PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Sports Champions Week: Table Tennis

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 17, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

If you’ve previously played a tennis or ping pong video game, you might have an idea of what it’s like to play Table Tennis in Sports Champions. You might also be wrong :)

We wanted to wrap up Sports Champions Week with Table Tennis, because what might seem to be a very basic game proves itself to be quite complex when you factor in the precision of PlayStation Move.

In this video, producer Jeremy Ray demonstrates how the paddle is replicated in 3 dimensions, X, Y, and Z-axis tracking, and also shows off multiplayer and how you too can fend off a robot attack with ping pong balls.

That concludes Sports Champions Week, which will be available in the PlayStation Move bundle this very weekend. If you missed them, please take a look at our Archery, Gladiator Duel, and Disc Golf videos. The final game also includes Bocce and Beach Volleyball.

PAGE 1 2

+ Sindred on September 17th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

Can’t wait.

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on September 17th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

jeff do u know if their is a glitch with the tiger woods demo with move support each time i press the t button and im doin what it saids it wont work i got it to work 3 times than i just gave up let me know it is gettin annoyin tryin to play the demo for it

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

I don’t know if the demo on the PlayStation Store has Move support or not. I’ve tried the one on the disc and it works fine.

+ halophiliac on September 17th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

charging move controllers now while i download the demos!!!

+ electronicpart on September 17th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

just got my move withe Sports Champions from bestbuy .

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

great to hear!

+ Direxnipe on September 17th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

looking forward to playing this and all the other games on Sports Champions. im constantly looking out my window checking to see if the UPS guy is there yet hahaha.

+ RedGiant17 on September 17th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

Actual calibration shot! It does look as simple as you all have been touting.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

Dude, we wouldn’t lie to you. I calibrate for that game in about 2.5 seconds.

+ WindedHero on September 17th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

Just got my 2 ps move controllers off my porch. From Amazon with Love.

Can’t wait to get out of work!

+ halophiliac on September 17th, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

uh Jeff….I just saw your cameo in TV Superstars. Looking good my friend. LOL!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

haha, you mean that demo video?

+ scorpio182 on September 17th, 2010 at 1:20 pm said:

One more hour of work!!!!

So you have to charge them first thing?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

the controllers sometimes have a charge on them when you get them, but that varies.

+ Stoffinator on September 17th, 2010 at 1:24 pm said:

I’m really enjoying Sports Champions. I just wish there was more in the game. But what there is very good.

+ B1GG1N on September 17th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

This is not relevant to the Table Tennis game in Sports Champion, but of the turn based games (Frisbee Golf, Bocce) in Sports Champion. Are you able to share one PlayStation Move controller between friends when playing a multiplayer game? I know the controller needs to be calibrated for each person, but isn’t the different color sphere partly used to designate player?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Yes, you may share a controller. The color is different when there are multiple people playing at once (like in Table Tennis).

+ Thrasher20 on September 17th, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

Looks awesome

+ alza3em_94 on September 17th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

@2 I dont think this is actually a glitch make sure when u point down the glowing ball is visible to the camera and take your time before you swing. I found it annoying too because its not perfect if you are really into golf then you gotta buy planet minigolf ,, best one yet

@9 you don’t really have to charge it at first as it will be at about 50% -for me at least-

I really really hope they dont stop developing games for the Move like they did for the eyetoy for ps2 and the PS eye when it was released .. i would be really disappointing in sony if they do that

+ madtyger on September 17th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

This game is why I bought the bundle, hopefully I won’t be disappointed.

+ emiru69 on September 17th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

@B1GG1N, I’m not 100% sure but I always thought that there was a technical reason behind the different colors of the controller: to avoid problems with the background. You don’t want a blue orb in your controller if you have similar color on the walls of your living room for example.

+ SevenFive on September 17th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

Looks like me and my son will be playing all night with the PS move tonight.I love being a gaming dad.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

Nice. I can’t wait til my kid is old enough to play games. Right now she *does* enjoy trying to eat the PlayStation Move.

+ lightyear8 on September 17th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

Thanks for sharing! Would be great to see a run through of the whole process from starting up the game, calibration, and getting into the game. I’ve heard mixed reports regarding calibration and would love to see a demo of the process.

+ IceColdKilla44 on September 17th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Looks great.

Just one suggestion: X, Y, and X-axis? I think you mean “Z” for that last X.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on September 17th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

d’oh! Maybe I was trying to emphasize that we *really* nailed that X-axis movement :D

+ mcbuttz78 on September 17th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

this is epic hahaha.. where j ray . tell him i hope he like his new porshe, he gonna be rich ..

4 all you guys that dont have the ps move your missing out, man wow.. i cannot get enough..

mcbuttz78

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on September 17th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Thanks for the note. I’ve been busy with some other stuff today, but seeing comments now. :)

You guys are hitting the server HARD! :)

+ Sindred on September 17th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

Tried Eyepet first… Yes, I’m a sucker for cute critters. The first impressive thing was the washing part.

It’s awesome seeing the virtual items sticking to the controller so well.

So who do I have to pay to add a lighsaber to this thing, in 3D with Augmented reality?

+ shockwavenumber1 on September 17th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

This look so kool

+ mcbuttz78 on September 17th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

yo ray can take jeff to church in some of these games.. just alil pay back for us bloggers.. lol :p

+ Edd on September 17th, 2010 at 3:05 pm said:

I just got my sports champions Move bundle today with an extra Move and it is awesome! All the games in the compilation are a lot of fun, I even liked volleyball which I didn’t think I would. I’m really impressed by it, thank you guys it’s absolutely fantastic!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on September 17th, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

We didn’t do a Beach Volleyball vid, but here’s one tip.

My favorite part of Volleyball is cooperative play. When you get good try some Gold matches. You’ll be high five, low five-ing in no time. ;)

+ GGCAN on September 17th, 2010 at 3:17 pm said:

Got my 2 Move controllers and the Nav controller today. (Already had the Eye for a few years now).

For some reason BestBuy Canada doesn’t ship The Sports Champions game until Monday.

Downloaded all the demos from the PSN and also updated my Hustle Kings to the latest patch that includes Move and I have to say, I’m very impressed with the precision of the Move.

Actually loved Tumble and purchased it after playing the demo, as I wasn’t sure if I would like the game, but I love it.

Keep up the great work and please keep making more Move games.

+ Edd on September 17th, 2010 at 4:00 pm said:

Yeah I just went through the tutorial on Volleyball, I was surprised to find that it’s actually fairly deep. And I LOVE disc golf that’s definitely ove of my favorites, gladiator duel is great as well, and of course, ping pong haha.

+ j-n4tiv3 on September 17th, 2010 at 4:36 pm said:

Picked up my bundle last night and played the damn thing till 3 in the morning.

One thing I could not get to work though was the “Beat” demo on the disk. Couldn’t get past the first part that tells you to press circle. Would not register from a regular controller or both of my wands.

That said Sports Champions will definitely tide me over until more games are released.

+ RockToonz on September 17th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

I love my Move

+ Hellman on September 17th, 2010 at 6:25 pm said:

Will they be adding online support later down the line for sports champions?

+ macling on September 17th, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

move is awesome, table tennis may to real though I’m about as terrible at it virtually as I am in real life. Loving gladiator duel with 2 move controllers…amazing

+ macling on September 17th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

Also, I like how in sports champions when you calibrate you can see yourself so you know the camera is oriented correctly, this should be a mandatory thing. In some games like you tumble you just push the move button while aiming at the camera, and I’m not as sure what area I can work in and have the camera pick it up.

+ NorthernLitez on September 17th, 2010 at 7:17 pm said:

You guys should have included a tennis game with this collection. As for this package it looks and feels pretty good. Although I’m not 100% sure that Move trumps the other guys yet. I guess I’ll find out soon enough as I bought 4 playstation moves today and they seem to be flying of the shelves. I do like the feel and construction of the move over the cheap feeling wii.

+ Marksman247 on September 17th, 2010 at 8:12 pm said:

Love the Psmove Almost have all the demo’s downloaded of the demo disc and psn GREAT WORK!!!!!

+ Endy911 on September 17th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

Whoa. The move’s awesome!
My friend and I were playing Table tennis earlier and I can’t say anything else other than complain how much my arm hurts from playing too competitively.

My arm still hurts. It was funny when we were playing, we just kept hitting as hard as we can. I actually started to sweat too which I didn’t expect. Maybe I’m taking this game too seriously, but it’s too awesome to be ignored.

+ gfunkera on September 17th, 2010 at 10:49 pm said:

Loving Sports Champions. Bought the Bundle from Best Buy and an extra move controller. Don’t feel the need for the navigation controller just yet, but will get it soon for sure. I walked into Best Buy about 20 minutes after having opened, and the shelf already had many Move bundles missing, which is a good thing….and I saw a couple people walking around with the Move PS3 bundle. Console sales are great.

I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area, so we usually have a much larger Microsoft fanbase, so I am glad to see the PS3 getting some love over here.

Took the Move stuff over to sisters house so their family could give it a shot. They are so accustomed to the Wii, it was really difficult for them to realize they had to put actual effort into completing objectives. Was funny watching them flicking their wrists and getting frustrated, but after a short time, they loved it as well.

+ Jeru82 on September 17th, 2010 at 11:23 pm said:

I’ve been playing for about 2 hours and i have to say i love it the balance between the motion the graphics and network feature is everything i wanted in a motion game experience cheers

+ S-E-G on September 18th, 2010 at 12:29 am said:

i take everything back i said bad about move, it really is 1:1
loving it
thanks sony
;)

+ BossDogg211 on September 18th, 2010 at 1:03 am said:

I am glad you guys got yall playstation move I pre-ordered mines on July 29th from Walmart.com and I still won’t receive it til Tuesday Sept. 21st for days after its release very disappointed.

+ austinite04 on September 18th, 2010 at 1:27 am said:

I have the Move, and am disappointed… It seems most of the Launch games are shovel ware games… WOW, I thought Sony wouldn’t allow that.. I’m returning a Ubisoft game I got thinking it was a good game but got frustrated it wasn’t true 1:1… Racquet Sports is the game NO ONE should buy, it’s $30 for a reason.. Why is Ubisoft so incompetent?? They have never made any good games on the wii, I should have known they’d EPIC Fail on the Move… Just waiting to see how FPS’s will handle with the Move…

+ judalation on September 18th, 2010 at 4:00 am said:

I Bought the Move and It is Much Better than I thought It would be… Games like Tumble and Sports champions are clearly cream of the crop! Unfortunatly since Ubisoft made Racquet Sports You know it would be up to snuff… However SCE San Diego saved the day with Sports champions which is a STEAL with this Bundle! I am glad that Sce San Diego will finally get the credit they deserve after great titles like the Mark Of Kri that were ignored by the public. Hopefully they can bring the series to the PS3 and show the wold what they can do!

+ judalation on September 18th, 2010 at 4:08 am said:

I also have some Move tips for the NOOBS who dont know how to set the system, and just blame the Hardware… 1) although you can place the playstation eye above your tv… I find that the best place to place it is just below the tv pointing torwards your belly buttion.

2) before doing a game calibration, go to system settings and select move calibration… there you will be asked to spin the move 360 degrees horrizontally and virtically…make sure you do this with the eye straight ahead… and where you will be playing the game… this is BY FAR THE BEST CALIBRATION… and is essential when playing games with little calibration.
3) Most importantly, dont have any bright lights behind you! and stay at least 4 feet from the EYE… the key is to stay in the sight of the eye at all times… follow these tips and you will see the true accuracy and power of the move!

+ TCBFox on September 18th, 2010 at 4:48 am said:

Thanks for the tips Judalation. So you really think the Camera is best on the bottom of the TV??? I haven’t tried putting the camera on top of the TV yet, because I have a flat screen and the camera doesn’t fit up there. Why didn’t they include a clip for it??? I’m thinking of putting it up there with a little bit of Velcro, but maybe not if you say it works better below. BTW, when Is Sports Champions gonna have online support, so I can play friends online.

+ MickHooligan on September 18th, 2010 at 5:00 am said:

@ TCBFox….

Try the dangle method. The flat part of the base works really well after you un-twist the cord.

+ Ibn_Elmeedan on September 18th, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

HAHAHA Jeff that’s funny (your daughter trying to eat the MOVE controller) is she awing on the “ball” on the top? that seems to be much more softer than i thought, by the way.

+ KidCommando on September 18th, 2010 at 7:55 am said:

This works really well if the top of your TV is similar. This is how I have my camera sitting now and it doesn’t move and you don’t need a clip or velcro.

Check out this vid of how well the PSeye tracks in different lighting situations.

The Move is amazing! It really works as well as they say. The precision is spot on and the calibration set-up is not hard at all, takes a couple seconds. I really think word of mouth is going to sell this thing. The launch line-up is a little weak, but the future is ultra bright for Move.

Just try it out before you call it a Wii rip-off, The thing just works!

+ igorrocks2 on September 18th, 2010 at 9:52 am said:

Hey! Hi everyone Cant wait till Monday to order one from Dell Seak deal 2 movws camera Sport champions Dock Station
But I had chancre to play it already and I have question will Sport Champions work without Move? Happy motion weekend! :D

+ sick111one on September 18th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Just got the Sports Champions Bundle, A Navigation Controller, and a Charge kit! Ready to go! Word on the street is the seperate controllers stand alone are sold out everywhere. Good news for Sony! But I would like to buy another one. When will the next shipment go out!

+ NorthernLitez on September 18th, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

Sports Champions 8.5/10 (should have had tennis). But what it has is great.

Racquet Sports 1/10. Doesn’t utilize the MOVE at all.

The Shoot Demo 8/10 Looks like alot of fun

Velocity Bowling 10/10 I can’t wait

Tiger Woods 10/10

Eye Pet 9/10. Great but it needs more ‘substance’

Tumble. 8.5/10 I haven’t played it much but it looks pretty good. The problem I have with a game like this is that I can’t download it from the apple store for 99c or 1.99 but it’s something like 9.99 on the PS3.

Well of to try ‘PAIN’ hopefully it’s been patched.

+ TCBFox on September 18th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

Hey thanks for the tip Commando. I like those videos. I like how the camera sits on the TV, and I now know why it’s flat on one side, but I think I’m gonna use a little Heavy Duty Velcro anyway. I think it will help a lot, and be a little safer. I have tons of that stuff lying around from making guitar FX pedal boards.

+ black26ss on September 18th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

i played this game and “wow” i play the same way i play on a real table i was like did u just see that …. what did thay do put a mine reader in the controler….lol it was that good… i love the move ….thanks for makeing the the best game ever

+ TH3_NS_LEG3ND on September 18th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

just got the 2 ps move controllers, sport champions and a psn card, and all i can say is.. WOW! i cant take my hand off this controller half the time i dont even play the game i either stare at how amazing it is or just wiggle it around and see how great the 1to1 tracking is… thankyou so much sony

PAGE 1 2