Far Cry 4

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One First PS3 Gameplay Video

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Sep 10, 2010 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

First off, I want to thank all of you folks who came out to visit us at during PAX 2010 in Seattle. It was great to see you at the PlayStation.Blog meet-up, the Ratchet & Clank panel, and the live recording of the Full Moon Show.

I also wanted to share with you the first direct feed gameplay of Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, along with commentary from North Carolina Studio Director Chad Dezern:

Make sure you check it out in glorious 720p high-definition. It’s a beautiful game.

Also: Many of you have been e-mailing, tweeting and posting questions on our message boards. Chad wanted to address some of your most frequently asked questions. Check out his latest “Backwoods Mayhem” blog from Insomniac North Carolina!

If you have questions that Chad didn’t address in his blog, I’ll be happy to try to answer them below.

+ Lucky13X on September 10th, 2010 at 9:39 pm said:

Wow, there are 98 comments and 94 replies. Holy cow, almost everyone got answered. That has to be some kind of record?

+ James Stevenson on September 10th, 2010 at 9:48 pm said:

Make it 101 of 102!

+ gamerboy845 on September 10th, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

its becase James Stevenson and Insomniac Games are beast!!

+ James Stevenson on September 10th, 2010 at 9:48 pm said:

We just love you guys so much and are so excited to be bringing you two kickass games next year!

+ freddyrivas on September 10th, 2010 at 10:00 pm said:

thanks for the replies and this game looks sweet will play this till resitance 3 googd job guys

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

You’re welcome!

+ freddyrivas on September 10th, 2010 at 10:01 pm said:

good

+ nsnsmj on September 10th, 2010 at 10:46 pm said:

The visuals in this game look really good!

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

Thank you! The team is working really hard on it!

+ NotoriousGamer on September 10th, 2010 at 11:04 pm said:

Is this game comin out in 2011 or 2012? 50 dollar game?

why R3 talking sooooo long????

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

All 4 One will be available in Fall 2011. It will be a full retail ($60) title.

R3 is, along with All 4 One, the first game on our three year production cycle. This gives us more time to iterate and polish our games, and should result in a better game!

+ NotoriousGamer on September 10th, 2010 at 11:04 pm said:

also can you please bring trophy support to fall of man?? plzzzzzzzz

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

Unfortunately we cannot go back and patch old games for trophies. We’re always focused on what’s ahead for us.

+ ClassicSpyroFan on September 10th, 2010 at 11:47 pm said:

O, will this game have events? So you can get exclusive skins, or weapon mods, or wrench replacement?? And will it have add on content?? LONG LIVE INSOMNIAC GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

There will of course be unlockables and cool stuff that makes the game worth replaying. :-)

+ Chubcorp on September 11th, 2010 at 12:03 am said:

At 5:50 left the monster looks a lot like Tachyon not in size of course. Am I mistaken. Maybe it’s the color scheme.

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

Color scheme. :-)

+ altair_killer on September 11th, 2010 at 12:36 am said:

Kindly let the guys at Insomniac know that we fans truly Love them and support everything they make ! :)

+ Kchow23 on September 11th, 2010 at 2:59 am said:

thanks… finally another game that adds co-op that is available on PS3

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

You’re very welcome!

+ Carl-G on September 11th, 2010 at 4:18 am said:

I just want PS2 playback on a PS3 please. So i can play all my R&C PS2 games on it when i want :-(

Can’t wait for this new game tho;)

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

I think your best bet there is to keep buying the HD Collections of PS2 games (God of War, Sly Cooper) – if Sony sees the demand, maybe they’ll do Ratchet & Clank!

+ Spinout209 on September 11th, 2010 at 5:03 am said:

Damn, talk about dedication, these replies are great. Will this have online?

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

Yes. Online and same-screen 1-4 player drop-in drop-out co-op.

+ Noaxzl on September 11th, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

Wow! 102 replies for this post? That’s some real dedication to your fans.

I’ll be honest. At first, I wasn’t too thrilled with a multiplayer-based Ratchet & Clank game. I’m personally more interested in single-player games, and I thought that this was just one of those series, like BioShock or Kingdom Hearts, that didn’t really need a multiplayer addition. However, this game looks like it’ll be fun. The enjoyment of multiplayer will definitely depend on who you play with. The people I play with in my circle of friends aren’t exactly cooperative.

From what I’ve seen so far, this looks like a game I’ll probably be picking up. I hope this game is released sometime soon in 2011.

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

There’s always some great folks on our community that will love to play along with ya online.

You can also turn off grief-ing if your friends are really mean. :-)

We’re still totally focuesed on story and making this a really great Ratchet & Clank adventure as well!

+ copyciycat on September 11th, 2010 at 7:20 am said:

In single player will you play with all 3 other characters or just 1? Either way I can’t wait for this game. My friend told me that there wouldn’t be any more ratchet and clanks and I was devastated.
Oh and is Deadlock the same as Ratchet Gladiator?

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

In single-player, you pick your character, and you pick one companion who will be controlled by AI. So two characters on screen so you can still do all the co-op stuff!

And Gladiator is the SCEE name for Deadlocked.

+ craildo on September 11th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

So… do each of the characters have their own special abilities or something?

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

Yes. But more on this later.

+ TubaDude49 on September 11th, 2010 at 10:10 am said:

I’ll have to admit, I was skeptic at first, but you are one of the two companies that I completely ignore skepticism with, because you always deliver a great project that greatly exceeds my expectations(the other being Pixar).

I must say I cannot wait for this game. I am getting a strong Crash Twinsanity vibe and I am loving it

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

Wow! Pixar! That’s lofty praise! We’ll do our best to continue to live up to “Greatly exceeding your expectations!” :-)

+ kabirdsall14 on September 11th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

Will the Ratchet and Clank Series ever go back t its original state? What I mean is, I miss the 4 player team deathmatch from Up your Arsenal and Deadlocked! I am really excited that this is going to be 4 player locally! But, I would like to have a local splitscreen teamdeath match and capture the flag modes back.

Can’t wait for this game. It is on my MUST BUY LIST!

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

Right now, we’re just really focused on All 4 One. As far as what the future holds. Who knows?

+ TubaDude49 on September 11th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

With the creation of RBN, do you think we could ever see “(pin)Ballz” on Rock Band? Since you guys are such an awesome studio, I’d be willing to chart it myself for free if you wanted to.

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

Hah, I think we were really close at one point to making that happen on the actual store for charity.

Needless to say, if someone put it on PSN RBN, we’d love to help whoever.

e-mail me – jstevenson (at) insomniacgames (dot) com

+ ClassicSpyroFan on September 11th, 2010 at 10:05 pm said:

Thanks for responding to all of our comments, it means a lot to us. (its not like every comment we put up gets a reply) What your doing really makes me wonder what Naughty Dog is doing!! I hope there making Jak 4, that way it would be like old times on the PlayStation 2!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha… good times…

+ James Stevenson on September 11th, 2010 at 11:42 pm said:

You’re very welcome. Lots of fun to do it this way actually.

+ sgrtr on September 12th, 2010 at 2:15 am said:

can u tell us how the cutscenes will play out in a4o,i mean if we are playing with 2 people will only 2 characters appear in the cutscenes or what?

+ James Stevenson on September 12th, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

Nope, the cutscenes will be the same either way, since all four characters play into the story.

+ Glacier928 on September 12th, 2010 at 6:28 am said:

Looks awesome, just like every Ratchet & Clank game! I would love to see a Ratchet & Clank HD Collection with all the Ratchet games that were on PS2 put on the disc! In particular I would love to see Ratchet Deadlocked remade on PS3 with the online multiplayer, that was my first online game and still favorite online game!

+ James Stevenson on September 12th, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

Thanks for the kind words! As I’ve said elsewhere, we’d love for Sony to do a R&C collection, and we know our fans would too!

+ ladyofzion on September 12th, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

I would also really like and improved sequel to Ratchet Deadlocked/Gladiator with competitive online and offline(No co-op in main campaign though) please Insomniac.. and bring back co-op in the main campaign in resistance 3.. otherwise yall r doin a great job and by the way do u by any chance know why multiplatform online multiplayer games r not possible??(as in ps3 players playin with/against xbox 360 players online)…Thanx

+ James Stevenson on September 12th, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

Thanks for the feedback. I think the larger issue with cross platform gaming is at the publisher levels – not necessarily because of technical limitations.

That said, there’d be a lot of design hurtles to figure out too (ie, if someone has the same XBL name as someone else’s PSN name) + how do you message friends on other platforms (in-game only), etc.

+ Imputed7-14 on September 12th, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

Let me just say, as someone who is new to the Playstation fan base that I am impressed and loving the support of the Playstation developers. You all are amazing.

To the Full Moon crew inparticular, Ratchet and Clank is amazing. While playing Tools of Destruction my wife sat down to watch one day and would not let me continue alone. We are currently finishing up Quest for Booty and when we get to Crack in Time she wants me to let her play the Clank sections of the game. Needless to say, as a gaming husband this is great. When I showed her the trailer for All 4 One she was like “When does that come out?!” When Fall 2011 popped onto the screen there was an audible sigh. My wife has never been like that for a game. Thanks for making something great. I hope that you all continue to support the franchise after this, knowing about the third party switch. Either way thanks for making a great family game…it feels like a dying art form in todays gaming community.

P.S. Any hint at playable female characters? That is her one gripe about games today.

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:10 am said:

That’s so awesome. we’ve heard a bunch of stories like this and it really makes us think we’re heading in the right direction. :-)

No hints on other playable characters – we’re just focusing on Ratchet / Clank / Qwark / Neffy right now.

+ Imputed7-14 on September 12th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

Also, we are totally supporting the Sly HD Collection in hopes of a R&C collection down the road.

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:10 am said:

Sweet! I am too. Love the Sly cooper games.

+ TubaDude49 on September 12th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Thanks, you guys are awesome. I sent you the email about the RBN

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

I’m out today but I’ll get back to you this week and try to provide stuff.

+ PiperLuke on September 12th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

i hope it still keeps the old Ratchet and clank feel

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

We’ve got a huge team of Ratchet vets, a bunch of talented newcomers, and the same writer from the previous Future games – I think you’ll be happy.

+ SteveMcQwark on September 12th, 2010 at 12:56 pm said:

James Stevenson is awesome at interacting with the community. @James Stevenson: What do you do between announcements/reveals, aside from playing everything and teasing us about it?

@Imputed: That sounds great :) IG keeps stating their ongoing dedication to their Sony IP’s, despite extending to multiplatform. And since they have two studio’s (~300 + ~30 people, I think), they can, and need, to be working on multiple, diverse projects just to keep everyone interested and employed, so I don’t think there should be any fear of R&C going away completely any time soon ;).

It looks like it’ll just be the four male characters, though there might be skins. If you think about it, if one character was female, then there would almost always be a guy having to play as “the girl”. Women having to play a male character are less — though increasingly more — common, and a lot of girls/women will want to play as Clank (or Nefarious because he’s awesome, or Ratchet because he looks cuddly) anyway. IMO, adding in optional characters (eg. for the sake of having female ones) would have a detrimental impact on the story and the chemistry. We’ll see how it goes…

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

All sorts of stuff, playing games, working on plans for said announcement / reveals. Interacting with folks on our forums, going t meetings, playing the games and offering feedback, helping to create assets, podcasts, newsletters, blogs, working on stuff like the action figures and comics. Tons of fun.

+ PiperLuke on September 12th, 2010 at 12:56 pm said:

And gameplay elements

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Uh… yes!

+ Kathaar_ on September 12th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

Will there be online multiplayer though? like teamdeathmatch, conquest (personal fav from R&C:UYA) and stuff like that, alot of people dissed on ratchet: Deadlocked but i loved the online multiplayer (and the glitches were the craziest things ive ever seen) when the ratchet and clank future series started i was praying for multiplayer, but it didnt come from TOD and there was a weird online ranking system for ACIT, i just miss the multiplayer because R&C’s multiplayer is the most unique thing ive ever played, and its very balanced (except for rocket launchers, but hey, what’re ya gunna do?)

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Right now we’re really focused on the 4-player online co-op. :-)

+ DJ_XmX on September 13th, 2010 at 4:23 am said:

James , quick question 1)does Ratchet & Clank ALL4One share the same engine as R3? 2)Does it get updated further as closer to release or everything is set as final in tech wise??

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:18 am said:

Yes, they are both running on the Insomniac Engine. There will probably be a bit more work here and there, though what you see in this video is pretty representative of what the levels in the game should look like. Maybe not 100%, but up there.

+ copyciycat on September 13th, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

When will resistance 3 be released? 2011 or 2012?

+ DarkOne_PR on September 13th, 2010 at 8:55 am said:

I know this is a late comment and it will not receive a reply but here i go…..
PLS PLS PLSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I BEG OF U!!! R&CTOD AND RFOM TROPHIES PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know that u already said that u cannot go back to old titles but the reason is why??? Naughty Dog did it with uncharted1 and Resistance 1 already have the trophies integrated on the game u just have to put those trophies out for the XMB :D
Trophies its a way to get more sells and a reason to replay those games! PLUS i bet the active community of RFOM will be GLAD of this.
NOTE: i havent beat R&CTOD bc im waiting for trophy patch :)
I LOVE U INSOMNIAC!Cant WAIT for R3! Hope the graphics kick the ass of gears graphics this time :)

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

There are a myriad of reasons both business and technical that make this somewhere between extremely difficult/expensive to actually impossible.

Sorry, it’s even less likely than it was when the trophy spec first hit. But never fear, all future games will have trophies (of course)

+ SuperGlitchPro on September 13th, 2010 at 9:15 am said:

Will camera mode like Lock-strafe mode or First person ect. will be in this?

And will this game have skins? Like skins for Ratchet , Clank , Qwark & Nefarious that would be cool.

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

No, the camera will always be in director’s mode as that is what the game is designed for.

+ copyciycat on September 13th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Thanks for answering everyone’s questions.

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

You’re very welcome indeed!

+ WhiteBlood345 on September 13th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

The game looks great. All I need now is a release date and an address to send my check to preorder 8-)

BTW, if you are at a checkpoint and you join online, will you find players at your checkpoint who are using different characters (ratchet, clank, qwark, nefarious)? How does that work?

And how is the HUD going to work? Does everyone’s HP and etc. level up at the same time?

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

Fall 2011 – and I’m sure Amazon or Gamestop would happily accept a check from ya.

Well – you’d join a game with folks online and you’d pick a character they aren’t using, or they’d join your game and pick characters you aren’t using.

HUD is still work-in-progress and TBD.

+ SykoTech on September 13th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

So happy to see R&C continue. The franchise is easily one of the best of it’s kind. As a platformer diehard, these games never fail. I’ll be there Day 1 as always.

And I love the way you respond to all the comments James. You and rest of Insomniac keep on being awesome.

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 1:34 pm said:

Thanks for all of your support, really appreciate it!

+ Gitaroo on September 13th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

is ratchet now full 720p native unlike the previous games (sub HD+ AA reconstructed to 720P or something like that)? Would very disappointing cuz the last 2 maybe Ratchet games looks pretty blurry. Hoping to MLAA too for superior image quality.

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

We’re always tweaking and playing with resolution and such – we’ll be able to answer closer to release.

+ TubaDude49 on September 13th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 9:07 pm said:

The answer is 42.

+ MadMeat001 on September 13th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

the gameplay feel a very slow, and hope you aren’t thinking that there is always somebody online, and i prefer competitive mode rather than co-op (i am not talking about ”co-op vs” where you try to get the higher score) except for that, keep up the good work! hope it helped!

+ James Stevenson on September 13th, 2010 at 9:08 pm said:

You can totally play offline / alone if you want. Though you can start playing and leave your game open for someone online to drop into.

+ Yahyan on September 14th, 2010 at 1:48 am said:

i hope you can still buy weapons and armors like the previous games that is one of my favorite features in the ratchet and clank series.

+ James Stevenson on September 14th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

There will definitely still be an economy.

+ copyciycat on September 14th, 2010 at 7:05 am said:

Insomniac has made next year very exciting for gamers. Along with a new ratchet and clank a new resistance is something people like myself have wanted for what feels like a very long time. And now there both arriving on the same year! You guys at insomniac rule!

+ James Stevenson on September 14th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

Thanks! It’s going to be a great year for Insomniac fans in 2011!

+ copyciycat on September 14th, 2010 at 7:08 am said:

Oh and, will we be seeing a brand new R.Y.N.O?

+ James Stevenson on September 14th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

Ya never know!

+ RatchetClankP44 on September 14th, 2010 at 9:08 am said:

Hi Is Fall 2010 the Suspected time for America or England, or is for Both Just Wondering, planning on Getting Some Mates round after its released so we can have a right laugh watching other get themselves killed. Got Someone else into the Game earlier because they had never heard of the Game and now can’t wait to get on!

Graphics do look good and I’m looking forward to doing some walkthroughs of the New game

P.S Will there be any more R&C Games coming out After this that aren’t fully based on 4 Player Co-Op, would love to see a new series of Games Like R&C Future was :)

+ James Stevenson on September 14th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

Fall 2011 is for worldwide release.

PS – We’re really focused on All 4 One right now. Who knows what the future will hold.

+ Yahyan on September 14th, 2010 at 9:50 am said:

thanks! its really great that youre replying to all the comments. its definitely appreciated.

+ MadMeat001 on September 14th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

hey do you have anything to do with the firsts Spyro the Dragon? because it used to be one of the most beautiful game to me ever since i was a really young kid. (my first ps1 game)
will you ever try to give us the same feeling to a ratchet clank game (the kind of soundtrack, and where there is almost no character, with those nice place?)
no? oh well i will recreate the feeling to one of my work for myself.

+ blast818 on September 15th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

Is it for playstation move?
oh and nice work with the Future Series

+ KittieKitKat85 on September 15th, 2010 at 6:38 pm said:

I’m so excited for the release of resistance 3, and dying to see the fate of Nathan Hale. I do truly hope he will be kept the main character. I’m not sure if the resistance series would be the same without the very familiar Nathan Hale as the hero. Will Insomniac release any further information on the games plot rather that a teaser trailer by the end of the year? more importantly, will Insomniac release information on who will be the hero of the game?

+ ClassicSpyroFan on September 17th, 2010 at 3:33 pm said:

I have an idea for one of the weapons!! How about you bring back the Rift Inducer (from UYA) so that if all fore players fire a black at once and there will be a HUGE black hole, or you could have every one player fire it apart from other black holes and cover more ground!! This would be perfict because if you use it by your self its powerful, and if you use it with your freinds its even MORE powerful!! Jest an idea ;-)

+ Hubbe373 on September 30th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

I see that you get points when you kill monsters, but what will you do with the point. Will you type lvl and get weapons to play with online? :)