PS4 - Destiny

15 Years Later: ENOS Lives On [INFOGRAPHIC]

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Sep 09, 2010 // Social Media Manager

Fifteen years ago today, PlayStation crawled out of the primordial ooze and took its first tentative steps onto North American soil. Being 15 at the time, I remember this moment with the kind of crystal clarity that only comes with youth (and way too much free time). Above all, I remember the TV advertisements. PlayStation’s 9/9/95 release was accompanied by a barrage of now-legendary TV and magazine spots peppered with confounding messages like “U R Not E” and “ENOS Lives” (which I recently learned stands for “Ready Ninth Of September,” in case that particular mystery was still haunting you).

Well, ENOS still lives. Fifteen years later, we decided to ask 3,000 North American PlayStation users what PlayStation means to them. And while the results are by no means scientific, they are entertaining — and, in at least one case, somewhat surprising. Enjoy, and feel free to share your own PlayStation 15-year anniversary memories in the comments below.

Growing up PlayStation infographic

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Thrasher20 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

What a record…. Happy birthday PlayStation

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 9th, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

Thanks much. We owe it to fans like you.

+ Thrasher20 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

And in my opinion I would pick Solid Snake as my favorite

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 9th, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

Oh, he’d be waaay up there if we had counted third-party characters.

+ Powie on September 9th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Kevin Butler is my favorite.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 9th, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

Mine too, though Polygon Man ranks a close second. (^__^)

+ Plankfan on September 9th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Happy 15th, PlayStation! Here’s to 15 more awesome years!

+ UsCoMmAnDeR on September 9th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Says in Octacon Voice: Snake………………….SNAKEEEEEEEE

+ FRANKMAN1 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Thanks sony now im hungry, give me a PS cupcake!

+ JBracin70 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Awesome!

+ MadMeat001 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

that make perfect sense, i mostly use my psp to listen music than playing game. can’t wait for that digital music distribution to come at Canada!
i don’t have a ps3 but will one day, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! how are we gonna celebrate it? man i hope there will be Twisted Metal as one of the poster we will see in infamous 2 to make us remember playstation at 2010-2011.

+ DesiTiger7 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

As much as I love my PS3, this data is pretty sad

+ THE_J on September 9th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

I totally agree with everything on this survey except the snacking part,I love food too much

+ Tr3p1dat10n on September 9th, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

You guys sure are making it suck to have my PS3 YLOD on me yesterday =( I still love you though Playstation!

+ MadMeat001 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

wooow my long comment hasn’t been sussefuly posted, but hey! happy 15th year to playstation itself!
the poll make perfect sense since i mostly use the psp to listen song than playing games.
please make us remember the back day :D

+ Boss_Tycoon_ on September 9th, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

Kratos and Drake FTW!

+ Arnold_NYC on September 9th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

Happy 15th Birthday PlayStation! Keep up the great work!

+ jayrockslife on September 9th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

I vote PS cupcakes for all PS members!

+ dragonleader33 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

Kratos and Drake are indeed good matches. The 360 and the Wii have 1 maybe 2 big names. The PS3 however has a lot of big names. All the ones listed above are great examples of why there is something for everyone on the PS3.

Happy Bday Playstation!

Lets have another great 15 years!

+ OMGmyFACE on September 9th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

If only Crash and Sly counted but those are second-party, huh? Well, in that case, Kevin Butler.

+ Shakatu on September 9th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

Too bad Spyro and Crash, who started out as PlayStation characters, aren’t anymore. They would have been ranked way up there, I’m sure!

+ mikedo2007 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

I love your stats and info for this one.

+ stlcardinal9 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

40% cannot have a partner that gets in the way of gaming???? LMAO good luck with that…this was obviously a survey full of kids and teens…

+ EMF_THEPUNISHER on September 9th, 2010 at 5:29 pm said:

HAHAHAHAHA ok whenever i get a girl in my home i play little big planet girl go crazy with sackboy so thank you PlayStation ;)

+ MadMeat001 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

playstation to go mega colorful for their 15th year! loved the theme!

+ AZ929 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

Sackboy ftw! Can’t wait to get the LBP2 Collector’s Edition!!

+ Rikith on September 9th, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

No KB to break this down for us, just a chart huh? I think those playstation cupcakes are snacking propoganda.

+ Spinout209 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

We need more Spyro the Dragon and crash Bandicoot games, those are the ones most of us grew up on and now you guys took it away from us. I better hear about it in the works at E3 2011

+ PSWii2008 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

Why aren’t Crash & Spyro up there? Is it because Sony doesn’t own them anymore? If it weren’t for Ratchet & Clank, Crash would be my favorite Sony mascot!

+ krae_man on September 9th, 2010 at 5:39 pm said:

That favorite character list is slanted towards characters fresh in everyones memory.

+ Band2eto on September 9th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

The awesomeness of the PS3 brand, when KB made an appearance? Up 1000000%!

+ DelicaGunz on September 9th, 2010 at 5:41 pm said:

Platstation = Resident Evil

Thank you for my first experience to one of the greatest franchise of all time.

Once a PS player forever a PS player.

Happy Birthday Playstation.

+ X3rj on September 9th, 2010 at 5:43 pm said:

Kratos shouldn’t be the mascot (I love him, thought): when you think of a mascot, you think on a “familiar” face. Familiar meaning someone for the WHOLE family.

Nathan’s Drake game is rated M. Both of them.

Insomniac’s Ratchet would be a nice mascot, but let remember that the game developer turned THIRD PARTY a few months ago. I think it’s better to leave Ratchet saving the galaxy instead of posing for pictures =)

The last one, Sackboy, oh my.. THAT’S THE ONE, SONY ! Look at him: adorable! His smart. He can build things, share thing and even PLAY! You can put a helmet on him, glasses, pajamas, clown shoes, Revolver Ocelot’s boots and etc !!

I would love to see him as the mascot.

+ WheelchairMan1 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:44 pm said:

Happy 15th, PlayStation U Rock. Because The Sony PlayStation Made Gaming What It Is Today With Its Technology. The Sony PlayStation Just Keeps Getting Better And Better. My Family Has Been With The Console From The Start And We Are Not About To Stop Good Job Sony.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on September 9th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

but hey, i remember one of my girlfriend dumped because i was playing FF7 too much! HAHA!! XD

+ Blkant on September 9th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

We should be damn proud of those results, especially the dating ones ;)

+ madeup6 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

Too bad Snake isn’t first part.

+ ixnine on September 9th, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

I need to buy my PlayStations a birthday cake and eat it in their honor.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PLAYSTATION!

+ boneyardweller89 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

Kratos is a BAMF, but no one beats Nathan Drake!

+ Skeith_1911 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

I wish I would have taken this survey :(

+ NCtwin on September 9th, 2010 at 6:03 pm said:

So that’s why you sent out that survey! lol

I’m glad I took the opportunity to fill it out. Those are some crazy stats.

+ KIT-_-KAT on September 9th, 2010 at 6:04 pm said:

happy birthday!!! SONY FOREVER

+ xAllanKx on September 9th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Sid Shuman can i ask you something??

there it’s gonna be an open beta for Killzone 3 multiplayer online?? or at least a registered beta?

i hope u can answer my question

+ NESGamepro on September 9th, 2010 at 6:17 pm said:

I responded to that survey not too long ago. It falls mostly in line with what I answered too.

+ DarthMoose1986 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:20 pm said:

Can’t believe not that many like cole or nathan Hale, such Blasphemy burns my eyes, ughhh.

+ suv_drift on September 9th, 2010 at 6:23 pm said:

Hehe, I would be on the one of “no snacking during gameplay”. Messy room when finish playing

+ Sarno1605 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

Love the Stats!

+ valley428 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:32 pm said:

couldnt spyro be a first party character? because spryo is awsome. The stats are really interesting and some made me laugh like “nothing, need to concentrate”

+ NINEblademanNINE on September 9th, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

Wow…You guys where actually listening to the servey I took?

Besides that, what the heck is up with that last question you asked us, with the shaving and all? Or am I mixing up two different serveys? I remember answering the questions about what would you rather give up compared to video games and the relationships and video games question.

+ PullusPardusUS on September 9th, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

Man those gamers are newb Playstation fans :-). only 20 ?

55 + Playstation 3 games collection here (and 350 + for PS1/2/PSP and 200 + for “other” systems and PC ) , Yes i am a show off :-P

oh of those first party games Ape Escape/Omega Boost/MidiEvil FTW!

also for Characters, if Gabe Logan/Lian Xing and Nathan Drake/Elena Fighter had a fight who would win? , i say Gabe Team because, well its an overkill , Gabe has too many “toys” to play with :-P so old School Playstation FTW

+ je29836 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:42 pm said:

today is my birthday too! and adam sandler’s! I cannot think of a better group to share it with! thanks playstation for all the great memories and many more to come

+ eatthemall on September 9th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

The boss is my favorite.

+ cool_Pinoy2343 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:45 pm said:

this makes me a little teary eyed as Playstation has been part of my life ever since 1998 when mgs came out. ever since then its been a HUGE part of my life. through hardships and glory, my playstation(s) has seen me through them. Happy Birthday Playstation, i love you and heres to 15 more great years!

PAGE 1 2 3