PS4-Infamous

ModNation Monday: Family Guy Drives ModNation!

Ramone Russell's Avatar + Posted by Ramone Russell on Oct 11, 2010 // Community Manager, SCEA San Diego Studios

ModNation Racers for PS3: ModNation Mondays

Greetings and happy ModNation Monday everyone. Ramone Russell here with another ModNation Monday update!

Family Guy Drives ModNation!

As we announced last week, today we are honored to have some of the great talent behind the hit show Family Guy on the Artist Spotlight! Director Dominic Polcino, Assistant Director Joe Vaux, and Storyboard Artist Raul Guerra make sure we are all rolling in our seats with every new episode — not a bad gig at all, right? Each of these guys are artists within their own right as well, and they have a lot to say not just about the amazing show they work on, but on their own work and “making it” in their industry. It was an honor to see what they could do once they had a chance to play ModNation Racers, and have them on the PlayStation.Blog today to answer your questions!

Check out the video below to see how much fun they had, then read on below to learn their personal stories.

Dominic Polcino

Has been one of the directorial hands behind such hits as The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Family Guy – including the Star Wars spoofs “Blue Harvest” and “Something Something Something Dark Side.” “Lovesick Fool” is his first foray into doing animation his way. This time it’s personal. Lovesick Fool is a short animated film following the ongoing frustrations and disappointments of its creator in the area of love. At times funny, poetic, profound. Or just sad? You be the judge. The genesis of the idea was a series of personal underground comic books which Dominic wrote and drew. Those are available at his website and in most comic book stores in LA, and a few in New York. Polcino studied animation at the UCLA Animation Workshop. See a sample on www.funnyordie.com.

Joe Vaux

I’ve been working on Family Guy since it’s rebirth in 2004. I’ve worked my way up through the ranks from being a Storyboard revisionist to one of the assistant directors. My director, Dominic Bianchi, and I were responsible for “Brian and Stewie,” “The Big Man on Hippocampus,” and “The Man with Two Brians” to name a few.

Outside of the office, my creative juices get sprayed all over paintings. I’ve shown my crazy work in several galleries across the country and even a few around the world. You can see my work here.

Raul Guerra

After graduating in 2002, I’ve been working steadily in animation and illustration. It was in 2006 that I joined the Family Guy team, working as a storyboard revisionist and storyboarder. Here I get to work with some of the most creative and wacky people ever, which serves as fuel and inspiration for my own stuff when I get home. I enjoy painting, sculpting and screen printing. Oh, and dinosaurs!!! Check out my site here.

More Goodies On The Way

As we mentioned last week, there are lots more good things coming to ModNation. Tomorrow, we’ll have everyone’s favorite insurance Mod, Flo, joining us from the ModNation Progressive office. On October 26th, we’re going to be giving you the first taste of some track-enhancing goodness with a FREE parts pack for a week! I’ll fill you in with more details next week, but needless to say, you will be pleased. Also, since the MNR community is so great, we think it’s about time for another Double XP week. It’s also going to start on October 26th, so get your Karts tuned and ready.

ModNation Racers for PS3: Progressive Flo

Also, since Halloween is coming and you’re all going to be dressing up as your favorite Mods (right?), it seems like the perfect time to have a ModNation Halloween contest.

ModNation Halloween creations contest

Submit your original Halloween-themed Karts, Mods, and Tracks here for a chance to win a free Mod and Kart. The winner’s creations will be showcased in November’s first ModNation Monday blog.

Clearly, it’s going to be a killer October in ModNation, and it just keeps getting better. Now let’s jump into the cool stuff you’ve all been creating:

ModNation Creations of the Week

Amazing creations in ModNation get shared every day and we are playing a ton of them. If you are interested in submitting your Mod, Kart or Track to be a future “creation” of the week be sure to visit up on the official ModNation Community site and who knows? You might see your handiwork on the PlayStation.Blog.

MOD OF THE WEEK

Mod Name: Yin
Creator: Stitchless

Yin

This guy makes me want to beat down the pack in a race, and then have him jump out of the Kart and directly into a martial arts competition. Cool from head to toe, and his abs are almost as ripped as mine….

KART OF THE WEEK

Kart Name: Bug-A-Boo
Creator: Icandy55

Bug a boo

As cool as this Kart is, it’s weird to have that bug face looking back at me while I race. Very creative…..but a little creepy.

TRACKS OF THE WEEK

If you have a video(s) of your track submit them to MNR’s YouTube channel and email ModNation@Playstation.Sony.com and we will include them in the blog if your track is showcased.

Track Name: Peruvian Shakedown
Created by: Corliss

Peruvian Shakedown 3

Peruvian Shakedown says: “Here we have a hand-built Mayan temple with surrounding villages. Maxed out props, lots of detail in this map. Light dirt at the sides of the track will lead to alternative routes, and there are several.”

This track has one of the most evil uses of the rotating platform that I’ve seen. To succeed on this track, you pretty much have to remember this one mantra: “No Mistakes.” This is a wicked-looking track and technically exciting too. A true test of skill here, and the jumps to the pyramid from the shortcuts are amazing.

Track Name: Wild Wild West
Created by: CIV_BOSS

Wild Wild West 3

CIV_BOSS says: “Race past the old church and cemetery, through a couple farms towards the outskirts of town where the animals are grazing. You will notice the awesome layout of this track makes for a very fun and exciting race: the more racers there are, the more fun it is. Oh and watch out for them barrels partner!”

Learn the blind corners as quickly as you can with this one if you want to have any hope at all. Also be sure you take advantage of the opportunities to get some extra air by hopping off the jumps because a lot of the Item Pods are up pretty high. This track is intense, and it makes me dream of the day when sheep will be invisible.

Track Name: Graveyard
Created by: Stitchless

Graveyard 2

Stitchless says: “This track is the first part of a series I will be releasing, The Pits of Darkness. The course features a vast cemetery… Those dreading the graves can choose to take the waterway, but be forewarned the current is strong. Maybe you’ll find your preferred pace along the inner walls, where you’ll boost all the way around.

You can get some serious air on this track, but that depends on which route you take. One of the two main paths has some wicked jump and spin opportunities, and the other has one of the best back-to-back-to-back drift opportunities I’ve seen. With Halloween right around the corner, this track is perfect for adding a little spookiness to your racing.

HOT LAP ROSTER FOR THE WEEK

Continuing with the trend we started weeks ago this weeks Hot Lap roster features all new community created tracks.

Monday: Caribbean Retreat, by grey_jeep
Tuesday: Continental Estates, by IndustrialSavior
Wednesday: Celestial Obelisk Eden, by IndustrialSavior
Thursday: Adventurous Jungle, by StealthReborn–
Friday: Jebediah City, by atheistsw
Saturday: Mystery Track
Sunday: Mystery Track

More news next week, until then… see you in the ModSpot!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT on October 11th, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

Awesome addition!

By the way, I just found out you guys added custom soundtracks to ModNation Racers! Thanks you so much!!! You guys rock :P

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

yo! anyone out there?

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

Hi groovy PS dudes!

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

Let’s blog it up..

+ moriarty1975 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

“On October 26th, we’re going to be giving you the first taste of some track-enhancing goodness with a FREE parts pack for a week”

Does that mean its only free for a week?

I hope E.U is getting this too?

+ Ramone Russell on October 11th, 2010 at 1:21 pm said:

Yes its only free for the first week

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

Family Guy director Dominic Polcino here. We messed around with ModNation and found it pretty fun. What say you?

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

I know I also had a fun time designing little Mod dudes.

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

woah! sweet tatt Polcino!

+ Sid Shuman on October 11th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Note that you guys can respond to comments, like so :-) We’re blasting this out on Twitter and Facebook now, so expect many reader comments shortly.

+ S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT on October 11th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

I say cookies are awesome.

+ S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT on October 11th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

Oh, and if you love ModNation Racers, you’ll love Warhawk, haha

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

Hey Dominic, What’s it like to be a big shot animation director?

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

How’s it going, Raul? Or is there another handle you go by?

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

you can call me Boba Fett!

+ Jvolel on October 11th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

I thought we were going to get the family guy cast as characters. The game is great for offline play, but I can’t say much about online play since i’ve never been able to race online.

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Oops! number 14 is for you.

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

We probably don’t have the rights to make fam guy characters on ModNation, but you can try to create your own at home.

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

it’s going. can’t complain.

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

Nope! You got some awesome artists instead who can’t use licensed characters without Fox’s permish.

+ S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT on October 11th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

Jvolel, why can’t you race online? That sucks :(

+ game-boy611 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

I have a question for all of you guys who work on Family Guy. Here it comes: What did you like the most on ModNation Racers?

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

for me, i’d have to say the sweet customization of characters and vehicles. it’s pretty rad seeing your own little dood kicking butt on the track!

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

I like creating the tracks – because secretly all animators want to be god.

+ larssonio on October 11th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

I love family guy, how did you get the idea to make this beast serie? I mean, a baby with the need to kill its mom, a talking dog who has been on drugs. Whats going on in ur brains?!

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

WE all have a lot of issues. The show is a way to exercise some of our demons and create new ones.

+ GreenFire999 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

This game is SOOO Awesome… I played the Demo for about 2 hours straight. Im trying to save up my money to buy this and once when i do This might be the only game i will play for a few months. Once when i get it, I want to challenge Joe Vaux =)

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

Bring it my friend…. I’ll defend my self with claws and teeth if necessary. You’ll still win but you won’t feel good about it.

+ Dafreakzo on October 11th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Any plans for releasing a Family Guy racing sort of game?

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Joe Vaux is a good player, I’ll give him that. He can also jump and touch the 12 foot ceiling at work.

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Thanx D!

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

And don’t forget those sweet spin kicks too! Joe is pretty much a killing machine!

+ GreenFire999 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

How tall is he? He has to be like 6 feet or something

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

He’s actually 11’4″, so it’s not that hard for him.

+ Jvolel on October 11th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

@S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Either I can never connect, or I can connect, but lose connection a few seconds or a minute after. At first I thought there was a problem on my end, but then how could that be if I never have a problem playing online with any other ps3/psn game?

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

11 feet 11 inches.

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

HA!

+ GreenFire999 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

Not if i bring my clown shoes… Then you might win!

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Okay, fair.. But first you have to defeat Raul.

+ GreenFire999 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

:D Thats tall

+ crazymonkey64ban on October 11th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

i wish i could get this game!! but i cant afford it….

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

The holidays are right around the corner. Have you been good this year?

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

well, you have 3 weeks to build a sweet mod nation costume and perhaps enter some contests? take that cash prize money and, BAM!!! problem solved!

+ ATLRoAcH on October 11th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

Family Guy stuff would be cool for Little Big Planet too. Actually, can we get some Family Guy avatars for PSN? That would be really easy to do.

+ Mike0804 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

@Dafreakzo – Family Guy: Something Something Something Racing?

Also, Robert Wadlow’s got nothin’ on Joe Vaux.

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

wow – obscure reference. I thought you were talking about painters, because Joe Vaux is one of the best painters around. Thanks, google!

+ Jvolel on October 11th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

@thefamilyguy — guys

Any plans on making race tracks?

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

Tracks are definitely planned. I know DP made a couple but I don’t think they were posted.

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

Love making tracks! A good trick I like to do is create a jump – but put lots of power-ups down the hill if you miss it. It’s win-win.

+ GreenFire999 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

How good is Raul?

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

I specialize in knife throwing! no big deal!

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

He’s quite talented. He’s one of those guys that can pick up any game in about 2 minutes. He makes me sick!

+ TapDatApp on October 11th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

Family Guy…Guys, 2 Questions: What’s your favorite episode of (or gag from) Family Guy personally? & If you’ve played LittleBigPlanet for PS3, what’s your take on that? :)

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

hmmmm… my favorite episode hasn’t aired yet, but i’ll be making a cameo as a gross junkie, rocking a sweet mullet!! as for little big planet, haven’t had a chance to play that one yet, but it looks rad.

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

Favorite episode I worked on was “The Man with Two Brians”, Favorite bit is funny conversation with Consuela that Peter has in an episode too come.
    LBP is sweet! I actually worked with PS to design a sharable level. Real fun to have so much creative control.

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

I liked Peter trying to throw the dead frog out the window. Never played LittleBig.

+ Dafreakzo on October 11th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

@Mike – even if it was kart racing like Modnation or Mario Kart I think it would be neat. Stewies kart could have a laser beam on the front that turns you into brockley or something like that.

+ Dafreakzo on October 11th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Broccoli dammit!

+ atheistsw on October 11th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

Nice, finally some track DLC and FREE too, nice one. But before I get disappointed, please tell me this’ll be available to all regions, and not just the US?

+ Brandon_2535 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

Family Guy is amazing! Video was funny. Have you guys played any other PS3 games?

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

I love any shooting game – Metal of Honor, Call of Duty…also the ones with the real gun like Time Crisis. Get out my aggressions.

+ TapDatApp on October 11th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

^Oh and agreed, I’d definitely LOVE to see some Official Family Guy Mod & Kart DLC hit ModNation Racers in the near future ;)

+ GreenFire999 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

So lets say Raul can pick up Killzone 2, play it for a few minutes, and still beat me?

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

That’s what I’m saying..(as I totally throw him under the bus)

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

you’re dead to me Joe!!!

+ Mike0804 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

@Dafreakzo – Peter’s kart could have a horn that goes, “Shut up, Meg!”

+ Tecnoboy1 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:34 pm said:

That red & white mod is awesome, well done ;)

Love the blasted out eyes!

European btw, couldn’t understand most of that lingo lol

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

Merci! CAndy Jack was fun to build.

+ Number423 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

YO lets play sometime im getting modnation soon

+ Dafreakzo on October 11th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

@Mike hahaha Peter can have an alternate costume with a cardboard television on his head!

+ Number423 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

love the show and the game

+ MADANI_G on October 11th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

I like Family Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ ChrisB-D on October 11th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

wow cool, I think this is my first time posting here and some of the crew from Family Guy are in the house awesome. Great work on the show, keep up the good work.

So guys, what is you favourite weapon in Modnation?

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

Thanks, Chris BD! I didn’t know they had weapons…

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

HAHAHAHA! Polcino is so good, he wins without violence! I think we can all learn an important lesson from this man. He’s the Ghandi of the video game world. As for me, anything that’ll blow my opponent away!!

+ crazymonkey64ban on October 11th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

@ joe. Im going to end up getting it for christmas i think… or my Sons birthday.

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Well enjoy it when it happens! It’s a good time.

+ GreenFire999 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

That frog scene with peter was hilarious. That made me laugh so hard i cried

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:42 pm said:

that was Polcino’s show! he’s pretty dang good!

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Classic Polcino by the way… I almost wet my pants during that one.

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

Wait till you see Raul’s Planes, Trains and Automobile scene in the final Star Wars spoof! Awesome!

+ Spinout209 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

This one is for the awesome people from Family Guy. Do you guys own a PS3 and if so, what is your PSN Username?

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

Yes, I own one. But I haven’t connected online yet.. Just too busy working, painting and fatherhood.

+ Spinout209 on October 11th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Family Guy Directors: Any plans to create a script for Family Guy based off of Modnation Racers?

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

You never know, but most likely not. It’s a tricky line to walk. Powerful empires usually clash.

+ Dafreakzo on October 11th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

@ Family Guy staff. It seems that I have to speak about the show directly to get a reply so here goes! How often does it typically take to get one episode completed and from that point when does it usually get put on the air?

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

Believe it or not, one year! A lot of work goes into these shows.

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

Believe it or not – a LOOOONG time. Maybe 2 months to write the sc ript, five months for us to draw and direct the key frames, then another 3 in Korea where it gets inked and painted. So, yeah, animation is not for whimps. :)

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

Oh yeah – what Joe says – I forgot the 2 months for rewrites and retakes!

+ Raul Guerra on October 11th, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

psssssh!!! I did an epsiode all by myself, and it only took me two weeks!!!! naw, just joshing. it takes FOREVER!!!!!!!!

+ ChrisB-D on October 11th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

Sorry Dominic, my bad I should have said “items” as the game calls it… the lightning bolts, missiles, sonic waves, or boosters.

+ Dominic Polcino on October 11th, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

Oh right. I forgot about those. I’m not sure, but I do like to build a track with a fair amount of booby traps!

+ Joe Vaux on October 11th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said: