PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Netflix Streaming its Way to Canada Today

Ashley Purdy's Avatar + Posted by Ashley Purdy on Sep 22, 2010 // Public Relations Specialist for Sony Computer Entertainment Canada

Seems that now that I’ve started blogging, I can’t stop! I’m happy to announce that Netflix is launching in Canada today.

Netflix PS3

For those of you who don’t know what Netflix is, it’s the leading internet movie subscription service, which basically means that all of us Canadians can now watch an unlimited amount of movies and TV episodes for $7.99 a month.

Now your PlayStation 3 is able to stream from Netflix right to your TV, letting you chose from thousands of movie and TV episodes; watch as much as you want, whenever you want.

To get started simply look for the Netflix icon under the video icon in your XMB (cross media bar).

For all our friends in the US and current Netflix members, you’ll have to continue using the instant streaming disc for your PS3 system until the Netflix application icon becomes available for you in October.

For all our French speaking friends, Netflix intends to add French language capability over time.

Still not sure if Netflix is right for you and your PS3? Visit www.netflix.ca/ps3 for your free one-month trial and see for yourself! With no late delivery fees, can your Wednesday get any better?

148 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ les15snc on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

This is bull**** why does canada get it now!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he he…Aboot….lol

+ mastorofpuppetz on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

Canadians have bandwidth caps? News to me, i dont have one. BUT, this is terrible, the selection in Canada is laughable, and every few minutes the movie stops and says retrieving?

+ mastorofpuppetz on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:42 pm said:

Not gonna keep this after the trial, no popular movies are there, or shows, terrible selection, is this a way to get customers? With terrible selection about 1/10th what the US gets? Disappointed.

+ OOG-FunK on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

I need to wait for new content because right now its lackluster… not much of a selection at all.

+ CapinChronic on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

This is awesome.. Thanks SCEC!!!

+ CapinChronic on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

I’m Canadain and I have no bandwidth cap whatsoever

+ perrandy on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:52 pm said:

cant wait for the xmb version of netflix to arrive here in the continental united states this oct.love netflix <3

+ DTHCND on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

I can’t access it… When I go to What’s New and select it nothing happens :(…

+ DTHCND on September 22nd, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

@CapinChronic ya me neither… I’m with B*ll though…

+ MooseDog_00 on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

ADD THIS TO THE US ON OCT 5TH OR EARLIER.

+ Steve0043 on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

@82 (myself)
I’ve installed, there’s a _lot_ more available through the App than they show at netflix.ca.
A lot is fairly old, but it will take me months to work through whats there anyway.
Some odd choices, like they’ll have Season 2 of some things, but no Season 1.
HD looks good. Some are in 5.1, but others are stereo. There were a few pauses after starting a movie, but that seemed to stop after the first few min.
1-month free = try it. I’ll probably keep the $8 a month going for a while anyway.

+ luongofan1 on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

For those trying to access Netflix through the “Whats New” area and not having success then you can download the app under the “video” tab on your PS3 menu.

+ Franvreluche on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

wtf it says one monthe free trial but when i whant to be member i need my credit card

+ FormerPSfan on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

This is very long overdue. Its good someone at netflix finally looked at a map and realize that theres life outside the good old USA. Seriously though, it should’ve come a long time ago. Netflix ignored a very large market by ignoring most of the world not just Canada.

+ JoeDierte on September 22nd, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

Congrats to all my friends in Canada!

+ Einhander138 on September 22nd, 2010 at 3:08 pm said:

Why do we need Netflix if we have Blu-Ray?

+ KongWen on September 22nd, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

It Netflix still giving deaf viewers the shaft by refusing to include any subtitle functionality in their services? If so, they won’t be seeing a penny of my money until that changes.

+ sTaB_u_N_uR_i on September 22nd, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

Great news, i hope bell canada and rogers go broke.

I have a special hate that burns in me for them….Why?

Youd think with the news about netflix they would offer a better deal to keep thier costumers (and attract new ones)

but no, what did they do you ask.

Both of them lowered their internet cap.

(and are charging the same fee)

Just seen it on the news.

I hate them.

I hate them so very very much.

+ kosluftar on September 22nd, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

I installed the application, but whenever I load it just tells me that it cannot connect. Anyone else have this issue?

+ curlybrace on September 22nd, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

@kosluftar

I’ve been playing with it for about an hour and no dice. Something must be wrong. A friend of mine is having the same issue. Maybe all us Canadians just getting home from work/school and turning on our PS3s to try Netflix have overloaded something.

+ curlybrace on September 22nd, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

@kosluftar

Never mind. It just started working

+ kosluftar on September 22nd, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

@curlybrace

Well I wasn’t sure what to do, but I decided to go to Network Settings then Internet Connection Test and when that finished. I loaded Netflix, again and it worked just fine.

I am not sure if it was for that reason or because the service just became available again.

+ YumPladukFoo on September 22nd, 2010 at 5:29 pm said:

Does it work with PSP Remote Play?

+ SnDin9 on September 22nd, 2010 at 5:31 pm said:

The only problem is the library is super small with no up-to-date content (for now hopefully).

Also, the TOS states they can change the price without notice meaning they’ll probably raise the price as more, and hopefully better, content is added. But, either way we get a free 1 month trial, so no harm in that! I’ll admit I signed up first thing in the morning after I got the Netflix notification email haha.

+ SnDin9 on September 22nd, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

Also, be sure to sign-up via netflix.ca then log-in using the app on your PS3. You won’t be able to do anything until you sign-up and give your credit card info.

+ ChainClutch on September 22nd, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

I live in atlantic canada too and i dont have a bandwidth cap either.. im through Rogers and get a 60GB of data usage per month and any GB after the 60 then i just pay extra for it (e.g. pay per use rates).. however i never go over the 60GB a month..

+ trustter on September 22nd, 2010 at 6:19 pm said:

I am in love with Netflix. Thanks sony for doing this. The service is great. I can’t believe the quality of the movies I am seeing.

Thank you!

+ mikedo2007 on September 22nd, 2010 at 7:02 pm said:

All right, can’t wait to see how this goes for US when we get disc-less version of Netflix.

+ GGCAN on September 22nd, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

Thank-you for bringing this to Canada.

@ ChainClutch 126…..you’re saying you don’t have a limit and then you’re saying you have a 60 GB mthly limit.

With Netflix or even the Sony movie downloads, I wouldn’t say you won’t exceed the 60 GB limit.

I downloaded 4 movies last month from Sony, each being a little over 5 GB each…right there is 20 GB and that’s only 4 movies.

So if you watch a small amount of the downloaded movies, you may be correct and won’t go over the limit, but if you truly want to watch as much as you can mthly, I’m pretty sure you’ll exceed that 60 GB per mth.

I know if I go over 60 GB per mth…each GB after is about $1 to 1.50….however that’s up to the first 30 GB after I exceed 60 GB…once it hits the extra 30 GB….Bell stated to me that they won’t charge the $1 to 1.50 for each GB….(not my idea of a deal after paying over $30 for the extra 30 GB that you get the rest for free that month)…

+ Bilzac on September 22nd, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

So it isnt working for me, because I got my ps3 from outside Canada….since I wanted a launch unit. Is there any patch you folks can release so that it can work on all ps3′s but JUST uses the IP to check the region the ps3 is in, because I dont want to buy a new ps3 to use netflix…please :(

+ BuGaMa on September 22nd, 2010 at 9:14 pm said:

Am i missing something here? The NetFlix link under what’s new is just a browser link and does nothing. How do I get this app? I got my PS3 in the US when I used to live there, but now I’m in Canada.

+ The_Wildfox on September 22nd, 2010 at 9:27 pm said:

October can’t get here fast enough. My Netflix disc stopped working on me two days ago, and I keep getting this message: This video cannot be played (80029940). Luckily for me, I ordered a Wii disc for backup.

+ GraemeBennett on September 23rd, 2010 at 1:40 am said:

I have a working Netflix.ca account (tested on PC), I live in Canada, and I don’t see the icon under the XMB’s What’s New area — there’s just an ad for Netflix that launches the browser? What gives? Get it together, Sony, please!

+ SlackerTD on September 23rd, 2010 at 4:59 am said:

@GraemeBennett: Go into that ad & you will be able to download the client for Netflix.

+ scorpio182 on September 23rd, 2010 at 5:53 am said:

bad selection, hope it improves :(

+ BuGaMa on September 23rd, 2010 at 6:49 am said:

I finally got the app. It wasn’t showing because I had a US PS3 account. I created a new user, signed up for PS network again, this time creating a Canadian account and then the link in What’s New showed up as an app download instead of a browser link.

+ front_line_-lp- on September 23rd, 2010 at 7:05 pm said:

Just got it and tried it out. It works Great! No major delays for loading and movies start fairly quickly. Limited on Content! Lots of Movies and shows still listed as not available. Wheres the HD?

+ GraemeBennett on September 23rd, 2010 at 9:57 pm said:

As BuGaMa notes, the fix for people (mostly those who got their system in the U.S.) who can’t access the Netflix download from the Netflix ad in the What’s New section is to create a new account with a Canadian address. As a bonus,I also saw a Playstation Store “video” tab for the first time in Canada! And Netflix streams very nicely.

+ BalramRules on September 24th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

yepee!
now UK, just need LoveFilm =D

+ lSINGHl on September 25th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

I just wanted to know if you can pay using PSN cards … or do you need a credit card to subscribe.

+ dalessl1 on September 27th, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

too bad the selection in canada SUCKS. so many movies and shows will show up in the search but you can only watch approx 2% of them

+ mouth62 on September 27th, 2010 at 9:36 pm said:

MTS internet in Manitoba provides “UNLIMITED” yes “UNLIMITED” internet service and if I am capped by MTS I will see them in court,to have them redefine “UNLIMITED”for the Judge,myself and the rest of their subscribers.

+ denguy69 on September 29th, 2010 at 8:39 pm said:

“Solid-Snake-Eyes | September 22nd, 2010 at 12:42 pm
I signed up for the trial, but the first movie I tried had a screwed up aspect ratio which made it unwatchable. It was 500 Days of Summer. Netflix, can you fix this movie? I certainly hope this was an isolated thing. It’s not my TV, the movie should have been showing black bars at the top & bottom but was stretched to fill the height of the screen.”

Same crap here.
A few different movies are stretched to fill the full height of my tv.

+ shooterami on September 29th, 2010 at 10:46 pm said:

Hello everyone. I haven’t been on the net for sometime now. My computer was fried during a storm. But finally thanks to some wonderful friends, I am able to return.
I am certainly glad about Netflix coming to Canada. It certainly will give many options for many individuals up North. Congrats to all of you.

+ Antares101 on October 4th, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

“Solid-Snake-Eyes | September 22nd, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Same crap here.
A few different movies are stretched to fill the full height of my tv.

===============

Same here, “Backdraft” also kept switching ratio while the movie was playing.

I searched everywhere and couldn’t find a function to switch manually between aspect ratio. :(

And another downvote for the poor selection!

+ stri on October 8th, 2010 at 8:08 pm said:

This service is just “alright” for me.

I love the possibilities though for now the content is limited, and there for disappointing.
Everything that comes to Canada seems short-changed it seems.
Just once I’d like to see nations other than the USA find some equal treatment.

I also wish the admins would FINALLY comment and let us know something constructive.
I swear, it’s like we’re asking for them to perform complex quantum mechanical algorithms or something.
Geesh!
So rarely do they actually post useful information…’tis utterly frustrating.

Hopefully the Netflix streaming database will improve soon.
Any word on this?

+ Coolflow on October 10th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Netflix for Canadians SUCK. The selection is the worst I’ve ever seen. I can watch newer movies on local tv stations for free. Netflix is never going to get any Canadian customers with crap like this.

+ towuzzi on October 18th, 2010 at 1:08 pm said:

when will all dis come to africa to be precise ghana netflix please come to ghana….

PAGE 1 2 3