PlayStation Music

Aug 04

Ys Seven Comes to PSP in August

Tom Lipschultz's Avatar Posted by Tom Lipschultz on Aug 04, 2010 // Localization Specialist, XSEED

Greetings from well beyond the “dangerous sea area” west of Canaan! I’m XSEED’s resident Falcom nut and one of their localization specialists. I’ve been bugging Ken at XSEED via email for years now to localize games from Falcom’s extensive catalogue of awesomeness, and was always really pleased with the detailed responses he’d send back. Our emails bloomed into entire conversation threads, and eventually, once XSEED and Falcom established their partnership, Ken offered me a job — which I gladly accepted! Now all your Falcom scripts are belong to me. Mwa ha ha!

Ys Seven will be the first game released as part of the XSEED/Falcom partnership (aka the GREATEST TEAM-UP EVER), and is currently scheduled to ship on August 17th, 2010. In North America, three versions of the game will be available: the UMD version ($29.99), the PSN download version (also $29.99), and of course, the faaaaabulous limited edition box-set version ($49.99), which will include the game on UMD, a ludicrously gorgeous cloth map of Europe (the Ys series Europe, which is pronounced “eh-ROH-pay”), a one-disc “Ys Seven Musical Selections” CD, and a 60+ page art book containing various works from Ys Seven, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Ys I & II (as well as a brief cameo by some Ys VI characters).

Ys Seven for PSPYs Seven for PSP

Ys Seven will also be available in Europe, but only as a PSN download, and I’m afraid the price is yet to be determined. Sorry, European fans! (Europan fans?)

Now, the all-important question: Why should you buy the game?

Well, how about because it’s AWESOME?!?! Seriously, if you’ve never played a Falcom game before, you’re about to be blown away by this one. Falcom games, and especially Ys games, are generally characterized by three things:

• Insanely fast-paced, action-packed gameplay. Turn-based? HA! Ys eats turn-based RPGs for breakfast, then regurgitates them and launches them at beings of ancient evil just because it can.
  • 80s power rock- and metal-inspired soundtracks. These are often performed in the studio by Falcom’s in-house band. I dare anyone to hear the riff at the beginning of Ys Seven’s main boss theme “Vacant Interference” and NOT get totally pumped for the battle ahead!
  • “Less is more” storylines. This means a greater focus on fun gameplay and interesting, well-developed settings than on plot twists and epic ironies (Going along with the music, think of Ys as the rock opera to every other RPG series’ novella!)

Ys Seven for PSPYs Seven for PSP

With nine playable characters (in parties of three at a time), 98 unique skills (84 of which have unique variations apiece — and these skills aren’t just for show), a robust crafting system (that will keep you searching every nook and cranny of every dungeon), and a story that will last you anywhere from 30 to 90 hours (my final playtime was 72 hours, but I’ve been playing a lot since then to level up my skills and craft the best armor for everyone, putting me well over the 80-hour mark, with tons more yet to do), Ys Seven is easily the best portable game on the market… or will be, once it ships in North America on August 17th.

Get yourself ready to finally play an Ys game straight from Falcom’s own studio rather than a third-party interpretation of an Ys game, which is all we’ve ever gotten in English until now). And put in your orders for the LE box ASAP, since they may sell out once everyone in the world realizes this game is awesomeness incarnate and rushes out to buy it.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Flamfas984 on August 6th, 2010 at 7:57 am said:

Tom, thank you for responding to Stuart’s comment! I’m glad SOMEONE is looking out for us (because Namco seems to be ignoring us)!

So, you want to bring Tales games, but obviously this requires Namco’s permission/license/something or other.

My questions: Are you able to open talks with Namco about the subject? Or do you have to wait for them to come to you?

And in 2011, when Namco Bandai Games America and Namco Networks America merge, Kenji Hisatsune will be the new CEO/president of Namco Bandai Games. Would a change in office that high up be of help towards Tales localizations? Or is the obstacle elsewhere (like Namco Bandai Japan?)?

And lastly. XSeed published Fragile Dreams in the US, right? And Fragile was published by NB in Japan … Do you think this previous working relationship will help you get a hold of Tales titles?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and it would be great if you could respond.

Tom Lipschultz's Avatar

+ Tom Lipschultz on August 6th, 2010 at 9:40 am said:

I can’t really comment on any of that. Honestly, I’ve probably already said way more than I should. I’m afraid I’ve gotten everyone’s hopes up, which I didn’t mean to do. There are a lot of reasons why we would WANT to release the games, but just as many reasons why we might not be ABLE to; and unfortunately, the latter may ultimately outweigh the former. All I can say is that we’ll do what we can. And unfortunately, specific information on our relationships with other companies is something we can’t really discuss.

I hate to give such an “official”-sounding answer, but subjects like these are tricky to address without people reading all kinds of subtext into them. And I honestly didn’t mean any subtext whatsoever here: I literally just meant that we know how much fans want to see Tales games released stateside, we’d love to release them, and we’ll look into that possibility, but we can’t guarantee anything at all.

+ JP_Corp on August 6th, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

While I do want Tales games in the US, I don’t think it is right to keep spamming XSEED’s page (while they’re promoting their own game) about other company’s games. =)

Anyway, I loved Ys VI… Looking forward to Ys VII.

+ Jugiatsu on August 6th, 2010 at 8:40 am said:

I remember playing 1&2 on the DS and I own Oath of Felghana and Ark of Naphtism (sp?). I cannot wait to play this one. I am amazed at the effort your PR department has gone to keep in touch with the fans. Pre-ordered for sure. Keep up the good work and let us know when new info hits. This is the kind of advertising and marketing these game series needs. I am happy to see all the comments this has received so far. In the future you guys should continue to advertise to the fans directly and maybe even ask for their support in promoting the game for you.

I know it sounds really bad to keep bringing this up as you have addressed other people, but this has got to keep be reiterated. The Tales series. You have GOT to find a way to get Namco-Bandai to ease up on their licenses. We are desperate for this series to hit our shores, especially the PS3 version of Vesperia and the future Tales of Graces and other future Tales titles. The same target market that buys Ys and games such as these are mostly Tales fans. As I stated above, if you need the communities help, ASK! That is what we are here for. We will definitly scratch your backs if you scratch ours. Heck, I’ll even come out there and give ya a massage =)

Tom Lipschultz's Avatar

+ Tom Lipschultz on August 6th, 2010 at 9:51 am said:

I don’t know if that’s a kind offer, or a creepy one. ;) But either way, thanks for your support! Like I said, we’ll do what we can. But honestly, from Bandai Namco’s point of view, campaigning to get *us* to release their games is probably not encouraging in the slightest! If you guys want to see more Tales games released stateside, you should let Bandai Namco know you’d like to see THEM release the titles. Let them know you’re interested! Might send the wrong message to them if you tell them you’d like to see other companies release their games, y’know? That’d be like saying to George Lucas, “Dude, I love Star Wars! Won’t you please let Tim Burton have the license to it?” George Lucas would just be like, whaaaa…? ;)

But yeah, we’ve got some Tales fans over here too, and whether they release the games or we release the games or Atlus releases the games or NIS releases the games or WHOEVER releases the games… we’d be really happy to play them in English ourselves! ;)

+ Leivra on August 6th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

I love Ys series (but not as much as my love to Tales series). I just want to say thank you for localizing all Ys games for the PSP, I still remember the day when you announced that you’ll going to localize them. It was a very happy day for me.
I’ll happily look forward for Ys seven, and I’ll wait patiently for the other two Ys games.

Thanks Tom and to all XSEED staff for bringing Ys games to us. ^_^

+ megamixer on August 6th, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

On the off chance you get around to reading this, I was wondering if you knew what the file size of this games will be on PSN? A nice small file size would make the difference between me getting the UMD and the digital version. Brave Story is a mere 147mb and that’s a full fledged rpg, which gives me hope this game may be on the small side since it has only minimal voice overs. So like if its south of 600mb I’ll nuke my amazon pre-order and go digital! :D

Tom Lipschultz's Avatar

+ Tom Lipschultz on August 6th, 2010 at 6:20 pm said:

We don’t have an exact size just yet, but it looks like it WILL be larger than 600 MB — probably somewhere in the 700-800 range. Sorry!

PAGE 1 2 3