PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PlayStation Store Celebrates 15 Years of Innovation

Ro Hernandez's Avatar + Posted by Ro Hernandez on Sep 09, 2010 // Digital Distribution Manager, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone,

As many of you are already aware, today marks a monumental milestone for gamers in North America. Fifteen years ago, the original PlayStation console was introduced, forever altering the entertainment experience for our loyal PlayStation fans and revolutionizing the video game industry. In order to celebrate our 15-year anniversary with you, we are launching a new category on the PlayStation Store (look under New Releases) that will hold classic content in PlayStation’s history.

PlayStation 15 Year Anniversary - Store Category

Today, we’re kicking off the celebration with a sale on Super Rub ‘a’ Dub. How does this fit into PlayStation’s history? Well some of you may not know that the ducks in Super Rub ‘a’ Dub were used in a tech demo at E3 2005 to show the processing power of the PlayStation 3. Along with Super Rub ‘a’ Dub, we will also have a sale on Suikoden, an iconic RPG from Konami that launched within the first year of the PlayStation’s release. Finally, be sure to check out a free anniversary theme available for the PlayStation 3 and PSP.

15th Anniversary ps3_theme

Suikoden_game_EN PlayStation Store - Super Rub A Dub

The celebration doesn’t stop after today! We will continue to add content onto the anniversary section of the PlayStation Store. Thank you again for your continued support and we look forward to celebrating this milestone with you.

126 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ ProjectInfiniti on September 9th, 2010 at 2:33 pm said:

I’ve just saw this on the Store. Happy B-Day PlayStation!

+ electronicpart on September 9th, 2010 at 2:33 pm said:

+ DJKim0701 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

PSone games such as chrono cross, gran turismo, etc Please!!!

+ ProjectInfiniti on September 9th, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

The theme on my PS3 & PSP Go is beautiful! Just purchased Suikoden & Super Rub-A-Dub just purchased!

PS+ discounts, PSOne imports on PSN, Move, and games are going to jackhammer my wallet this month, but it’s all worth it! :D

Thanks again Sony! <3

+ niked on September 9th, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

Congratz SONY and Playstation! I really hope Playstation brand continues to innovate and survive the upcoming challenges! God Speed!!

BTW. Peter Dille! I love you! You know how to market Playstation and MOVE. GET YOU ASS TO EUROPE! They cant market for [DELETED]! I see Halo Reach everywhere but MOVE is nowhere to be seen…

I work at a electronic store and do my best to show of MOVE to people. They love it and really can feel and see the difference. But that is not enough, get your PR team fixed in EUROPE ASAP. They are an embarrassment for SONY..

PLEASE let Peter Dillie read this and take actions against SCEE stupidity.

+ Stoffinator on September 9th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

I would LOVE it if the Store background was a theme for my XMB. Just love that background, Please please make it happen.

And congrats to the PS family for 15 great years.

+ Chase167 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

Congrats hope PlayStation stays for another 15 years

+ Sarno1605 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

Where’s a game for free? You’ve done it before Sony, come on!

+ electronicpart on September 9th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

so are they free ?

+ Dragonzblaze on September 9th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

awesome cant wait to pick up my 320 gig ps move bundle next week and download all the new cool stuff

+ DrBingogh on September 9th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

Happy Birthday Playstation! Thanks for all the good times and sore thumbs!

+ Pesico on September 9th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

You should also add Move and Trophy support for Super Rub a Dub. It’s such a cool game.

+ stlthriot on September 9th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

Sounds awesome, so there will be new items on sale the next coming weeks as well? :D

+ ProjectInfiniti on September 9th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

I agree with comment #5, along with the 15th Anniversary logo being an avatar on PSN :D

+ G-Force08 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

Ah 15 years. And it feels like only yesterday that little gray box made its way right into my heart, then the black box, then that awesome hand held, and now the ever so sleek and sexy EVERYTHING station. =]

You guys have come a long way and have really impacted the gaming industry, entertainment, and technology on a whole in ways that one could only have imagined less than 2 decades ago. Like I always say, keep it coming!

+ PhillyTheCat on September 9th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

cool. I just bought a PSN card today. Is Suikoden any good??

+ ultradood on September 9th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

LETS GO PSN!!! ADD ME IF U HAVE MW2

+ ice_man_fb on September 9th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

GREAT THEME… and hope for very good content

+ WoshJills on September 9th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

Congrats PlayStation!
15 years is a long time. I was 3 when the original PlayStation was launched.

You guys will last another 15 more years if you keep listening to your fans. Don’t ever forget the core audience!

+ SolidusSquirrel on September 9th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

Excellent choice of PSone classic to kick things off!

To bad I already got it when it first came out…

+ thealphajohn on September 9th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

Am I the only person who finds the PSN UI antiquated and unusable?

If I know exactly what I want to buy, it’s no less than 13 clicks. Things that are the norm are treated as an exception (e.g. you have an episode of a tv show in your cart, click 2x to buy, then again to say “yes watch while downloading”, then again to quit the store and start playback). Most of the first class use cases are treated as corner cases and vice versa, making almost everything you do cumbersome. I think back to Jeff Bezos and the 1-click patent (feelings about patents aside, it took three iterations of development and reengineering to get down to 1-click to buy).

The wallet concept is pointless, especially since you put round numbers into your wallet (e.g. $5) but the cost of everything ends in .99 — I expect this if I buy a gift card for a round number, but for transactions where it goes directly to my credit card it makes no sense.

I have also looked at PSN Plus a couple times, and do not see the value in it.

Maybe I’m not the target user, but the 15th anniversary punctuates to me how immature PSN really is.

+ R2tito11 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

i still remember the day i decided to buy a PSX instead of a Saturn, and never regreted it; long live SONY

+ snake4308 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

Happy birthday Playstation!!

I first got my console in 97 and ohh the times we had…..

let’s see…i have my Playstation, PSOne, ps2, two psp’s and my beautiful 80 GB MGS bundle ps3 and yes they all works still lol. that’s the sony brand for you…they last for decades as long as you don’t abuse them

+ ManaKnight on September 9th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

I bought my first PS1 in 1995. Still my favorite console ever. PlayStation has big one of the most important things in my life. They got me into games more so than ever, and every PlayStation platform is the best. I’ll be celebrating playing all my PS platforms.

+ PhillyTheCat on September 9th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

Yeah I miss my old PS1! It’s nice to have the option of buying some classics I once owned and ones I never played. Keep up the great work SCEA.

+ SpyDudeFX on September 9th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

Great theme, too bad it’s not a dynamic theme which is more worthy for such a huge milestone in PS History.

+ Karsghul on September 9th, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

I feel like Playstation have been supporting me for all this years.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

HAPPY BIRDAY PLAYSTATION..IVE HAD A WORNDERFULL 15 YEARS WITH YOU AND I CANT WAIT FOR THE MANY MORE YEARS TO COME.I FIRST GAME I PLAYED WAS TWISTED METAL..AND THE GAME THAT GOT ME HOOKED WAS CRASH BANDICOOT (SUCKS HE IS NO LONGER AN XCLUSIVE CHARACTER TO THE PLAYSTATION COMPANY, BUT HE WILL ALWAYS BE A BIG PART OF MY GAMING LIFE).I WAS A NINTENDO FAN FOR SOMETIME BUT I REALIZED NINTENDO WASNT HARDCORE ENUFF FOR ME..THE GAMES SEEMED TOO SIMPLE AND COLORFULL..THEN PLAYSTATION CHANGED MY GAMING LIFE..FROM JUMP AND PUNCH TO SHOOT AND DESTROY!THEN THERE WAS THE GAMEBOY..SAME KIDDIE GAMES AND NOTHING XTRA…UNTILL THE PSP CAME ALONG..NOW I CAN WATCH MOVIES LOOK AT MY PIXS PLAY MUSIC..AND PLAY HARDCORE GAMES ON IT.I JUST LOVE PLAYSTATION..THEY TAKE A GOOD IDEA AND JUST MAKE IT BETTER! KUDOS TO ALL OF THE EMPLIYEES AT PLAYSTATION..I WISH I COULD BE A PART OF THAT COMPANY..BUT I GUESS I’LL JUST SUPPORT IT ..SO THEY CAN CONTINUE MAKING THE BEST IDEAS BETTER :P

+ Stoffinator on September 9th, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

@14 That would be so awesome if they did a 15 years avatar. Come on Sony. :-p

+ Jim777 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:52 pm said:

Its been 15 epic years, heres to another 15!

+ Destiny89 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:53 pm said:

Happy Birthday Sony you guys are truly epic! ah i so wish if we can get Tales of Vesperia in this great day :(

+ Crystol_Pistol on September 9th, 2010 at 2:57 pm said:

OoO gotta get that theme!
Happy Bday Playstation!

+ Kagenish on September 9th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

WOW i can’t believed is 15 years already i remember playing need for speed hot pursuit and falling in love with the PlayStation can’t wait to see the next 15 years. HAPPY 15TH Anniversary Sony & PlayStation

+ Korbei83 on September 9th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

Pocketstation! You can release that in North America anytime.

+ MegamiTensei13 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US ALL ……..THE PLAYSTATION FANS!!!!!!!!
WE ARE THE ONES WHO MAKE THE PLAYSTATION A SUCCESS

Got Suikoden !!!!! and the free theme is awesome !!!

Congratulations to all Sony Team too :)

+ Wii60_DarkPGR on September 9th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

Will the current deals stay there for the duration of the event? or are we forced to gamble what to buy if in a budget?

+ EHryan on September 9th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

yay! let celebrate by putting chrono cross on psn!

+ CrimsonPaw on September 9th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

Yes, the PSOne had a TON of great games and I welcome it being 15 years old. My questions, though, is that why is the US NOT seeing many of these great PSOne classics that have been released in the East (Xenogears, Policenauts, G-Police, etc) … does Sony hate the US user base or does anyone know why games get released in one region and not another?

+ zekececil14 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

Happy 15th Birthday PlayStation!

But, i’m sad I can’t fit “Happy Birthday PlayStation” in my comment.

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 9th, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

I hope we see some new PS1 classics as part of this event. WTB Suikoden II.

I can’t connect to the store currently. Is the free theme awesome? I want it.

+ Reginthorn on September 9th, 2010 at 3:08 pm said:

Sweet!!!!!

+ boxmyth on September 9th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

Ah, Suikoden. Such great memories from that game in the early days. That and Wild Arms were two big reasons I got a PlayStation.
Now, I find my PS3 library is finally starting to rival my PS1 and PS2 collections.

Here’s to 15 more years of PlayStation! (PS4 & 5?)

+ Roxas598 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

Are we getting this kind of sale across the pond?

if not, RAGE!!

+ CaNNibiSJutsu on September 9th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

Happy 15th Bday PS…..

+ Shacojin on September 9th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

Happy Birthday PlayStation!

+ TwinDad on September 9th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

Thanks for the back story on Super-rub-a-dub.

+ Cherild on September 9th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

happy birthday sony! playstation and thx you playstation 4ever!! im playing tekken 6! all day and cod mw2

+ BulletTooth228 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:19 pm said:

are you guys are that freaking greedy that couldn’t make a dynamic theme for your fans??

omg playstation.. most of us have spent hundreds and hundreds (me thousands) of dollars on you..

give us more than a picture and call it a “theme”

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 9th, 2010 at 3:22 pm said:

It is a theme. It changes all the icons and things.

+ Versitle2 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

happy birthday playStation hope its a good one and thanks for being the best in gaming movies and entertainment for the past 15 year hope to see you around for 15 great years to come

PAGE 1 2 3