Minecraft PS4

Netflix on PS3: Disc-free Next Week

Greg Peters's Avatar + Posted by Greg Peters on Oct 14, 2010 // VP of Product Development, Netflix

If you instantly watch movies and TV shows from Netflix on your PS3, here is the news you’ve been waiting for: starting Monday, October 18 you’ll be able to instantly watch movies and TV shows without inserting an instant streaming disc into your console.

In addition to eliminating the disc, there is a new user interface that brings a much richer and faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts.

Netflix PS3

There is even more good news for PS3 owners: starting on Monday you’ll be able to instantly watch some movies and TV shows in 1080i 1080p high definition, listen to Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound, and view an increasing portion of our content library with subtitles. This will bring the home theater experience right to your living room and make instantly watching movies even more enjoyable. Here’s a news release from Netflix and Dolby with details.

Check out these improvements and continue to enjoy watching TV shows and movies streamed from Netflix.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 8

+ frigorific on October 14th, 2010 at 6:25 am said:

Norway++ please :)
it’s really boring to read news upon news of features on a console that can only play games outside of america and the UK.

+ bigdaddy6703 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

Best news I’ve had in a while considering my ps3 won’t read the netflix disc. Now if i can only get Sony to finally fix my Ps3, they have had it for almost a month.

+ Zinacef on October 14th, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

Finally. Now let’s hope there’s no interruptions while streaming!

+ ODINGameslayer on October 14th, 2010 at 6:30 am said:

What will be the impact on the existing PS3 Store? I’ve always enjoyed using that for movies and TV.

+ Zinacef on October 14th, 2010 at 6:31 am said:

I forgot to ask: I’ve got 2 PS3′s. I only use the disc on one obviously, but with this new update that’s coming out 10/18, can I download Netflix to the 2 PS3′s?

PS Sorry for the double post.

+ jazzyrider on October 14th, 2010 at 6:33 am said:

Wow- about time! Seriously, I was getting tired of using my other console for this. My home theater setup has the ps3 and the other console in a separate cabinet behind the tv and inserting the disc just to watch the ps3 didn’t make the experience good at all. I hope they incorporate some new features and/or make it similar to the other console’s experience.

+ Dark_Vincent on October 14th, 2010 at 6:34 am said:

@50 There’s the European PS Blog, you know? Your PSPlus is better than the US one too

+ Killerpanda1991 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:36 am said:

that sounds very cool I cant wait because im selling my xbox 360 tommorow or saturday or sunday hopefully for a PS3 Cause I already have my netflix disc for my PS3 but now I cant wait for next monday to just watch it off the PS3

+ Psychoticx3r0 on October 14th, 2010 at 6:37 am said:

Is there going to be an option to change aspect ratio on non-HD videos when watching on a HD screen? I don’t watch stuff if the image is stretched to fit the widescreen when it was designed for fullscreen.

+ David2Crazy on October 14th, 2010 at 6:40 am said:

In response to #44 Bluenoodle

As it came to Canada a few weeks ago, I just checked for you. There isn’t any Move support. So unless there is a patch before it hits the US, you won’t be able to navigate the menus using Move.

+ B1GG1N on October 14th, 2010 at 6:42 am said:

Fantastic! I have been waiting on this news since October 1 rolled around. Thank you Netflix and Sony.

+ kentacohut on October 14th, 2010 at 6:42 am said:

That is Fan-freaking-tastic!!!

+ Joe-TFW on October 14th, 2010 at 6:43 am said:

Awesome, awesome news. I have been thoroughly happy with Netflix on the PS3, and this just makes it better.

+ adolson on October 14th, 2010 at 6:45 am said:

@54 I have two PS3s, and I can stream two movies at once, one on each, with my one PSN and Netflix account (I am in Canada, so I have had the app for a while now).

I also noticed that my wife shares my Netflix account when she logs in under her PSN account.

+ SatiricFX on October 14th, 2010 at 6:45 am said:

Looks like I may stop watching Netflix on the 360 and go to the PS3. Great new features for the PS3.

+ Aggie_CEO on October 14th, 2010 at 6:46 am said:

Remote Play?

+ LBartley on October 14th, 2010 at 6:47 am said:

Now if we could get some content on the Canadian version, I’d be in love.

The experience is pretty great already, but the library available in the US would be amazing.

I know this is the fault of the CRTC, and not Netflix, but it’s still annoying. Fight harder Netflix! Throw some chairs around!

+ Dafreakzo on October 14th, 2010 at 6:52 am said:

This is AWESOME news!! Now I can watch The Office much easier and quicker! Thanks Netflix and thanks Sony!

+ krae_man on October 14th, 2010 at 6:55 am said:

Canada FTW!

+ Se7enthSign on October 14th, 2010 at 6:55 am said:

Sweet. Hey, can anyone confirm or deny the rumors that Google TV and Android OS are coming to PS3? (this would absolutely make my day)

+ VectorRaven on October 14th, 2010 at 6:56 am said:

Great if you don’t own a PC and took you guys long enough. Seeing my buds in Canada online had it for a bit. Now what’s the release date of GT5?

+ Bulleteddy on October 14th, 2010 at 6:58 am said:

This is FANTASTIC! Can’t wait!

+ frigorific on October 14th, 2010 at 6:59 am said:

@ 56
There is an EU blog i know. Nobody listens there either… It’s actually a UK blog which means EU for Sony.
Only way to watch movies on a PS3 in Norway++ is going outside and renting a blu-ray.
…and yes – the year is 2010. Who knew…

Don’t get me wrong – I love the gaming experience – but when it comes to films – it really shouldn’t be this difficult to give customers what they want… Did i mention the year was 2010? :)

+ EagleEyeSamurai on October 14th, 2010 at 7:01 am said:

Netflix streaming sans disc coming next week.

Netflix 5.1 surround sound coming to PS3 next week.

PS3 Surround Soundbar coming next week.

…I see what you did here. :-)

+ MUGEN02 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:01 am said:

1080p FTW!

+ siriusbee on October 14th, 2010 at 7:03 am said:

@69 Why would Android OS come to the PS3? It has its own OS.

+ HerbertFortoon on October 14th, 2010 at 7:08 am said:

Hazzah! said the man with arms akimbo!

+ djnealb on October 14th, 2010 at 7:08 am said:

FINALLY!! Definitely excited for this and I really like the new look. Can’t wait to give it a go next week.

+ cebackes on October 14th, 2010 at 7:13 am said:

I want to know how many subtitles will be available for movies and tv series? Like spanish, frensh, english or portuguese?

+ FfoegNosnibor on October 14th, 2010 at 7:15 am said:

This is great news. Could someone post a link to the actual Press Release? I do not see it in the media page, unless it is buried in Q3 results. I would definitely like confirmation of dolby 5.1 as this has been missing for some time. Though, I believe it is due to the codec that Netflix uses for instant. An actual link to a Press Release from either Dolby or Netflix would be much appreciated. Again, I am very happy about this announcement

+ ptimothee1 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:17 am said:

This is awesome news! I have been dreaming about this for a while now. If only they can release a Skype app now my dream would be complete.

+ DarkHawk2099 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:18 am said:

Great News! Can’t Wait!

+ Vu_Prime on October 14th, 2010 at 7:19 am said:

Yeeeeaaaaassssss! Finally I won’t have to keep transporting my Netflix disc from one PS3 to the next aaaand I won’t have to keep disc swapping between gaming and Netflix-ing. Yeeee-haaaaa!

+ PristineSneakers on October 14th, 2010 at 7:22 am said:

@ 39
The PS3 has been upscaling since some time in 2007.

+ platiinum_parker on October 14th, 2010 at 7:23 am said:

“Everyone, do yourselves a favor and just go watch Black Dynamite right now on Watch Instantly.” I love that movie; the best spoof ever! “I threw that $#!% before I walked in the room!” Lol!

+ HerbertFortoon on October 14th, 2010 at 7:23 am said:

Weird. My avatar is set to the 15 year anniversary thing, but my last Raven one is showing up. Huh.

+ Link01 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:26 am said:

I really appreciate you guys updating us with this information. This is amazing, I’ve been waiting forever after abusing that pesky disk. And I love the new interface. I was hoping that they would make it more stream lined like the Canadian interface or like LIVE. Personally, I like this more than the LIVE interface on the account it displays more and allows easier access to everything without digging.

+ narutofanO6 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:31 am said:

I’m not signed up for netflix but if i sign up no will i need the disc or will it be part of a firmware update so the icon appears on the PS3

+ ten3ightyHD on October 14th, 2010 at 7:31 am said:

Yes!!! Finally.

+ narutofanO6 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

i meant now

+ Scarface3010 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:37 am said:

Awesome! I’ve been looking forward to this.

+ Bagelzombie79 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:37 am said:

Yay! I can’t wait!

+ Stoffinator on October 14th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

I just wish you could view the content with out having to be a member.

+ Ender_Bean on October 14th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

Yeahah!

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on October 14th, 2010 at 7:41 am said:

moonvest u dumb canadian welcome to last month? lol welcome to few yrs back we have had netflix in america for yrs now and over a yr on the ps3 so nice try think before u get owned again

+ NewYorkBlack on October 14th, 2010 at 7:42 am said:

I have lost my gaming spirit. My 360 is just there unplugged collecting dust. My PS3 is just a Netflix box.
Have I out grown video games?

+ Matt_VT_Schlo1 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:42 am said:

Awesome news….I was excited about the 5.1, and the faster interface looks beautiful!

+ chaoszero14 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

Yes!!! This is awesome!!! I hate changing the disc! Thank You.2

+ SAVAGE_11 on October 14th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

Is it coming in a new firmware??
if so are there any other features included??

+ almighty-slayer on October 14th, 2010 at 7:48 am said: