PS4-The Order

DmC: Devil May Cry for PS3 Revealed in New Trailer

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Sep 15, 2010 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Sweet, sweet Tokyo: the succulent ramen, the unparalleled electronics district, the red-hot video game rebirths.

Devil May Cry: The New Dante

If you’ve been following our Twitter, you know about Capcom’s biggest Tokyo Game Show announcement. Devil May Cry has been reborn as DmC in a soup-to-nuts re-imagining of the classic PS2 and PS3 action series. The results are undeniably striking, and are bound to trigger debate and discussion among series diehards for months to come. Judge for yourself — take a look at the debut video for DmC below.

In an international twist, British-based Heavenly Sword developer Ninja Theory is co-developing DmC with Capcom’s Japanese and US studios. The game is still shrouded in mystery, with few details relating to the setting (a strange urban environment with City 17 overtones a la Half Life 2), the combat mechanics (Dante’s sword appears to change shape at whim), the demonic enemies (marionette-like creatures not unlike those from the first game), or a release date.

Devil May Cry: DMC GameplayDevil May Cry: DMC Gameplay

That said, DmC brought a rousing round of applause from the crowd when it was unveiled at Capcom’s Tokyo Game Show event alongside Capcom’s other major announcement: Asura’s Wrath for PS3. What do you think?

+ Cat_Corye on September 15th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

X_X well DMC is now dead.

Sorry but not matter how good this game looks or plays, it isn’t going to replace the first Devil May Cry or white hair Dante.

+ Shinra_Soilder on September 15th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

A reboot? Really? I’m not sure how to react to this.
The only reason I can see for them doing a reboot is because of the story for DMC. I guess that the original Dante didn’t have enough character development over the years and was too powerful to further advance the story to make a decent game. But do I really need a full engaging story for a game like DMC?! Not really.
Sure, I know that I’ll have to see more to make a better assessment of this game but I just don’t like the new way Dante looks. He looks sickly and it looks like they downgraded Rebellion to a portable weapon that changes on the fly. Change is a good thing but I still don’t know what to make of this…

+ FireElemental on September 15th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

He smokes?! *sad* This should just a new IP or a series spin off. He doesn’t seem to have any of the original Dante in him. Not that you can tell all that much from the trailer.

+ Gogo_ZvC on September 15th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

It’s the developer’s story. They can make it however they want. Who the hell are all the whiners to know how Dante’s past was before DMC3, and how he looked like? The developers know best and don’t owe you guys anything.

Trailer looks intense and amazing either way. If it’s a reboot then it’s a pretty damn good one to start. They should still follow up with DMC5 though after this prequel(?)(I WANT MAWR INFO PLOX!)

Anyways people, the Capcom-Unity Blog will have more details about the game later tonight, so check it out there.

+ Jeigh on September 15th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Well, if you bear in mind that the series started more as an action-horror title, this actually works pretty well. Looks like their doing something different too. Breaking away from the God of War-style gameplay. New is good, and if you’re going to reboot, go big or go home. So far, so good. ‘Course this is just a trailer. I’ll need to see some actual gameplay footage before I go any further with it.

Never played DMC4- the 20 minute install and repetitive story/boss routine were big deterrents, but I may still get my hands on it yet.

+ Zezzler on September 15th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

Cannot WAIT to see more of Ninja Theory`s re-imagining of Devil May Cry. loved the original series, and this just looks FRIGGIN’ awesome.

+ Jeigh on September 15th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

‘Course, it helps that the makers of the Epic Heavenly Sword are involved. Played it again yesterday and enjoyed it all over again.

+ FireDragonGod on September 15th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

It’d B Nice If Vergil Returned…

+ Link01 on September 15th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

ook, this is a rant Ninja Theory. Now, I personally loved Heavenly Sword and am GREATLY looking forward to the release of Enslaved. To be honest though, you guys need to realize that you’re disrespecting the ENTIRE fan base of Devil May Cry. Not a portion, but THE ENTIRE fan base. I beg of you to play threw the previous games. If you have, then you should realize that the entire persona of Dante and the game it self contradicts the look AND vibe the you’re currently giving off with this new game. I know you guys are respectful developers * even though you didn’t add trophies to Heavenly Sword when HIGHLY requested, nor did you make a sequel ….. * If you want to respect Capcom’s fan base, you’ll be respectful like Sucker Punch and OVERHAUL the character to his ORIGINAL glory. Other wise, you’ll lose respect for your company, some of your fan base AND some of Capcom’s fan base. No lover of Devil May Cry likes Twilight, where did you guys even draw this conclusion? O.O

+ Cat_Corye on September 15th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

@Gogo_ZvC

You mean its the new developers story, the ones that started Devil May Cry aren’t working with Capcom anymore.

+ Hooligantuan on September 15th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

If he stops saying corny one-liners and the gameplay isn’t thumb-cramping button-mashing, I might come back.

+ Frazz on September 15th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

It may be the developers IP but the majority of people complaining are people that are heavily invested (4 games)in the story and characters of DMC.
The idea of a reboot is awesome but the redesign of Dante is god awful.

+ vipergtx7 on September 15th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

Ugh, man I’ve been waiting for a new DMC game with Dante, and now there is this new kid name Dante, WTF?! Come on Capcom, what is the meaning of this different looking Dante?!… this seems like an Epic fail to me… damn you. hahaha jk. but seriously, make Dante look similar to the original.

+ Tomasse100 on September 15th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

This is a big change for Dante…!!!
Ninja Theory shouldn;t have taken the production of this game…so, last thing to say is, White hair or fail.

+ kithrin on September 15th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

wheres the humor? Dante in DMC always had a sense of humor to go with, and balance, the badass style, bur from what i can see here… you took that away.

+ Wongster4321 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:00 pm said:

Can anyone explain what the hell is an emo?

+ BigBoss712 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:03 pm said:

This is disappointing.

+ Kchow23 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:09 pm said:

Eh… what have they done with DMC? please make a DMC Collection at least that wont disappoint

+ Justp94 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:11 pm said:

It looks amazing!!! Why isn’t this thread 5 out of 5! Cmon! Looks great! DMC 4 just gets crapped on by this!

+ Kchow23 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

This so called “Dante” better be some psychotic guy that believes hes Dante but really isn’t then the real Dante shows up 10 minutes into the game

+ Neil on September 15th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

Can you please post a story with screenshots and the trailer of Asura’s Wrath. I’ve already seen the trailer and it blew my mind. I think you should share it.

+ Sylvrfonic on September 15th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

This trailer looks awesome. But, it doesn’t tell us a lot about the game. I loved Heavenly Sword and I like what I see of Enslaved. I believe they can deliver an interesting take on DMC that doesn’t detract, remove or invalidate previous iterations.

+ MadMeat001 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

Ninja Theory will ruin the whole serie!
maybe it look nice but just knowing that it’s being unrespectfully dante’s new way is really a shame.
Capcom and Ninja Theory are both dumb!

+ Thrasher20 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:33 pm said:

Why so serious?

+ Omni937 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:34 pm said:

The combat style and graphics look great, but the character design of Dante I don’t know about.
He does look like an Emo Punk Michael Jackson thriller Zombie Reject.
I am interested in what storyline is or if this is a reboot.

+ beggar89 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

I like the idea behind the game, and it looks good…except Dante. Way too emo.

+ MattyR09 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

Looks really good, i don’t know one thing about devil may cry though, i might get devil may cry 4 if it’ll help.

+ Smashspider3 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:42 pm said:

Ok So Either this a younger Dante, or is one of those Japaneses version looking Dante’s. It looks good, Glad there is no one in there like Nero. How ever this Dante is different his weapon is different if it is the same Dante at all, his fighting seems a bit sluggish and not as neat and proper as older Dante which is what I liked because it looked like he do so much more, and when I see DMC I think “Dante” “High flying Ass kicking Sword slashing Gun slinger Dante” and not some new guy, and how they should not make DMC main character about any else like they did in DMC4.

+ Fish-Sandwich13 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

WHERE’S DANTEEE????? why couldn’t they just make the character look the same, and keep all the other changes? Other than that, it looks sick, but I wouldn’t feel like I’m playing DmC

+ ViciousAly on September 15th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

Doomed…The whole DMC series is now doomed….

When CapCom meant a western touch in the new DMC…I didn’t think they meant an emo girl who looks like have been beaten by 100 dudes :/

Disappointed…extremely disappointed….

+ Ozbezariuz on September 15th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

Only on Playstation?

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 15th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

DO NOT WANT.

+ KidCommando on September 15th, 2010 at 1:51 pm said:

Devil May Cry reborn into THIS?

+ ReyMo610 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:52 pm said:

I like it. I’m willing to give it a shot. One thing I can say about Capcom is that they may take franchises waayy off base from the originals, but it’s always fun. Like with Resident Evil. 5 is not even in the same genre as the first but I can’t put it down. As long as it holds the same style and fun as the other DMC games then I’m on board.

+ QCVic on September 15th, 2010 at 1:52 pm said:

Looking at 1:16-1:22 it looks like “Dante” is going through issue that can bring up some very interesting theories. For that reason I choose not to bring judgement on the character…yet. Other than that, I am interested in what NT/Capcom will do to the “rebirth” of the series.

+ Luben88 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

I’m disappointed, with this new direction. That thing to me is not Dante.

+ ULRA-1- on September 15th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

WHAT THE FLYING FU%K IS THIS $HIT?

+ Leonhart1342 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

I don’t know what to think about this… I might like it if it were not a DMC title, but that just isn’t the Dante I know and enjoy.

Also, did anyone else think the voice “interviewing” new Dante kinda sounded like the ACTUAL Dante? I wouldn’t be surprised if the twist in the end is the real Dante is actually training or testing this new dante…

+ MisterFortySeven on September 15th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

What in gods name did they do to Dante????? It looks like he used his own sword on his wrist too much and his sword looks like the whip in prototype :s btw his hair is so ugly that words don’t even describe how ugly it is, this is absolutely the most horrible character to play with. Where’s the pizza, cocky remarks, being stabbed through the chest???

Well I suppose they want us gamers to save our money for a better game. Their loss because Dante was one awesome cool dude who’s about to lose all his style :o.

Really developers your went from an SSS to a D.

+ JVASON on September 15th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

This is kinda different but still cool , i like it!

+ magneyoku on September 15th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

That makes no sense at all.
Why is Danta’s hair black?
Why does Dante look like Nathan Drake? (this is the same thing that happened with infamous 2 and I think they changes it.)
Unless–now I have no real clue as to what the game is about so will wait until more info comes for absolute answers, but–this reveals Dante’s past BEFORE DMC 3, I remain really really confused.

+ konnor83 on September 15th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

This is an EPIC FAIL. I loved the first and third games but this looks god awful.
He looks like a stupid Emo kid who stays in the dark cutting his arms up.
That is NOT Dante. I will not touch this with a pole.

+ kasota on September 15th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

Cool. Glad he doesn’t look like some anime nerd fantasy anymore. I’m looking forward to this.

+ magneyoku on September 15th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

A punked up Nate Drake that is.

+ Nepraos on September 15th, 2010 at 2:09 pm said:

Looks pretty badass. I’m pretty sure I’ll be picking this one up.

Screw everyone’s stereotypes of emo’s. They obviously don’t know what they’re talking about. They see a dark person with black hair and automatically assume he’s emo. Just because the guy before you is bashing on emo’s, do you really need to do so as well? You’re idiots. Even if this “Dante” was emo, he can still kick your a**, lol.

For those who are crying “This isn’t Dante!” Well…No s***, Sherlock! I think this game will relate to the original character somehow…seing that this “Dante” is in a psychiatric facility (or at least is being examined…if we wanna call it that).

I also like this character’s fighting style. Seems wilder than the original, less of a show-off/showboat, and much more laid back (judging from that gargoyle scene). Certainly not the Dante we know, but I’m curious to find out the whole story. Forget you, naysayers.

+ angelspawn77 on September 15th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

HORRIBLE LOOK! I dont think the series needed a reboot at all, Dante looks like a junkie and im not digging that at all. I like the DMC series, but so far im not liking where this is headed. I seriously hope they change his look closer to the Dante we all know and love.

+ Martyroshika on September 15th, 2010 at 2:19 pm said:

It seems to me that Capcom just didn’t get the ball rolling right on this so far. Although details on this new meth addict kid aren’t all there, so he could be some head case that thinks he’s Dante or something like that. Lots of possible explanations, but the main turnoff for this new installment is one thing. Dirt.

The main character looks like he hasn’t had a bath. Ever. Combine that with the smoking, and you get an entirely unappealing main character. Although it is terrible to outsource any good game series to Ninja Theory, since they tend to suck it up a lot.

Personally, I would have given a new DMC to Team Ninja before Ninja Theory.

+ DarkDemon22 on September 15th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

how can this be Dante? He has white hair and would never look so beat up

+ mcbuttz78 on September 15th, 2010 at 2:23 pm said:

is that dante son? if i remember correct he did have a son who was in the future..That would dope if it was, my brother loved dmc 1. i did too. It was actaully a 1 more reason to buy a ps3 console.. Hope this is exclusive//

+ Ouren on September 15th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

I love it.
As someone who could never get into Devil may Cry, Ninja Theory seems to be doing it right.

There does seem to be a large amount of fans whining, but I think this is what needs to happen for Devil May Cry to be relevant again.

If Andy Serkis is also somehow involved… its first day for me.