PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Mafia II’s PS3-Exclusive DLC: The Betrayal of Jimmy

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Aug 06, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Last month, the name “Jimmy’s Vendetta” leaked out, along with a list of PlayStation 3 Trophies that appeared to be from the previously-confirmed PS3-exclusive Mafia II downloadable content.

Mafia II The Betrayal of Jimmy DLC

As it turns out, that DLC will be coming down the line. Before Jimmy can get going on that vendetta – he’s got to be double-crossed. That, as it turns out, is the source material for The Betrayal of Jimmy DLC, available at free at launch, exclusively for the PS3 version of Mafia II.

The Betrayal of Jimmy is almost an arcade-style take on the Mafia II experience. The team took the most fun elements from the game: shooting, driving, stealing, etc in a open world, and made it a point-based romp, complete with leaderboards. It’s all about fast cars, blowing stuff up, hitting top speeds, and really taking advantage of the open city. If Mafia II is an expansive story, then The Betrayal of Jimmy is instant gratification.

Unlike in the main Mafia II storyline, you’ll rack up points for drifting, high speed driving, headshots, kill combos and more. Points pop up right on the screen, arcade style and giant, flashy icons like arrows point at targets – something you’d never see in the more authentically 1940s and 50s setting from the primary game mode.

Mafia II The Betrayal of Jimmy DLC Mafia II The Betrayal of Jimmy DLC

That’s not to say it’s all run and gun – there’s some story to give the mode substance to bring it together. 2K included new cut-scenes and voice acting to keep production quality consistent from the main game.

About that story… Jimmy’s a lot different than Vito, the protagonist in the main game’s plot. While Vito is more of a Henry Hill-esque character – a good guy that gets drawn into becoming a goodfella, Jimmy’s been getting his hands dirty for a long time. With a shaved head, all-black attire, and dark shades, Jimmy’s the kind of guy who you’d cross the street to avoid.

When Jimmy gets screwed over and doesn’t know what’s going on, he starts taking on missions from different crime families to try to uncover the truth. You’ll see some new families here, but some of the characters cross over the storylines, including the main character – the city of Empire Bay.

Mafia II The Betrayal of Jimmy DLC

While you can download The Betrayal of Jimmy on August 24th, the day Mafia II hits shelves, you’ll definitely wanna play through the main storyline first. There’s not a lot of exposition in this content pack; you’re immediately dropped into a gunfight where you’re outgunned and outflanked. Unlike Vito’s slow introduction to the world of organized crime in the main game, Jimmy’s already “leveled up” and spawns initially with multiple weapons. The whole city is open to you right at the start.

Now I tried to anticipate a few questions you Blog readers would come up with when we visited 2K this week to see the game in action:

• The Betrayal of Jimmy is not included on the disc – new copies of the game will contain a voucher to download it. If you pick the game up used, you’ll be able to purchase the DLC for $9.99.
  • While you can unlock Trophies during The Betrayal of Jimmy (we saw one earned during our playthrough for getting significant airtime in a car), there aren’t any mission-specific Trophies for this DLC.
  • The Jimmy’s Vendetta DLC will become available post-launch. No word on price.

With over 25 different missions, The Betrayal of Jimmy promises a meaty additional gameplay experience, and a nice bonus for PlayStation 3 owners looking to pick up Mafia II later this month.

+ Barnolde on August 6th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

Wow 25 missions! I’m liking the “extreme” take on this, reminds me of Free Ride Extreme from the first one.

Are there 2 separate DLC packs for this? Betrayal of Jimmy and Jimmy’s Vendetta? Or are they combined into 1 DLC code?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 6th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

Two seperate DLCs – You get Betrayal of Jimmy with the game Jimmy’s Vendetta is down the line.

+ BlazednSleepy on August 6th, 2010 at 12:38 pm said:

Is there gonna be any type of anti-aliasing in this game?

if so.. how much??

DLC looks great.

+ Lirion on August 6th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

Looking forward to this game.

+ Hooligantuan on August 6th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Woo, organized crime game.

+ GuitarrassDeAmor on August 6th, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

25 missions? Amazing. Mafia was great, just played through it all the way, despite niggles like getting caught for speeding (which makes it real). Pre-ordered the special edition, cannot wait!

+ Websblobs on August 6th, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

Contemplating this or LA Noire. So many titles of the same genre are released around the same time.

I’ll probably leave it up to the reviews.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 6th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

LA Noire doesn’t have a release date, Websblobs.

+ mew_frenger on August 6th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

sweeeeeeeeet, already pre-ordered!

+ Axecution on August 6th, 2010 at 1:17 pm said:

Cool! I just hope SONY didn’t shell out too much money for this. D:

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 6th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

Do you work in accounting?

+ Ghost_Shrimp on August 6th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

Awesome, I can’t wait to try out the demo. I love how the driving looks in the game.

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 6th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

Jimmy looks bad***, but the free DLC wont have trophies right?

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 6th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

sorry, my question is answered.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 6th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

See? I knew it’d be asked :)

+ g-unit-p on August 6th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

Kewl…
Another reason to buy mafia II

+ g-unit-p on August 6th, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

Sorry for double post but Are bothe the DLC’s Free

+ TheGuardianFID on August 6th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

You just sold me on the game Jeff, SOLD!!! 8)

+ King_Bobo on August 6th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

Sounds like an awesome bit of exclusive content. The fact that it’s so different from the rest of the game really separates itself from your average DLC and makes the PS3 version so much more attractive.
The PS3 is my platform of choice by miles, but I’m interested to know: why did they choose PS3 for the exclusive content?

+ MadMeat001 on August 6th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

yay dlc, hope it isn’t on the same disk like the one in bioshock 2

+ utopianacht on August 6th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

awesome work… I like the idea, consider it pre-ordered :P

+ Spike8891 on August 6th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

@G-unit-P: “Sorry for double post but Are bothe the DLC’s Free”

If you read the article he says the first DLC is free only if you buy the game new. If you buy it used you have to pay $9.99. He also said that no word has been said on the price of the next DLC.

@MadMeat001: “yay dlc, hope it isn’t on the same disk like the one in bioshock 2″

You have to use a voucher in the case to download the DLC from PSN.

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 6th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

+ poodude on August 6th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

I can’t wait for this game, I’ve been starved for a good single player game since summer began.

+ Enkei-Xpress on August 6th, 2010 at 3:17 pm said:

Nice one Sony! :D

SONY4LIFE

+ Enkei-Xpress on August 6th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

Nice one Sony! :D

+ PHILLYD_1230 on August 6th, 2010 at 3:32 pm said:

Can’t wait to play the game and the dlc any word on how long the main story is gonna be as it is an open world game.I’m sure it’s pretty long.

+ JnF_Gho5t on August 6th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

Thanks for posting all this great info. I can’t wait to try out the demo :D

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 6th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

This is what we are here for :)

+ wolfzero1 on August 6th, 2010 at 4:08 pm said:

I’m glad I decided to pre-order this on the PS3 instead of the 360 now, the 24th can’t get here fast enough

+ Spike8891 on August 6th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

@:That-acmilan-guy:”1 more question though, will the game require installation? If so, any idea how big?”

Since you have to get it from PSN it will most likely require installation.
The question is on whether or not it’ll be a small KB file, meaning the content is on disk, and the file will just unlock it.

Or if it’s around 200mb, which means the content will be off the disk. I doubt the file will be bigger than 500mb.

+ arha2 on August 6th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

The most excited I’ve been about a game in almost five years! Can not wait for the DLC, the demo, the game!

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 6th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

@Spike: No man i meant the game.

+ x_JoSplash_x on August 6th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

Thinking of getting this or waiting til Christmas. Good Job theres a demo coming :D

+ XenoNative on August 6th, 2010 at 9:04 pm said:

for everyone that lives on the east coast and is going to purchase the game there is a release party in the Bronx that’s being thrown by 2K Games. i heard about it on a podcast i was listening to, if u want the address hit me up the ps. my psn id is the same as u c here.

+ tropicalskin on August 6th, 2010 at 9:23 pm said:

this game looks good !!! probably it will be my first game that i will play made by 2K Games…but i’m sure that i will be please, good quality, keep up the good work !!!

+ iPuntBabies- on August 6th, 2010 at 11:52 pm said:

i like how yall are having a demo come out before the game, alot of people dont do that, and thats why the games dont sell

+ Spike8891 on August 7th, 2010 at 12:08 am said:

@that-acmilan-guy: Ah, My mistake. Although that is a good question. I am going to ask the official 2k forums, and see what the answer is.

+ nWo_Hellhound on August 7th, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

Damn! I need to play that demo, so excited:O

+ mike98nuno on August 7th, 2010 at 8:44 am said:

Will There Be Online For This Game????

+ MadMeat001 on August 7th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

PLAYSTATION I HAVE A QUESTION OUT OF SUBJECT:
will Scott Pilgrims vs. the world will ever be on PSP?
i hope so, it would do pretty well to me

+ MadMeat001 on August 7th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

OFFICIAL TOOL test

+ Pelt_Hunter on August 7th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

Mafia 2 is looking simply phenomenal. And by simply I mean complex. It all looks wonderfully deep and engaging. Unfortunately, even after being a serious PC gamer when it hit, I missed the first Mafia. I know it was on consoles but let’s be frank, when the first came out the PC was the platform to buy things on. The business model has changed to more console-centric development but it’s still a win-win for the consumer. Besides ever-rising prices.

+ hiphopandrnbfan on August 7th, 2010 at 6:05 pm said:

Just finished playing ‘Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune’, I really enjoyed Trophy Support being added to this game. I would love to see Trophy Support for ‘Heavenly Sword’. Plus it would give me another reason to play this game again.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on August 7th, 2010 at 9:13 pm said:

What I want to know is whether this game is as good on PS3 as 360. So many multi-platform games have been inferior on PS3 and I’m getting tired of it.

+ dojikyo on August 8th, 2010 at 12:16 am said:

@40 Then you’re going to be exhausted by the end of the generation. With the exception of Burnout and FF13, all of them are better on the 360.

A better question is how big the difference will be.

1. Burnout: almost identical
2. Dead Space/Mirror’s Edge: practically the same
3. Bayowrecka

+ gfm87 on August 8th, 2010 at 3:57 am said:

game good

+ Mikel1871 on August 8th, 2010 at 6:48 am said:

Pre Ordered this dog the first day i was able.Now im just chomping at the bit for release day.Hoping this holds me over until Nov.2 for my Gt5 fix.

+ GrimAssaSin805 on August 9th, 2010 at 3:52 am said:

looks like its going 2 b good

+ somethingatt on August 10th, 2010 at 7:08 pm said:

Hey, just played the demo and I want to ask if this is the final code?

I’m definitely going to get the PC version now if no confirmations is made weather or not this is the final PS3 code shown in the demo (Picture Quality was so bad I’ve got a headache).

+ mike_93hn on August 17th, 2010 at 1:43 am said:

Well the PS3 is obviously inferior. It will sell less then the PC and XBOX…why? Just read all those pages.

Propz to u Elizabeth for the truth and not those lazy devs who lied

+ craig_142 on August 17th, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

We all know we got this dlc since the PS3 version is garbage

What is worse tho is how terrible the dlc is.It’s like wtf is wrong with 2k they do realize people are buying the game for the gritty realism not some bs arcade style crap.

+ nel2ley on August 27th, 2010 at 8:30 pm said:

I bought Mafia II and I like it but it keeps freezig up and I must say I did not think the game would do that with it being new. But other than that I like the game.

+ ERICNLORI69 on September 1st, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

I am pretty ticked off right now. I am at the part where I have to find Joe and save him but the game won’t let me enter the restaurant. The circle is lit up on the map like it is supposed to be but when I try to get in the door, it won’t do anything. It tells me to push square to open the door and I keep pushing the darn button but it won’t do anything. Is anyone else having this trouble??? I don’t want to have to start the whole game over again!! I am pretty pissed off right now!!!!

+ IPumpMyGun on September 3rd, 2010 at 1:21 pm said:

exclusive dlc for the ps3 version is also on xbox 360. I love how the devs lie.