I had $5 on PSN I would buy it. I’m looking forward to getting my first mini.

+ DarthDanMan on August 5th, 2010 at 8:01 am said:

Thank you for the reply, so what are the cities then New York, Tokyo and judgeing by the pictures i’d say Moscow and maybe Egypt?

+ itzknickknac on August 6th, 2010 at 7:19 am said:

I am getting tired of the excessive use of the “WTF” (ie Work Time Fun) so I’m not really akin to the title, imo. Other than that this game looks like a lot of fun, I would like to play it.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on August 7th, 2010 at 9:17 pm said:

I REALLY love the title of this game.

+ utube_REALDJHERO on August 7th, 2010 at 10:08 pm said:

heyy thank uu 4 all da good comments im NOW gonna go buy my very first mini EVA just because of this blog N i didn’t even watch da game on utube yet NO NEED i will just buy

+ Elvick_ on August 10th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess, is hilarious and I love it. Can’t wait to get this game as well.

PAGE 1 2