PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Store Celebrates 15 Years of Innovation

Ro Hernandez's Avatar + Posted by Ro Hernandez on Sep 09, 2010 // Digital Distribution Manager, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone,

As many of you are already aware, today marks a monumental milestone for gamers in North America. Fifteen years ago, the original PlayStation console was introduced, forever altering the entertainment experience for our loyal PlayStation fans and revolutionizing the video game industry. In order to celebrate our 15-year anniversary with you, we are launching a new category on the PlayStation Store (look under New Releases) that will hold classic content in PlayStation’s history.

PlayStation 15 Year Anniversary - Store Category

Today, we’re kicking off the celebration with a sale on Super Rub ‘a’ Dub. How does this fit into PlayStation’s history? Well some of you may not know that the ducks in Super Rub ‘a’ Dub were used in a tech demo at E3 2005 to show the processing power of the PlayStation 3. Along with Super Rub ‘a’ Dub, we will also have a sale on Suikoden, an iconic RPG from Konami that launched within the first year of the PlayStation’s release. Finally, be sure to check out a free anniversary theme available for the PlayStation 3 and PSP.

15th Anniversary ps3_theme

Suikoden_game_EN PlayStation Store - Super Rub A Dub

The celebration doesn’t stop after today! We will continue to add content onto the anniversary section of the PlayStation Store. Thank you again for your continued support and we look forward to celebrating this milestone with you.

126 Comments

+ Kirkpad on September 9th, 2010 at 3:33 pm said:

Coolio!

Happy birthday PS!

+ daniel_kazuya on September 9th, 2010 at 3:33 pm said:

Happy Birthday….I have the first ps1 yet….
but Sony its birthday at least a ps1 game free for us….c’mom !!!

+ PhillyTheCat on September 9th, 2010 at 3:38 pm said:

The requested funds have been added to your wallet. Your wallet now contains $21.08. Suikoden for 2.99 I’m downloading now along with the PS theme of course and some more games probably Soul Reaver, MediEvil, and Resident Evil 3 hopefully it doesnt have any problem with it like the one I’ve been reading lately. Sony please add some more Classics I will buy them If they are worth my $$$.

+ ArchAngelMai on September 9th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

Happy Birthday with a little love since I have been with you guys since day one. Made this video for you, I ripped it from Qore EP 28! Love you PS and SCEA!!!!

+ The1stMJC on September 9th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

Sweet I have PSN money to spend. Might wait to see what other PSone games go on sale next week. Hopes for Crash & Sim City.

+ TheTwelve on September 9th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

Happy Birthday Playstation I was with you in the beginning, will be with you until the end!

+ ArchAngelMai on September 9th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

@PhillyTheCat Yeah, I bought Suikoden back in DEC 08, its still worth the $6 price tag it had! One of the best RPG’s on PS1, and still a series I try and follow to date.

+ daniel_kazuya on September 9th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

and Im with you PS foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

+ PhillyTheCat on September 9th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

@ArchAngelMai~ thank you for letting me know:)

+ KongWen on September 9th, 2010 at 3:47 pm said:

Great time to launch some new PSOne classics!

Happy anniversary PlayStation, and thanks for making me feel old… I remember making a conscious decision to pick up a PS1 instead of an N64, even after a decade of being a loyal Nintendo (NES, SNES) fan. Turns out I made the right decision.

+ Tyrant_x2 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

Please have them support Trophies,PLEASE old games or not,trophies FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

+ Sirynx77 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Still no Ridge Racer as a PSOne Classic? Even though Kaz Hirai showed it on stage at E3 2006. Remember “”It’s Ridge Racer!… Riiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaceeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr!”

Way to go Sony… continue your streak of broken promises.

+ soulreaver182 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

A wonderful celebration indeed for Playstation. To have come this far in the video game industry.

To think you guys were originally going to be an add-on for the Super Nintendo.

+ NoobHunter91 on September 9th, 2010 at 3:55 pm said:

This is why…

+ BigBoss712 on September 9th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

Congrats on the 15 years.

+ KazeEternal on September 9th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

Hopefully this celebration will continue with more PS One releases on the store in addition to these discounts.

+ zlihunger on September 9th, 2010 at 4:12 pm said:

yes! awesome awesome awesome!

+ spideyal on September 9th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

Please tell me these PS Ani items are here until around the 15th. I’m away from home right now, which means away from my PS3, but I’d really like to get these items.

+ brianace on September 9th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

I know where I was 15 years ago today. Standing in line at the Electronics Boutique, buying a Playstation and a copy of Battle Arena Toshinden. Remember that?

+ ruleterren on September 9th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

Happy Birthday! Ah, nice touch with the awesome 15th anniversary theme for free which will be my new primary theme of choice for both my PSPgo and PS3. :)

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on September 9th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

so nostalgic… 15 years ago i sell my ultra 64 to buy me a THE Playstation 1 and twisted metal included! what a great memories!

+ Dice_for_Death_ on September 9th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

Here’s to another 15 years.

+ TheGuardianFID on September 9th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

Nice, thank you Sony and congrats!!! 8)

+ OMGmyFACE on September 9th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

Already have Suikoden but I wanted to put it out there: everyone else who doesn’t have it, buy it. Now. Best RPG of all time.

+ megamixer on September 9th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

I bought Rub a Dub the first day I got my PS3 and Suikoden the day it came out on the PS store :p Great deals for those who have yet to pick up these gems though. Looking forward to round two!

+ drdre74 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

i never had a psone. i was one of those guys that bought a saturn lol. i was the only one in my dorm that didnt have a psone

+ MadMeat001 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

the theme is on psp too?

+ PlayjoyX16 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

Happy birthday guys! A true loyal fan, stuck to you guys since the PS1 days, all the way to the PS3! Did not look back, ever. Even in the tough days of the PS3, you guys were awesome!

+ nozomi429 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

Yayyy. Still have my original PS, PS2, PSP-1000, and my 3rd generation PS3! <3

Why does the picture of the theme here have a pretty background, while the actual theme itself only has a solid black background with the "15" on it? Lame. D:

+ cronqvist on September 9th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

I would’ve thought a BIGGER celebration was in order. Nonetheless, Suikoden is an awesome game, and I’m getting it ASAP. Oh, and that theme is pretty cool, too.

Happy BD PlayStation!

+ Grouken on September 9th, 2010 at 5:41 pm said:

Happy birthday Playstation. (Who recommends me Super Rub a Dub?)

+ Band2eto on September 9th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

I love you guys at Sony!

+ Ashend on September 9th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

That’s a really striking theme, I hope its not for a limited time though – I’m in College. And when I get back, it’s game time!

+ WheelchairMan1 on September 9th, 2010 at 5:50 pm said:

Happy 15th, PlayStation U Rock. Because The Sony PlayStation Made Gaming What It Is Today With Its Technology. The Sony PlayStation Just Keeps Getting Better And Better. My Family Has Been With The Console From The Start And We Are Not About To Stop Good Job Sony.

+ zombie9 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:30 pm said:

All I got to say is I hope your around in 15 more years 2025?:)

+ burningcloud39 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:32 pm said:

Happy Birthday Playstation.I had the original playstation console ( still got it and it still works too) and i was impressed with the quality of games from back then. I own a ps3 today and i am still very impressed. Keep up the good work Sony.Always will be a loyal sony fan. :-)

+ dablemont on September 9th, 2010 at 6:40 pm said:

Oh come on!!! Bring Suikoden 2 already!!! Please! Pretty please! Kevin Butler, help me.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on September 9th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

The 15 anniversary theme is SOO NICEE!!
i mean really! the icons, simple background playstation graph, easy to read, nice colors choices…
it just make me fell so combfortable front of my 47″ TV!
btw, i bought whitout any hesitation rub-a-dub and suikoden the first second i saw the post for the 15th anni ps store add.

+ hush404 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:54 pm said:

H
D
A
Y
!

+ remanutd5 on September 9th, 2010 at 6:59 pm said:

happy 15th birthday Playstation , i have been with you since the very first day , i have played some truly amazing games throughout all those years and i know for sure that wont change this generation ( i still have to play The Last Guardian ) , looking forward to another 15 years and please we want the PSP2 to have full psn funtionalities , thanks guys for giving me a lot of entertainment
playstation fan forever !!!!

+ GoldenArm90 on September 9th, 2010 at 7:05 pm said:

Where are the “monthly dynamic themes and premium avatars” we were promised on the 6/24 blog about PlayStation Plus? We got nothing in August and so far only 1 in September.

+ letherclad on September 9th, 2010 at 7:10 pm said:

Happy Birthday Playstation, I’ve been with you since the beginning and can’t wait for the next 15 years!

+ TripG on September 9th, 2010 at 7:13 pm said:

Happy birthday. Although what would have really made it is if Chrono Chross and Intellgience Cube suddently appeared.

+ Antonisbob on September 9th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

For PSone classics could we PLEASE have rogue trip and panzer front?!?!?

+ NateDtail91 on September 9th, 2010 at 7:44 pm said:

totally bought suikoden and the theme total genius. Hope to see future landmark ps1 discounts and maybe even new released ps1 games to the PSN maybe I.Q. or Vagrant Story, just a thought. Happy Birthday Playstation

+ inito324 on September 9th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

Congratulations PlayStation on your 15th Anniversary!

+ SlashGashTerror1 on September 9th, 2010 at 7:54 pm said:

a ps 15 anni-avatar would be nice nice…also maybe u can bring us a ps2 game section :)

+ Nibeltos on September 9th, 2010 at 8:09 pm said:

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!

+ WWESuperstar on September 9th, 2010 at 8:27 pm said:

Does anyone know what the thing is that’s used as the photo icon on the anniversary theme?

+ Lestatdelioncort on September 9th, 2010 at 8:41 pm said:

Should I buy Suikoden? I like RPGs and if you think i should just say Do it!