Uncharted 4

Sep 08

NBA 2K11 for PS3: Michael Jordan, PlayStation Move Details, and Much More

Ronnie Singh's Avatar Posted by Ronnie Singh on Sep 08, 2010 // Sr. Community Manager, 2K Games

Hi guys! Ronnie here from 2K Sports. I am the Community Manager here and the point person for our fans. Have feedback on a feature for NBA 2K11? Want to get an idea in the game? You have my ear and can always reach me on Twitter. Drop me a line anytime!

You probably remember me from my PlayStation.Blog posts on NBA 2K10 last year. This year, we decided to blow all the doors off and introduce MICHAEL JORDAN to the 2K Sports family as the cover athlete for NBA 2K11 (in stores everywhere 10/5/2010). Like most of you basketball fans, Michael Jordan is my idol and synonymous with basketball greatness. You can read about how you will get the chance to relive his career in 10 of his most iconic games in The Jordan Challenge.

Michael Jordan in NBA 2K11 for PS3 and PlayStation Move

In MJ: Creating a Legend, you can put Michael Jordan on any modern team you want! Kobe and MJ on the Lakers? Teaming him with Wade and LeBron on the Heat? Putting him on the current Bulls with my buddy Derrick Rose? You can build his abilities (the killer instinct that came later in his career over his always brilliant athletic ability) as well as the chemistry with that team in this mode.

But NBA 2K11 also has an exclusive PS3-related feature and that is, of course, the use of the PlayStation Move motion controller. Recently, I got the chance to interview one of our engineers, Mark Horsley, to provide some exclusive info to those that follow the PlayStation Blog. Mark was influential in getting this feature to be a thing of beauty for the game and in no other game is PlayStation Move as fitting. After Mark gives you some background on the use of PlayStation Move, I will share some other features to be unveiled in NBA 2K11. So without further ado, here are highlights from our conversation:

Slam Dunk Contest with PlayStation Move

Mark Horsley, Gameplay Engineer, NBA 2K11: It was critical for us to showcase the full range of abilities of the PlayStation Move motion controller, so we started with the Slam Dunk Contest. The dunk contest input interface was significantly revamped for PlayStation Move, allowing the ability to pull off dunks much easier than in years past. When you get your hands on this mode with the PlayStation Move, start by pulling and holding the T button to pick up a ball from the ball rack. As your player runs towards the basket, start the gestures for the dunk you wish to perform. For analog-stick-based controllers, the input is done by twirling the stick. The stick commands translated naturally to gestures using the Move controller. A counter-clockwise circle on the stick translates to moving your hand in a counter-clockwise circle, and similarly translates for other commands. By completing a gesture while running towards the basket, and then quickly completing another gesture prior to takeoff, you choose which dunk you wish to perform. To complete the dunk, simply release the T button to time the release of the ball. Props are placed on the court by pressing the Triangle button on the Move controller, just like in years past with the standard controllers.

NBA 2K11 for PS3 and PlayStation Move

Gameplay with PlayStation Move

For regular gameplay, we started with the single most important aspect in basketball: shooting. Our goal was for fast, responsive shooting, with no lag. All of the different types of jumps are in there: drifters, leaners, and fade-aways. Based on how your player is moving, simply flick the PlayStation Move motion controller up and you’ll spot up and shoot the appropriate jump shot. Similar controls are done for dunks and layups. Running towards the basket while holding the T button results in a dunk, as opposed to a layup if the T button isn’t pulled. Unlike the analog-stick-based controllers, you get flashy or power moves based on what is happening. Kobe running free on a breakaway? Pull up on the Move controller and witness an amazing flashy dunk. Garnett in the paint? Flick the PlayStation Move motion controller up and unleash a crushing dunk.

Here is the breakdown in more detail:

With the T button pulled, flick the PlayStation Move…

• Up = Smart Dunk
  • Right = Power Dunk
  • Left = Flashy Dunk
  • Down = Reverse Dunk

Without pulling the T button, flick the PlayStation Move…

• Up = Smart Layup
  • Right = Hop Step Layup Right
  • Left = Hop Step Layup Left
  • Down = Spin Layup

For Passing, we wanted to make sure the gesture was as intuitive as possible for the sophistication of the PlayStation Move motion controller. Pressing the large Move button, in conjunction with pressing the left stick in the direction of the intended receiver, will result in a quick pass. Holding both L2 and the T button while passing will throw a devastating alley-oop pass. You will find that passing is quick and accurate with this method.

NBA 2K11 for PS3 and PlayStation Move

Dribbling using the PlayStation Move falls into two categories: standing and moving. Holding the L2 button, flick the PlayStation Move to perform many different dribble moves to blow past a defender. If standing, you will receive a variety of Sizeup moves, based on the direction of the motion. If dribbling, here is breakdown:

While dribbling towards the basket, hold L2 and Flick the PlayStation Move…

• Up = Behind-the-back dribble move
  • Right = Crossover if ball is in right hand, an In-n-Out Move if ball is in left hand
  • Left = Crossover if ball is in left hand, an In-n-Out Move if ball is in right hand
  • Down = Stepback

Successful defense relies on quick, decisive action, and so the PlayStation Move defensive controls were designed for quick, simple motions. Flick the PlayStation Move up for a block; flick it right or left for a steal. Player swap is an important aspect of defense, and the Move button is perfectly positioned for this. Setting a pick is assigned to the Circle button: it’s easy to access but not something that you’ll press by accident, making it perfect for picks.

I want to thank Mark Horsley for taking the time out of an insane amount of game engineering to give us insight on how to get the most out of using the PlayStation Move motion controller. I gave it a whirl last week and I had a great time playing with PlayStation Move. It worked smoothly and seemed to do whatever I wanted it to in the game.

Now I do want to mention a few other features that are making waves in the gaming industry. I discussed the use of Michael Jordan in our game at the beginning of the blog and there are many features (a few still undiscussed) that will be a great showcase for the world’s best player. In the meantime, here are some other things to look out for when the game hits stores October 5th (make sure to click the links for even more information):

NBA 2K11 for PS3 and PlayStation Move

My Career Mode – Live the entire life of an NBA star. Get drafted into the NBA, fight for a roster spot, work to get minutes, fit into the team, and emerge as a starter, perhaps even a player that will go down as one of the greats. This year, however, your accolades go beyond the court. Participate in Press Conferences, sign Endorsements, be on the cover of magazines, and create Signature Shoes that can be worn as kicks by other players in the league.

Historic Chicago Bulls Teams – Ever wondered how the Lakers of today might fare against the Michael Jordan led Chicago Bulls? Get the chance to play as some of the greatest teams in NBA history like the 1985-86, 1989-90, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1994-95, 1995-96, 1996-97, and 1997-98 Chicago Bulls squads. These teams along with several other historic teams, are put at your fingertips in Quick Game mode.

ALL-NEW IsoMotion Dribbling Controls and Shot Control – Delivering the most realistic feeling and reacting dribbling system to date with seamless transitions between ankle breaking moves coupled with an all-new gesturing system allows users to intuitively translate thought to motion and dominate, like Michael Jordan, from the perimeter to the paint. Take your offensive game to the next level with an unprecedented amount of control via the enhanced Shot Stick. Dozens of new shot types, from layups to jumpshots to dunks and everything in between, are completely under the user’s control with the flick of a stick. The new Shot Branching system also allows the adjustment of shots on the fly in mid-air.

Look for more news soon about great enhancements coming to other core features like Online Mode, Blacktop, Association mode, as well as one of my favorite modes from last year, NBA Today. In this mode, audio was given context to real-world NBA happenings. All of these features packed along with the NBA 2K realistic simulation that you all love.

Well, I have probably gone on way past my time! I want to thank the people at PlayStation for giving me this time to tell you about NBA 2K11. Let me remind you to follow us on Facebook to see what’s the most new and exclusive info on the NBA 2K Franchise. As an added treat for you Sony fans, I would like to announce that the demo release date will be announced on the FB page tomorrow! So look forward to that! Until then, feel free to drop me a line below or on Twitter and I’ll do my best to get back to you ASAP. Thanks for reading!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Cardsfan333 on September 8th, 2010 at 11:56 am said:

Thanks for the response Ronnie! That’s great great news!

+ stri on September 8th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

+ jydzee on September 8th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Look’n real dope ya’ll on the Jordan Tip!!

+ FlightBrotha on September 8th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Cool! That’s my gamertag! Add Me! I play 2k10 as well of course!

+ Future_23 on September 8th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

@ Ronnie.. nice dinosaur choice! but for sure man.. im always down to get some crew games in.. I’m with you on the Crew Tourney having great potential to promote 2k.. possible cross country tourney where people advance to next city.. would be awesome could totally make it a reality show.. haha.. satellite tourneys determine crews that challenge the crews heading into town.. start in New York end in LA.. would be sick..

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

I agree!

+ Sarno1605 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Oh! and Thanks for the PS3 support!

+ Nafe24 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

can you please tells us if you changed the dunk contest? because every year its the same, and do you have to get the NBA approval to use their rosters?

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

Their current rosters? Sort of.

+ Roshern on September 8th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

i like to use directional passing, will i still be able to compete using this feature or is it best to convert over by using icon passing?

+ cuterena on September 8th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Is the Jordan preorder jersey for girls as well as guys?

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

For ladies and gents!

+ backbreaker65 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Next Year Move support Ronnie, please suggest this too your dev team. Using the drawing mechanic to create plays i.e. in timeouts or towards the end of the game.

+ BigJuice42 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

Yeah it is insane stuff and I’m pumped. Let me ask you this question then, how many signature dunks (for Jordan only) were made?

+ D-Pryde76 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

Hey Ronnie are going to have any future DLCs for example Classics teams,shoes,sleeves,and Dunk packs etc…

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

I don’t know about post-release DLC at this time. It’s possible, but not sure.

+ trapper12 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Ronnie, I can’t wait to play this with my brother. I’m glad you guys are putting Jordan in this year.

+ Chase167 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

please dont leave out custom soundtracks

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

They are in the game! Just revealed!

+ mdifusco on September 8th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

Hey Ronnie,
Great write-up. Will amare have his glasses? Thanks!

+ Syncinatti on September 8th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

Hey Ronnie, first of all I commened the entire 2k team in what u all have accomplished this dev cycle. i got 2 questions:
1 (something ive always had an issue with)… when u put created players/teams into an association or export your team from associations the faces often change to default. please tell me that will change with 2k11
2 will Pc content be readily available on par with xbox/ps3. because i want to get 2k11 for all three systems but i might wait on pc if the content/patches isnt available till spring like 2k10

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

I know that was an issue last year Sync that the Dev team looked into. I will get them to officially address that in the Association insight.

The PC is one of the best consoles to play it on in my opinion. But patches are different timings for the different consoles.

+ Future_23 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

Will we be able to have 15 man rosters as a default for online leagues.. and will switching/saving playbooks and settings actually work this year?

+ Bjarno86 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

So… will the platinum be possible to get this year? :)

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

It was possible last year, the Good Teammate Trophy had some weirdness for a couple people. We did quite a bit of testing there so pretty confident that shouldn’t be a problem.

+ DZORMAGEN on September 8th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

This is going to be the BEST game, just make sure all the trophies work this year!!

+ Cardsfan333 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:34 pm said:

Are goggles and face masks accessories now, instead of being part of the player?

+ tonydamiani on September 8th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

How about the PS Home shirt of Jordan?

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

Jersey? You can get it by pre-ordering through Gamespot.

+ joeblows on September 8th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

are you guys working on the online framerate? the difference between an online game and offline were huge. also, is 2kshare still in? and what improvements have been done to this great feature

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

2K Share is in there. That’ll be discussed in the Presentation Insight.

Online will be discussed soon as well.

+ TornadoZadar on September 8th, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

Well, Ronnie, since you already mentioned the Reign Man, will it be possible to recreate the Lister Blister? :)
I’m a little dissapointed that the classic 94/95 Rockets team isn’t in the game. It would sure be nice to harass David Robinson and the Spurs with Hakeem.

In My Player, I would like to see not only the attribute caps (which is already mentioned in one of the Dev Insights), but also the height caps for every position. Every My Player center (and not only center) is about 7’5 tall. No wonder every Top 10 Crew has at least 3 all-99-overall giants.

+ IncaVKuran on September 8th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

Hey Ronnie my question is wheres the NBA 2K11 Jordan Edition/Collectors Edition

+ PriMeTiiMe27 on September 8th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

Ronnie, will 2k ever have a realistic progression system for association mode where progression is based on performance not just potential? And will there still be the same issue of people being too buff and the thickness of a person being based on the weight when creating players or will you have the ability to manually set the thickness of each body part like ncaa football?

+ GoingFurther on September 8th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

Please, please answer this, for the OS community and 2k’ers alike, do you guys get rid of the silhouettes for drafted players in franchise?

Nothing like having most of my team being ‘faceless’ by year four of association! lolol

thanks ronnie

+ nickolas82 on September 8th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

please make 3point contest gamemode with move.
Tell us if this is possible or not!

+ mcbuttz78 on September 8th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

I have real concern, why is draft skill camp so lack luster, Does it still punish players for the AI cpu mistakes?, How about how when you pass the ball to a Ai player and it passes it away from the basket when there wide open to make the shot right in front of the basket..

I also dislike how you couldnt call for the ball in critical times, with out penalty.. thats just dam stupid. Your trying to win the game as well. I understand ball hoggin ” yes thats cliche’.. But If the game on the line and its your team why cant you call for the dam ball if Ai is stuck in a trap.. Is this fixxed

Also there need to be a defensive stance button this auto defensive is robbery . you cannot guard a slash type player , there’s no weak side help function, When you do try to stop them the cpu call blocking foul and touching foul 95% of the time, is this fixxed..

I love the game but a few things need to be fixxed like draft camp and defensive stances. Thers no way to stop a slash type player , becuase theres no weak side help function. Then game critic you on how he dropped 23 pts on you when you dropped 10 pt 10 asst and 10 rbs in the lost..

+ JnF_Gho5t on September 8th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

I hope the online isn’t laggy compared to 2K10

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

A major focus to make online be amazing. We’ll speak to that soon.

+ stlcardinal9 on September 8th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

OMG Michael Jordan on the cover..Michael Jordan in the game.. First day buy for me…I will buy two copies and never open one of them just because Michael is on the cover! AWESOME

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

MJ23: His Airness. What else can be said?

+ KAPADO on September 8th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

The Church of Sony would like to welcome his airness,jack Tretton’s name be praised

+ Unbreakable21 on September 8th, 2010 at 4:19 pm said:

serious question, when this game comes out, will it actually be finished or will it be a broken price of trash like the NBA2k10?

+ JnF_Gho5t on September 8th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

This will own Elite 11. Thanks for giving this info and i’m glad to see that the PS3 will have Custom Soundtracks!

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

Glad I could help.

+ BigPoppaB on September 8th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

Dude, why are you replying like this… do it with the actual posts in red lol

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

You guys should check out the newest video provided by the fine people at Operation Sports. Should answer a lot of questions! – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWeOUzZagf0

+ I_am_rushin on September 8th, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

Can the PS Move be used online?

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

I don’t see why not…

+ Delvo on September 8th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

I have a HUGE idea that has never, ever been done in a basketball video game ever! It’s a very important part of the game that could and will change video game basketball games forever. I want to contact you personally so my idea won’t get stolen. I’m not on Twitter, but I am on Facebook and PSN (Delvo). I hope to hear from you soon.

+ HammyT31 on September 8th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

Hey Ronnie,

is there any way staples center can be fixed? midcourt line should be purple. Also, are the actual sounds of the arena going to be in the game (ex. staples center organs). I know 2k10 had some, but they were not real sounding like live 10 had. Thanks!

+ Ronnie Singh on September 8th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

Audio has a lot of terrific stuff going on. We should have an Insight on that soon. From what I heard, the in-stadium sounds are totally buff this year.

+ kingmagic718 on September 8th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

This 2k is going to be the best ever

+ BigPoppaB on September 9th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

Getting this day one… but

1. I really hope you guys have fixed online. It was unplayable last year. It’s hard to convince my friends to pick it up when last year’s was so laggy

2. Hope you continue with the player specific trophies… love those

3. Try not to make my Raps too brutal this year… even if they will be in real life haha

4. Will the announcers say the classic player names (apart from bulls)… and will they ever banter about time specific stuff? Not a deal breaker, but itd be nice

+ ibchuck33 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

My buddies and myself have what I guess you can call a video game fantasy league, using NBA 2K basketball. We even have a salary cap. We do this utilizing the create a team feature. Will this feature continue on in 2k11? Thanks.

+ lottegirls on September 9th, 2010 at 6:41 pm said:

Hey, Ronnie, I am from China.
In my opinion, maybe in most people’s opinion, the biggest question for the basketball video game is SLIDING. Players on the court is like sliding on the ice. Even though this problem has been sort of solved, it still be a HUGE problem predominantly among all problems. Could you please give me some insight about your improvement on that point and future plan for solving it? Thx

+ DRUSKii24 on September 9th, 2010 at 11:23 pm said:

I got 1 big question i am a huge fan of team-up dat is wat i play the most over anything and I was just wondering if they actually keep the stats for team-up this time like pts,rebounds, assist etc.

+ biscuit07238 on September 10th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

I have to admit, I’m intrigued by this concept but not 100% sold on it. I have both a 360 and a PS3 and I reserved my copy of NBA 2K11 back in May, so I am pumped about the game. Just not sure about the Move integration. There is a thread regarding this on a forum I post to regularly, I would love to get the PS Nation to weigh in on this because let’s be honest, you guys are much more qualified to comment and give valid information on it. Plus, if you are a fan of the game, you are probably a fan of the sport and we would love to hear your thoughts on other things as well. here is a link to the actual thread but feel free to comment and post on any other topics that interest you. http://nbafirst.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=74

+ jcee6dastar on September 12th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

when does the demo come out?

+ KILLA_KING_007 on September 12th, 2010 at 8:15 pm said:

heheheh I see yall added Shawn Kemp also Nice Nice

+ introvoys on September 27th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

hi! Ronnie2k
when nba 2k11 hit in stores in a few weeks…my concern is,is there another format like; a ps3move compatibility of nba 2k11 will come out or the regular stuff whenever a new game comes out?

+ ColeBeans on September 8th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

-_- maaaaan, I’m probably FINALLY going to switch over to 2K this year :( and I was so excited seeing the newest NBA Elite trailer but….WOW, you guys have some pretty amazing stuff…and MJ!! haha, at first I said ” thats stupid putting MJ on the cover and in the game! wtf” but now I’m Super Hyped for this game. :) and the My Career mode is awesome(endorsements, Shoes!!!, Press Conferences!)
all I can Say is..WOW you guys really put in work on this game.

+ Ronnie Singh on September 9th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

I am glad we have impressed you. Think you’ll never go back once getting your hands on the game.

+ HJayZ91 on September 8th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Will this game have a background in the XMB when it is highlighted, the past several years, it only had the rectangular box, but not a background, plz make it happen. reply please!!!

+ Ronnie Singh on September 9th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Where do you want this to happen?

+ Buddha-park on September 8th, 2010 at 7:30 pm said:

Two terms that are not clear.

1.”flick the Playstation Move”
Does it mean flick the right trigger or left trigger because it seems like “the Playstation Move” does shooting and dribbling.

2.” Pressing the large Move button, in conjunction with pressing the left stick in the direction of the intended receiver, will result in a quick pass.”
What on earth is “the large Move button”?

2K..please clarify these terms..

PAGE 1 2 3