PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PlayStation Moving Into Your Home Soon

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Sep 09, 2010 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hello PlayStation Nation,

This is a particularly special week for the PlayStation brand. Today, we’re celebrating the 15th anniversary of PlayStation in North America. As someone who was here at SCEA on 9/9/95, I can honestly say that the same enthusiasm and commitment to delivering great entertainment still drives the brand forward. Which brings me to why this next week will also be special – the launch of one of the most exciting new products of the year: PlayStation Move. We’ve been gearing up for the big launch of PlayStation Move in stores across North America next week and over the course of the next few months you’ll be hearing quite a bit about PlayStation Move on your TVs, online, at your favorite PlayStation retailer, at your local mall and on some of your favorite products.

Beginning next week “PlayStation Move Headquarters” stores will come to San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago and a larger scale mall tour will debut in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Houston, DC and Chicago. We’ll have our team of Move experts at these locations throughout the fall, happy to provide in-depth demonstrations for those looking to gain a better grasp on Move’s full functionality or try out the latest games. If you’re not in one of these markets, we’ve been updating our PlayStation 3 interactive kiosks at retailers across the US and Canada to deliver PlayStation Move functionality. And maybe before you get a chance to try PlayStation Move firsthand, you’ll want to check out our new PS Move website. It’s got a lot of great info and some fun surprises too. And if we don’t get through to you with any of the above, from now through December you’ll be able to win some great PlayStation Move prizes through promotions with two of our key brand partners, SUBWAY Restaurants and Coca Cola.

As if that wasn’t enough, the hardest working man in the Marketing Department has returned to help get the word out about why PlayStation Move is perfect for every family. As some of you may have seen last week, Kevin Butler sent us a tweet to give us a glimpse into the future. Well, the future is just about here. Tonight, when the NFL kicks off its new season on NBC with a marquee matchup between the Vikings and the Saints, we’ll kick-off our new marketing campaign for the PlayStation Move. The new campaign features Kevin moving in with the Maguire family to prove that the PlayStation Move is the right entertainment solution for every family. The ad running tonight is a 60-second kick-off to the campaign. You’ll continue to see several other spots on some premiere programming this fall as KB observes how the Maguires adapt to having a PS3 and PS Move in their home. For those who may have missed it, be sure to check out the “Epic Move-tage” featuring our VP of Epic Gaming for All.

Your enthusiasm, excitement and loyalty have helped build PlayStation into a worldwide iconic brand. Here’s to the next 15 years!

Best,

Peter

98 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ DJnal05 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

EPIC

+ TakiFuGu on September 9th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

Funny commercials as usual.

+ RBakic on September 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

Happy Birthday Playstation!!!

+ nickjd331 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

I wish you would use these adverts worldwide. These are far funnier that what Europe currently uses, and therefore I believe more effective. (and surely reusing most, if not all the footage would save you money!)

+ CrapForce on September 9th, 2010 at 2:54 pm said:

ps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!always no 1!!!!!!!!!!

+ FireDragonGod on September 9th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Epic

+ vr6GOLFr32 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Wow I absolutely love the commercials! KB ftw?! of course.

Btw, I really like the website dedicated to the Move. It’s very informative and has a lot of great content to explore, also I can’t forget the entire Kevin Butler touch to everything! Buttons anyone?! imagine using your finger as a gun.. pew! pew pew!

+ yunyoe25 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

day 1. eating cake. they love me haha KB ftw congrats playstation you’ve always been my number 1 choice for gaming 15 years strong and still going

+ YeWest_is_da_man on September 9th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

“It has come to my attention that some of you still don’t know whether or not the Playstation 3 is the right console for your family…” **takes sip from mug just to end up spitting it out dramatically** “… WHAT?!”

LMAO- hilarious! And then at the end of the second one where the decor plant explodes into a bursting of flames! Look at the families reaction in the background… CLASSIC!

I am totally buying a PS Move… I might actually get one of those ridiculous looking gun things too *just because it looked so fun to look retarded with it in the spoof* and I am picking up RE5 Gold Edition and killing some mofo’n zombies. Gonna be a GREAT weekend… I’m sure my school grades are going to slip a bit :(

+ Wilsonvolley on September 9th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

Awesome blossom

+ DaveedT13 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

Guys, you have to make these adds happen in Quebec (Canada lol), in FRENCH, yeah, take the time to pay a team to translate it because here in Quebec not so many people are aware that PS3 is THE vg console to have, I know, I’m not proud of ALL people in Quebec at all…lol But, some of us are prouds supporters of the PS3 but we need HELP to convince our friends so…make it happen please, PS3 ADDS tv spots in QUEBEC because, you know, the other two consoles countenders are doing it, but not you, sadly…

+ Heatseeker125 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:47 pm said:

Kevin Butler FTW. Please get rid of Marcus. He sucks.

+ jack__burt0n on September 9th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

can i get a playstation mug?

I already have the tretton framed picture :0)

K thanks bye.

+ KainDrake on September 9th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

I’m glad KB is back. I was worried because of Marcus, we wouldn’t have KB anymore. I’m not a very big fan of the Marcus ads.

+ wolfzero1 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

love the KB ads, they almost make me want to get a PS Move

+ CaruthK on September 9th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

This is funny stuff KB…

+ TheGuardianFID on September 9th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

LOL KB FTW, great ads guys, Move is looking great!!! 8)

+ trapper12 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

Happy 15th Birthday PlayStation!

+ Sirynx77 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

Funny I celebrated the PS anniversary a while back. 9 months, 7 days or 281 days to be exact. That’s the REAL PlayStation anniversary that matters since it was the day that PlayStation was launched in Japan. December 3, 1994 is the real day that gaming world changed. Without that day…9/9/95 would have never happened.

But hardware is useless without any software. Lets also not forget the first PlayStation game ever released in the world. SLPS-00001 – Namco’s Ridge Racer.

+ ruleterren on September 9th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Man can’t wait for move. I haven’t owned any blue ray movies for my PS3, now I think ill start using it as it’s a key feature I didn’t look into much. Well thanks sony for awesome products!

P.S Plz try to get Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep for PSN so PSPgo owners can download it, but if you can’t well nice for trying. :)

+ KAPADO on September 9th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

Aww Lord Kevin Butler ,the Church of Sony would have thrown in the towel by now if you had not been forged by the hands of god himself ,blessed you KB.

+ Kittonwy on September 9th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

LOL, Butler is brilliant. >:|

+ Band2eto on September 9th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

To everyone at Sony Entertainment:

You guys rock! We loyal PS fans appreciate all the hard work and dedication you guys put towards the brand each and every day. Please keep up all the great work!

+ LandmineSalesman on September 9th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

the first ad is amazing!! Damn these are some of the best commercials I have ever seen! Buttler <3

+ Uraizen on September 9th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

Ok, I laughed… and HARD. This was awesome, keep it up!

+ Strife1721 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:57 pm said:

I remember getting my Playstation Christmas of 95 and man o man i did not realize what would today bring and i got to say im very impressed with everything. Sony you always treat your customers with the respect they deserve. I have never had a problem with your brand and i hope you continue to make the best products available. If i had the money i would buy all of your games in a heart beat and play them all day and night. Its hilarious commercials like these that let me know i made the right decision to buy and support the Playstation brand. Keep up the excellent work guys. And Happy 15th Birthday!!! Playstation you truly are a beast for a machine.

+ GoldenArm90 on September 9th, 2010 at 7:03 pm said:

Where are the “monthly dynamic themes and premium avatars” we were promised on the 6/24 blog about PlayStation Plus? We got nothing in August and so far only 1 in September.

+ NAMEK on September 9th, 2010 at 7:14 pm said:

Awsome trailers! KB FTW! Happy B-day Playstation!

+ KurdForever on September 9th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

Hey does the ps3 network gives out any free redeem codes for any anniversereys or birthdays
if they do, just add me and tell me about it

+ Jvolel on September 9th, 2010 at 7:25 pm said:

happy B-day playstation! You’ve been entertaining us for years. :)

+ Rustbucket80 on September 9th, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

Sony, your Kevin Butler commercials are the pinnacle or fantastic advertisement. You better give this guy a job for life! I love every commercials he has been in!

+ jecs90 on September 9th, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

u guys r awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks thanks and thanks…i remenber when i got my first play station 2, it was a gift from my sister. And now i have the play station 3,i can store tons of movies, games, music, pictures and lot of things.so …KEEP MOVING FORWARD…

FROM UR TRULY FAN
jecs90

+ Shinra_Soilder on September 9th, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

Hahaha. These commercials were so awesome! Happy 15 Year Anniversary PlayStation!
I wonder if you guys will update the videos on PSN and put more commercials up? I downloaded every commercial on PSN. I would love to download more.

+ MadMeat001 on September 9th, 2010 at 9:13 pm said:

thanks for writting thoses words peter dilles
by the way i kinda laughed when i saw Tron evolution in the comercial like if it was any good

+ SalvoStorm on September 9th, 2010 at 9:17 pm said:

PlayStation Plus subscribers should get an Exclusive FREE Peter Dille PAIN character that they can launch into a brick wall. He could say things like “Don’t you like my Mini?” “Oh, did you want into that Beta too?” “How about a one hour trial of Madden 07?” “Grace, don’t update the store until I get back from Happy Hour.” “I’ll release Cross Game Chat when someone accepts my friend request!”

+ FredNation on September 9th, 2010 at 10:34 pm said:

KB’s laugh is epic!

+ Incubuster on September 9th, 2010 at 11:55 pm said:

Hard to believe it’s been fifteen years since the original PlayStation, I feel kind of old now! Anyways, congratulations, and I hope the Move is as successful as you guys hope. I’ll be there day one!

+ sid6581 on September 10th, 2010 at 12:30 am said:

Although I’m getting the Move (yes, I’m one of these guys who just needs to have every gimmick) the reception to it seems lukewarm. Just look at this topic, just 86 replies, that’s not what I’d call excitement. At least Sony is doing some advertising now. However, these are the main reasons I see why the interest is not at its boiling point:

1. There is not one blockbuster game for Move. Yes, Sports Champions and Tumble are nice. But there is not one single game, be it announced or available, which really catches the public who already knows the Wii lineup of games.

2. You really should have emphasized on the Augmented Reality feature which sets Move apart. Just imagine people having a light saber in their hands. THAT ALONE would have got the attention of everyone and his mother. Or patch more of the PS3 classics like Resistance, God of War 3, Uncharted 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4.

3. You guys really need to push your products with more effort. Playstation Home, PSPGo, EyeToy, all great products but it never seems you are really behind it with all Sony can do – advertising, software support, great blockbusters. And I mean support, also one year after launch (I look at you PSP go).

+ ilkhani on September 10th, 2010 at 6:06 am said:

Congratulations on the 15 years, been enjoying the games and consoles since PS1 with Wipeout and Destruction Derby etc.
Love KB as usual!
Keep up the good work.

+ lyfestory on September 10th, 2010 at 7:25 am said:

Kevin is definitely the King when it comes to PS3 ads… keep them coming… hilarious stuff…

+ arnoldmcguire335 on September 10th, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

@14 I would like that too.
Sony, do this ad @14 suggested.

+ scorpio182 on September 10th, 2010 at 7:59 am said:

Happy Birthday PS Nation!!!

+ EmoSaga on September 10th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

I love the picture of Jack Tretton next to the TV in the motorhome! hahahah <3 I love that man too Kevin =)

+ Pistolgrip on September 10th, 2010 at 11:38 am said:

Best ad campaign currently out there period. These have the quality and wit typically seen in superbowl ads. Amazing job to Peter Dille and the team. Sadly SCEE seems to be having problems adjusting their brand strategy as their commercials continue to be confusing and dull.

+ Jawwz415 on September 10th, 2010 at 9:08 pm said:

Playstation is older than most people that play Xbox LOL!

But seriously, go Playstation! 15 years of awesomeness! Playstation ROCKS!

+ driver4_ on September 11th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

Playstation really does have everything now, and the move line-up is very good! Well, all I could say is that Playstation Move will be moving into my home eventually, it would be fun to play a game with my dad for once, The Fight: Lights Out, here I come!!!

And Happy 15th Birthday Playstation!

+ mackt123 on September 12th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update

+ nutellapr on September 14th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

Peter, the software bundle for current owners of the eye is a kick in the crotch to us early adopters and loyal customers. The software bundle is $99.99. If I buy a move controller and sport champions separately i’m forking over $89.99. This seems very distorted. There should be another $99.99 bundle that includes: Move controller, navigation controller, sports champions. This seems fair and comparable to the bundle that includes the eye and would avoid alienating your current eye ownership base.

PAGE 1 2