PS4 - Transistor

PlayStation: 15 Years In The Making…

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Sep 09, 2010 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Today we celebrate 15 Years of PlayStation, the gaming industry and most importantly, the PlayStation fan. It is an honor to officially kick off our celebration on the PlayStation.Blog with a retrospective journey and history lesson 15 years in the making.

The PlayStation, the PlayStation 2, the PlayStation Portable, the PlayStation 3 — these aren’t just names to Sony gaming products — these are milestones in every gamers’ coming of age story. Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Killzone and God of War, aren’t just clever titles to PlayStation classics — but defining moments in gaming history where PlayStation stands above the rest, delivering memorable experiences and jaw-dropping moments.

PlayStation 15: PlayStationPlayStation 15: PlayStation 2

Sitting at PlayStation and being part of this amazing journey as a gamer and now working with the PlayStation team, I can’t help but recollect my first encounter with Metal Gear Solid. Within moments of popping in my PlayStation Underground disc, and booting the MGS demo — I knew right there and then what I wanted to do with my life. I must have shredded through several layers of protective coating on the PlayStation disc, playing the MGS demo over and over, patiently waiting for Hideo Kojima’s classic. If I can define my favorite PlayStation moment in two words, it would be: Pyscho Mantis.

PlayStation 15: PlayStation PortablePlayStation 15: PlayStation 3

Where were you on September 9th, 1995?

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ chaoszero14 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

Happy 15th PlayStation!

+ Carl-G on September 9th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

I can’t wait for the next 15 years! :D

The PlayStation brand is the best. Always has been, and always will be;)

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 9th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

Final Fantasy IIV?

Someone doesn’t grasp roman numerals…

+ Stoffinator on September 9th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

Would you guys happen to have those pictures in bigger res? I would love to use them as wallpapers on my PC and PS3.

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 9th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

I see you ninja-edited it to actually say FFVII. Well done.

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

Don’t mess with Ninja editing skills.

+ forzanerazzurri on September 9th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

That video gave me chills. Sony you rule.

+ poodude on September 9th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

I love the PSOne, it will always be my favourite console of all time. Hell, if it weren’t for the Crash Bandicoot franchise I probably wouldn’t even be that much of a gamer today, happy 15th Playstation, I can’t wait to see what Sony has in store for us next!

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

I hear yah. If it wasn’t for Metal Gear Solid, I’d be lost.

+ NoobHunter91 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

THIS IS PLAYSTATION!!!!!!

+ CaruthK on September 9th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

Wow i’ve been gaming on Playstation for this long wow… Does not feel like 15 years.

+ LR_Se7eN on September 9th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

Happy Birthday!!!

+ heatseeker on September 9th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

man that start up sound of the ps1 sure brought back some good memories! with some nostalgia :P

+ JumpMan33 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

Dang! I can’t believe its been 15 years!
Happy Birthday PlayStation, Here’s to another great 15 years!

+ ArchAngelMai on September 9th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

I saw Folklore, Woot, of all the PS3 titles! Waiting for the Playstation 7 to launch 30 years from now, I will still be here, buying and loving!

+ JesseHaysFL on September 9th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

MG series, Ace Combat series, Madden (on ps2), Black, I.Q. (ps1), FF7, FF8, Ergheiz, The One, Lunar, Gran Turismo series, Crash Bandicoot, Spawn (ps1), Battlefield modern combat, Killzone, God of war, resident evil, Parasite eve, Xenogears, SSX tricky & soo many more. Happy fifteenth PlayStation.

+ Paranoimia on September 9th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

Not quite there yet for me, as I’m in the UK… but what a 15 years it’s been!

+ JesseHaysFL on September 9th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

Oh and will we ever get I.Q. on our ps3?

+ Sophronia on September 9th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

Sony Rocks! – Happy 15th! ^_^

+ Airwalkinman17 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

What an incredible legacy!
So glad to have been there from the start. It’s been awesome.

+ Shinogu126 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

September 9, 1995… I’m pretty sure I was in school. 6 years old… I was in first grade I think. My relatives were the ones who had a PlayStation at their place, so it was always awesome anticipating going over to their house and play various demos or whatnot. It wasn’t 5 more years until I had our own PlayStation at my house, though it was a birthday present for sis. My other sis got a PS2 for her birthday, and it took me getting a job and making my own money to get a PS3. Happy 15, PlayStation. Stick around, ey?

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

Work Hard, Play Hard.

+ deathmill3001 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

possible asleep since i was just 2 years old but i still remember the day i first got a Playstation. December 25th, 1998. With Rayman. Days later i received Crash Bandicoot. Best Christmas ever!

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

Nice. These stories are great. Keep them coming!

+ Dragonzblaze on September 9th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

playstation rules all love the playstation brand cant wait for my 320 gig ps3 ps move bundle next week ty and keep it going sony

+ joseph2411 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

What an awesome video, i hope its available to download from PSN.
Congrats on your 15th anniversary and thank you for so many great games and experiences!

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

Yep. This video will be up on PSN and Youtube as well.

+ VooDoo_94 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

Happy Birthday Sony, 15 fantastic years and more 15 to come! ;)

Thanks for Everything you did to us.
Playstation is and always be my game-console of choice, never let me down, and i’m grateful for that.

Thank you Sony.
Thank you Playsation.

+ ChiTownWild100s on September 9th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

I got my first ps a month after the original came out and iv been along for the ride ever since. Congrats sony and here’s to another 15 wonderful years to come.

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

What was your first title?

+ poodude on September 9th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

I also just want to say that the Playstation brand has given me really great memories over the years, there are many games I couldn’t imagaine not having. So really, I just want to say thanks Sony, for being able to make a console that put a smile on my face when I was sad, or helping me to feel better when I’m sick. I’m not a fanboy, Microsoft and Nintendo put out great products too, but you’ll always be number one in my book. Even if the people working at Sony just care about my money (and I’m not saying you do, but hey a coporation needs money to survive right?) you guys will always be the first console I choose. Keep making great games and great hardware, and I hope you’ll always be around in the console business. Happy 15th Playstation :).

+ Spinout209 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

Happy Birthday Sony Playstation, without you guys I don’t know what I’d be doing on in my free time. Playstation being 15 years old seems so weird. Time flies when you are owning people on your favorite video games :D

+ DarthMoose1986 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

This brought tears of gamingness to my eyes, and yes I just made up that would, giggady.

+ Floyz on September 9th, 2010 at 4:29 pm said:

I think the 15th anniversary logo would make an excellent shirt! Any plans for that sony?

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

You’re right! I’m sure someone is making this happen. (I hope)

+ Hachetboy on September 9th, 2010 at 4:30 pm said:

that playstaion 1 noise brings back so many memoreis… still have the system to and it works…. i remember when i used to play with my dad before he died when i was 3 years old….. i played that system for years… never got a ps2, i stopped playing it once i got ps3 but always kept it and never did anything to it, just put it away in its case with all its stuff and i have it as a memory from my past.

+ Zezzler on September 9th, 2010 at 4:30 pm said:

Congratulations Sony and PlayStation. you have impacted millions of lives around the world, and continue to. Because of that, I thank you, and hope for so much more in the ongoing, many, many years!

PlayStation FTW!

+ oycomics on September 9th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

“Where were you on September 9th, 1995?”

In my room, playing on my totally rad SEGA Genesis. I would unfortunately not join the PlayStation world until this last winter when I finally got a PS3. Wish I could go back in time and hop on the bandwagon a lot sooner. Thank goodness for PSOne Classics!

Congrats on 15 years, PlayStation!

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

Welcome to the PlayStation family. Enjoy your stay.

+ loadstone007 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:32 pm said:

Truly exciting.
I’ve been an avid fan of the PS brand since the PS3, and now I can’t imagine my life without it. I will continue to support it, especially if there will be a PS Phone.

So thank you, Sony.

+ DrFMA on September 9th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

We are Sony, we love PlayStation! For more and more and even more 15 Years!

+ ChiTownWild100s on September 9th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

My fav memory of the psone hands down is when i was in 7th grade. Me and about 4 of my friends had a competetion over who could finish ff7 the quickest lol. I lost the $5 bet as i took half a semester to beat the game but damn if it wasn’t soo much fun.

Great times indeed!!!! Thanks sony

+ digitalman123 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

Happy Birthday Playstation! God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and more! PS Love!

+ KILLZONE79 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

Upload this video on PlayStation store in HD

I’ve been a playstation fan for long time, ive owned PlayStation 1, PS2, PSP, PS3, Soon PlayStation Move. Sony my hats off too, ive been your biggest fan :) PlayStation Brand Rules!

+ Shergil2 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

Playstation all the way every day

Happy Birthday.

+ Blkant on September 9th, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

I still have my very first PS too, old fat and grey, but still works, though it spends its time sitting with my other classic systems. Good times, good memories, though it’s a shame to see so many of the great games of that time on the PS not continue through to today. I.E. Medievil. Oh well, they live not in sequels but in spirit I suppose :P

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

Hold onto your PlayStation, it’s NEVER too old, fat and grey.

+ TwinDad on September 9th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

Awesome video Rey.

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:10 pm said:

Ha, I can’t take credit for this one. Our amazing internal video team put this one together. Cheers to them and their hard work. I’m working on a separate video, stay tuned!

+ perrandy on September 9th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

first of all, at that time i was a sega genesis fan. but, i used to watch my younger brother play all those jrpgs.i must confess that i wasnt in to them very much by them. but, later got hooked on them via osmosis XD

anyways, i became a fan later on ps2 playing mostly jrpgs such as growlancer, la pucelle,the atelier and disgaea series etc etc

later,on the ps3 my first launch game was madden and my first blu-ray was talladega nights (the movie came free with the system)i remember that i was the number 5 of my local gamestop because there was a shortage of 60gb’s that launch day nov 17,2006

i even recalled that the gamestop guy saw me at the door when he was coming to open its door and allowed me to pick up my pre-ordered ps3

sadly, two years and a half years later my ps3 hit the bucket.but fortunately got a slim in time by christmas of last year XD

+ Blkant on September 9th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

God those start up tones for the PS and PS2 are nostalgic :P

+ AgentX on September 9th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

Well, Rey, if you want me to answer your question, where was I on 9/9/95…

I was enjoying my brand new PlayStation system that day! :)

15 years later, and I’m still rollin’ with the PlayStation family.

Congratulations!

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Right on dude. What was your first title?

+ DDavidian on September 9th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

Happy birthday PlayStation! It’s been 15 fun years.

I’ve been a loyal fan of the PS family all these year, I never got any gaming platform that wasn’t Playstation. I just wish I could’ve gotten the Playstation Pocket.

+ hcmdlive on September 9th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

i was born on September 24, 1995. I was not even born by then

+ Rey Gutierrez on September 9th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

I would’ve demanded my PlayStation — the moment I stepped outside the hospital. (Using baby hand gestures.)

+ SupaFanboy on September 9th, 2010 at 4:55 pm said:

one question:

why are there 2 rubber ducks in the logo?

+ narwhalSTAB on September 9th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

I used to play a lot of Nintendo and SEGA Genesis….until the Playstation came out. Since then I’ve owned every PS console and been given countless hours of enjoyment.

Triangle, Circle, X, Square.

+ Skeith_1911 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

Absolutely great!

I had PSOne, PS2, and now I’ve got a PS3 slim, I even have a Sony Bravia LCD TV.
Those start up tones brought me memories too, but the best memories…
Sony & PlayStation Forever! :D

+ Thrasher20 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:09 pm said:

Happy birthday PlayStation. Time to celebrate

+ spacemomkey on September 9th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

I was there for Pong dudes and dudettes, yes, I have been around awhile! I started with Pong and went to the 2600 after that, now, it’s Playstation or NOTHING! I saw the release, and waited, just to see if PS just fizzled….gladly, it didn’t. Since then, wow, I have way far too many hours logged in playing everything. The games get better and better every year. I started with pixels, now, we have entire WORLDS to play in! Keep it coming Sony, I stand ready for the next evolution!!

Spacemonkey )O(

+ Pirate43 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

truly an epic video. makes me miss otheros

PAGE 1 2 3 4