PS4-Infamous

Sports Champions Week: Gladiator Duel

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 15, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Sports Champions Week continues here on the Blog with the hack ‘n’ slash action of Gladiator Duel. In the Move demonstrations we’ve given at trade shows and Move meetups, Gladiator Duel has been the event that people have gravitated to immediately. And it’s easy to see why – bashing your friends in a head to head battle with one-to-one tracking is pretty awesome. Producer Jeremy Ray walks us through the features:

More than any other Sports Champions event, Gladiator Duel is the one that’s going to get that heart rate up and a bit of a sweat going. Tomorrow we’ll continue Sports Champions week with the comparatively mellow Disc Golf (a personal fave of mine).

+ Jeigh on September 15th, 2010 at 12:06 pm said:

Video’s kind of choppy… At least seems that way on my end.

The four controller configuration’s really not going to happen for a lot of people. Hell, two is kind of a stretch for some of us. ‘Course I’m not saying anything you guys haven’t heard already.

Mode looks as cool as ever, though it doesn’t seem to have a whole lot to it.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 15th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

Please feel free to utilize the HD mode on the player. Make no mistake, that’s the internet, not the game itself.

+ AngelofDeathLoki on September 15th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

I am so excited for this, hopefully I can get together enough cash before friday!

+ tetsou9shima on September 15th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

Looks fun. I think I’m going to need to buy at least 4 controllers. I’m not sold on the nav controller yet however.

+ marlyt on September 15th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

Red to go. Just release it already!! I’ve already got 3 games waiting for a move controller to make them work. Jeff, make it happen today if you’re not too busy.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 15th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

I’ll take a chopper onto the container ship and start rowing.

+ TCBFox on September 15th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

This game looks cool, digging those combos, now I need to get 2 Move controllers. I like how you can see the the back of the PS Eye in the shot.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 15th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

That Rey – he’s got an eye for things.

An Eye, get it? Ugh, sorry.

+ Edd on September 15th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Awesome! really looking forward to picking up my move bundle on friday!, I’m only gonna have two remotes to start, but I’m most certainly going to be picking up two more in the future.

+ FredNation on September 15th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Look fun. I can’t wait to get my Move on the 17th! Besides this game what other Move games do you like? Or Move “supported” games?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 15th, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

This is definitely my favorite game so far, but I’ve also been playing a lot of Start the Party with the wife, and will be downloading Tumble today.

I also like the Move integration with Tiger Woods. I’ve always been more of a Hot Shots type of guy, but Tiger + Move = a game I’m enjoying.

+ Kemzow on September 15th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

I personally can not wait untill I get my Move, and Sports Champion on friday.

Just a quick question, what event do you think is the most physical in all the events of Sports Champion? And what is the least physical event?

+ Nazfera2 on September 15th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

Gladiator Duel is actually the reason im getting sports champions.
i cant wait. they should make a soulcalibur game with the move. :P

Also question do you need 2 motion control controllers for the 2 handed or could u use navigation controller as the second controller… im still un-oriented with what you need to play with the whole playstation move.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on September 15th, 2010 at 1:24 pm said:

SC only uses Move motion controllers. All events are playable with 1 and some like Gladiator Duel have an optional 2 controller setting.

+ marlyt on September 15th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

Ring Out!!! Awesome.

+ marlyt on September 15th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

Yo, #10

U need two motion controllers. The nav controller is just like the left side of a sixaxis, hence it does not track.

+ marlyt on September 15th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Sorry, only need 2 to independently control sword and shield. You can control both with one using a toggle button.

+ BrianMcGuinness on September 15th, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

This question is for the people who actually post the entries on the blog and game developers, etc…Are you baffled by how incredibly stupid 99% of the people who read this blog are?
How many times can people ask when something is coming out and how many controllers you need?
You don’t have to answer. Everyone’s dumb.
Have a great day!

+ scorpio182 on September 15th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Two more days…. Looking sooo forward to the PS Move!!!!!

+ marlyt on September 15th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Dear Brian McGuiness,

What is Move? Do I need an XBOX to use it or a DS?

+ SmooshyKing on September 15th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

The dude in the multiplayer portion of the video sure looks like he’s having fun.

I hope you put him back in his cell after the filming was complete.

+ BalramRules on September 15th, 2010 at 12:59 pm said:

nicee and EPIC!

+ lightyear8 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:05 pm said:

Man, these videos are actually putting me off from getting Move. It’s seeming more and more like you really need two of the controllers take full advantage of these games.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 15th, 2010 at 1:34 pm said:

You’ll see in the next two events that it’s not the case.

While these events are more “immersive” with the dual configuration, two controllers are not required, and it doesn’t gimp the gameplay.

+ TheGuardianFID on September 15th, 2010 at 1:21 pm said:

I just got back from pre-ordering the Sports Champions bundle, an extra Move, and a Nav controller, I can’t wait!!! 8)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 15th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

^_^ See you on the leaderboards (JeffPS)

+ Jeigh on September 15th, 2010 at 1:34 pm said:

ATTENTION: ADMINS

There was an interview with Adam Sessler on X-Play with Kevin Butler- absolutely hilarious by the way- that you absolutely have to post on the blog at the very least. Consider releasing it on the PS Store later.

By the way, I caught a spot for the Move on ABC Family with some kids I assume were from a show. Nice publicity.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 15th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

We tweeted out that it’s happening, but I haven’t seen it yet. We’ll be sure to link out. Thanks!

+ BrianMcGuinness on September 15th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

@16 marlyt – exactly.

+ XxKillerxX869 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

I want the Move alot =) I want to Play Sports champs,Heavy Rain and Heroes on The M0ve

Any trophies for Sport Champions?That would be a cool difference for people who played Wii Sports (I only buy Sony consoles so it doesnt affect me much :P )

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on September 15th, 2010 at 2:04 pm said:

Trophies for SC = yes. :)

+ Le_Fantom9 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

hopefully I will get this for my b-day, which is saturday LOL
Can’t wait to try out Heavy Rain and Mag with the move.
Good job guys it looks awesome!

+ Jeigh on September 15th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

In the first comment, I actually *was* referring to the video. I’ve seen plenty of video where it was smooth, so I’m not concerned about framerates.

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 15th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

I apologize in advance for this…

IT’S TIME TO D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL!

+ RedGiant17 on September 15th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

Kevin Butler on X-Play

+ Jeigh on September 15th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

err… “referring to the Internet” I suppose, for clarification’s sake.

+ Voodoo_Lou on September 15th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

Dusted off my Eye. Picked up Start the Party, EyePet, RE5 Gold, and Sports Champs. Downloaded Tumble. Now if only I had the controllers….

The wait is killing me.

+ ElektroDragon on September 15th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

And this is why I bought FOUR Move controllers for the wife and I to play Gladiator and Archery together. Sure, it’s expensive, but its the best possible experience as judged from PAX.

Also bought two gun attachements, two chargers, one Nav controller, and pre-ordered The Shoot.

After trying Move and PAX, I am sold on this technology and its potential, and I can’t wait for what’s coming, especially Dead Space Extraction. :)

+ mcbuttz78 on September 15th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

will there be up grade- able weapons.. dodge roll.. character customized looks, or ps eye face capture into game.. if not that might be a few thing you guys can do as dlc//

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on September 15th, 2010 at 5:17 pm said:

unlockable weapons and characters = yes. Dodge roll = yes. PS eye face capture not for SC, but I like this idea. :)

+ nc20fan on September 15th, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

I just called my local gamestop and they said they weren’t sure when they were allowed to release it yet!! Originally they told me midnight, but now ???? Want my sportschampion bundle to play disc golf now!! :) can’t wait

+ ballagh on September 15th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

traded one of my launch day 60 gigs in for the Move 320 gig bundle. helluva deal on that. also got 3 more move controllers and 2 navs + all the games. Cant wait for the midnight launch tommorrow night. Looking foward to RE5 GE and SC WOOT!!!! Bring on KZ3 and Socom…….

KB for President

+ pickupdoctor on September 15th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

I got my 2 Move controllers and navigation controller yesterday after watching Archery video from Sports Champions, this is going to be so awesome. Also using it with Heavy Rain will be great.

Are there going to be more videos and presentations for other games?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on September 15th, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

They captured some Disc Golf footage when they visited the studio which I think will be coming next.

+ valley428 on September 15th, 2010 at 4:40 pm said:

woah. when the 2 controllers colors combined, it was a perfect red. watch closely at 1:50

+ DVD_Sandwich on September 15th, 2010 at 5:25 pm said:

Will Sports Champions have any online play? Or is it only local multiplayer?

+ ForgiveMyAim on September 15th, 2010 at 7:14 pm said:

I heard there is no stabbing in Gladiator Duel, is this true?

+ TakiFuGu on September 15th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

Do you guys think it was a good idea releasing PS Move the same week as Halo Reach?

+ judalation on September 15th, 2010 at 8:30 pm said:

This game is clearly the cream of the crop… a day one purchace and only online multiplayer can improve it!

however I am also stoked about Kung Fu Live…I hope sony Buys Air Guitar company before Microsoft does so that sports champions 2 can use their technology….

+ inito324 on September 15th, 2010 at 10:10 pm said:

To #14
I agree 100%
The other part that’s stupid, is how people think that they have to buy everything all at once, instead of buying a part today, and a part next month, etc…

+ BrianMcGuinness on September 16th, 2010 at 6:27 am said:

Yeah that’s pretty much the dumbest part too. People think they’re forced to buy every single thing the first day it comes out. Relax. Or get a better job so you don’t have to complain about it.

+ black26ss on September 16th, 2010 at 9:18 am said:

is any of the move games online?

+ scruffyexaminer on September 20th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

I’ve been playing GD with two controllers, and I love it. I just can’t wait for a developer (Bethseda?) to come up with an immersive fantasy RPG designed from the ground up for the move… please please please…