PS4 - Transistor

PS3 System Software Update v3.50 Available Soon

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Sep 20, 2010 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, as we announced previously, the PS3 system software update (v3.50) is adding support for Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback, and it will be released shortly.

Additional new features in the 3.50 update include:

• Facebook Integration: Developers will be able to create PS3 games that have deep interaction with Facebook. Once compatible PS3 titles are available, PS3 users can choose to access their information on Facebook – including user name, profile, photos and friends list – to enhance their gameplay experience.
  • Grief Reporting Function: Users can send claim reports directly from the XMB for any inappropriate messages they receive from other PlayStation Network users. This feature is accessible from the option menu of the messages list in the FRIENDS category.

For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.

395 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8

+ unspacy on September 20th, 2010 at 9:55 pm said:

this comment has nothing to do with said idea but i have to say this & if anyone reads this im sure they would agree lets get rid of the stupid idea error message that says idea may have been posted or looks like one of these which we know doesnt yet it wont go through because of that stupid thing sorry but ive had lots of ideas shot down because of that & im sure all of you to & so that is my idea i cant seem to get posted unless someone else wants to try go for it because i cant seem to be able to post because it looks like or it may have been submitted already which is stupid & annoying

+ Edd on September 20th, 2010 at 9:55 pm said:

two lights is normal on the controller, the ps3 supports 7, so to indicate controller number 5, or whatever, it will light up light 1 and 4.

+ unspacy on September 20th, 2010 at 9:56 pm said:

oh & enough with the cross game voice chat stuff they probably get it & are tired of you ppl complaining about it give it a rest jeez

+ Velzorn on September 20th, 2010 at 9:56 pm said:

I downloaded the forced update and now my 160(“Fat”)PS3 will not pick up my 1080p Sony Bravia LCD TV HDMI signal. I switch to HDMI(1) just like I always have and nothing, no signal. I go to video and go to Display settings and try to set up the settings for 1080p and it doesn’t let me, as if it is saying that my 1080p tv doesn’t support 1080p?!

Please address this problem!!!

+ thesniper321 on September 20th, 2010 at 9:56 pm said:

I have 4 controllers, after the one I was using showed that pb I try all the others one ……………same thing I reset ALL my controller…………..Same thing and what do you mean by helding the reset button you can do that?? I tought you just had to press it??

+ WXZIBIT on September 20th, 2010 at 9:57 pm said:

nice sony

+ thesniper321 on September 20th, 2010 at 9:58 pm said:

So my ps3 detects 5 controller when I have 4??? NICE BUG SONY, I’m clapping right now

+ Wheels86 on September 20th, 2010 at 9:58 pm said:

It’s funny how people are never happy they want a million features in one update or if something isn’t to their liking they think crying about it is gonna make sony change things just for them

its comical

+ Legend20x on September 20th, 2010 at 10:01 pm said:

@thesniper321

can you freak out a bit more? kthx.

anyways i just bought my copy of Sonic Adventure. the store is updated but you have to search to find what you want. its as if they forgot the splash page but remembered the content… anyone else?

btw thanks to FRANKMAN1 for the tip!

+ thesniper321 on September 20th, 2010 at 10:01 pm said:

and the bluethooth isn’t working anymore I can turn on the ps3 but after that all the light keep flashing until I plug the usb then I have 2 lights on

+ N_8_ on September 20th, 2010 at 10:04 pm said:

@Goukima (237)
That was a bug in 3.15 which messed with the music settings.
Go to Settings -> Music Settings and
change Output Frequency
from: 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz
to: 48 kHz

It should then work.

+ PIaystation3Sux on September 20th, 2010 at 10:04 pm said:

Thanks again for another useless update, Sony. I only play GAMES on my GAME console. I really wish they would make these updates OPTIONAL for those of us with no intention of rebuying our DVD collections on stupid Blu-Ray discs.

Thanks again for wasting my GAMING time with a silly update.

+ Fenrir2606 on September 20th, 2010 at 10:08 pm said:

So one thing that should have been on the PS3 from day one and one thing that is completely pointless like the rest of the Facebook functionality. Why not just give a Facebook app. You guys rock.

+ PhillyTheCat on September 20th, 2010 at 10:11 pm said:

I think I feel a joke about to emerge~ hey Sony…how many firmware updates does it take to finally screw loyal fans out of their commitment to you…..? give up? too damn many!! I feel bad for the PS3 players. every update does something negative to your systems. also, you gain some features and lose others. no apology for anything, just more of the usual silliness. how does it all make sense to you Sony?????

+ righello on September 20th, 2010 at 10:13 pm said:

@249 Wheels86:

True, it does get repetitive. Can’t say it’s unwarranted though.

It’ll be very interesting in 10 years; maybe SCE will finally say what was holding them back. In realtime, it’s interesting seeing them shoot themselves in the foot so consistently, and in public. A textbook example for sure.

+ PIaystation3Sux on September 20th, 2010 at 10:13 pm said:

Exactly Philly. Only the butt kissers posts and those whining constantly for ‘omg gimme cross game chat’ usually end up being kept on the blog posts.

Anything even vaguely anti Sony or anti crap firmware is deleted and those people silenced. It’s ridiculous.

+ xNemesiSx on September 20th, 2010 at 10:17 pm said:

For the people crying about MKV support, just use PS3 Media Server, you can even put subtitles. Its an amazing program, that’s what i use to watch my HD movies (streaming from my PC).

+ tehr0x0r on September 20th, 2010 at 10:20 pm said:

Thanks for screwing up my wireless usb controller! I just love the fact that I can now not watch 3D crap on my 2D TV AND I get to not use my controller as well. Thanks Sony, Thanks!

+ JDAWS on September 20th, 2010 at 10:23 pm said:

Well after holding out hope for some time now, it appears that Sony did not add checkerboard 3d support to the PS3. PS3 can no longer claim to be the best blu-ray player available and can change their “Only does everything” marketing campaign. I am more surprised than dissapointed to be honest. Over the years I’ve been the biggest PS supported in the world and I thought Sony would have taken the high road on this (supporting its users who cannot afford to drop a few grand on a new 3d TV right now). Sony let me down.

+ Mythodix on September 20th, 2010 at 10:24 pm said:

Damn now i need to watch what I say to losers online

+ PIaystation3Sux on September 20th, 2010 at 10:28 pm said:

Yeah. I have to watch and not curse out people shooting at me from choppers in GTA free roam. So I guess it’s all private matches for me from here on out.

+ thesniper321 on September 20th, 2010 at 10:32 pm said:

So I guess I’m screwed and I will have to wait for another update???…. Ok

+ Thrasher20 on September 20th, 2010 at 10:46 pm said:

Ah good gibbons. I wonder how the Facebook thing will be like…

+ KellyJaye on September 20th, 2010 at 10:52 pm said:

@138…Lord… I wonder the same thing about the cross game chat, atleast for MP games. When you are in a game with other players, generally you want to talk to them to play the game. How often do you talk about something other than the game you are playing? When you do go off on something else, it doesnt last and you just get back to talking about the game you are both playing. For talking to someone playing another game, how would you really be able to keep your mind on what you are doing? Unless its some basic puzzle game, it just seems like it would interfere having two things like that going on at once with your gameplay. If i really need to say something to someone in another game, I just send an email or use the text chat. Always works fine for us

+ EggySong85 on September 20th, 2010 at 11:03 pm said:

Could care less about the Facebook thing… Facebook already knows TOO much about me as it is. But the reporting thing is a great update! Keep it up! Looking forward to even more substantial updates in the future!

+ Velzorn on September 20th, 2010 at 11:04 pm said:

Please help! I downloaded the firmware update and now my 160(“Fat”)PS3 will not pick up my 1080p Sony Bravia LCD TV HDMI signal. I switch to HDMI(1) just like I always have and nothing, no signal. I go to video and go to Display settings and try to set up the settings for HDMI/1080p and it doesn’t let me, as if it is saying that my 1080p tv doesn’t support 1080p?!

Is anyone else having a similar problem? Please help. Since the update my PS3 will not support 1080p?!

Please address this problem!!!

+ Fenrir2606 on September 20th, 2010 at 11:06 pm said:

Eric? When are we going to see something worthwhile?

+ madhi19 on September 20th, 2010 at 11:16 pm said:

Is in that a little light to go to 3.50!

+ shadysaiyanz on September 20th, 2010 at 11:29 pm said:

@104/Eric Lempel

Thank you for explaining that, i had been wondering the same things for like forever. i remember noticing the + sign on DLC and wondering how i was supposed to see them sorted or w/e cause i guess i thought it was automatic. thank you :)

+ manhattan11 on September 20th, 2010 at 11:34 pm said:

Wow this update is taking forever, probably a good time to go check 3D TV’s.

Check out my blog, its a work in progress http://www.CRTechnology.blogspot.com

+ Velzorn on September 20th, 2010 at 11:36 pm said:

Problem fixed. Never mind. Sorry about that.

+ cyrl_79 on September 20th, 2010 at 11:55 pm said:

I was prompt to update my firmware, it takes a long time (1.5 hours, its not finished yet and it keeps getting disconnected)….

+ mermaidkween on September 21st, 2010 at 12:01 am said:

Hi, guys – any chance of explaining the Facebook stuff a little further? Are you just saying that we’ll be able to look at the accounts of people we’re playing with, or that we’ll be able to add Facebook friends with PSN accounts, or…well, what is it? Not really understanding from this blurb, and if games aren’t out that utilize it yet, it might be a while before we know. Thanks.

+ wootang912 on September 21st, 2010 at 12:20 am said:

come on everybody sony is doing a awsome job give them a little slack, for one they still have the BEST system out and probably will for a while i mean come on xbox? wii? they aint got nuttin on ps3 and the move is sweet, it has its issues but overall i love it. wii… eat ur heart out! would like more existing games to have a update for move support but anyway SONY… yall got my support all the way ive followed since ps1 so GO SONY

+ alex_ansem on September 21st, 2010 at 12:27 am said:

I updated a few minutes ago and since that very moment i can’t use my ps3 anymore… it seems like if there was no hd cable connected to my tv from it… so… what did just happened?

+ DLKC on September 21st, 2010 at 12:47 am said:

About time. next step is sending looking& sending emails from Hotmail.com and maybe sending songs to each other or small videos under 2GB ;)

DLKC Online

+ NDubbaYa on September 21st, 2010 at 12:52 am said:

Sony, your updates suck. Seriously.

Let’s look at my choices here.

I update to 3.50 and get a grief reporting function. Wowzers.

I stay on my firmware and decide to mod it. I get access to whatever the homebrew scene decides to cook up. On top of hard drive access to the PS3′s library, I hear they’re working on PSP emulation now. That’s something I would pay money for but I’m getting for free now.

Step your game up Sony.

+ sid6581 on September 21st, 2010 at 1:05 am said:

Voting these down all the way until you implement features we really want.

+ alex_ansem on September 21st, 2010 at 1:17 am said:

Weird… i finally get to use my ps3 again but i have to update to 3.5 again :/ so i did and now it works just fine… anyway… good job sony

+ BarricadeS281E on September 21st, 2010 at 1:20 am said:

Well, I guess I’ll just quit asking for more music Visual Players then….seeing as how it ain’t happening.

+ esso82 on September 21st, 2010 at 1:32 am said:

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh …. will there ever be a .mkv support?

+ Toshman7 on September 21st, 2010 at 1:34 am said:

i want MKV hd video codec on my ps3 please!

+ Toshman7 on September 21st, 2010 at 1:36 am said:

will there ever be a mkv hd video support please?

+ Techni on September 21st, 2010 at 1:41 am said:

I submit an idea to the PS.Share blog every day, and many dont get posted. They dont tell me why. But when stuff like “Add a Super NINTENDO” emulator gets added it’s very disheartening to see things you cant possible do get chosen over my legitimate ideas.

Can you please force them to tell us why our ideas dont get posted and show where are ideas are in the queue to be read?

+ NURADEEN on September 21st, 2010 at 2:15 am said:

@tecni lol ps3 already has snes emu that is if you didn’t update past 3.41 and many more to come . i was thinking of updating to 3.50 but it doesn’t offer me anything , id rather stick to 3.41 for now where all the good stuff is and not this crap sony keep giving . 3d meh . sony will lose alot for their DUMB actions . they should think about their customers more and stop just focusing on their pockets . im going to stick with the hack scene , seeing that it’s customerr based and offers more than sony does at the moment . Dont care too much about psn or plus(which i got suckered into) pretty soon the hackers will have their own psn version and i ll go play online there with my free homebrew games that probably will get more support than sony offers . Too bad Sony, our relationship isn’t what it use to be,but thats your fault not mine. Only time will tell who will win, and don’t anybody think sonys winning cuz guess what ? nevermind , go find out for yourself ,you do know how to use Google? signed EX Sony fanboy

+ AWESOMEgamer875 on September 21st, 2010 at 3:18 am said:

Ive personally had problems logging on to my FB on my PS3. Might just be a password change.

+ drepsx3 on September 21st, 2010 at 3:26 am said:

Will us PSP Users ever get a friends list?

+ S-E-G on September 21st, 2010 at 3:46 am said:

man i’ll be glad when these updates stop being about sony’s wallets and start being about what we want

+ Mkcx on September 21st, 2010 at 3:48 am said:

Still waiting for the Netflix Update

+ mew_frenger on September 21st, 2010 at 4:11 am said:

how can ppl complain? we get a 3d player for free! thats huge. but at the same time, who the hell has a 3d tv? noone.. i whish sony would maybe do some updates for everyone like maybe make a new iteration of the xmb, xbox interface is so much better and they do like yearly updates making it faster and better looking. the ps3 is just getting uglier, friends box, bigger letters, tons of ps store icons everywhere.

plis do a makeover of the xmb, and this time get some designers to do it. the xmb is great, but the new stuff that has been added looks like a 10year olds work. the trophy profile is a joke. plis do something about this sony!

other than that thanks for the update

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8