Minecraft PS4

John Daly talks ProStroke Golf and PlayStation Move

John Daly's Avatar + Posted by John Daly on Oct 05, 2010 // Pro Golfer

John Daly here, wanting to give you a bit more information about my upcoming videogame coming out this week for the PlayStation 3, John Daly’s ProStroke Golf! It tees off tomorrow, October 5th, and I’m really excited for my first videogame to be coming out.

John Daly's ProStroke Golf for PS3 and PlayStation Move

When O-Games and Gusto Games approached me a while back asking me if I would endorse their next golfing game, I was a little hesitant. I’m not much of a videogame person myself (although my kids love them), and I didn’t want to put my name on something that I couldn’t be proud of. But after talking to everyone there, getting a sense of their passion and knowledge of the sport, and seeing what they were able to make by checking out their previous game, ProStroke Golf World Tour 2007, I was definitely interested. That game introduced an all-new mechanic called “ProStroke Mode” that took you into a first person perspective when you addressed the ball and made your swing. It was nothing like I had ever seen before in any other golf game and made a lot of sense. And once they told me about Sony’s new PlayStation Move control system and how it would work with my game and with ProStroke Mode, I was sold.

John Daly's ProStroke Golf for PS3 and PlayStation Move

The great thing about John Daly’s ProStroke Golf and the PlayStation Move is that it actually gets you up off the couch and swinging like you would with a real club. It may sound like the Wii, but after getting my hands on the game and playing it with the PlayStation Move controller, it’s so much more sophisticated and sensitive, it’s unbelievable. Your full swing is taken into account, and shaping your shots for draws and fades is as simple as adjusting your stance and closing or opening your wrists with the Move motion controller. You can also do other basic golf adjustments, such as tweaking your aim to account for wind, change the ball position in your stance for different loft…basically everything I do on the course, you can do right from your Move controller, and you get to look at your ball, the club head, your lie just like you do in real golf.

John Daly's ProStroke Golf for PS3 and PlayStation Move

To start, you should check out the tutorials that will not only explain the basic fundamentals of how to play the game, but also the basic fundamentals of real life golf shot-making. I laid down the voiceovers with the folks at O-Games to make sure that the principles laid out in the game could be applied by aspiring golfers to take with them to the course or the driving range. Golf is a great game, something I’ve devoted most of my life to, and if John Daly’s ProStroke Golf can cause a few people out there to go and play for real, I’ll be a happy man.

There’s a lot more to talk about with the game – the great narration by Sam Torrance and Peter Kessler, the great mix of fictional and world-famous courses such as Mystic Rock and the Belfry, my very own line of Loudmouth clothes being featured in the game – but I’ll leave that to the developers over at Gusto Games. Thanks for taking the time to read this blog post, and don’t forget to pick up John Daly’s ProStroke Golf this week on the PS3 from Walmart, Best Buy, GameStop and other great stores, and have the most realistic golfing experience without leaving your house!

+ Marsz85 on October 5th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

Looks interesting, will be sure to check it out when I get my Move on!

+ Dracorius on October 5th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

John, you are my hero! The game sounds crazy! I will be sure to scope it out.

John Daly's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on October 5th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

I know, right? We have a celebrity sighting on the PlayStation.Blog! (^_^)

+ UNCyrus on October 5th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

Congratulations on your first game John.

+ Jeigh on October 5th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

After the sheer immensity of the disappointment that was Tiger Woods ’11 (both looked and played like a Wii game), this should be a nice breath of fresh air. My only real issue… the pants. Those pants offend 3 out of my 7 senses. (Sight, Smell, Fashion. For those wondering, my 6th is Paranoia.)

+ NeoUltima on October 5th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

Daly > Woods

+ oWolfpacko on October 5th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

This game looks awesome how much will it be?

John Daly's Avatar

+ Greg Lanz on October 5th, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

John Daly’s ProStroke Golf will retail for $49.99. :o)

+ BananaFish on October 5th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

Hey, John, any chance we’ll get to play in the Beer Can Open tourney in your game?!?

+ viguru on October 5th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Congrats Mr. Daly! I’ll be getting this for my B.Day at the end of this month! :D

+ Curtisio on October 5th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

I can’t wait to see the reviews

+ dmc123 on October 5th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

Will there be a DEMO?

+ Lemmy_TwoPutt on October 5th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

How many courses does the game have? Are there going to be downloadable add-on courses? Or are we going to have to buy a new version every year to get new courses like the other (Tiger Wood) game? I like the first person view, that is something new and different.

John Daly's Avatar

+ Greg Lanz on October 5th, 2010 at 12:59 pm said:

Thanks Lemmy! There will be 12 courses at launch that feature a mixture of both fictional courses and real-life locales, such as The Belfry and Mystic Rock. We are planning to release DLC courses very soon, but I can’t give an official date at this time.

+ Cobra1 on October 5th, 2010 at 11:10 am said:

Thanks Mr Daly! I’ve been looking forward to this one and can’t wait to pick it up!

+ EggySong85 on October 5th, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

That first-person view feature? Yeah, you should be able to see that on your PSP so you can set it on the ground in front of your feet.

+ Se7enthSign on October 5th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

Wow, poor Tiger. He’s not even king of the video game golf world anymore. Day one buy for me.

+ forzanerazzurri on October 5th, 2010 at 11:56 am said:

Why not make it so we have the option to have the ProStroke mode shown on a PSP lying on the floor. Would make it more realistic.

+ joostin on October 5th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Can we smoke cigars on the fairway as John? Daly is the most colourful golfer this generation. Like a real-life Happy Gilmore. Always makes me smile seeing him play with his outrageous outfits and unorthodox attitude.

+ Chuckbait on October 5th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

@13, that would be cool (the psp feature) but of course won’t happen. Game looks interesting, hopefully there’ll be a demo.

+ LUGIEZ on October 5th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

John Daly shout out.. what’s up John! this game looks to surpass the half-baked attempt EA and Tiger Woods PGA golf 2011 at making their game work properly with the move. But have no fear finally a new golf game to try, looks to be more realistic to the sport too, pro shot mode, oh yea!

+ SmooshyKing on October 5th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

I’m confused why the developer says the motion and path are 1:1 when clearly the path of the club is on rails at all times.

He was twisting and moving the controller all over the place but the club kept swinging down exactly through the center of the ball in a perfect arc every time.

Tiger Woods has the same problem. It doesn’t reproduce your swing even close to 1:1. It might reproduce the velocity. And perhaps even the club angle. But I can swing the Move like a baseball bat and it still connects perfectly with the ball.

+ KSPRAYDAD on October 5th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Unless I can beat the carp out of Bob Barker I’ll stick to HSG for now.

+ MeltTech on October 5th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

It looks like you change clubs with R1. How is that possible with PS Move?

+ I3rand0 on October 5th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

John Daly isn’t sober enough at this hour to write a coherent sentence. Nice try Sony PR Department.

+ Haskell420 on October 5th, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

love golf games. I love Tiger’s games, and I actually liked the previous Pro Stroke golf, & John Daly as a golfer and person,(he’s super nice) If he’s taking this seriously then the ones making the game have the potential to make it that much better then Tigers’ PGA.

I just wish they could make a Golf game, with NO LOADING.
Just make a 1st person shooter golf game. Let the character walk around, go to the pro shop, walk to the driving range and walk to the tee box. Hit your shot, and walk the course. If they can do that, AND THEY CAN! It beings another layer of realism to it.

I think it was in Tiger’s PGA 2006 or 2007, you went back in time, to battle the legends)at 1 point, Tiger’s in game character, actually talked to MY player! They chirped back n forth, I was super excited! That was the most interaction between them the rest of the game. But from then on, I always still hope and pray, that someone does this soon. It’s annoying to LOAD every single hole up.

If they can make sandbox games where you can walk all over, enter buildings, stores etc, with ZERO loading, they CAN do this, and when they do, they change the golf game forever, especially IF it’s done right!!

Haskell

+ judalation on October 5th, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

nice… is Tiger playable?

+ Haskell420 on October 5th, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

VERY IMPORTANT PS,

PLEASE ADD A CHARACTER COUNTER ASAP! I’m so sick and tired of pressing SUBMIT, seeing that message & when you go back to edit, all you wrote is wiped clean! ADD THE DARN CHARACTER COUNTER, PLEASE! Yes, sometimes answers or comments are short and to the point, some other times, things need to be explained.

So SONY BLOG PEOPLE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PELASE, TALK to the higher ups, and PLEASE add a “character counter” so we know WHEN we have typed too much.

Haskell420

+ mprunty on October 5th, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

Really looking forward to picking this game up today. You rock John Daly.

+ k280 on October 5th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

Hope its better then Tiger move demo.

+ NeoMahi on October 5th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

If they make a Hot Shots golf with PlayStation Move and it works perfectly, then I’ll get that. As for anything else…. Nope.

+ NeoMahi on October 5th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

I mean, look at those goofy pants. “Golf requires to things. Goofy pants and a fat ass.” – Happy Gilmore.

+ adolson on October 5th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

I am not a big golfing guy, but a great demo could convince me to drop cash for a good Move-supported game. Tiger Woods was better than it looked at E3, but it feels like it’s missing something. I dunno. Maybe it’s not – I’m not a big golfing guy, I’m just a big guy.

+ nickjd331 on October 5th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

I’m looking forward to trying a demo on the EU store. The move support sounds like something I must try.

+ bbonds_007 on October 5th, 2010 at 2:54 pm said:

How would John Daly know if the game is accurate enough to make good shots when he can’t make any in real life if he is sober.

+ S-E-G on October 5th, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

i’d see this game at 29.99
good luck selling this

+ black26ss on October 5th, 2010 at 9:17 pm said:

look like a good game!!

+ Syndicate3 on October 6th, 2010 at 12:11 am said:

This PR write-up is hilarious

I love how he first says hes not interested in games, only to carry-on to describe this “all-new” feature that hes never seen before in video games? I mean, really? That last bit sounds like what a game-reviewer would say.

Good job Sid I hope John approved

+ Thundernoggin on October 6th, 2010 at 6:04 am said:

Is this game actually out? Walmart.com is not showing it. Best Buy is backordered. GameStop is still showing preorder. And Amazon.com sent me an email a few days ago saying they didn’t have the item and it’s currently showing shipping in a month or two.

+ InsaneDiego on October 6th, 2010 at 8:46 am said:

@37, I saw the same thing. Nobody has it. The original release date was published as Oct. 15 and it seemed to move to Oct. 5. Maybe that has something to do with it. I’ll keep an eye out for it though and I’m very interested in checking it out.

+ afewAFEWafew on October 6th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

I love the game, but with a real golf grip on the Move your left thumb ends up smack dab on the PS button. Same with the Tiger Woods game. If they made a way to attach the Navigation controller you might also be able to get a real grip.

+ walksaw on October 7th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Has anybody seen this games in stores? I checked all the box stores and gamestop as well. Can’t find it anywhere. And today is oct 7. Very odd.

+ DEEK007 on October 7th, 2010 at 3:57 pm said:

I am having the same problem, I can’t find the game anywhere (Chicago, IL). I checked Walmart, Best Buy and Gamestop

+ walksaw on October 8th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

I finally found it. The only store that has it here in cincinnati is Bestbuy. So try Bestbuy

+ teeare on October 11th, 2010 at 11:53 am said: