No Man's Sky

Euro Event Report – James Bond: Blood Stone for PS3

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Aug 05, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Activision and Bizarre Creations unveiled their latest Bond game at an event in London (of course!) recently. Luckily, we had our own debonair English secret agent covertly in attendance. Here’s what SCEE’s Keating – Barry Keating – observed at the reveal James Bond: Blood Stone for PS3.

While we may have to wait a little longer for the next installment in the James Bond series, gamers and Bond fans can take a quantity of solace in the fact that the suave super agent is getting the videogame treatment from blur developer, Bizarre Creations with James Bond: Blood Stone, a wholly original 007 epic penciled in for release later in 2010.

While much of the plot – from a script by Bruce Feirstein, the writer behind GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough – is being kept under wraps for now, we do know that Blood Stone’s globe trotting thrills and spills are set against a backdrop that involves the diamond trade, a missing scientist and a new Bond Girl: Joss Stone. Yes, Joss Stone. The lovely Miss Stone, who was in attendance at the announcement, has also co-written and performed the games’ theme song ‘I’ll Take It All’ with former Eurythmics man, Dave Stewart; it’s a catchy one!

Activision49

At the swanky event, Activision and developer Bizarre Creations showcased the game’s opening mission, a self-contained pre-credit sequence that owes much to the way the movies are structured. Consider it a whopping great teaser for the level of wanton destruction that’s about to ensue as you hunt the bad guys across a slew of gorgeously designed locations in true Bond style.

Set in Athens, this sequence sees the fledgling agent with a license to kill hot on the heels of a bad guy holed up on a yacht. Parachuting from the back of passing plane, Bond quickly descends to the yacht taking out a few henchmen in quick succession with a combination of hand-to-hand combat and pistol action. As the action ramps up the pursuit turns into a speedboat duel as Bond guns it towards his goal, shooting bad guys in slo-mo and dodging collapsing buildings, before switching once again into a high speed car chase through the streets of Athens.

Then BAM! It ends as Bond rams his target off the road and the theme song kicks in. Although it was only a ten minute demo, the intent of which was to highlight the varying gameplay elements, I was hugely impressed – it’s just a shame that I didn’t get to play it; strictly hands-off at the moment.

Activision52

What I did glean from the event was this: it’s a 70/30 split between on-foot and driving missions (there are six according to the developer). By performing melee attacks through a simple button tap you can earn up to three Focus Kills, which allow you to mark and execute villains in quick succession – ideal for sticky situations, then!

There was no mention of multiplayer, but being that this is a Bond game, and Bizarre Creations are known for weaving superb multiplayer components (check out Blur and The Club and you’ll see what I mean) into their titles, I’m assuming it’s a given. I’m definitely excited to see where this one goes, and what kind of missions Bizarre and Activision will reveal before the game arrives later in the year.

47 Comments

+ G1283 on August 5th, 2010 at 6:09 am said:

alright! gigidy

+ korgon117 on August 5th, 2010 at 6:20 am said:

A James Bond game made just for games and not based on a movie? And the story is from the writer of goldeneye, my favorite Bond movie!? (And game of course) YES I WANT PLEASE!!

+ CDubyahS on August 5th, 2010 at 6:25 am said:

wow. Quantumof Solace was awesome with its lock picking mini game and sniper level. Now add racing action and I am sure this will be a hit. Set in Athens, I CANNOT WAIT! FOR ENGLAND, JAMEs!

+ TorgoTime on August 5th, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

I am boycotting Activision

+ Girdzy on August 5th, 2010 at 6:29 am said:

I want.

+ texas_ride on August 5th, 2010 at 6:44 am said:

looks alright, too bad activision is the publisher

+ samuraix98 on August 5th, 2010 at 7:05 am said:

Hopefully Blood Stone will be easier to pass for dear old James than a Kidney Stone…Either way since we probably wont be getting a new feature film for a while this will ease my appetite.

Is Daniel Craig and Dame Judi Dench set up for doing their original voices?

+ KidCommando on August 5th, 2010 at 7:30 am said:

Activision only gets used sales from me; if any at all.

+ matt64man on August 5th, 2010 at 7:33 am said:

Any news about Split Screen or Online Multiplayer?

+ matt64man on August 5th, 2010 at 7:35 am said:

oh i finished reading it D:

+ ExcelKnight on August 5th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

Pretty good, looking forward to seeing more of it. I’m still hoping the next movie won’t die, since last I read it was in limbo and things weren’t looking good.

+ Heisem on August 5th, 2010 at 8:24 am said:

@4
i share your commment

+ theassassin800 on August 5th, 2010 at 8:26 am said:

I will be buying this used specifically so that Activision won’t get any of my money… Looks good, though.

+ Eat-JEll0 on August 5th, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

Was that a Javelin is seek?

+ TempleofDog on August 5th, 2010 at 8:46 am said:

Can’t wait to hear the theme song. 1/2 of Eurythmics plus Joss Stone should be really good. I’ve never been disappointed in a Bond game so I can’t wait to play this one.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on August 5th, 2010 at 8:56 am said:

Activision? no thanks, I’m not buying anything from them until it’s policies of DLC and stuff are changed. Same for Capcom

+ NelsonXVCT on August 5th, 2010 at 9:03 am said:

I like it! :)

+ eaglefan129 on August 5th, 2010 at 9:07 am said:

Why is everone hatin on Activision? What did I miss this week? (Inififty Ward) Well you guys that are hatin you know your going to get Black Ops anyway so why bother “Boycotting” them.

+ BlooodyCow on August 5th, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

@4 TorgoTime
@7 KidCommando
@14 ROLO_ONFIRE

well said

+ SarshelYam on August 5th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

@14

+ ProwlingFox on August 5th, 2010 at 9:28 am said:

i really loved “Everything or Nothing” for ps2…this one looks like it won’t disappoint. too bad it’s not ps3 exclusive. that always seems to make games 10x better.

+ Whitefire78 on August 5th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

If you check there website, they already announced multiplayer :). The gameplay is already on the interwebs. To bad activision is publishing it :(((((((.

+ APVangeliLHS on August 5th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

POOOOOOOOO.

WHEN will they make a 007 game for the PSP?

Everything or Nothing was a nice game… EA or whoever made it should make it for the PSP… Or something like it…

It just makes me slightly sad that the PSP misses out on these awesome games.

+ Microshock on August 5th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

Looks amazing to me. Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond ever and my favorite male actor so I feel like I NEED TO get this.

+ MadMeat001 on August 5th, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

it’s look like playstation love to support movie/tvShow game lately, to this mean we will see one of adult-swim cartoon turning into a psn game? hope so! :D

+ chopper731 on August 5th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

@ExcelKnight

The film was permanently canceled. :(

The only hope now is that somebody buys the rights to make the movies from MGM. Surely somebody will… it is just a matter of time.

+ Jeigh on August 5th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

I’m sure there’s a legitimate reason, but I too am unsure as to why we hate Activision (right now). Really, the only developer I’m currently annoyed with is Square Enix, but that’s starting to fade… scumbags.

Anyway, looks nice. I’m not really a fan of James Bond (and I _really_ don’t like the trademark JB music that always plays- not catchy or aurally pleasing in the slightest) but it looks like a good amount of work has gone into this thing.

(Perhaps they should work something out with a piano and violin, the universally recognized most beautiful instruments known to mankind and the few alien species I keep in my basement, away from the prying eyes of the government…)

+ APVangeliLHS on August 5th, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

@27

Isn’t it because every five minutes a new guitar hero game comes out?

+ chopper731 on August 5th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

I don’t like Activision either but I will buy this game because I am a huge James Bond fan and this is actually looking quite good.

Not sure what Alien basement boy is talking about violins and pianos… I love the horns and guitar in the music.

+ BigPoppaB on August 5th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

In the optimistic side… Bizarre are a top notch developer

On the pessimistic side… they just released Blur in the spring. How much development time could have actually went into this, if its already releasing soon?

+ LUGIEZ on August 5th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

Indeed! Finally someone besides EA takes a shot at trying to match the quality of the early Bond games.

+ HolmWrecker on August 5th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

This ‘could’ be awesome. They better do it justice. The possibilities of mayhem/fun are endless in a wide open Bond game.
Please tell me it’s a sandbox game!

+ KazeEternal on August 5th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

@27
There are plenty of reasons every year to hate activision.

The shameless exploitation of their IPs would probably be the first that comes to mind. Guitar Hero has been driven into the ground and poorly managed. I can’t even look at Guitar Hero without feeling disgusted. If they handled their DLC more like Rock Band and didn’t bleed the GH brand each year I probably wouldn’t have such disdained for that.

Then there is CoD every fricken year, guess what it’s escalated and now EA is getting in on it. It’s gotten to the point that I’ve just crossed every FPS off my list with the exception of Killzone 3. At least Insomniac and Guerrilla have some common sense. Handling of Infinity Ward doesn’t help matters.

I’m guessing new IP’s, a more broader selection of genre’s, and less shameless exploitation of IP’s would be awesome.

The list goes on and I find fewer and fewer reasons to like activision each time something pops up in the news about them. EA has at least put a smile on my face for at least trying to fix things and not exploiting the hell out of Rock Band.

Then there are quality control issues, where it seems like they just crap out a new IP every once in awhile as after thought. Singularity anyone?

+ Kirkpad on August 5th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

@33 Not to mention the big legal fiasco between Infinity Ward’s employees and Activision regarding MW2. I don’t like CoD games, but this was pretty huge.

Look at this video to see how many people LEFT Infinity Ward after that (and then formed Respawn Entertainment because they needed money): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYX0r8QbTys

+ Stoffinator on August 5th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

I think I will pass thanks. I didn’t like Quantum of Solace. And not a huge fan of Activision these days.

+ Zoryu_of_Setsuna on August 5th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Love how the Javelin shoots straight. I thought it’s supposed to go in the air and drop down on it’s target…

Any going to look out for this haven’t played a Bond game in ages.

+ BalramRules on August 5th, 2010 at 3:25 pm said:

CAN’T WAIT! XD

+ xMirage on August 5th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

Looks more like a psp game than a ps3 game

+ MadMeat001 on August 5th, 2010 at 3:40 pm said:

39@ don’t say that!

+ MadMeat001 on August 5th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

outside

+ MadMeat001 on August 5th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

tool

+ xMirage on August 5th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

Triple post ftl???

+ KingDubin on August 5th, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

Is it me, or does Joss Stone (if that’s really her in that picture) looks SMOKIN’ HOT with that outfit and her hair like that?

WWWOOWWWZZZAAAA!!!!

+ pitythefool852 on August 5th, 2010 at 8:03 pm said:

It looks like it could be great, and the trailer to me has a similar feel, but unfortunately not graphics, as Uncharted 2.

I hope all that craziness is going on in-game and not in cutscenes

+ Deathwish88 on August 5th, 2010 at 9:25 pm said:

The question we should all be asking is if it will be like or better than Everything or Nothing? That is the best original Bond game ever

+ trustkill on August 6th, 2010 at 9:19 am said:

if the gameplay can match the trailer, i’m sold.

+ insrob on August 8th, 2010 at 7:48 pm said:

If it plays as great as it looks, I’m in.