No Man's Sky

Marvel PS3 Games: Revealing Tomorrow’s NY Comic Con Reveals

Chris Baker's Avatar + Posted by Chris Baker on Oct 08, 2010 // Manager, Licensed Games, Marvel Studios

Hey there, True Believers! This is Chris Baker in Marvel’s games division (some of you might remember me from the Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine, back when PS2 ruled all), and I’m here to tell you that there’s never been a busier, more announcement-heavy week in the history of Marvel videogames. New York Comic Con is in full swing now, and tomorrow morning’s Marvel Games panel at 10:45 a.m. in Room 1A06 is going to be chock-full of reveals and further information about other new information already released this week, like the announcements of Captain America: Super Soldier and X-Men: Destiny.

In all, we’re talking about eight total games at the panel, seven of which involve the PS3. Here’s a game-by-game rundown of all the new information you can expect in the order we’ll be discussing them at the panel:

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions for PS3

EXCLUSIVE NEW INFO for Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions: Yeah, I know you’ve already played this one (you have, haven’t you?!…), but we’re not done with Beenox’s awesome trip through four Spidey universes yet. In addition to having Creative Director Thomas Wilson answer some lingering questions posed by the Marvel gaming diehards at HeroHQ.com, we’ve also got another revelation about the game for you.

Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet for PS3 (PSN)

Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet: Creative Director Jason Gholston of developer Griptonite joins us for THQ’s first PS3 outing for the Squaddies. This is the kind of Marvel game that kids will dig while their Marvel-loving parents play with them and appreciate the humorous take on an iconic Marvel story they grew up with.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds for PS3

EXCLUSIVE REVEALS for Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds: You might have heard something about this one. In addition to chatting with Writer Frank Tieri and Producer Ryota Niitsuma, we’ll also be unveiling two new Marvel characters. And because I like you people, I’ll go ahead and give you a couple of PlayStation.Blog exclusive clues: One of these Marvel folks is a returning character, one is brand new as a playable character not only to fighting games, but to videogames period. Any guesses?…

(Side note: Within the next hour, Capcom will announce two new Capcom characters of their own during their MvC3-specific panel, which begins at 7:15 EDT. If you’re reading this, and you’re not already in line or seated for it, you’re probably too late…)

Thor: God of Thunder for PS3

Thor: God of Thunder: Thor’s first ever solo adventure is coming from Sega and Liquid Entertainment, and Producer Matt Powers will be on hand to talk about things like working with Matt Fraction on the game-specific story, where the game will take us, and what separates it from other action games.

Captain America: Super Soldier for PS3

EXCLUSIVE NEW INFO for Captain America: Super Soldier: OK, I’ll admit there isn’t a specified reveal here (hey, we just announced the game three days ago), but we’re talking to the game’s writer, Christos Gage, so you’re bound to learn a lot more about the story. Brandon Gill from developer Next Level Games will also be on hand to talk about the first new game with “Captain America” in the title in a long time.

X-Men Destiny for PS3

EXCLUSIVE NEW INFO for X-Men: Destiny: Like with Captain America, you just learned about this fall 2011 Activision game, and while there’s nothing exactly planned in terms of revelations, we’re talking to the game’s writer, Mike Carey. (If you don’t know who he is, you need to get back into reading your X-Men: Legacy comics, my friend!) I know a lot of you are wondering exactly what the game actually is, and this panel might just shed a little more light on the subject for you.

And finally…

Marvel Mysteries!

AN EXCLUSIVE GAME ANNOUNCEMENT! That’s all I can say. Sorry. Well, OK, I’ll give you this to chew on anyway: This is something I’ve been wanting for as long as I’ve been at Marvel, and it’s finally really happening. Maybe you have a good guess, maybe you don’t. But, as I said on Twitter last week, the game is so likeable, only people who hate fun won’t want it. Trust me.

That’s all I’ve got for now, friends. If you can make it to the panel, great. If you can’t, well, at least you have a solid rundown on all of the great stuff Marvel games have in store for you over the next year.

Well…not all of it…

PAGE 1 2

+ Rinaldus91 on October 8th, 2010 at 3:36 pm said:

Oh snap, I truly have no idea what’s going to be announced but goddamn am I excited. Nothing would get me more pumped than a new Ultimate Spider-Man, but that looks unlikely what with Shattered Dimensions just having been released.

Sooo…. A Marvel MMO?

+ Faust_VI on October 8th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

Im super stoked for that Captain America game! Looks to be EPIC! Also cant wait to learn more characters from MVC3!

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Thanks! We’re excited for them all, too.

+ Trixzter7 on October 8th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

A W E S O M E !

+ King4Ransom on October 8th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

Thor looks like its going to be a quality game.
I’ll be waiting to hear more about it.

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 4:00 pm said:

You’ll definitely hear tons more about it in the coming months.

+ kingpsyz on October 8th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

A Deadpool FPS?

+ silverdoe_joker on October 8th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

Marvel Universe Online, on PC & PS3 I supposed. Suck on that, Microsoft. You blew it!

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 4:01 pm said:

Interesting guess. You’ll know if you’re right in about 17 hours…

+ digitalman123 on October 8th, 2010 at 3:47 pm said:

More MvC3 characters? Awesome sauce!

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 4:01 pm said:

Any guesses?

+ DarthMoose1986 on October 8th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

Omg god, were getting an mmo marvel game, that has to be what your hinting ?!?!?!

+ Marston43 on October 8th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

I can’t wait to here more about all these games.

+ gor1llap1mp on October 8th, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

So is that an exclusive GAME or an exclusive ANNOUNCEMENT?

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

“GAME” would be an adjective in this case… :-)

+ Vabor on October 8th, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

Love what Marvel’s been doing lately with their licensed games.

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 4:06 pm said:

Thanks! Hopefully you’ll dig these games as much or even more.

+ Korghano on October 8th, 2010 at 3:57 pm said:

I’ve been MASSIVELY disappointed with the level of quality Sega pumps out for these Marvel movie adaptations, so I’ll be giving Iron Man and Captain America a wide berth.

I’m interested in seeing what you announce with regard to that last mystery title (Marvel Universe Online… finally?). If it’s being handled by Sega though…

+ PullusPardusUS on October 8th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

Marvel for your own sake stop working with Activision and try a better publisher (EA!)

+ SolidSnakeSSx on October 8th, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

The exclusive game announcement is obviously an online remake of the old X Men 6 player arcade game. Or at least I wish it was.

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 9th, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

This. :-)

+ irishmile on October 8th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

SEGA did such a horrible job on the HULK game I have a really hard time believing they will do any better with Capt America… It was really heart breaking.

+ I3rand0 on October 8th, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

New MvC 3 characters are:

Nathan Rad Spencer
Arthur
MODOK
Magneto

+ ZAANOS on October 8th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Hope to see more MARVEL non movie tie in games. There’s so many awesome characters and story lines that would make great games.

+ LightAce on October 8th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Nathan Spencer and Sir Arthur confirmed!

+ Capt-Fury- on October 8th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

hey Chris, how about some marvel avatars for PSN?

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

That’s definitely on our radar. Maybe one of these days. I’d love to see them myself!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on October 8th, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

I can’t wait for MvC3

+ V_Ben on October 8th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

Wow. Rad, Arthur, MODOK and Magneto! Hell of a list. Now, all it needs is Stan Lee as a playable character :D

+ Haskell420 on October 8th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

To whomw it may concern,
There is a PROBLEM with 1 of your previous topics, the LBP Thread, well when you click on it, it shows MOST of the info on the blog, but there is NO mention of the BETA, let alone, giving anyone a chance to reply to the thread itself.

Please let your tech people know that there is a problem with the following thread.

LittleBigPlanet Update: Bounce Pads, LBP Bloggies, LBP2 Beta Update
10.08 // posted by Mark Valledor

Haskell420

+ BlooodyCow on October 8th, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

Is this an Exclusive game for the PS3 or just an Exclusive game announcement.

Why they hell hasn’t there been a Deadpool game as yet? Deadpool is just a cool Marvel Character that deserve his own game instead of making stupid appearance in other marvel games.

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 8th, 2010 at 6:11 pm said:

The game announcement is exclusive to the panel.

+ Rollin666z on October 8th, 2010 at 5:52 pm said:

How is Magneto a new playable character when I was just using him in MvC2 I bought from the PlayStation Network.

+ Zezzler on October 8th, 2010 at 6:02 pm said:

I REALLY cannot wait to get my hands of MvC3!!!

+ skull2cool on October 8th, 2010 at 6:36 pm said:

i bet the new marvel game is either marvel online for ps3 and pc (please please please god please) or MUA 3

+ M3wThr33 on October 8th, 2010 at 6:55 pm said:

I’m glad Disney bought Marvel, only so in the future, it’ll be less likely Sega ever touches Marvel games ever again.

+ FearMonkey on October 8th, 2010 at 7:03 pm said:

I’d love to get Shattered Dimensions and X-Men Destiny but their Activision titles and I don’t want any of my money going to Bobby Kotick. Sorry.

Definitely looking forward to MvC3 though. Hopefully we get more female fighters announced. The game is a sausage fest so far. :p

As for Captain America, count me in. Looks awesome so far. :)

+ FearMonkey on October 8th, 2010 at 7:04 pm said:

Darn, used “their” instead of “they’re”. I’m tired. :(

+ SykoTech on October 8th, 2010 at 7:09 pm said:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is so bought.
X-Men Destiny…I hope it’s not a MMO. Action RPG or something plz.
Secret announcement….Deadpool game? He is all the rage now.
And I still need to buy Shattered Dimensions.

Good stuff lately, Marvel. Keep it up.

+ V1per2029 on October 8th, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

Sweet deal! That all looks amazing, tho im not much on the Thor character personally just that screenshot makes me wanna give it a shot! Cant wait to see more.

+ TheGuardianFID on October 8th, 2010 at 10:18 pm said:

Marvel MMO, I’m calling it and all I’ve gotta say is, HELL YEAH, way to go Sony and Marvel!!! 8)

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on October 8th, 2010 at 10:50 pm said:

I would buy some Spidey avatars for PSN, make it happen! It’s free money, come on.

+ spideyal on October 9th, 2010 at 1:45 am said:

I think we need some Spiderman/Marvel Universe Avatars on the PSN!
Ryu is fantastic and all, but I think a nice Amazing Spider-Man or Noir Spider-Man Avatar (or both) would go perfectly with my user name. ;)

+ PayneKiller1509 on October 9th, 2010 at 4:58 am said:

Marvel Universe Online would be the best thing I could hear. Much rather than that the DC thing Marvel characters are simply the best.
I agree with the others about the Spider-Man avatars, maybe even a LBP Spidey avatar for my PSN :) or I would also gladly take Cable and Bishop avatars too

+ BalramRules on October 9th, 2010 at 5:30 am said:

just imagine if this game were a ps3 exclusive, we’d probably have 90 different spidermanz, well better graphics, perhaps online-play, and sooo much more =D

+ EmperorLawlight on October 9th, 2010 at 6:57 am said:

Slapping the word exclusive just to attract people’s attention, eh.

+ maddymad on October 9th, 2010 at 8:56 am said:

I would love to see Thor in action.

Chris Baker's Avatar

+ Chris Baker on October 9th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

Congratulations to SolidSnakeSSx for predicting the announcement — Konami’s X-Men arcade game for PSN!

+ syk1288 on October 9th, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

Congrats to SSSSx for the prediction.

+ Vagnar on October 9th, 2010 at 9:47 am said:

Would anyone care to direct me and others to where we can find up-to-date information on the panel? Curiosity is killing the cat. :(

+ GlowOfDarkness on October 9th, 2010 at 9:52 am said:

great thanks!

+ CASTERTROY on October 9th, 2010 at 10:03 am said:

Wow no marvel universe disappointed… :(

+ CASTERTROY on October 9th, 2010 at 10:08 am said:

Marvel universe online make it happen that will be big…

+ syk1288 on October 9th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

@Vagner: Try Marvel.com, Kotaku.com, Ign.com

+ Kedaro on October 9th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

I’m guessing it’s what any marvel fan would have dreamed up to be the definitive Marvel Game, it’s gotta’ be an MMO, kinda’ nice for you guys to wait until DC Universe had it’s spotlight to announce, otherwise this would have stolen almost all sales from them, you guys are like the generous but clear and present industry leader, of comic books, kinda’ like Sony + Videogames.

+ df2506 on October 9th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

I thought Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions was great! Is the new DLC just the Cosmic outfit or will there be more DLC including that or even after that?

X-men: Destiny sounds interesting. So do the Captain America & Thor games.

And of course I’m very excited about the X-men Arcade game! I remember playing that at an arcade. It was really fun.

+ psuser95 on October 9th, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

M.O.D.O.K. for MvC3? Seriously? That guy just gives me the creeps. I approve of Magneto, though. (Why haven’t you listened to my pleas for Punisher and Ghost Rider?)

+ psuser95 on October 9th, 2010 at 6:33 pm said:

Also, I’m not touching SEGA’s Marvel games. SEGA hasn’t made a good game in years, with the notable exception of publishing Platinum Games’ excellent titles.

+ LordRaoh on October 9th, 2010 at 6:49 pm said:

a game based on Marvels Secret Wars would be nice..

planet hulk as well would be a nice follow up to the hulk ultimate destruction game

no one seems to care like i do but i would love to see more comic books and a movie and a game based on Cloak and Dagger.. two of my favorite characters really, i love their combo/chemistry.. always been a big fan and i think they would translate well into a movie.. a game would work with either co op or solo play where you have to switch back and forth between the two..

marvel mmo would be pretty sweet..

PAGE 1 2