Minecraft PS4

PlayStation and IGN Team up for PAX PlayStation.Blog Beyond! Meetup

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Aug 26, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

During Comic-Con a few weeks ago, IGN’s Greg Miller asked me if I had my PSP and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker with me. As it turns out, I did. Greg, a dude named Dennis Miller (not *that* Dennis Miller), and I then proceeded to take down Metal Gear Rex in an intense co-op match. Oh yeah, this was in the middle of G4’s party.

In that moment, an idea was born.

A few days later, Greg asked if I was interested in getting a bunch of Peace Walker fans together to tackle the hardest levels – the ones that are best handled cooperatively. Sounded good to me. As we began to plan it, we realized that such a group is already going to assemble… next week at Penny Arcade Expo.

Top Pot coffee

So here we are, doing this thing, and you’re invited. We’re renting out Top Pot Donuts in downtown Seattle next Thursday evening and will fill it with new and upcoming PSP games such as Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Valkyria Chronicles II, Split/Second, and God of War: Ghost of Sparta.

Also, we have ordered 34 dozen donuts. They’re tasty. Very tasty.

While it’ll no doubt be fun to try out those games, we also strongly encourage you to bring your own PSP for friendly competitive or cooperative matches in games like Hot Shots Tennis, SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3, and, of course, MGS: Peace Walker. We’ll even lend you a copy if you wanna jump in but don’t already have one.

Are you sold on this yet? Wait, there’s more!

As you sample the games, we’ll be keeping track of the best players, and the top performers will get a special behind-the-scenes tour of our media-only area, where you’ll be able to check out games that won’t be on the show floor like inFAMOUS 2 and the recently announced Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One.

And every attendee will walk out with a voucher to download the demo for God of War: Ghost of Sparta – before anyone else gets to play it. Please tell me this is reason enough to attend.

Still want more? Ok, I’ll give: Greg Miller will autograph your bare chest if you ask politely.

Here’s what you need to know:

RSVP today, and don’t forget to bring your appetite for fried dough – we’ve got 408 donuts and we’re going to make Rey eat any leftovers.

PAGE 1 2

+ nino1911 on August 26th, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

GODAMMM ITT why did i sell my psp foolish move

+ WrekGar on August 26th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Thanks Jeff I got my day so I will be there barring any crazy overselling of the flight. Might be bringing along some co-workers as well.. See you there!

Ray “WrekGar”
The Blog Stalker

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

nice! that’ll be meetup #9 for this man.

+ dragonmagician on August 26th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

Nice to see the PSP getting some love. BEYOND!

+ MangaTodd on August 26th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Hey! As far as I am concerned (or my parents for that matter), I am THE Dennis Miller.

I’m so bummed I can’t make it to PAX. I have prior engagements. Good luck though!

+ Appo on August 26th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Is there anyway to RSVP without Facebook!? It’d be a shame if there wasn’t.

Also, do you need to bring your own game to win the special media tour thing? I ask, because my 2 PSPs + All games were stolen. =\

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

The RSVP is strictly for reminder/update/estimation of crowd purposes. As long as you can fit in the building, you’re allowed in :)

You do not need to bring anything – we’ll have certain stations where we’ll be keeping track of some scores.

Sorry about your stuff getting stolen.

+ TrueFFVIIFan on August 26th, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

Ah. I am sure that the event that you plan and organize will be damn awesome one. But unfortunately for me- on my birthday- I won’t be able to attend… I am now a sad panda. I hope you could send me a voucher card (a code) for God of War: Ghost of Sparta. If not, then that is cool. Still, I am happy for others who will be able to attend and to score that code for this demo.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

I’ll see if we can score some demo codes for the blog.

+ GameOverGreggy on August 26th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

BEYOND!

+ Appo on August 26th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

In that case, awesome! Cannot wait! See ya there!

And it’s alright. Just gives me a chance to grab a PSP-3000 now. :P

+ cool_trainer on August 26th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

^^^ oh shoot gameovergreggy! BEYOND!!! (i took a picture with you at comic con)

anyways, I am very tempted to skip class and make the drive up from san diego (again).

+ Jim777 on August 26th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

D: i would attend this just for the chest signing….thats no weird right?

Sadly i live on the stupid east cost -___-

+ Sid Shuman on August 26th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

At least you get proper delis and soft pretzels.

+ MatheAdi on August 26th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

Greg Miller… definition of a man
BEYOND!
Unfortunatly will not be able to attend, but good luck and great idea!

Have Fun!

+ Frejim on August 26th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

This is going to be EPIC!!!

Wish I could be in Seattle.

+ Paznos on August 26th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

Wow I’m from Seattle but haven’t been back in awhile:( Would love to go to this but lacking the funds atm would be awesome though, would love a voucher or two if possible :)

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 26th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

Just the fact that Greg Miller will be there means its going to be epic. The fact that you all play peace walker together is just pure awesomeness.
Oh and that’s a whole lot of donuts!

+ JumpMan33 on August 26th, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

I <3 me some Beyond! Can't wait to see was up with podcast #150
I wish I could make it out to PAX this year =( this meetup sounds like a lot of fun.

+ SooperSonic08 on August 26th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

I’ll be there for sure!

BTW, the hands holding the silver PSP in the picture happen to be mine. Came in second in the Wipeout tournament two years ago :)

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

nice! You could be a hand model. Or something.

+ Tenan on August 26th, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

No baker’s dozens? I’d love to make it out to this one, but being able to attend the DC one makes up for it.

+ jazzyrider on August 26th, 2010 at 3:25 pm said:

Nice!! Can I RSVP thru here since I don’t do FB? Also what about us PSPGo folks?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

RSVPs aren’t binding, so we’ll count this as your RSVP. Just be sure to show up while there’s still capacity!

+ Kchow23 on August 26th, 2010 at 3:28 pm said:

What if I have a PSP Go? how are you going to lend me copies of those games

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 3:44 pm said:

Then you’re a hard core gamer who probably already owns these games.

+ Korbei83 on August 26th, 2010 at 3:29 pm said:

That’s rad and typically PlayStation.

+ MiszKratos on August 26th, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

I’m going to PAX & would love to go to this but my PSP broke last week !

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

you can still go -we’ll have PSPs set up with lots of new and upcoming games.

+ warezIbanez on August 26th, 2010 at 3:40 pm said:

I should be there at the meetup. Don’t think I’ll be scoring tickets for PAX, though…

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 3:44 pm said:

we don’t have any to give, sorry.

+ SpecterMk23 on August 26th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

Will SOCOM 4 be at PAX to try out?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:06 pm said:

I’ll see if I can get our whole PAX floor layout – I havent seen it yet.

+ Qwarktacular on August 26th, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

Hell yeah, I was hoping you guys would do a meetup for PAX, been dying to make your ones down in California but I simply haven’t had the money to do so. Seattle is 15 minutes away from me though, so I’ll be there for sure, with my first gen PSP in hand, cannot wait!!!

+ digitalman123 on August 26th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Dangit! I REALLY wanna play inFAMOUS 2 and Ratchet! I also want that GOW demo! Any chance this’ll come to Chicago?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:07 pm said:

When PAX does…

+ Miceincloaks on August 26th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

I finally moved to a cool city so now I can go to stuff like this :)

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:07 pm said:

Seattle is a very cool city.

+ DZORMAGEN on August 26th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

This is awesome, but at least I get to go to GOW event on Wednesday next week!! BEYOND!! Yo Jeff, will I see you at the GOW event in North Holloywood?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:07 pm said:

I won’t be there, but Rey will be. Look for the big hair.

+ Marc_Madness on August 26th, 2010 at 5:39 pm said:

I will be(yond) there and I will bring my appetite.

+ ManaKnight on August 26th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

I wish the DC meet-up aftermath was blogged about. ;)

Friends of mine wanted me to go to PAX Prime (its my birthday weekend), but kind of hard to schedule a trip so late in time.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:08 pm said:

It was good meeting you, sir.

+ v1lla21 on August 26th, 2010 at 6:05 pm said:

i would love to go but i live in san jose, ca and have school :'(
Maybe you guys can come over here and assemble a legion??
eat 2 donuts for me will ya?

+ exotic_invader on August 26th, 2010 at 7:48 pm said:

You can’t get any better than Top Pot.
Great choice for a meetup! :D

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:08 pm said:

Thanks! They’re really good.

+ Crotin on August 26th, 2010 at 8:53 pm said:

lol for once it’s not in LA :( oh well…have fun guys!

+ tim-finn78 on August 26th, 2010 at 9:30 pm said:

Enjoy it, you lucky bastards!!
I’m insanely jealous writing from Australia.. :p
Hoping the God of War: Ghost of Sparta demo will be released worldwide soon – I need something to tide me over until November.. :(

+ JesseHaysFL on August 26th, 2010 at 9:30 pm said:

Well I guess some Gators gunna represent!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:08 pm said:

Damn right. What is this, meetup #3 for you and the wife?

+ JesseHaysFL on August 26th, 2010 at 9:41 pm said:

On a side note does Sony have a deal with Westin hotels? You guys are always close….

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 26th, 2010 at 11:09 pm said:

How do you know where we’re staying?

+ Brain115 on August 26th, 2010 at 10:10 pm said:

I am a huge fan of MGS:Peace Walker. I played it over 200 hours. The sad thing is that I will not ba able to make it out to seattle since i live in san francisco and i am a busy person. Any chance of this idea coming out here?

+ mancub194 on August 26th, 2010 at 10:13 pm said:

…So does this confirm a God of War: Ghost of Sparta demo coming to PSN before Nov? *wink smile*

+ GAM3R_16 on August 26th, 2010 at 11:55 pm said:

no age limit right? :D

+ Kchow23 on August 27th, 2010 at 12:40 am said:

No PlayStation Move present? :( Considering making the trip to Seattle for one day since I’ve got class on thursday and I can’t assist PAX

+ gdogg666 on August 27th, 2010 at 2:29 am said:

plz for the love of god give out sum free codes for ghost of sparta and what bout the god of war site will they be givin out free codes before the rest of the world gets it? or what cus i must and i mean must play this game god of war so rules

+ Jakeman14 on August 27th, 2010 at 5:47 am said:

im going with my PSP go but sadly i dont have mgs peace walker! can someone lend me 40$? oh and im assuming thers no age requirement

+ Meanie_Moo on August 27th, 2010 at 6:54 am said:

I’m still waiting on PS events in Toronto, ON, Canada. :P

+ SpyDudeFX on August 27th, 2010 at 7:44 am said:

Jeff bring the PS Move event to NYC! Or maybe a Best Buy like the world’s only 24 hour one in Unino Sq ;)

+ Vex_Doppel on August 27th, 2010 at 7:45 am said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing an event here in the midwest. Somewhere I wouldn’t have to travel 800 miles.

+ TwinDad on August 27th, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

I RSVP’d on Facebook, hopefully here too.

I respectfully request that nobody giggle when they see my Hanna Montana PSP.

Need Coffee with Donuts.

+ kenny-1995 on August 27th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

I hate living in london, when im 23 im am leaving this pointless place and living where ever Playstations American HQ is. So i can finish just reading about a meet up and actually go there, and of coarse with my luck somebody will push me into a time machine on my 23rd birthday and skip a year. and i will never go to America.

+ JesseHaysFL on August 27th, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

#3 for Her and I, #4 For me….

Im a stalker, I follow you everywhere.

Naa I just noticed it was right up the street from the westin and The last one was across the street…So yeah I hope you guys get good rates, Ive stayed at the Downtown Westin and its fairly nice, its no Ritz but its nice.

+ DarkOne_PR on August 27th, 2010 at 12:42 pm said:

……….. I hate living in Puerto Rico… Nothing kool like that happens here….i wish i could meet u all guys…IGN and PS blog…

+ Weeence on August 27th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

I’m hoping to make it out + 1 :) What no Ltd. Ed. PS3 up for grabs this year?

+ BalramRules on August 28th, 2010 at 1:19 pm said: