Driveclub

Resistance 3 from Insomniac Games Coming Exclusively to PS3

Marcus Smith's Avatar + Posted by Marcus Smith on Aug 17, 2010 // Creative Director, Insomniac Games

Marcus Smith here. I was the Project Manager of Resistance 1 and 2 at Insomniac Games, as well as a co-host of Insomniac’s “Full Moon Show” podcast during our Season 2 “leading up to Resistance 2 launch” episodes. I’m excited to make my PlayStation.Blog debut, thrilled to know that by reading these words, I’m wasting the time of hundreds if not thousands of people.

Wearing my new hat as the Creative Director on Resistance 3, I wanted to stop by and finally announce the game that Kombo.com has dubbed, “the worst-kept secret in gaming.” We were very excited to finally OFFICIALLY announce Resistance 3 at the PlayStation press conference at gamescom in Cologne, Germany. While we aren’t revealing too much at this time, we did want to share this live-action teaser that should set the mood for what’s to come.

We won’t be gone for too long — the team has been hard at work over the last two years developing Resistance 3, and we’re excited to have extra time to ensure that this game lives up to the expectations we’ve all got for it. To make sure you hear all of the latest news, follow us on Twitter @InsomniacGames or hit our website at www.insomniacgames.com and sign up for the community and newsletter.

139 Comments

+ ForgiveMyAim on August 17th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

Still waiting for the second one 2 price drop

+ SwampMan666 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

i don’t know about other people but i actually much prefer the style of Resistance 1. If it isn’t to much to ask, please bring back offline campaign co-op, but leave the online co-op similar to the way it is in Resistance 2. if they can some how mix the two games together, and do it effectively, this will be one of the best PS3 titles out there. Definitely up there with Uncharted 2 and GOW3 :)

+ trapper12 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

Thanks Marcus. I am so excited for R3, but please bring back the weapon wheel from the first one. I missed that feature from R2, but please put that feature back in R3. Thanks

+ mafecto on August 17th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Just awesome.

+ mafecto on August 17th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

Also, bring back the weapon wheel. It was one of the things that made R1 different.

+ wanethemane93 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

Ok before I even read the article, THANK YOU!!! INSOMNIAC!!!!!!!!!! I love the studio and the games and i’ve been waiting for news on R3 and it’s here. Can’t wait to play this!!!!!!.

+ U_gO_bYeByE69 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:12 pm said:

SUCK ON THAT 360

+ U_gO_bYeByE69 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

also PLEASE put split-screen VS because i was kinda mad when R2 didn’t have that

+ U_gO_bYeByE69 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

1 MORE THING
who would you play as in R3?

+ Direxnipe on August 17th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

i am VERY excited for Resistance 3!!! dont be shy with new information, i cant wait to hear about all the new things you have planned for the series and what you have planned for multiplayer. i loved the live-action trailer. normally i hate live action trailers but this one had an awesome feel to it. i wouldnt have minded if it was a movie haha. keep up the great work. really looking forward to playing this game :)

+ MattyPHATty on August 17th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

Sold!

+ wanethemane93 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

Just read the article and saw the live action trailer, freaking awesome!!!!!! Can’t wait man. And agree with most of the other post, lets bring back some R1 style gameplay and controls like weapon wheels and the faster action, controls. Because I enjoyed that play style more than R2′s. But i’m just happy that R3 has been announced and is on the way. Can’t wait to learn more about the story too.

+ CDubyahS on August 17th, 2010 at 4:30 pm said:

“we are not revealing too much at this time”

understatement of the year

trailer has ZERO gameplay..epic fail

+ i_like_toast on August 17th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

really nice trailer, though i really enjoyed r1, r2 just didn’t captivate me. Don’t take it personally, i’ve never been an FPS fan, i think R1 default difficulty was just a bit easier for me so I was able to enjoy the story without needing to swallow my pride and lower the difficulty.

+ ChriSTFU on August 17th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

People laughed at me when I said R3 would come out one day…I guess I’ll have the last laugh…

+ Destiny89 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

truly epic and finally!

+ VixDiesel on August 17th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

Please have the story have online co-op and for the love of god please support the game. You guys just flat out abandoned R2 and did almost nothing in the way of substantial updates. One multiplayer comp. map pack was not enough. NO co-op updates, no nothing. Was a huge let down.

Please support this…

Oh yeah and for the love of god, don’t force us to use Move to play this. I will never be on the Move bandwagon.

+ wolfzero1 on August 17th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

about time this got announced considering all of the rumors of its existence.

+ ChriSTFU on August 17th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

@CDubyahS, well actually they haved revealed some stuff with the trailer. 1. New York obviously 2. it looks like everyone is now used to the chimera, signifying some years late…and so on…

+ NeonReaver on August 17th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

What is with these crappy live action trailers for video games as of late? They don’t get me psyched for the game at all. I would rather see gameplay footage or a CGI trailer than one with live action people. Here’s to hoping that R3 is more like R1 than the R2. R2 was a massive disappointment.

+ Link01 on August 17th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

I just pray the horror feel comes back… and story co op :)

+ koma1tose on August 17th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

I WANT ANSWERS ! WHY CANT I PLAY MY MUSIC WHILE BEING ONLINE . I HAD THE ABILITY YESTERDAY HOW DID SONY COME AND STEAL THAT FEATURE FROM ME ? I WANT ANSWERS

+ SGTquig on August 17th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

@ #12: Sorry, got the number wrong. That was supposed to go to #14.

+ ADR143 on August 17th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

helz ya!! hopefully we see it during summer of 2011

+ KazeEternal on August 17th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

@Marcus

Are you guys gonna trial and rival Killzone 2 at least? I love resistance, but it is hard look at Resistance after playing Killzone 2.

+ joostin on August 17th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

Wonder if we are playing as the character from Resistance Retribution. I forget his name, but that game was awesome.

+ ElektroDragon on August 17th, 2010 at 5:31 pm said:

Wow, its EXCLUSIVE?! I thought it was going to be multiconsole! *eyeroll* In other news, humans have been determined to be exclusive to planet Earth!

+ explosive78 on August 17th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

I am feeling a left 4 dead vibe. Hope it has it’s own identity. Dont want it to get passed by cause fanboys say its copying another game.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on August 17th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

That was a great video. It made me wish that in R3 you’ll play as a regular joe just trying to survive instead of a soldier with no charisma or personality. Make it happen, Insomniac!

+ ATLRoAcH on August 17th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

Why did they change the song from the GamesCom trailer? “House of the Rising Sun” went perfect with this trailer. That song alone made the trailer about a million times better.

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 17th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

This game better have this:

CAMPAIGN SPLIT-SCREEN CO-OP!!!

Enough said. Thanks Insomniac, I know you guys won’t dissapoint!

+ Kenshin71 on August 17th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

I’m hoping Insomniac have gone back to their R:FoM roots. Loved that game, R2 not so much. I can see why they headed in that direction for the sequel but I liked the darker, grimmer tone of the first.

+ footballrule on August 17th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

Finally Resistance 3!!!!!!! I hope there will be a Beta test for this game! :)

+ digitalman123 on August 17th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

Should finish Resistance 2…

+ PullusPardusUS on August 17th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Thats one of the best trailers i’ve seen in a while.
its really capture the intensity.

+ tanHardedge on August 17th, 2010 at 6:21 pm said:

Haha I can’t wait! It’s been ages since the last one, I’ve been waiting for this day for ages now! I hope the weapon wheel makes a return! And hopefully online/offline coop :D

+ Zinacef on August 17th, 2010 at 6:25 pm said:

What is Insomniac advertising? A new movie or a new Resistance 3? From what I just saw, I can’t really tell as it shows me nothing related to the first two games. What of Nathan?! Is that the best you guys can come up with!

+ Glacier928 on August 17th, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

that was really cool! i loved the Resistance games (hell, Resistance: Fall of Man made me go buy a PS3 a few months after launch)…i’m just curious to who you’ll be playing as…i personally would like to see Grayson from Resistance: Retribution make an appearance in this game :D

+ hush404 on August 17th, 2010 at 6:52 pm said:

Now THAT was intense! If the game captures even half of that insanity I’ll be more than pleased.

+ QUINTISON on August 17th, 2010 at 7:02 pm said:

Well i own both R:FOM and R2 though i prefer carrying all the guns
and like fom being able to toggle or hold snipe which was also removed from r2.

I EXPECT FULL CUSTOMIZATION WITH DS3 AND MOVE.

Anything released after killzone 3 must support move,socom got delayed til next year so i wouldn’t rush it out.

I’m buying it as an insomniac fan but won’t look 4 it til oct next year.

+ BlazeKush420 on August 17th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

Lol Better be PS3 only or I wouldnt have bought it

+ Jeigh on August 17th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

I trust Insomniac implicitly to deliver something we can fall in love with all over again. For all the issues I had with R2, I still enjoyed the hell out of it (MEDICS UNITE!). I SERIOUSLY look forward to seeing video of this thing- I don’t think I’ve wanted video this bad since Killzone 2. (‘Course, the most I’ve ever wanted video was at the launch of the PS3- even Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom videos were cause for excitement back then.)

+ Jeigh on August 17th, 2010 at 7:22 pm said:

I just used the word “video” four times within a single paragraph. My college-self is slamming his head on a desk right now… in the future past… >.>

+ twistedfloyd on August 17th, 2010 at 7:32 pm said:

Incredible work guys! Amazing trailer, dug the first Resistance, loved the second Resistance.

Hoping that you guys put back in four player split screen and co-op for the single player and let us carry more than two guns! Also hoping for more balanced online play so that the Wraith isn’t spammed.

Resistance 2 is one of my all time favorite FPS campaigns. Actually just beat it again, amazing job with the gameplay. Can’t wait to see what you guys have in store and am so psyched to get this game! Great, great horror element that I hope is prominent here! Great job!

+ Cellman_ on August 17th, 2010 at 7:36 pm said:

If the trailer holds true to the places in the game, then another location on top of New York would be St. Louis since the Gateway Arch can be seen at 1:50.

+ ClinToN on August 17th, 2010 at 7:41 pm said:

Very cool trailer. I like taking on the role of the common folk.

I had some mixed feelings about how Resistance 2 ended..mostly negative but I’m sure you guys can pull this off! Can’t wait.

+ TheBanditKing on August 17th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

Amazing showing Insomniac, I really hope you guys continue to support the PS fans with these aand new IP’s as time goes on. I am so excited for Resistance 3, I LOVED the original (I still pop it in now and then) and thought the sequel was a great game too. It may not mean much but Resistance is one of only 2 FPS games that I actually like, it takes a lot for me to get into a FPS so thanks for the games!

I was so worried about this game since you were so quite about it, and then the multi-plat announcement made the wait worse. All you have to do is make R3 more like the original and I will be 200% happy!

+ Enigma777 on August 17th, 2010 at 7:57 pm said:

I hope this one is a LOT better than the first two…

+ Demonhunter84 on August 17th, 2010 at 8:13 pm said:

I love the Resistance series but really want Resistance 3 to go back to the roots of Resistance Fall of Man. That game felt soo much like COD mixed with aliens. I’ll be keeping an eye on R3 in the coming months if you guys announce a Collector’s Edition like you did with R2. I really can’t wait for R3 and hope you guys make a beta soon so that we can test it out.

+ viguru on August 17th, 2010 at 8:18 pm said: