PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Dungeon Defenders: Coming to PSN with Move & 3D Support

Jeremy Stieglitz's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Stieglitz on Aug 25, 2010 // Founder of Trendy Entertainment

“Welcome brave heroes to the dungeons of Etheria!”

Or so says the “Spirit of Champions”, your tour guide in Dungeon Defenders, the new swords-and-sorcery action game coming to PSN this winter! Let me introduce you to the basics of what DunDef (as we affectionately call it) is all about. Inspired by the cooperative antics of Castle Crashers, along with the careful interplay of strategy and tactics in Defense of the Ancients, DunDef is a definitive genre hybrid: cooperative tower defense and online role-playing action bonanza!

Whether you’re playing locally (in one-to-four player split-screen) or online (which also supports split-screen), DunDef puts you in control of one of four unique Hero classes, tasked with defending your ‘Eternia Crystals’ against increasing waves of ‘toon-fantasy baddies.’ To achieve this you’ll upgrade your Hero’s statistics, develop unique new abilities, and collect & upgrade an arsenal of weapons & equipment, and even raise your own pets.

Dungeon Defenders - Gameplay

At any point you choose to, you can decimate the tide of creatures spewing forth from the ‘Creep Spawners” when building your defenses across the map. Unlike most tower defense games, however, you won’t just sit back and watch your defenses annihilate your foes. In DunDef, you jump directly into the action, and hack up tons of enemies with your beefed-up hero alongside your allies. Among the variety of enemy types (with their various attacks & behaviors), are huge mini and full on boss monsters arriving to support their cannon-fodder minions.

Dungeon Defenders - Gameplay Dungeon Defenders - Gameplay

There’s lots more we’d love to tell you about, including the intricacies of each Hero class, the powerful upgrading system & the Mana Bank, and the various game modes including a campaign, survival and challenge missions. All in good time… for now, we should also mention that the game fully supports Sony’s awesome 3D TV (stereoscopic) technology, and the PlayStation Move for an immersive experience!

Dungeon Defenders - Gameplay

Meanwhile, we encourage everyone to check out the “Features” section at dungeondefenders.com to learn more, along with more preview coverage soon. We hope to see you all online in the realm of Etheria this winter on PSN.

PAGE 1 2

+ Destiny89 on August 25th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

That looks amazing, looking forward to it

+ Synchrotronator on August 25th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

This game is looking awesome! I don’t do many day one buys, but for this I might make an exception.

+ GT-420 on August 25th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

Wow, this looks really interesting, gonna put it on the list to watch for closely. I am saving up for a Move in anticipation of great games like this.

Two gold star cookies for you: 1 for the video that shows actual gameplay and 1 for announcing a demo…sweet.

You guys just showed how much smarter you are than many other developers.

+ Jeigh on August 25th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

Aw, snap! This looks pretty awesome- and it’s a PSN title? That’s pretty impressive; I half-expected a middle-late 201 release date. My thanks to the devs for this little ray of sunshine.

+ Jeigh on August 25th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Um… Sorry, that was supposed to be “2011″… >.>

It’d be odd if you released it 1810 years ago…

+ Sindred on August 25th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Here’s a question:

Split screen and 3D at the same time? Is that possible? Does it look like multiple tunnels going into your TV screen?

Jeremy Stieglitz's Avatar

+ Jeremy Stieglitz on August 25th, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

We’ve currently got splitscreen in 3D mode; as you imagine, it appears like multiple tunnels into your tv. We’re thinking of leaving it in, and just leaving it up to the player if they want to go for that.

+ Kane22_ on August 25th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

OMG i want this game it reminds me alot of Torchlight u have another Day 1 purchasers Here:) cant wait.

+ colonel007 on August 25th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Is great you are implementing Move Support! Just please make it work perfectly! Take all the time to polish the controls as much as it is possible to make the experience better. I don’t want to try the game and think: ” Why did they add Move support if it doesn’t even work right?!”

I really hope you really consider this. I will definitely try the game when a demo releases.

+ Brosive on August 25th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

Wow. I am super exited for this. Can’t wait to try this out!

+ Maguss on August 25th, 2010 at 11:22 am said:

Wow, online and local drop in and out co-op? Move and 3D support!? Sooo awesome, I like what you said about how move would work with the game, these are the kinds of games I was hoping would come out with Move being released. I don’t know if you answered this but does the game come with voice chat? Also do you guys have a twitter or facebook so I can follow you guys? I’m really excited to play this, see you guys this winter!!!

Jeremy Stieglitz's Avatar

+ Jeremy Stieglitz on August 25th, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

The game has voice chat, very useful for coordinating strategies with your team (it has some in-game features for this as well, such as a call-out feature to denote a waypoint on the minimap to your friends, and you can see what your team mates are doing when they’re deciding where to place a tower, etc)

You can DunDef’s Facebook group at http://bit.ly/bivllT , and follow the Trendy team on Twitter at http://twitter.com/trendyent

Cheers!

+ Finaldeath1689 on August 25th, 2010 at 11:25 am said:

This game looks like it will be loads for fun, if it is priced fairly i may pick it up.

+ Korghano on August 25th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

I realise you said the Move control scheme is self explanatory, but would you mind walking through it for those of us who are a bit thick? :P

+ DMPrince on August 25th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

You guys should do the demo and unlock key where it locks out parts of the game and let us play maybe the first couple of stages and call that a demo? that way you don’t have to resubmit things to sony again.

+ Sindred on August 25th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

@Jeremy

Thanks for the response (and for leaving the feature in). It might be disorienting at first but my fiance and I love our 3D TV, and this would be a way for us to experience it at the same time with a game.

Sure we might run into wall after playing it, but what a ride.

+ Ouren on August 25th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

This is that UDK project correct?
if so, congrats guys!

+ PowerGasp on August 25th, 2010 at 11:48 am said:

How long will the average game take? And will my stats and levels carry on in some form when a game ends, or will I start back from level 1 each time?

Looks really great! Fantastic concept and LOVING the split-screen option for online play, I MUCH prefer playing with a buddy who’s in the room with me in online modes, and not enough games include that feature.

+ PowerGasp on August 25th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

And I’ll be getting this on PSN, but will it be coming to Mac via Steam?

+ JohnnySasaki on August 25th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

This looks amazing! I noticed this game will also be distributed through Steam & some other places on PC, which got me thinking about mods/custom levels & stuff… will the PS3 version have any kind of level creator or anything, or at least the ability to play on custom maps created on PC? I want to get the PS3 version, but I don’t want to miss out on custom maps & stuff the PC version might get =/

Keep up the good work though! This game is looking absolutely brilliant! =D

+ Vu_Prime on August 25th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

This actually looks… AMAZING. Me and my buddies always loved playing Gauntlet and FF: Crystal Chronicles together. This looks tons better and way more fun. Can’t wait!

+ Hooligantuan on August 25th, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

I’m so Over ridiculously huge swords.

+ danthe57 on August 25th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

I remember downloading the early version of this as a UDK showcase, nice to see it come so far!

+ Jvolel on August 25th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

lol @ Mr. Stieglitz accidentally calling the Move a mouse. Will there be a demo? I can’t wait to try this out.

+ ThanatosDMC on August 25th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

Wow! That looks really good. I love co-op games!

+ TheWarOrphan on August 25th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

I NEED A CURRENT GEN GAUNTLET!

+ Shifty_Geezer on August 25th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

Excellent idea! Four-player coop is always great, and you’ve combined two of my favourite genres. Should be epic and probably a Day 1 purchase. However, one well-meant critique is, visually, it’s a mess! If you could refine the artwork before release to have less of “100% saturation for every pixel, every hue present in every screen,” it’d tick that final box for a perfect score. :)

+ Direxnipe on August 25th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

WOW!! that looks awesome!!!! definitely looking forward to this. im going to have to tell my friends to pick it up.

i LOVE that it supports split-screen online as well. that way i can play with my friends while there at their homes, but not leave out my gf. she likes to play these kind of games with me as well.

Thanks for great features (in a great looking game) :)

+ piratedrunk on August 25th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

Looks very promising. Can’t wait to see more and try out the demo!

+ plaztiksyke on August 25th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

You had me up until the splitscreen aspect. Everything else sound wonderful, and you definitely seem to have put a lot of thought into making local and online co-op a smooth experience. Will it be possible to play, say 2 local players, without splitscreen?

When not running in 3D mode, will the game render in 1080p natively?

+ Bodude69 on August 25th, 2010 at 1:33 pm said:

You mentioned in a comment earlier that asked about subscription, and you said “There are some online persistence aspects, but no subscription fee :)”, are you saying that there is going to be something like a cash shop?

+ amjr72 on August 25th, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

Didn’t know the Unreal Engine could do colors *rimshot*

Game looks great and sounds very fully-featured, hope it’s not too expensive.

There will be a platinum trophy? This could be another nice push.

+ Capshot18 on August 25th, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

After seeing this, I’m wondering one thing: It says that the game has four-player split-screen, and online, but does that mean only four people can play online, (As in, other people, excluding those playing split-screen)To put it simply, can the game have more than 4 people online?

+ PuppetShoJustice on August 25th, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

I hope the class abilities listed on the website aren’t the only ones we’ll have access to. They seem kind of limited.

Kind of bummed to see only one female character; although that’s a really, really minor complaint. Maybe there will be more playable classes in the form of DLC someday?

I could see this becoming a pretty popular game if supported with added trophies, abilities, content, being fed to us via DLC.

I saw the PC pre-orders are sitting at like ten bucks on your website. If that remains true to us I’d be more than happy to give this a shot.

+ Craazy on August 25th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

Looks cool I like the purty colors

DunDef..initely gonna pick this one up! man I kill me!

+ Sir_Vague on August 25th, 2010 at 3:23 pm said:

Will it have custom soundtracks?

+ mikedo2007 on August 25th, 2010 at 3:36 pm said:

This looks very interesting. Putting Move support and 3D support is a nice add.

+ Reef1978 on August 25th, 2010 at 4:06 pm said:

This game looks amazing. Is there any decent single player or is it all about the multiplayer gameplay? I’m on satellite internet so I can download it, but I can’t play it online. :(

+ epiphaniesarefun on August 25th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

Hell yes! Day one for me too :)

Thank you so much for including local multiplayer!!!!

+ ShadowOfEden on August 25th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

The style and name reminds me of dungeon defense, a showcase game of the UDK.

+ ShadowOfEden on August 25th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

Oh yeah, it’s made by the same people, so I suppose that explains it.

+ colstripcapn on August 26th, 2010 at 4:01 am said:

Looks very interesting to me, I look forward to the demo. I have a backlog over 100 games though so I can’t say I’ll buy it day one, but who knows with my impulsivness…

+ darthvaderpr on August 26th, 2010 at 4:37 am said:

Looks great, but this is just another Gauntlet 3D

+ lordmiller43 on August 26th, 2010 at 6:17 am said:

Definitely getting that. Been looking out for a game like this…

+ x-former on August 26th, 2010 at 8:52 pm said:

This looks pretty sweet! Especially the move support! Cant wait to find out more!

+ Insomnia999 on August 28th, 2010 at 11:54 am said:

looks great!

+ Seshat on August 29th, 2010 at 9:59 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for a DoTa-like game in consoles. Does this game support competitive multiplayer?

PAGE 1 2