Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Sep 14

Sep 14

Sports Champions Week: Archery

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

PlayStation Move is just days away from hitting store shelves, and for those of you picking it up, Sports Champions is your likely first destination. So what do you get with this game? And how does Sports Champions show off the power and precision of PlayStation Move?

For the rest of this week, we’ll be highlighting some of the half-dozen events featured in the game. Today, we get our Legolas on with Archery.

Any questions about archery? We’ll do our best to answer them here.

Tomorrow: Gladiator Duel

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

TrueFFVIIFan said:

September 14th, 11:05 am

Which is much more fun to use: Two MOVE Controllers or JUST ONE MOVE Controller? Please be honest with us, thanx!

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 14th, 11:28 am

Personally, I enjoy using the two controllers with Archery, as the feel of grabbing the arrow with one hand and aiming with the other is pretty immersive. But, as stated, it’s not necessary!

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 12:32 pm

Most, but not all, prefer to use two motion controllers whenever that is an option as it feels more life like. I have run into more than one person that preferred one controller, but both were designed to be fun. We hope you agree.

MickHooligan said:

September 14th, 11:07 am

I have zero doubt that, while perfectly playable with one, two is gonna be the more rewarding experience.

Nintendo451 said:

September 14th, 11:07 am

I’ve played it with both, and the Two Move setup really is the most fun. You just have to make sure that your system is calibrated correctly. I had two completely different experiences, one good and one bad.

Dragonzblaze said:

September 14th, 11:09 am

cant wait to get my 320 gig ps3 ps move bundle in 3 days

John_Oval said:

September 14th, 11:09 am

Looks like fun, I cant wait for the bundle!

MickHooligan said:

September 14th, 11:12 am

@Nintendo451

Are you referring to having the move controllers calibrated, or the Eye at the correct (optimal) distance. In addition, how difficult is it to calibrate said components?

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 14th, 11:30 am

You calibrate before you start the event. This is done by clicking the Move button 3 times – once with the controller by your head, once at your side, once by your belt (or where your belt would be if you were wearing one). After you’ve done it a few times, you fly through it in like 2.5 seconds :)

Trioptical said:

September 14th, 11:13 am

Man, multiplayer archery looks like an expensive setup. Hopefully many, many more games will support four Move’s to justify that kind of investment.

Cobra1 said:

September 14th, 11:13 am

Are the multi-player modes online as well or only split-screen?

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 14th, 11:30 am

Local co-op only.

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 12:30 pm

Local multiplayer for each event only.

Competitive multiplayer for all six events. Cooperative for Beach Volleyball and Bocce.

tony_motta said:

September 14th, 11:15 am

@ Jeff or Ray

1. The different archery modes, are those it or will there be other modes to play in archer? THey rocked but more would be awesome.

2. Is horizontal the only wat to go with split-screen? Or do you find it to be the best option?

3. If you only have one controller do you just point and shoot instead of pulling the arrow from your back, or is that movement also necessary?

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 1:58 pm

1. There are a few other modes for archery then the ones shown.

2. For the events that use split-screen it is always a vertical split. Turn based events like Disc Golf and Bocce are always full-screen.

3. One controller Archery. Reach back for an arrow, aim and shoot. The farther you hold down the T button the stronger the shot.

Solid-Snake-Eyes said:

September 14th, 11:20 am

I want to know if you can customize your character in Sports Champions, and in what way.

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 14th, 11:31 am

There are 10 characters to chose from initially, and each has a number of unlockable outfits.

RedGiant17 said:

September 14th, 11:21 am

I would like to see this played with a single controller. I know two makes it more immersive, but do I need to drop another $50?

MickHooligan said:

September 14th, 11:23 am

@10

From reviews that I read, the character customization is pretty limited, though I do believe you can unlock new clothes for them. But, best i can tell, it is stock characters.

I may be wrong though.

emiru69 said:

September 14th, 11:27 am

I think it’s just too expensive, to have the full experience I need:
GAME + CONTROLLER + CAMERA = $ 100
EXTRA CONTROLLER = $ 50
If I want to use it on hardcore games like Heavy Rain, Mag or the next Socom, I need to expend another 30 bucks…
Total $ 180 = too much money

lightyear8 said:

September 14th, 11:31 am

Any way we can see a demo of it with one Move Controller? Send that much money on the idea setup just isn’t feasible for a lot of us.

Either way, thanks for sharing the video.

lightyear8 said:

September 14th, 11:32 am

*spending that much money on the ideal setup just isn’t feasible for a lot of us.

GT-420 said:

September 14th, 11:35 am

I’m only picking up the one controller — I see that being most people’s case. So here’s another vote for seeing how this plays in that mode.

Thrasher20 said:

September 14th, 11:36 am

Can’t wait! Looks like so much fun

ATLRoAcH said:

September 14th, 11:41 am

Does Sports Champions have online multi-player?

tigerfodder said:

September 14th, 11:45 am

I know you can play with only one controller, so I’m assuming you and a friend can play together with one controller each.

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 12:27 pm

That is correct. For the Archery event you can each play with one or two controllers.

Ex.
    Player 1 = 1 motion controller
    Player 2 = 1 motion controller

Ex 2.
    Player 1 = 2 motion controllers
    Player 2 = 1 motion controller

PushinNshovinMe said:

September 14th, 11:49 am

@emiru
its cheaper and better than a Wii, or you could just wait until it is standard on PS4.

For me the Move is like getting another console, and I don’t think the Wii has ever been worth its price tag.

plaztiksyke said:

September 14th, 11:50 am

does the game render in 1080p native? does it use MSAA?

are there any plans for DLC characters like in PAIN or High-Velocity Bowling?

can it import our avatars from Home?

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 2:14 pm

1080p is upscaled. MSAA = yes

DLC plans have not been announced yet, but I think that is a good idea. ;)

I’m not sure if it is possible to import avatars from Home into another game that’s out of my area, but I know Sports Champions doesn’t.

pmadrid said:

September 14th, 11:55 am

I want to see single controller gameplay!

FredNation said:

September 14th, 11:56 am

Just triple checking. Will this be on the PSN Store today, 17-19, or 21st?

And I mean the demo.

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 12:40 pm

I am told it will be available on the 21st.

Sindred said:

September 14th, 11:59 am

This is really selling this stuff on me. I love the kneeling bit. Next show us the Sword fighting.

Obviously it’s all about implementation.

I would love to see Move used in Augumented Reality with 3D. (ie you lean forward and the 3D virtual environment changes with your perspective). That would be insane.

emiru69 said:

September 14th, 12:05 pm

@PushinNshovinMe:
Actually is not, you can find a Wii for 150 on some places.
To have the full experience of the PS Move you need the console + Move periferals bundle = 399 bucks.
I’m not saying they are the same but 400 bucks isn’t less than 150.

Trixzter7 said:

September 14th, 12:05 pm

Does Sports Champions have trophies?

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 12:28 pm

Kchow23 said:

September 14th, 12:08 pm

how does archery work with a single controller

emiru69 said:

September 14th, 12:11 pm

@Trixzter7:
yes, 43 trophies. Here you have the list if you want to check it:

nd1312 said:

September 14th, 12:12 pm

Yeah i got my Move today!!

Unfortunately Archery is not in the Sports Champions demo (only Frisbee and Table Tennis) and the store didn’t have the full game yet. :(

But it’s awesome!

chucopone952 said:

September 14th, 12:24 pm

Awesome

emiru69 said:

September 14th, 12:25 pm

@Trixzter7:
yes, 43 trophies.

pickupdoctor said:

September 14th, 12:26 pm

I can’t wait this looks like so much fun, I want to get Sports Champions. Also Heavy Rain Move add on is coming on 22nd, I will probably get Resident Evil Gold Edition also so my fiancée and I can play together.

scorpio182 said:

September 14th, 12:30 pm

Thanks for the video I’m looking forward to playing archering more now dodn’t know of the variety it had even the multiplayer mode.

2 more days!!!!

xaos said:

September 14th, 12:50 pm

I’ll have to swing back by the PS HQ; I tried the archery game yesterday, but the machine it was running on only had one controller connected. I’d like to compare the feel with two.

Blkant said:

September 14th, 12:50 pm

Does archery have online? For that matter, do any of the sports champion games have online or is it only SP with one or two people on the same console?

ElektroDragon said:

September 14th, 1:10 pm

I tried Archery with TWO at PAX and it was AWESOME…. so was Gladiator with two. I sort of wish Sony had included two controllers standard.

niked said:

September 14th, 1:21 pm

I love my MOVE controllers and I recommend people to have two controllers each. Just fantastic tech!

Black_Ryuk said:

September 14th, 1:33 pm

It seems really awesome with 2 controllers but I was wondering how will it play if a person has only one at the time of launch? Kinda looks like you might lose a lot of the experience if you only have 1 controller

Chuckbait said:

September 14th, 2:05 pm

too bad after I buy the move on friday, there won’t be any games or demos to play until tuesday. (since I’m buying a Move controller and not the sports game).

But thank you for confirming the demo will release on the 21st.

Jeff Rubenstein said:

September 14th, 2:20 pm

Some of the games (Start the Party and Kung Fu Rider, for example) contain the other 10 demos right on the disc.

zekececil14 said:

September 14th, 2:12 pm

In other demos that use 2 Moves, can you also demo with just one? I personaly won’t be using 2.

bravo9zero said:

September 14th, 2:13 pm

So will there be ANY demo’s for Move this week on the store?!

kacolukia said:

September 14th, 2:15 pm

Time for me to upgrade! What exactly comes with the 320G PS3?

kacolukia said:

September 14th, 2:18 pm

320G PS3 bundle* to be precise.

spectyre said:

September 14th, 2:18 pm

Can’t wait. Got the money in my pocket and Friday as a vacation day.

Just saw a video from iWaggle. I thought I saw all there is to see about Sports Champions. I didn’t know that you could use the Move controller for a camera in disc golf. Any other surprises?

NorthernLitez said:

September 14th, 2:24 pm

Looks great! I’m glad I have it on pre-order

thx for the preview

backbreaker65 said:

September 14th, 2:28 pm

Hey Jeremy Ray

I would like to know, can the pointer be turned off in the Archery game for increase difficulty? I just see the pointer making the game replay value decrease when the pointer is point and shoot. If not please consider patching it, also do you support XMB music?

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 2:43 pm

Cursor is always there, but the blue trajectory line gets removed after the initial bronze difficulty mode. Generally speaking as you progress there is less user assistance and of course the AI gets faster and more accurate.

We support custom soundtracks while you play so you can rock/rap/electronic/whatever out as you’d like.

backbreaker65 said:

September 14th, 2:48 pm

Thanks for the response Jeremy Ray, what about weather? do we have wind in the higher difficulties? and if so is in random i.e. swirling, left, to right high winds ect….

I Pre order the Sports bundle Today with an extra Move. Love it.

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 4:52 pm

No weather gameplay change in Archery, but maybe in a different event. :)

favian said:

September 14th, 2:56 pm

Bummed that i submit new ideas ideas to PS share everyday and none of them go through. They are solid ideas, I’m wondering if i got banned? Are you muzzling PS fans who are contributing feedback,constructive criticisms, and feature suggestions? Feel like i don’t have a voice in the community anymore.

JABEE said:

September 14th, 2:57 pm

How exactly does the one move control method work?

Why is there not a bundle with Sports Champion with a Move Controller or Sports Champion with two move or a Move controller and a nvaigation controller? There are many Playstation EYE owners out there who don’t need the eye. 90 dollars for the Move Controller and Sports Chamion is steep. It is not even the full Move experiece without two Move Wands.

MickHooligan said:

September 14th, 3:10 pm

Hey Jeremy,

In the demo, how far away are you standing from the camera, and how high off the ground is the camera/tv. I am trying to figure how my set-up is going to work once I get my bundle this Friday. I hope I have enough room!

Jeremy Ray said:

September 14th, 5:38 pm

For SC we recommend for optimal performance about 6 – 8ft from the camera, but it is pretty tolerant as long as you don’t get too far out of this range you shouldn’t need to sweat it. I was probably about 7-8 ft away during the video.

PAGE 1 2