Ratchet & Clank PS4

Sep 16

Sports Champions Week: Disc Golf

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 16, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

I’ve played disc golf once before, and the course wasn’t anywhere near as nice as the one in Sports Champions.

After the rapid, manic action found in Gladiator Duel, an event like Disc Golf is a fun, relaxing way to wind down. That calmer place doesn’t mean that it doesn’t take full advantage of the PlayStation Move technology, however. Producer Jeremy Ray shows us why Sports Champions presents the best “frolfing” experience you’ve ever seen in a video game.

I particularly like how you’re not going through pre-determined motions – if you want to underhand toss your disc into the goal, you’re free to do it (and it’s a pretty good technique from 20 feet and under).

We wrap up Sports Champions week tomorrow with Table Tennis.

PAGE 1 2

+ red_beaver on October 7th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

Does a forehand throw fade off to the opposite direction as a backhand throw? In the video, the guy demoing the game throws a forehand and a backhand and they both seem to break in the same direction, which is really unrealistic for anyone who has played disc golf.

This is a big selling point for me, as all of the wii disc golf games have gotten this wrong, and it really takes a lot of the strategy out of the game, since in a real game you have to carefully choose backhand or forehand among many other factors when approaching a hole.

+ mcbuttz78 on September 16th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

@ red giant,, you dont have buy 2 controllers to play move games that is tottally optional.. I have played every move game at e3 with 1 move controller. They play about the same / im geting the 50$ move controller. Im going download a few demo’s and have a good time :).. The sport champions pack is the iceing on the cake for us, it only take 3-6 months to make move game, so expect alot of them come xmas and more often..

My only gripes is the demo downloads are way to big 1 gb wow.. and they should put the ps eyes game sa nd move game sinthe same place in the ps store. also remake them over with a patch.. i want to play a few older games in psn like linger of the shadows with move//

+ marlyt on September 16th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

I wonder if eyepet will smoke a cigarette if I offer him one. I guess I’ll find out in about 18 hours.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 16th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

he’s not Solid Snake :D

+ plaztiksyke on September 16th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

I was really sad that there wasn’t an echochrome ii or Flight Control HD demo available for purchase this week in the US. I shouldn’t have to log into a European PSN account just to get those :(

+ RedGiant17 on September 16th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

I’m not worried about buying two controllers. It has been prominently stated that you only need one for most of the Move games. I am on the fence because I don’t see the added value for early adopter of the PSEye to get a bundle or buy the controller and game separate. If I get the bundle I might end up placing the extra Eye next to my PSP go in a bad early adopter idea pile.

+ rgoff31 on September 16th, 2010 at 1:09 pm said:

To bad there isn’t a Move patch for “Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds” or LBP1

+ ROY0666 on September 16th, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

I’m sure there will eventually be DLC for parts of Sports Champions, but what i was wondering about, and havent seen anyone ask, is Sports Champions going to have Trophies and/or Online Play? trophies are nice but online play would be great, considering a few of my friends that dont live near me are getting tha bundle along with me tommorrow.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 16th, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

There are tons of Trophies, and a tough-to-get Platinum.

+ Jeigh on September 16th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

@GJD21 (1)

But we’ll all be laughing at you in spirit. Or, if you like, I could come over sometime and laugh in person, critique your technique, take the controller and say “here’s how REAL man does it”- y’know, make the experience as realistic as possible for you. I’m a very generous spirit, as you can tell. XP

+ Kchow23 on September 16th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

only one more day until the Move!

+ OneCrazyGuy on September 16th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

What kind of DLC is it going to be? different sports would be awesome

+ joostin on September 16th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

I noticed in the video that the game recognizes your depth (distance from camera), does this mean we can incorporate a three step throw like you would on longer holes in real life? Or is it purely the throwing motion?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on September 16th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

Might be tough to stay in camera view the whole time, but that might be possible. However for optimal tracking I wouldn’t recommend moving too far from where you calibrate.

+ bdavid81 on September 16th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

BestBuy.ca has PS Move listed as a September 19th release. Hopefully they’re not stupid and don’t put up a fight when I go to pick it up tomorrow.

Not sure I care about anything aside from Archery at the moment, but I want to review the title and the PS Move on our web site.

+ bdavid81 on September 16th, 2010 at 1:39 pm said:

The Sports Champions demo is already live on the European PS Store, just make an account and grab it there. Start the Party has a demo there as well, I grabbed it this morning when checking that storefront.

PAGE 1 2