GTAV PS4

Netflix on PS3: Disc-free Next Week

Greg Peters's Avatar + Posted by Greg Peters on Oct 14, 2010 // VP of Product Development, Netflix

If you instantly watch movies and TV shows from Netflix on your PS3, here is the news you’ve been waiting for: starting Monday, October 18 you’ll be able to instantly watch movies and TV shows without inserting an instant streaming disc into your console.

In addition to eliminating the disc, there is a new user interface that brings a much richer and faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts.

Netflix PS3

There is even more good news for PS3 owners: starting on Monday you’ll be able to instantly watch some movies and TV shows in 1080i 1080p high definition, listen to Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound, and view an increasing portion of our content library with subtitles. This will bring the home theater experience right to your living room and make instantly watching movies even more enjoyable. Here’s a news release from Netflix and Dolby with details.

Check out these improvements and continue to enjoy watching TV shows and movies streamed from Netflix.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8

+ Turbo240Z on October 14th, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

Very happy to see this

+ TwinDad on October 14th, 2010 at 7:50 am said:

I’m finding a hard time being able to find something I actually want to watch. Plenty of stuff for the kids, but not so much for me. If you could expand the TV selection I won’t have to pay for satellite TV anymore. As it is now, I’m about to give it up and buy the shows on iTunes.

+ Neil on October 14th, 2010 at 7:55 am said:

I use Netflix to watch movies on my PS3 all. the. time. Looking forward to this update.

Oh and everyone should add and watch the movie “Targets”.

+ KazeEternal on October 14th, 2010 at 8:01 am said:

We have keyboard support for the Search?

+ rickelchilango on October 14th, 2010 at 8:02 am said:

Awesome news! Can’t wait to give it a try and get rid of that Netflix disc..

+ shystie1 on October 14th, 2010 at 8:06 am said:

Hooray! I think I’m going to be streaming a lot more stuff off Netflix now. It was slight pain to get up and insert the disk in order to stream.

A nice feature would be the ability to mange your Netflex account including but limited to DVD and Blu-ray Ques. Hopefully this in in the works.

PS: I want Android support for Netflix. lol

+ gekko1986 on October 14th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

It would be nice to have an HD only section to browse through on the app. Specifically showing what new HD movies have been added. Also having some indicator or option to play only in HD; instead of having to wait until the movie loads and then stopping it and starting it until it plays in HD, which I have had to do.

+ Mobius_124 on October 14th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

its about time

+ perrandy on October 14th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

wow! finally we are going to be able to watch netflix without having to use the disc.needless to say that this is much welcome news.anyways, netflix please add more anime to your catalog of streaming and non-streaming titles because right now its kind of lacking….

btw, any word if google tv is going to come to the ps3 as well??thanks

+ Fly-boi_2009 on October 14th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

THANK YOU. Finally a decent update, no more getting up n putting a cd in- to the ps3 to watch movies. It was annoying to keep getting up. listen to the customers, is the key to successed.

+ madcrabs on October 14th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

Have been waiting for this for so long. I was actually able to download and play with the Canadian version for about an hour before it became region locked. It works pretty well. Excited for the real thing!

+ perrandy on October 14th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

watching the vid love the new interface.kudos to the netflix and the ps3 programmers for this :0)

+ Rayziel on October 14th, 2010 at 8:24 am said:

+ BlooodyCow on October 14th, 2010 at 8:25 am said:

OMG 1080i…who needs 1080p

+ ZaZeeMan on October 14th, 2010 at 8:28 am said:

After using the new 360 dashboard preview version of Netflix, the PS3 interface feels very plain and old-school. It doesn’t even use the PS3’s dashboard interface or feel.

+ lyfestory on October 14th, 2010 at 8:31 am said:

while this is welcome news, it does NOT make up for the delay of GT5…
what needs to be done is more HD programming… and Spartacus needs to be HD for sure… anything on the Starz Play on Netflix should be HD..

+ hush404 on October 14th, 2010 at 8:31 am said:

I live in Canada… for once we’ve got it before USA :) TOo bad Netflix canada is garbage in regards to content.

+ FfoegNosnibor on October 14th, 2010 at 8:32 am said:

Here is the link to the actual Press Release (not the Media Center Page):

Dolby 5.1 is exclusive to the PS3 for the time being. Awesome. I have been waiting for Surround Sound on Netflix Instant for two years. Thanks Sony. This is quite the bonus!

+ ZaZeeMan on October 14th, 2010 at 8:33 am said:

Forgot to mention that despite the interface, the 5.1 DD+ is an awesome addition.

+ rcobourn on October 14th, 2010 at 8:39 am said:

Now if the PS/3 would just handle NTFS formatted USB drives and play .MKV files, it would be just about perfect as a media hub.

+ ATOMS11 on October 14th, 2010 at 8:48 am said:

Keep it coming Sony! Do I see a Google tv intergration with the PS3? Sony already has TV’S and Blueray players with G.TV built in. Remember who called it first!

+ kx2250 on October 14th, 2010 at 8:48 am said:

this would be cool if there was any good movies to choise from on the “insta play” put the new releases on there, cable does it, and stop wasting your money on postage. Company stock goes up 3 points DUH!!!

+ JonJonXD on October 14th, 2010 at 8:49 am said:

Finally :)

Now I can toss out that netflix disc.

+ Shrewder on October 14th, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

Thank you, Sony and Netflix.

+ Sarno1605 on October 14th, 2010 at 9:01 am said:

Yay! Finally! This posting makes my day! Next week disc-less Netflix and a promising PS+ update, makes for a great week! :)

+ Carl-G on October 14th, 2010 at 9:05 am said:

I miss these videos :D Looks cool

+ onslaughtree on October 14th, 2010 at 9:08 am said:

This is awesome news. I love using netflix on my ps3 and this app looks like it will improve the experience…great job sony.

+ afewAFEWafew on October 14th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

This is great!!! Ive been using my Wii for a while now because the disc was too hard on my Bluray drive. This looks a lot like the Wii version, which is organized much better and just works better. only one question…Move support? The Navigation controller looks like it was built for the new Netflix, but I still like cruising the xmb using the sixaxis on the Move. Either way I’m stoked! Hulu Plus and Netflix are about to make my PS3 an entertainment weapon.

+ remanutd5 on October 14th, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

Jeff when are we gonna get a monthly paid service from the video side of PSN ? i used to have netflix on the ps3 but didnt like it because most of the movies they were offering were old , i like to watch new movies every other weekend and thats why we rent a movie from PSN everyother weekend , when are we getting paid service from the video side of psn? ohhh and can PS + subscribers get discount on movies ? that would be sweet !!!!

+ Chase167 on October 14th, 2010 at 9:26 am said:

DOES IT HAS CROSS GAMES CHAT AND CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS LOLOLOLOLOL
I COULDN’T HELP MY SELF GOOD JOB SONY

+ lengendmk on October 14th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

I already thought it was Disc-less cause I watched movies here in Canada without a disk :S

+ NoobianGod on October 14th, 2010 at 9:30 am said:

Great! Thanks for the update.

@Jeff Rubenstein – Let Eric know we would love to see more apps or even widgets for the PS3. (Google App/PS3 Integration FTW!)

+ remanutd5 on October 14th, 2010 at 9:32 am said:

Jeff tell Erick that we’d love to see a friends list on the PSP !!!!!!

+ StrykerIsland on October 14th, 2010 at 9:35 am said:

More AAA content for Canada, please. I can only watch straight-to-DVD content for so long before it gets tiresome.

I’d love more current films and shows too, I’d even be willing to pay a few extra dollars for it.

+ Band2eto on October 14th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

Dear Playstation:

Nice Netflix update! Also, you guys should form a MAJOR ALLIANCE with GOOGLE. Think of the endless possibilities!

+ AllOrZer0 on October 14th, 2010 at 9:48 am said:

Another question; will the new app support keyboard functions for the search? I’d love to hammer out my movies on the chatpad rather than with the d-pad since it’s easier to get around on quickly.

+ TakiFuGu on October 14th, 2010 at 9:49 am said:

To who ever worked on the video editing, nice work on the title design and Eric’s name design in the beginning. I’m guessing Final Cut Pro or After Effects? Keep the designs classy and modern.

As for the native Netflix app, it’s been well over due. I’m just happy I won’t be needing that disc back in the PS3. Nice work guys! Wish it was available today.

+ LordRaoh on October 14th, 2010 at 9:51 am said:

Blu Ray Remote Supported?

+ PS_jAiLbr34ker on October 14th, 2010 at 10:01 am said:

Even better now with 1080p streaming, SUPERB!!!

+ pitythefool852 on October 14th, 2010 at 10:06 am said:

Wow, Canada first through the gate. I’m impressed. Is it true that Netflix had some nasty exclusive deals that prevented an App from being released before?

I was wondering if there’s any chance of getting this in Asia? In Hong Kong we have no video or music apps at all, and just a handful of PVs on PlayStation Store.

It’s crazy that we have 100 to 1000 meg home Internet here, and no-one’s made an online movie rental service. Talk about an untapped market.

Seems kind of weird, seeing as Sony are an entertainment powerhouse with tons of music and movies in their catalogue, but they don’t want to sell or even rent it to their captive audience on PSN.

Anyway… video rentals in Hong Kong… please please please

+ AscottW on October 14th, 2010 at 10:10 am said:

Y E S ! ! ! Thank you Sony, for actually updating something useful!

+ Pucci2099 on October 14th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

This is so amazing! PS3 FTW!! Thanks!!

+ SKeRJ on October 14th, 2010 at 10:25 am said:

Will it have continuous playback?

+ xlLucky on October 14th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

Is it only in the North America? , cause im from Europe

+ Gennosukekorga on October 14th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

is it psn pay or free?

+ TheGuardianFID on October 14th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

Awesomesauce, nicely done Sony, I can’t wait to try it out and thank you!!! 8)

+ flannelbeard on October 14th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Great! Finally. on that note… now I can sell my 360 since i will not need it anymore. Maybe i will get a second ps3, one for the living room now too :)

+ ChainClutch on October 14th, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

we up here in Canada got this like last month, but let me say this, the Canadian netflix is a huge joke! i cancelled my subscription prior to the 1 month trial. their movie selection is a big fat joke with titles that are years old and almost non-existent list of blockbuster titles.. it has NOTHING!!! the US netflix is amazing, as soon as a title gets released on DVD, it goes on netflix. for crying out loud we dont even have the first ironman on netflix! let alone ironman 2 like the US netflix.

+ Locster60 on October 14th, 2010 at 11:10 am said:

Wow awesome! I use the 360 to watch netflix only because of the disk! That will change now! And 1080p jeez! I am a plus subscriber can we get cloud backup option now? :)

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8