PS4-Watch_Dogs

Sideway coming exclusively to PS3 in 2011, first concept art

Scott Simpson's Avatar + Posted by Scott Simpson on Oct 06, 2010 // Studio Director, Playbrains

Greetings PlayStation.Blog! I’m the studio director of Playbrains, and I’m here today to announce the awesomesauce that is Sideway, a unique adventure platformer set in and around the oh-so-gritty streets of New York City. The characters and story have been birthed from a fantastic world created by the quasi-evil geniuses at Fuel Industries and W!ldbrain.

Sideway for PS3 Poster

To that point, we are inviting folks to come to New York Comic Con on October 8th (at 2:15 in Room 1A21) where we will officially announce the title as a Sony Online Entertainment exclusive to the PlayStation Network. Yes, that means that I am announcing the announcement here, which I guess makes this a “pre-announcement” to you PlayStation.Blog readers!

Sideway for PS3

We are in sooper-deep development at the moment (please send pizza and beer), which means that the belts are coming off and we’re settling into our coding chairs for winter in order to get things all sparkly for a 2011 launch. We’re not ready to spill the beans on some of the really cool features and unique gameplay elements in the game just yet, so until then, take a gander at some early concept pieces and composites from the game that should give you an idea of the world you will be tooling around in as an underground street artist in NYC. It will be an awesome game and we’re excited to be making it.

Sideway for PS3

Come on over and follow us at Twitter.com/Playbrains if you want up-to-the minute news on concept art, development updates, and to learn what Canadian celebrities we are standing behind in grocery store lines.

Sideway for PS3

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ Coolwater on October 6th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

Cool art style! Look forward to seeing it in action.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

Thanks, we do, too.

The guys at Fuel and Wildbrain have been awesome to work with, and the concept stuff primarily comes from them.

+ Renansl on October 6th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

Dear Lord, please, let it have ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. Thank you.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

We haven’t ruled it out, yet (which is why we’re sneakily not announcing the final feature set), but i already know online MP is going to be a stretch. We’ll be play testing to see what works and what doesn’t, of course, but we definitely would like it to have some MP elements, even if it’s just couch co-op. Get them fingers crossed…

+ Axecution on October 6th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

Pictures arent loading for some reason. Links are broken. lol oh well. I’ll check it out when you fix it though. :D

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 6:40 pm said:

Now I am paranoid since I missed @40.

As such, I am going to comment on this just so when I reload the page I can see “X Comments, X Replies” and know that I am covered and haven’t missed anybody.

Even those who have fixed their picture problems.

+ Axecution on October 6th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

Errr, k, nevermind, maybe it’s just me…

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

And here I was all ready to give you the “it’s not me, it’s you” routine.

+ KwietStorm on October 6th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

Looks cool. Maybe some similarities with jet set radio?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

None that our lawyers will admit to.

+ Surfaced on October 6th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

Looks promising! Will any of these images resemble in-game activity?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

We’re trying to get it as close to what you see here as possible. We’re building on the Emergent Lightspeed engine, and it’s allowing us more freedom on the art than we might have expected. It is looking pretty sweet already.

+ DarthMoose1986 on October 6th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

Wow, can’t wait, if theres one thing I don’t mind is getting some bad bum exclusive games, look kinda like scott pilgrim meets little big planet meets the warriors. :)

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

Thanks…can we use that on the PS Store description?

+ Einhander138 on October 6th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

Looks cool, but if it’s not on a disc, it’s not worth buying.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

Boooo! I know there are lots of reasons why a physical disc is desirable, but speaking as an indie studio, there is just no way we could get this game out to retail. PSN gives us a ton of freedom to make compelling and immersive games over download. I wouldn’t be so quick to judge our book by it’s (lack of) cover, so to speak. Ha!

+ BlooodyCow on October 6th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Will the game be playable? I will be at the New York City Comic-con this Saturday….

Hay Jeff,
Will there be a PlayStation booth at Comic-on in NYC?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

Sorry, way too early for public playable. But there will be punch and pie at the panel*.

*- note: Punch and pie will not be served.

+ VincentVendetta on October 6th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

I just love the amazing artstyle in here. I mean… Jesus!

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Yes, the art is very sacrelicious, indeed.

+ mrpaulryan on October 6th, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

Cool concept art, but I don’t understand what the game is supposed to be.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

It’s an “Action Platformer”, so lots of platforming mixed with combat and puzzle solving.

In short, it is supposed to be awesome.

+ spatsnaz on October 6th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

Wonderful visual style. I love it.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

Thanks. It only gets better from here, i promise.

+ BlooodyCow on October 6th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

@Scott Simpson
thanks for the reply Scotty :)
What kind of pie will there be?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Invisible Pumpkin.

+ SolidSnakeSSx on October 6th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

Will it be 2D or 3D in terms of gameplay?

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on October 6th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Wow looks like a cross between LBP and GTA4. were those two games of any inspiration to you guys? Need a great Beta Tester. I’m currently seeking employment but would gladly volunteer for the position. Work for Free. Considering you are all “Sooper-Deep” in Development. get it “Sooper”. Sounds like I’d be sooper-perfect.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

*noted. I’ll let the s00per HR folks know…though I think our Goomen need to be 00ber.

+ UNCyrus on October 6th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

“Exclusive”, it’s the new Black.

On topic: I love the artstyle, you can tell there’s a lot of your collective personalities thrown into it. I’m looking forward to see how this game evolves.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:53 pm said:

Precisely why i can wear this title with any pair of shoes.

+ EJ25VF34GD7 on October 6th, 2010 at 2:52 pm said:

Cool artstyle. Hopefully there’s a good game behind it! You know, that one element that gamers really want. :)

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Agreed, my friend. We’re working on it. We promise the gameplay will end up being at least 38% awesomer than the art style (measured by volume).

+ Axecution on October 6th, 2010 at 2:53 pm said:

@4, Scott Simpson-
Lol yeah sorry about that. My internet likes to suck and stuff. xD

Anyway, now that i’ve seen it, it looks pretty awesome. About as awesome as concept art can be lol.
Definately keep updating on the blog, cause from the sounds (and looks) or it, i [and other people] want moar “action platforming” games. :D
Any possibility of a more in-depth description? xD Is it more like Uncharted, or is it more like Shank? or is it more like… etc.
lol any hints? >.> pl0x?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

See @21. I suck.

+ MLZ911 on October 6th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Looks cool. Loving all these indie games on PSN (we need more of them imo). Can’t wait to try this out in 2011.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:58 pm said:

Good on ya! Now we just nee to work on @8…

+ ACEITMAN on October 6th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

it looks cool what games have they done before plz thanks

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

For downloadable console and PC, Playbrains put out the “trust me, it’s awesome” “Madballs in…Babo:Invasion” last year. Of course, lots of our folks have worked on great games in past lives as well…

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

Hints, like Jameson’s, get me in trouble.

Keep your eyes and ears open…we’ll start dropping more hints soon enough now that we “exist”…

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

Oops. That was for you, @18…

+ Globox_82 on October 6th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

look cool

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

In these shorts, you bet i do.

Oh, wait– you meant the game. Yes, the game looks cool, too.

+ Axecution on October 6th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

@21: Lame. I wanna know what this is. rofl.
alright fine. xD

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

See? Your curiosity is officially piqued. Job well done, PSBlog…

+ slyinsano on October 6th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

Is this a 3D platformer, or a sidescroller? I’m confused because all you said to someone above was “Yes”. Lol, nice artwork btw.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:35 pm said:

Yes. And thanks!

+ GAM3R_16 on October 6th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

I’m loving the bunny vomiting half naked rabbit very original I gotta say :D

btw When might we be able to see gameplay?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

The half-naked, vomiting bunny is, of course, meant to symbolize freedom. And he’s darn cute to boot.

Gameplay is coming. We need it to look pretty representative of the final product before we’ll release it.

+ MOPARFUL99 on October 6th, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

OHH looks so good.. I’m a ratchet and clank fanboy admittedly.. I love platformers and if this plays anything like R&C then consider me sold.. I just beg that you all add online co-op please! I was elated to learn that ratchet and clank all 4 one will have online co-op.. I’ve never had so much fun then games I can hop online and play with a buddy… Sony get it done!!

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:44 pm said:

We all love RnC as well, so you are sure to see some influence from it in the game.

See @2 for appropriate feature waffling…

+ DrApollo on October 6th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

This looks fantastic! Wildbrain is good people.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

True and truer.

+ Hanzee on October 6th, 2010 at 3:28 pm said:

If that game will be just half that hilarious than you and your replys are, i definitely gonna buy it…

I just love that fresh and unconventional game style!

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

The good news I that actual talented professionals are working on the game, so that part is easy.

+ cwbygmer on October 6th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

I’m really liking the art style and it looks like it will be a lot of fun and I will more than likely pick this up.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

I love you.

+ Rocker4Life634 on October 6th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

Looks a bit like LBP :\

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Only insofar as its awesomeness, I can assure you.

F’rinstance, we have no boys made of sacks.

+ King4Ransom on October 6th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

Looks interesting. In the second picture, the character on the bottom left kind of looks like those vinyl toy figures.
I hope the game is geared a little towards the more “mature” gamer.
is there an estimated price range for this yet?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

It is definitely not intended to be a kiddie game there will definitely be a lot of edge to the game you can’t see, yet.

As for pricing, I am suggesting $187.50, but I think SOE might cut that down a bit before release

+ valleyshrew on October 6th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

I’ve gotten so bored of gaming, everything looks the same I’ve done it all before and it’s rare when a game catches my eye. I guess it’s normal when you play hundreds of games, but there’s so much room for variety in level design and I’m so bored of what’s on offer. There’s so few well developed settings these days and the 90′s were a lot more creative. I’m so sick of generic platforming level design. But this looks really intriguing, I’m liking the new york theme.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:06 pm said:

Glad we’re here to talk you down from the gaming ledge!

We’re all avid gamers too, and we are really trying to make different games that we want to play.

That being said, I do think there’s a lot that’s “different” and cool out there, especially in the indie/downloadable space (take *that* @6!).

Hope we live up to your expectations. You can kick me in the shins if we don’t…

+ zekececil14 on October 6th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

@30
Ehh, not even close. I don’t see craft materials or knit little guys anywhere.
Is/Will this be part of the Play, Create, Share genre? It looks good enough and it looks like it could work.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

Nah. We’re more of a “Play. Destroy. Brag” kind of game.

We never were good with sharing toys as children.

+ slickjones on October 6th, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

Glad that adventure games are still being made, can’t wait to see more of this, art style looks wicked.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

We were actually going for “wikkid awesome” for the art style, but then realized we weren’t from Boston, so it got tones down to “wicked”. Hope it’s as adventure-y as you desire!

+ zekececil14 on October 6th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

O yeah, if this is even possible on a downloadable title, please ( I MEAN REALLY! PLEASE!) Implement custom soundtracks off our PS3′s HDD. Thats kinda a big thing. It makes a game 10% better! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE with a sideways S on top! =B

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

10%, eh? I’ll make sure it’s in the wish list. I promise if we have >= 11% of the budget left when the higher priority features are done, it will be in the game. Otherwise, no promises…

+ zekececil14 on October 6th, 2010 at 4:00 pm said:

Pay very GOOD attention to comment #35! XD

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

Was that the one about the resurgence of Communism in the Eastern Bloc? If so, don’t worry, I got it.

+ cwbygmer on October 6th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

@ 32 it definitely looks original and I know that they have spent a lot of time on the level design just form the pictures. As long as the controls are solid and frame rate is good i can see this game being a hit

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

I take it back, @29. I have a new crush.

Wait, you’re the same dude!

Now I really am in love…

+ Jetup on October 6th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

Coolio. This looks awesome
Uhhhh, is that bunny throwing up pink…blood…?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

It’s totally a Chordata Rorschach-type deal. What
    Di you see in the pink bunny vomit?

+ zekececil14 on October 6th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

You know what? I’m just gonna say it! This looks AWESOME, GREAT, WONDERFULL!

PS. #35 had a good question. *teehee* (^-^)

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

@35 is a liar and a scoundrel*. Do not listen to @35.

* – note: neither of these things are (probably) true.

+ zekececil14 on October 6th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

LMAO @ Scott Simpson! You must be related to Homer Simpson because you sir are funny!

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

We are only related by looks and physique.

I am, however, slightly less yellow and have five fingers on each hand.

Totally different dudes.

+ jaz350z on October 6th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

I really appreciate the fact that you’re spending lots of time answering the community questions. Thank You :)

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

You’re very much welcome.

What is potentially 8% more impressive is that I am doing this in the dark on a phone at a GDC party in Austin. I am shocked that I have not been punched in the face for being “that guy” who spends the whole party texting away in a corner. I hate those guys…which is to say, I hate me.

+ favian on October 6th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

great art style & character design are some of the things i look for in games before i buy them, this looks amazing. Also looking forward to that new game by ‘thatgamecompany’. That also looks beautiful. Hope sony is locked in an exclusive partnership with them.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:55 pm said:

Thanks for the comments. and I will pass your feedback on to thatgamecompany. I know thebigcheese there very well (that being said, I know hisnephewthestockboy a little better than him).

+ plaztiksyke on October 6th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

I’m loving the art style, assuming you can keep it at the same quality (1080p) for release. (Streaming in higher-res textures based on distance from camera would make it even better than Deathspank, which already looked pretty great.)

Another vote for local co-op :)

What kind of puzzles? Like adventure-game puzzles where you talk to characters, gain/combine/use items, etc? Or move the boxes to create a staircase and stand-on-the-switch puzzles? or both? I prefer the former, as it usually makes for puzzles that have more cohesion with the story.

Are there any gay/trans characters in the game? playable or non-playable?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 6:36 pm said:

OOPS! I blame my phone (and/or my stupidity).

Ummm…yep, trying to make it as graphically rich as we can and still hit a minimum of 30fps.

*noted on the couch co-op (my fave, too!)

As for the puzzles, you’ll have to wait and see, but it’s likely that there will be more of the latter than the former (there I go disappointing you again…)

The rosters are not set, so I can’t say for sure, yet. I can say that there will only be a limited number of playables, though.

Sorry for the tardiness! TOTALLY TECHNOLOGY’S FAULT*.

* – not true. Scott’s fault.

+ zekececil14 on October 6th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

@37/Scotts reply
Please make more appearances on the blog because you are too funny! As I said earlier in comment #40.

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:55 pm said:

I may be funny, but smell isn’t everything.

+ zekececil14 on October 6th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

Wait! Are those tiny pink bunnies in the pink bunny vommit?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

Paging Dr. Freud…Paging Dr. Sigmund Freud to @44, please…

+ Djryuzaki on October 6th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

Wow, replying to everyone, eh? Game definitely has captured my interest, be sure to give it a demo so I can give it a spin when you guys are ready to release it ;)

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:57 pm said:

Not everyone.

F’rinstance, I am not replying to this comment.

Wait, what did I just do?

SON OF A…

+ DIGGY305 on October 6th, 2010 at 4:48 pm said:

Can you guys consider having Home Rewards

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:58 pm said:

Definitely possible. We think Home is an under-utilized part of the PlayStation platform. There’s lots of fun we could have there.

+ Thrasher20 on October 6th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

This looks pretty sweet

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

Wait ’til we release some gameplay footage. You’ll go all the way up to “schweet”.

+ Ramage on October 6th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

+1 follower on twitter. As plenty of others have pointed out it *looks* neat so hopefully you can keep me interested when you finally decide to announce more about the features/gameply. I noticed one person mentioned online multiplayer but please please PLEASE make sure you don’t abandon local multiplayer for online multiplayer (see reasons I refuse to buy dead rising 2). The vomiting bunny reminds me of Zim and nearly everything else just screams vinyl.

Also, you say 2011 but I didn’t catch anything more specific. Can we get a specific quarter or maybe even a first/last half of the year?

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

We’ll definitely try to fit in everything we can, but we are restricted by budgets (of course) and gameplay. It’s possible that the game doesn’t play well with multiple, though as I said before, we’re going to try it out and see how it feels. Just setting expectations, my friend.

Hey, give us 10% of the budget of DR2 and you’ll definitely get online multiplayer!

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

Wait– that’s all you guys got?!?

*shadowboxes in corner

*raises arms in triumph

*returns to puzzled looks at the bar

+ Scott Simpson on October 6th, 2010 at 5:29 pm said: