PS4-The Order

Netflix on PS3: Disc-free Next Week

Greg Peters's Avatar + Posted by Greg Peters on Oct 14, 2010 // VP of Product Development, Netflix

If you instantly watch movies and TV shows from Netflix on your PS3, here is the news you’ve been waiting for: starting Monday, October 18 you’ll be able to instantly watch movies and TV shows without inserting an instant streaming disc into your console.

In addition to eliminating the disc, there is a new user interface that brings a much richer and faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts.

Netflix PS3

There is even more good news for PS3 owners: starting on Monday you’ll be able to instantly watch some movies and TV shows in 1080i 1080p high definition, listen to Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound, and view an increasing portion of our content library with subtitles. This will bring the home theater experience right to your living room and make instantly watching movies even more enjoyable. Here’s a news release from Netflix and Dolby with details.

Check out these improvements and continue to enjoy watching TV shows and movies streamed from Netflix.

PAGE 1 2 3 8

+ FourUp2358 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:41 am said:

OMG!!!!!!!!

Greg Peters's Avatar

+ Eric Lempel on October 14th, 2010 at 9:56 am said:

A quick update, we have received a new version of the application from Netflix and we’re happy to report that the PlayStation 3 app will support 1080p.

+ ddb216 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:41 am said:

FINALLY!

+ ddb216 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

This will make my PS3 soooooo much more useful. I mean I can watch Netflix on it now, but it’s so much more convenient to NOT have to get up and change the disk in order to load it lol

+ xeno3d on October 14th, 2010 at 5:47 am said:

Awesome!

+ lauchlin on October 14th, 2010 at 5:48 am said:

I thought I read that this disc-less netflix was only coming to Plus subscribers. From the article, it doesn’t mention that. Is it for everyone who has a PS3? And is it free?

Greg Peters's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on October 14th, 2010 at 9:10 am said:

It’s for everyone.

+ danthe57 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:48 am said:

Woot! say it with me, Woot!

+ wocyob on October 14th, 2010 at 5:48 am said:

this is great news… i didnt like the interface before but this is much better

and not needing a disc is a nice plus

+ BloodiedWraith on October 14th, 2010 at 5:48 am said:

Awesome! I’ve been waiting for this.

+ Powie on October 14th, 2010 at 5:48 am said:

Woohoo!!! Subtitles too, my old ears appreciate this.

+ downwardspiral28 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:49 am said:

have already had this in canada for about 2 weeks now

+ OnesOwnGrief on October 14th, 2010 at 5:49 am said:

Thank yee oh Gods of Sony and Netflix. Praise be to thee.

+ kanjolie on October 14th, 2010 at 5:49 am said:

So amazingly awesome! And on my birthday too, best news I’ve gotten for a while, I can’t wait to test out the new features, man!

+ tietherope on October 14th, 2010 at 5:50 am said:

We already have this in Canada but can we get the instant queue please?

+ Sammich3825 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:50 am said:

Heck yes. Hopefully I can actually watch movies on my PS3 now. Before it was so laggy that it would take over twenty minutes to play two minutes of video.

+ LR_Se7eN on October 14th, 2010 at 5:51 am said:

Nice! Time for me to get a second PS3 for the TV in the bedroom!!!

+ MiguelAMX on October 14th, 2010 at 5:51 am said:

Wonderful news :D

+ JFeisty on October 14th, 2010 at 5:51 am said:

Rock on! Been waiting for a disc-less solution…can’t wait!

+ Aggie_CEO on October 14th, 2010 at 5:51 am said:

I rather have GT5 come out on its Previous date than this come out next week….can this get pushed back to “Before Christmas” :’-(

This is good tho…no more disc…..

+ VofEscaflowne on October 14th, 2010 at 5:52 am said:

Any news on when Canada will receive more content? It is pretty lacking compared to the US right now and even shows that were used to advertise it a few weeks ago on the PS Blog such as Dexter are not even available on the service.

+ EagleEyeElite on October 14th, 2010 at 5:53 am said:

Okay I am confused….because Canada already had the Netflix application since it came to Canada. Same theme etc…was I the only one or something? Please respond…this worrys me and yes @Volf, we need more kick *** movies!

+ Runawayshinobi1 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:54 am said:

Dolby 5.1 surround sound finally….

+ MatthewMk2 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:56 am said:

Welcome to the future America! For once we Canadians got something cool before you! Netflix is Freaking AWESOME!! Yeah, content is kinda lacking at the moment, but who cares? Its has Mystery Science Theater 3000! The only show you;ll ever need.

+ matthewkh on October 14th, 2010 at 5:58 am said:

When do we get this in Europe?
I live in Spain, but can only watch Spanish dubbed movies on PSN. No good to me as, I dont speak Spanish very well! Can we have a language option, when we download the movies please or at least subtitles?

+ kNoWlEdGe22 on October 14th, 2010 at 5:58 am said:

Thanks for news and features Greg and Eric… looking forward to it!

+ KillerDante on October 14th, 2010 at 5:59 am said:

This is great!!! Good step foward. @ 5 its for everyone. BTW I am also loving that Free ‘Midnight Movies’ on PSN every Saturday night. You should try and include something like that for PSN+ subscribers to promote your own video store. Thanks for your hard work.

+ Enforcer_X on October 14th, 2010 at 5:59 am said:

1080i … COME ON!
5.1 Audio I’m sold!

+ Microshock on October 14th, 2010 at 5:59 am said:

YAY! The disc version was starting to annoy me and even broke my 250GB HDD.

+ dr_sasquatch on October 14th, 2010 at 5:59 am said:

I’d have to agree with VofEscaflowne… it’s great that the service has been introduced in Canada already but if I’m going to stick with it after the free trial I’ll need to see new movies and TV shows added on a regular basis. Nothing has been added at all since I signed up… it’s really just a limited selection of top-rated TV shows and movies and a whole lotta b-movies I’ve never heard of.

Netflix – if you want my business you need to add some new content!

+ atone1382 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:01 am said:

Yea baby!!! Thanks for the update Greg! I generally use the netflix on my ps3 every night. Since October rolled in every time I pop that disc in I wondered when this was gonna happen.

+ drew327 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:02 am said:

So good, now just waiting for a streaming only plan for cheap so I can send back the movie that has been on my TV stand for months.

+ MilitarySoldier1 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:02 am said:

Beastly :)

+ WoodyWood09 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:03 am said:

This is great, I was really getting tired of using a disc. lol

+ ExPresident on October 14th, 2010 at 6:04 am said:

Awesome. Looks great and a much welcome update. Good work this time.

+ Monkey521 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:06 am said:

@ #20, this is for the US. When they announced Netflix for Canada, they also mentioned that the Canadian version would start out with the update and that the US would get it mid-late October.

+ sprodigy on October 14th, 2010 at 6:07 am said:

Awesome!! I can’t wait! I just started using Netflix a few weeks ago and i’m addicted. This will help!

+ Shinji_Elric on October 14th, 2010 at 6:07 am said:

No offence Sony but it should have been an install from the start not a damn disk.

+ Fatguy2003 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:09 am said:

Very well done Sony, securing surround sound first is huge. It may have taken awhile, but the competitor is finally playing catch up with Sony, and I couldn’t be happier :)

+ TrueFFVIIFan on October 14th, 2010 at 6:10 am said:

Some t.v. shows/movies are enabled with SUBTITLES…?!?!? OH MY GOODNESS! I just had a heart attack and went to heaven! Thank you very much for working really hard to get that option available now! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! So, will we expect to see MORE (And if not MOST) of t.v. shows/movies will have subtitle in them…? Not just few, right? Thanx again!

+ viguru on October 14th, 2010 at 6:10 am said:

woot! thanks :D

+ WhiteF8ng on October 14th, 2010 at 6:11 am said:

Will the Ps3 upconvert like the 360 too?

+ THE_MR_PENGUIN on October 14th, 2010 at 6:11 am said:

its about time.

very happy to see this.

So how about you guys make those google tv rumors coming true?

+ saiyanknight87 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:12 am said:

bout time but what about a discount for PSN+ users or something!?

+ Moonvest on October 14th, 2010 at 6:12 am said:

Dear United States:

Welcome to last month.

Sincerely,
Canada

+ OnesOwnGrief on October 14th, 2010 at 6:12 am said:

Everyone, do yourselves a favor and just go watch Black Dynamite right now on Watch Instantly. :I

+ Bluenoodle on October 14th, 2010 at 6:15 am said:

is it Move compatible?

Greg Peters's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on October 14th, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

I haven’t tried that out yet. Good question.

+ LiQuiZoN on October 14th, 2010 at 6:15 am said:

Question:

What happened to all the VIDEOGAME related updates?

Just wandering, because it seems like it basically stopped, which is dissapointing.

+ StatikBit on October 14th, 2010 at 6:16 am said:

FINALLY!… no disc AND Surround Sound! I can’t wait!

+ Amnalehu on October 14th, 2010 at 6:16 am said:

My XBOX 360 is looking more and more like a giant paper weight…

+ Neji60 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:18 am said:

Yea! About time. Now I won’t have to get up to change the disc. Ugh, so annoying…

+ Reginthorn on October 14th, 2010 at 6:20 am said:

Yes keep adding the great features! Is 1080i exclusive to the PS3?

PAGE 1 2 3 8