PS4 - Transistor

Heroes on the Move: New Trailer & Two Challenges Debut at gamescom

Mark Cooke's Avatar + Posted by Mark Cooke on Aug 19, 2010 // Lead Systems Designer, Nihilistic Software

Today, SCEA and Nihilistic Software are excited to announce additional details about Heroes on the Move (working title) exclusively for the PlayStation Move, which is playable to the public for the first time this week at gamescom in Germany. Here’s our new trailer to celebrate the event.

When SCEA and Nihilistic started development on Heroes on the Move we began with the question “what would happen if Ratchet, Clank, Sly, and Jak all showed up in the same game?” We’ve been working with the SCEA producers who helped bring you the original franchises to answer that question, and we’re happy to show you some of what we’ve been working on.

Heroes on the Move (working title): gamescom Screens

For the first time ever, Ratchet, Clank, Sly Cooper, Bentley, Jak, and Daxter, have been assembled together into a single game where they’ll have their unique skills tested in a diabolical series of competitive challenges. Before each challenge you’ll be able to choose which hero to play, and the locations of the challenges will span across areas from all of the heroes’ home planets – Metropolis, Paris, and Haven City – except this time, the heroes can explore each other’s environments. Expect to see each memorable location upgraded to PlayStation 3 high-definition graphic quality.

That gives you a little more high level detail about what to expect from the game, but what exactly are we showing at gamescom? On the show floor we’re proud to be demoing two rockin’ challenges to give you a taste of the game.

Heroes on the Move (working title): gamescom Screens Heroes on the Move (working title): gamescom Screens

“City of Fights” gives you a chance to try Sly against an onslaught of enemies from each of the three universes. Sly must find and return energy orbs hidden in the nooks and crannies of Paris. With the PlayStation Move you’ll swing Sly’s cane directly smacking enemies over the head with a satisfying crack!

Heroes on the Move (working title): gamescom Screens

“Fistful of Crystals” Clank blasts his way through Haven City with the Combustor. When using the PlayStation Move controller, aiming and firing the gun feels natural and satisfying. You’ve got to watch your heat gauge though, firing too much too quickly will temporarily overheat your gun. What’s really cool is that the sphere at the tip of the PlayStation Move controller changes colors the hotter the weapon gets, so you’ll always know when to let it cool down a bit. Expect to see more characters, enemies, and weapons inspired from the series!

All of us at Nihilistic have fond memories of playing as these heroes – in some cases, playing these games is what brought us into game development. It has been a pleasure working with the minds at SCEA to bring them to the PlayStation Move for the first time. We hope this blog post gave you a hint at what playing Heroes on the Move will be like.

Look for more information on the PlayStation.Blog in the coming months!

47 Comments

+ GJD21 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

Looks Ok, I might pick it up.

+ Mercenary09 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:05 pm said:

This is looking good. Hope you guys at Nihilistic can pull this off. Can I get a release window for this game?

+ DA_SHREDDER on August 19th, 2010 at 1:05 pm said:

Me and my 4 yr old son are gonna have a blast playing this together. Thank you so much Sony! Your the best!

+ nino1911 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

these are well loved franchises nihilistic make us proud

+ Rytteren on August 19th, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

getting this. ohh now, get the damn trophys on the psp

+ whitwhit on August 19th, 2010 at 1:08 pm said:

i love me ratchet and clank no matter what all the rest of this is just icing on the this already massive cake.

+ Globox_82 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:10 pm said:

looks better then at E3. this is going to be 39$ game? If so i am getting it.

+ mywhitenoise on August 19th, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

Why does Ratchet ALWAYS look different in every game he’s in?

+ ForgiveMyAim on August 19th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

Good to see some integration with my favorite heroes, btw were is kratos?
:D

+ JSC31994 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

Nah still waiting for JAK 4 on PS3 I FREAKIN MISS THAT GAME!

+ Nintendo451 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

Just curious, why are you guys so ADAMANT about saying “Working Title” beneath everything? Is “Heroes on the Move” just a code-title until you have something better? Or is there a REAL name that you won’t reveal until much later?

Don’t worry, I’m not asking you to announce it now :)

+ GuitarrassDeAmor on August 19th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this game since Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter 1.

+ MatheAdi on August 19th, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

Sounds exciting.. with six major characters maybe you need to add the co-op with 2 move controllers or some online. Endless possiblities!

+ linebeginstoblur on August 19th, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

“That gives you a little more high level detail about to expect from the game…”

Except for my biggest question/fear. Though you say SCEA producers are helping, is it true that not a single staff member from Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, or Sucker Punch will be consulted? Artwork? Music? Writing? Voice acting? I don’t want to say anything bad about Nihilistic, but it scares me to think that it’s possible the original developers had ZERO input.

+ Kane22_ on August 19th, 2010 at 1:33 pm said:

I hope this isn’t a mini game i really hope this a full blown action game.

+ JAk_HAk on August 19th, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

This is one of those games that is either going to be great or an utter failure. Here’s hoping for the former.

+ Kirkpad on August 19th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

This game was quite surprising when it was first announced. Very interesting to say the least.

+ bball230 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

*SONY PLEASE READ*

I think this game will be great, and it looks extremely interesting. However, i think that if you make a sequal to this game, or maybe even a totally different game. Make one similar to nintendo’s super smash bros.

Sony has a massive library of great characters, this game shows that, but doesnt even begin to scratch the surface on all of them. I’m telling you, a PlayStation Smash Hero’s or something like that would be the biggest hit, this generation. It would revive that genre.. which belongs basically just to nintendo.

If i were a dev, i would make that game.

+ Destiny89 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

Amazing! cant wait

+ xaos on August 19th, 2010 at 2:00 pm said:

Clank’s blaster runs hot! Looks like a fun premise, looking forward to getting my hands on the game to try for myself

+ JKRIB on August 19th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

I’m a Huge Sly Cooper Fan But The Game Doesn’t look That Great To Me. Maybe It’s The Graphics. Maybe Because Murray Isn’t In It. It Look Complicated. Like Spiderman 3 or Something. Ya Know?

+ KazeEternal on August 19th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

No Bandicoots allowed O.O

+ Rhino136 on August 19th, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

Hmmm didn’t think much of this when it was announced but its already looking way better than the original trailer.

+ MadmanV10 on August 19th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

I don’t see how you can have a heroes game with updated versions of Sly and Jak without having actual Ps3 games to back them up.

+ ADR143 on August 19th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

for a move only game this game looks sick!

+ nixice on August 19th, 2010 at 3:33 pm said:

@linebeginstoblur — I don’t know if Nihilistic has worked with any of the designers specifically at ND, Insomniac or Sucker Punch about how to handle this game … but I think you’re missing the scope of how games are designed these days. It’s not one-man operation where a single genius gets to take credit for the product (even in Hollywood, the “auteur theory” is often overemphasized,) and even the studio that designs the game is often just part of the army that makes the magic happen.

In the case of R&C, J&D, and Sly Cooper, all these products were created in cooperation with producers at Sony Computer Entertainment, who have all worked closely and intimately with the development teams to bring their product to life (including everything from story and character consultation to marketing design to official websites to canon bible writing.) David Jaffe is a famous example of one of those people — he never worked at Incognito where they programmed the game, but you could never separate the man from the Twisted Metal legacy.

I’m sure those people are a big part of the Heroes on the Move production, working closely with Nihilistic to get this melding right for all three franchises.

+ max300 on August 19th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

I did not!!! see jak you f…k ups!. sorry

+ wvnative on August 19th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

Sony, answer my question please. How are people with physical disadvantages supposed to play this game?

+ Jeigh on August 19th, 2010 at 4:06 pm said:

Is it just me or has the game gotten noticeably better-looking? Perhaps just a bad selection of clips at E3? Actually, reading some of the above comments, it definitely doesn’t seem like it’s just me.

I like that- seeing a product sort of “evolve” before our eyes- usually we only get a look at the near-end product (minus little things like lighting, particle effects or general polishing).

+ wolfzero1 on August 19th, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

not really interested in all of the motion control stuff, but this game might just change my mind as this game looks pretty fun

+ digitalman123 on August 19th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

You stealing my VGL idea?!?!? I’ll get this, but this idea is mine! Except, mine wasn’t with Move. All those characters are in my idea, but TONS more, such as Kratos, Nate Drake, Ezio, and about 20 more! Could you make a fighting game like this with no Move? Include other PS characters in that too! I’d love a Sly 4 and a Jak 4. Jak 3 was legendary.

+ KILLZONE79 on August 19th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Nihilistic Software working on this? thats difernt usually insomiac games makes these types of games with charcters they own such as ratchet etc

+ Blkant on August 19th, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

Seems odd you don’t include Dan Fortesque from Medievil… :(

+ thestr1ker on August 19th, 2010 at 6:59 pm said:

This game is an abomination that should never have been conceived, let alone developed. May whoever gave this the green light burn in hell for all eternity.

+ Tetsumura on August 19th, 2010 at 8:37 pm said:

This is definitely looking better, and sounding better. It seems like the soundtrack is done by David Bergeaud! Could it be true?!

Nihilistic, PLEASE for the love of all things awesome, play the original games from time to time to compare how they feel to what you’re doing. I’m really praying to God that Jak and Sly and their respective posses get their own games on PS3 before the end of the world. If you guys mess this up, I’m going to drive up there and steal all your energy drinks.

+ Redrizer36 on August 19th, 2010 at 9:25 pm said:

Oh. What happened to Crash Bandicoot? Spyro? Really Sony? Why leave the old veterans out?

+ Lohdown on August 19th, 2010 at 9:55 pm said:

Wow, after seeing that god awful Resistance 3 trailer yesterday I didn’t think anything could be much worse, but here it is. This trailer is supposed to hype me up and make me want to play this?

It shows just about the lamest combat I have ever seen any of these characters do. Wow, Daxter pounding his fists on the ground and Sly spinning his hat makes for some amazing gameplay. This game is going to tank if this is the best they have to show.

And for the love of all that is holy, please change the horrible name. The use of the word “hero” is complete fail. Snow already proved that.

+ Enigma777 on August 19th, 2010 at 10:16 pm said:

This is one of the lamest games I’ve seen in quite a while…

+ gbear240 on August 19th, 2010 at 10:42 pm said:

evryone who is thinking of getting the game should know it needs the ps move I think please tell me if im right

+ EmperorLawlight on August 19th, 2010 at 11:51 pm said:

The use of Move looks way better than in Killzone 3.

+ PuppetShoJustice on August 20th, 2010 at 5:10 am said:

Was Sly seriously bowling in that clip?

A minigame collection is the best you can do? Congratz. You made a Wii game for the PS3.

Pass.

+ BigBoss712 on August 20th, 2010 at 7:27 am said:

The visuals are quite nice but still not sure about the gameplay, need to see more of it.

+ King_Bobo on August 20th, 2010 at 8:44 am said:

So is this a minigame compilation, of sorts?

@Redrizer36 Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are IP’s not longer owned by Sony.

+ MrNachoz on August 21st, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

OMG!!! That looks sweet! 3 of the best ps2 games of all time. But I have a question… What happened to Murray, the hippo in Sly?

+ MrNachoz on August 21st, 2010 at 1:34 pm said:

@JKRIB No. I don’t agree with you. And What’s With Talking Like This? lol

+ CheeseePoofs on August 25th, 2010 at 1:53 pm said:

I was not to sure if I was going to get the move but once I saw this game, all my doubts went away and I’m being the move the day it comes out!

+ CheeseePoofs on August 25th, 2010 at 1:53 pm said: