Driveclub

PS3 System Software Update v3.50 Available Soon

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Sep 20, 2010 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, as we announced previously, the PS3 system software update (v3.50) is adding support for Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback, and it will be released shortly.

Additional new features in the 3.50 update include:

• Facebook Integration: Developers will be able to create PS3 games that have deep interaction with Facebook. Once compatible PS3 titles are available, PS3 users can choose to access their information on Facebook – including user name, profile, photos and friends list – to enhance their gameplay experience.
  • Grief Reporting Function: Users can send claim reports directly from the XMB for any inappropriate messages they receive from other PlayStation Network users. This feature is accessible from the option menu of the messages list in the FRIENDS category.

For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.

395 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8

+ megalodonshark on September 20th, 2010 at 8:17 pm said:

personally i think the facebook thing linked to the system is a very bad idea. how easy it is for companies to fire people for less than an indiscretion over something like playing games, but it is a very real and true fact. be very careful about what goes onto facebook people.

+ leoramen on September 20th, 2010 at 8:17 pm said:

I’m currently downloading the firmware (although I’m still waiting to win the lotery to be able to buy a Bravia 3D), anyway thanks for the update :D

+ Brandon_2535 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:17 pm said:

@Kchow23: That’s exactly what I want. I posted about this in the comments section of the maintenance post, but it was never replied to. It’s pretty much ridiculous that you only have to be 13 to join Facebook and I’m 18 yet I can’t use it on my PS3 because I’m using a sub-account.

+ KILLZONE79 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:18 pm said:

Just noticed this, everyone highlight playstation store icon on XMB. its got a new background

+ etur0 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:18 pm said:

I’m sick of all these crass game chat I don’t know people want it it is so stupid if I’m playing a single player game I want to be immersed in it and talking to other people will ruin that and if I’m playing an online game I will be talking to the people that I’m playing with

+ stlcardinal9 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:18 pm said:

thanks for the 3DTV update but I am buying a Samsung 3DTV not Sony…bahahhahahahahahaha

+ KSPRAYDAD on September 20th, 2010 at 8:19 pm said:

Come on Eric…you can do it…one comment on one of your posts…really.

+ TastyGenitals on September 20th, 2010 at 8:20 pm said:

I wonder what the consequences would be for inappropriate messages and such…

+ SpyDudeFX on September 20th, 2010 at 8:21 pm said:

What ever happened to that trophy feature added a year ago where devs could seperate DLC trophies? I haven’t seen it used yet? And Eric a year ago you said we would have tons of premium avatars, yet I think we have less than 60 right now and 80% are Street Fighter. When can we expect more variety?

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Eric Lempel on September 20th, 2010 at 10:26 pm said:

We actually enabled the trophy feature you’re referencing in update 3.0

If a developer chooses to implement the enhancement you can change the way your trophies are grouped together and easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs, or view the entire trophy collection for that game together. To do this, find a compatible title in your trophy collection that has an add-on pack and switch between the two views by pressing the square button.

+ gekko1986 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

Really need Netflix on XMB, plus MUBI for NA.

+ ItsPhillip on September 20th, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

Thank GOD above for GRIEF REPORTING! I’m getting sick and tired of all the spam and perverted messages that I receive!

+ Lestatdelioncort on September 20th, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

Everyone protest this firmware in infringes freedom of speech

+ ItsPhillip on September 20th, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

Everyone ignore the dummy above.

+ SmashBro6490 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

So is it safe to assume you are NEVER going to let me organize my games alphabetically? This is absolutely ridiculous. All these stupid updates and you can’t add this one feature.

+ SuperTiso on September 20th, 2010 at 8:24 pm said:

So I guess the PS Store is just not going to update tonight like they said it would right? Yet I can go on my Xbox and see new things updated.

+ wtfiswron on September 20th, 2010 at 8:24 pm said:

Thanks for not updating the Browser. X-(

+ ItsPhillip on September 20th, 2010 at 8:24 pm said:

PS Store updates every tuesday around 2-4 PST.

+ TheTrickster_76 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:25 pm said:

So I got the update but still trying to figure out the grief reporting…

+ quickfire13 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:25 pm said:

Yeah, hovering over PS Store icon shows a new background :D! I was literally just thinking about how ugly it was before (no offense), but now it’s perttyyy! lol

But seriously, it’s a nice, small update that was considerably faster for me to d/l and install. And it seems that the PS Store navigation is a lot smoother for me as well, very nice!

Thank You!

+ Niedorowski207 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

i think a couple major updates that are needed are Hulu, and the ability to play ps2 games on the newer ps3′s. It’s stupid that they don’t! I already have every guitar hero and rock band game for my ps2, i don’t want to have to buy the games all over again, ’cause the peripherals all work, so it’s stupid that the games do not. And games such as Project Snowblind, or BLACK would be awesome on ps3, especially if they got remastered for ps3, but at this point i’ll take what i can get!

+ tha_con on September 20th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

Really disliking the background on the PS Store icon. Seriously, that stuff isn’t remotely necessary, it’s just a waste of resources. We get it, there’s a store, it’s all over the XMB. Get rid of this stuff…

+ Aeolus426 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

finally i can report those racist people on blur

+ etur0 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

@SpyDudeFX it is there well at least you do it yourself it is like shorting your games, video ect. just click on the trophy icon and I can’t remember what to do next though

+ Skeith_1911 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:27 pm said:

1. Will be the PS3 facebook games free?
2. We ABSOLUTELY need a new web browser.

+ Lestatdelioncort on September 20th, 2010 at 8:28 pm said:

Everyone please protest this firmware it infringes freedom of speech. Defend your rights, don’t settle. Everyone knows you can get introuble even by false reporting.

+ Sgt_Bluej on September 20th, 2010 at 8:29 pm said:

CROSS GAME CHAT PLEASE

+ AmazonAgent on September 20th, 2010 at 8:30 pm said:

lets get Netflix in the XMB already…I’m tired of having to order new discs every couple of uses (I’m on my 3rd disc) since they were cheaply made and wear out some how and become unplayable.

+ TexMurphie on September 20th, 2010 at 8:30 pm said:

Good update…but REALLY, where the hell is the disc-less NetFlix update? Step up your game Sony, come on.

+ TheTrickster_76 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

That is why there should be consequences for false reporting as well… :D

I take it that all the “features” for this “update” are not available until after the scheduled maintenance?
Dont answer if I’m correct…

+ Sgt_Bluej on September 20th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

SONY PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR FANS AND GIVE US AT LEAST ONE OF THE THINGS WE WANT.. NOT THE THINGS THAT YOU PRETEND THAT WE WANT

+ Jobocan on September 20th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

@112
Yeah, but there was a piece of news earlier today where they said the update was coming today instead of tomorrow since they’re having maintenance tomorrow. The update should be up by now.

+ Monetep on September 20th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

“Grief Reporting Function” Oh thank you so much, i hate effing spammers “send this message to x quantity of people to get 50 bucks” yeah right.
I used to block those people, what happens to people who get reported? i don’t want this feature to be abused…

+ kph15h on September 20th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

3.5 is live now. Updating…

+ DaveTheStalker on September 20th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

Please expand our Friends List to 200+ GT5 is coming and you know WeLoveCars!

+ packy17 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:31 pm said:

@ 112

The PS Store is updating tonight due to an 8 hour outage tomorrow for maintenance.

+ etur0 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:32 pm said:

@Lestatdelioncort you agreed to the rules when you created your psn account and if you break them you will have to face the punishment and some of the rules are about insulting others and stuff like that

+ SyphonFilter- on September 20th, 2010 at 8:32 pm said:

Grief report is great,also can you report cheaters from online games?

+ cortesc130 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:33 pm said:

@Sgt Bluej – I agree with you 100%

+ KILLZONE79 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:35 pm said:

@ Everyone posting

STOP COMPLAINING about these firmware updates otherwise sony will never ever give us features we want.

for me, i’ve liked every firmware update!
sony you have my word :)

+ Monetep on September 20th, 2010 at 8:36 pm said:

Downloading the new update!

Can i cry a little?

“I want MY enslaved demo right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

+ SpyDudeFX on September 20th, 2010 at 8:36 pm said:

@etur0 thx I will check it out.

@Lestatdelioncort The people falsely reporting you can be but hopefully if someone false reports you, you won’t get banned?

+ TheTrickster_76 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:38 pm said:

@KILLZONE79 Not everyone is complaining dude.

@SpyDudeFX I agree with ya. But there should be consequences if someone keeps repeatly grieves and turns out not to be true each time…

+ KellyJaye on September 20th, 2010 at 8:40 pm said:

when releasing new firmware updates, would it be possible to also release it for PC download at the same time and not a couple days later as it tends to be now? When I am at work and find out something like this, I would love to be able to download it when I can so I can have it ready for when I get home. Also seems to download a little faster on a computer too for some reason the times I have done it that way

+ Lord_Ka1n on September 20th, 2010 at 8:41 pm said:

“etur0 | September 20th, 2010 at 8:18 pm

you want to talk about a worthless feature cross game chat is a worthless feature”

exactly. its really not that great people.
although in an online game id rather not talk to anyone so i can concentrate better.

we do need a better browser though. the current one is like the dial-up of web browsers. could we at least get dsl here?

+ toasty_hoodie on September 20th, 2010 at 8:41 pm said:

Sweet, I actually like the new PS Store Background

+ Lestatdelioncort on September 20th, 2010 at 8:41 pm said:

Protest this firmware people will falsely accuse you of wrongdoing and will take advantage of reporting any chance they get even if you just say hi, which clearly infringes freedom of speech

+ cortesc130 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:41 pm said:

@Killzone79 – like trickster said no one is complaining we just think Sony can do better and we all just want to make PSN a better network.

+ school_1106 on September 20th, 2010 at 8:41 pm said:

Thank You, SONY!
I really like your work!
Waiting for new features every time receiving update!
This 3.50 is completely useless for me
Anyway please keep on making this upgrades.
I’d like to see a completely new design for the Main Screen (Menu) with Clock (Screensaver, Alarm may be) and Weather stuff
Integration with Google Earth (Panoramio, YoutubeHD etc)
Not NTFS, MKV, neither Netflix (or other paying apps) because there are so many other gadgets which can do it better than PS3
And may be some surprises for folk.
Thanx

+ DUBMNM on September 20th, 2010 at 8:42 pm said:

hm I kinda don’t like the ”Grief Reporting Function” idead why? well what if someone miss understands you? or is just someone who is just a jerk and reports you? who is this going to work? are you guys gonig to make sure is the person who report this other person is right? HOW? please let us know how?

+ mrdeadhead on September 20th, 2010 at 8:43 pm said:

eh, not bad i guess. it probably could’ve waited till a bigger update with some actual desirable stuff. like a netflix app…

oh or the ability to listen to music inside ANY game…

and i guess just for annoying posterity i should mention cross-game chat even though i don’t entirely care about it.

but really, netflix and the music are all i want.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8