Driveclub

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II hits PS3 Tuesday, Enhancements Detailed

Brett Rector's Avatar + Posted by Brett Rector on Oct 25, 2010 // Producer, LucasArts

One of the most exciting days for a video-game developer is release day, and for those of us who worked on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, October 26th, 2010 is our day. It’s one we’ve been building up to since the release of the original Star Wars: The Force Unleashed back in 2008. Starkiller has returned as the game’s protagonist, and he’s more bad-ass than ever. But is he really Starkiller? If you played the first game then you know he sacrificed himself to save key members of the Rebellion he helped start. So how is it possible that Starkiller is alive? Not one to stay idle, Darth Vader has been doing some tinkering in a secret laboratory on Kamino, the cloning planet from Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones. I think you can see where I’m going with this.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II PS3

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II is all about a personal journey, one where you attempt to unravel the mystery behind whether Starkiller’s a clone or not. The first game was all about redemption; the second is about identity and searching for the truth. It’s an epic story full of revelation; but it’s also a game full of intense action.

What made the first game so much fun to play was the unleashed nature of your Force powers–never in a game had we seen such a visceral, over-the-top imagining of the Force. Before I go any further, yes, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II is still as over-the-top as the original in the portrayal of the Force, but it’s the improvements we’ve made to the gameplay that’s the real story here. For one, the team really concentrated making the targeting system more user-friendly as Force Gripping and throwing enemies at targets has never been more fun or more precise. The camera system has been reworked to show a better view of the action, opening up the battlefield for epic showdowns.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II PS3 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II PS3

Speaking of epic showdowns, one our pillars for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II was to create insanely intense boss battles in spectacle, size, and scale—and that’s exactly what we did! Hopefully you’ve seen footage over the past few months showcasing the largest boss in a Star Wars game to date, the mighty Gorog! It’s clearly evident from the start that Starkiller can’t possibly go toe-to-toe, so it’s up to you to figure out what attacks are the most effective. To that end, the team also concentrated on making the Imperial NPCs smarter and tougher to defeat. What this means is that you can no longer blaze through the game using one form of attack. Like the boss battles, you will have to experiment to find out which attacks are the most effective per each enemy type. There is a lot to discover in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II; and we as the developers want you to get as much out of the game as we put into it.

As one would expect, the team also created new gameplay scenarios that weren’t possible while making the first game, and none that were more exciting than the massive freefall that opens the game. Again, when making a sequel, you want to infuse it with bigger and better things, and the freefall was one of the first new innovations we explored when making Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II. Initially we planned on using this much later in the game, but when you’re trying to make an instant impression, why save the goodness for later? Oh, and we can’t overlook the new Challenge Mode feature that is new to the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed franchise. Here, you can jump in and play fun mini-games that will help improve your overall Jedi prowess, while unlocking cool extras like lightsaber crystals, costumes, and cinematics.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II PS3

Gameplay enhancements aside, I would say the biggest strides we made while making Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 were to our graphics and rendering engine. As you can tell from gameplay footage, this game is simply gorgeous-looking! Having built the sequel with most of the people that helped create the original Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was a huge deal. What that meant when it came to making Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II was that our content creators were able to request refinements to the tools that would ultimately help them create a much more polished-looking and better playing game than the first.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II PS3 Collector's Edition

Whew! That’s a lot to absorb in one sitting! Now all that’s left is to get out there, grab a copy of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, and experience the adrenaline rush for yourself!

PAGE 1 2

+ samoon on October 25th, 2010 at 5:26 pm said:

The demo was so fun!

Game looks fantastic!

Brett Rector's Avatar

+ Brett Rector on October 25th, 2010 at 5:34 pm said:

Thanks for the feedback! We were stoked on how it came out!

+ bonemandust on October 25th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

Played the first one on ps2, might get this after awhile theres just to many other games out/coming out

+ Arcadian_Rebel on October 25th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

Any online features? (co-op, 5v5 duels, etc)

+ Glacier928 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

Was very impressed when I played the public demo at Celebration V! Will be picking this up tomorrow!

Brett Rector's Avatar

+ Brett Rector on October 25th, 2010 at 5:37 pm said:

Celebration V was a blast! It was the first place we took the game for some hands-on time. I’m glad you were able to have a go at it!

+ NOTTULYS on October 25th, 2010 at 5:34 pm said:

Where can I buy that Collector’s Edition?

+ GJD21 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:35 pm said:

Little disappointed by the lackluster reviews thus far, but any game with Euphoria must be cool

+ Trixzter7 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:35 pm said:

Looks amazing!
Hope the long loading when browsing the menu in the first game is gone from this one.

Brett Rector's Avatar

+ Brett Rector on October 25th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

Super-fast load times for TFU2, Trixzter7. That was another one of the areas that we looked to improve.

+ Colithika on October 25th, 2010 at 5:36 pm said:

day one purchase and have been excited and anticipating this one since i 1st heard of it. the 1st one was fantastic and everything i have seen of the 2nd has greatly improved so cannot wait to be done with class tomorrow and go pick up my collectors edition =D

+ SUPERGAMER247 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:41 pm said:

hey first off this game demo was amazing second why did you remove the combos the force impale was epic ( or were they just gone from the demo also are there a ton of costumes in the game or just the ones showing up in the demo ( ultimate sith edition had a ton) like 7 did you remove the menu load times will there be dlc and is the game longer than the first one ( this determines my purchase because I REALLY want need for speed hot pursuit too and that game will have way more replay value)

+ gor1llap1mp on October 25th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

Hmm, thats weird cuz although I loved the demo for the first Unleashed, the sequel had some major performance issues and im not sure I can 100% believe that.

+ SUPERGAMER247 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:43 pm said:

@ 5 i know that all us websites have it ( eg amazon gamestop)

+ gor1llap1mp on October 25th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

It almost seems when developers push to have greater graphics framerate dips and screen tearing pop-up left and right and in my opinion, really ruins the experience.

+ DAlex85 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

Will there be any multiplayer games online by chance? Or in the future? A force unleashed online Jedi battle game would be 2 die for!

+ Thrasher20 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:48 pm said:

Probably one of the best demos I ever played, ever.

+ lalawada on October 25th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

The demo was really great!! I’m looking forward to playing this.

+ Nintendo451 on October 25th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

Can’t wait for the game Brett. I met you at Celebration V and you gave me a little impromptu interview. I really love the stuff that LucasArts has been doing lately, and the power of the “muscle memory” working on your team really works. Keep up the great work!

+ linux731 on October 25th, 2010 at 6:02 pm said:

Is this a exclusive?

+ XwingMike on October 25th, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

Midnight can’t get here soon enough for me to pick up my collector’s edition!

+ Ramage on October 25th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

One question…is it move compatible?

+ hxczuner on October 25th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

Question: Why did the Wii version of TFU have multiplayer (duels) but the PS3/360 versions didn’t? Also, Is it safe to assume that the sequel also doesn’t have it? Just curious
Thanks!

+ SpyDudeFX on October 25th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

Ordered CE and it arrives tomorrow thanks to Amazon.com release date delivery. Are there any PS Home unlockables?

+ APVangeliLHS on October 25th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

With graphics like that I thought I was looking at a PSP game.

STOP GETTING LAZY DEVELOPERS. There is always untapped power, ESPECIALLY on the PS3.

+ darthlego on October 25th, 2010 at 7:25 pm said:

I am getting it tommorow. But I have to ask: Why is there no PSP version? I always liked the PSP version of the first one the best because it had so many different modes and multiplayer besides the story mode.

+ Sponge-worthy on October 25th, 2010 at 7:39 pm said:

The demo was very cool. It kinda reminded me of Jedi Academy–which is a good thing. Maybe add some FPS shooter stuff in the next title?

+ joeyjoe325 on October 25th, 2010 at 7:44 pm said:

Pre-order and will have the special edition tomorrow!

When can we get our hands on some Force Unleashed PS Avatars (like yours)?

+ KazeEternal on October 25th, 2010 at 7:46 pm said:

TFU3…. any chance of bringing that sucker back? I’d hate to think that I’m about to play a game that has enough lead ins for a third title only to get shafted by new managements poor decisions.

The Force Unleashed is the first star wars game since… well maybe the first rogue squadron or Shadows of the Empire that I’ve really felt was worth my time. There are so many places you guys can go and it would be a shame to throw out one of the most enjoyable things about the star wars universe since Lucas sullied it with Episodes 1-3. Seriously. Starkiller > R-Tard Anakin Skywalker the kiddie years.

+ TheGuardianFID on October 25th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

I picked up my collector’s edition today, the game’s awesome Brett, thanks!!! 8)

+ Edd on October 25th, 2010 at 8:03 pm said:

I really liked the demo overall and was pretty impressed with it but i have two little suggestions. One is to have different QTE’s, killing those mech things tends to get tedious, going through the same QTE over and over, and two the lock-on system needs to be tweaked, it’s a little unpredictable.

+ Trixzter7 on October 25th, 2010 at 8:11 pm said:

Yea, lets get some Force Unleashed avatars up on PSN!
Want to rock a cool Starkiller one plz.

+ Edd on October 25th, 2010 at 8:27 pm said:

I plan on getting this by the way :)

+ jacob-813 on October 25th, 2010 at 8:37 pm said:

This game is awesome. Preordered and picking up tomorrow after school. And while I’m on the SW subject, when is someone going to finish battlefront 3? I Mean come on, it’s been forever sinse the first two and the ps3 needs something new. But that’s off the subject. Anyway, great looking game and cant wait to pick it up. I got the game day one for the first and same for the second. Hope it’s fun!

+ EnigmaNemesis on October 25th, 2010 at 9:06 pm said:

I loved the first one. The story was fantastic and could have easily been made into a movie within the Star War Saga.

I played the demo, drooled at the dismemberment that reminded me of the g_realisticSaberCombat code for Jedi Knight series!

This is going to be EPIC. I have my Collector’s Pre-Ordered from Amazon the second it hit, and cant wait for it to arrive!

+ Jeff_Chen on October 25th, 2010 at 9:06 pm said:

umm, where are the shadows???

+ EnigmaNemesis on October 25th, 2010 at 9:07 pm said:

Agreed with #29, I would love to see some Star Wars avatars on the PSN!

+ gdogg666 on October 25th, 2010 at 9:27 pm said:

i already got my collective edition gatta love gamestops midnight releases :D :P

+ jedi_webslinger on October 25th, 2010 at 9:35 pm said:

I have the collector’S edition ordered. Can’t wait to play this.

+ SeventhWard on October 25th, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

Brett – first let me say I enjoyed the game. Had a great time with it. Some of the prettiest most cinematic graphics I’ve seen in a game. Some epic moments in there too. But – the day after I bought it I’ve already beaten it. Man, Force Unleashed II is really short…like frustratingly short.

+ Edd on October 25th, 2010 at 10:16 pm said:

I would also be stoked for some sweet avatars, a dynamic theme or two would also be very awesome.

+ BlooodyCow on October 25th, 2010 at 10:17 pm said:

lol…How can you guys take such a huge step backward with this game. The first game had so much to improve on and yet you guys made the series worst. :(

+ Kemo11 on October 25th, 2010 at 10:28 pm said:

Move would rock this game…seems a no brainer..

+ Catahaoula01 on October 25th, 2010 at 10:31 pm said:

Went to my local friendly neighborhood Gamestop midnight release. Awesome game, was looking forward ever since the first one. Great inclusions and extras with the CE edition. Awesome that you guys also give us extras if you played the TFU 1 and still have it saved in the hard drive of the PS3. Great!

+ Trombone482 on October 25th, 2010 at 11:19 pm said:

Loved the 1st game, looking forward to the 2nd. Question, with the release of the new game can you tell us when if ever we will see a price drop on the DLC for the first game? I bought 2/3 dlc’s liked them but did not feel I got my money’s worth for $10. I they priced somewhere about to $5 to $7 I would probably pull the trigger as I want to have a 100% trophies for the game and experience the rest of the DLC

+ TheUndertaker85 on October 25th, 2010 at 11:21 pm said:

To answer the question of Move support for people, it’s not happening. But the greater part is why:

“we just didn’t think that a 1:1 lightsaber centered game with Wiimotion plus support made much sense from a design perspective- especially since we wanted to concentrate our development time on making the Force powers really kick ass” – statements from one Vince Kurdirka

Oddly though LucasArts has previewed Kinect potential for TFU 2…

Way to completely rip off PS3 AND Wii fans LucasArts. 1:1 doesn’t make much sense? Ya know, even though both the Move controllers and Wii controllers not only lend themselves to something like this but wear a sign around their necks saying, “We’re absolutely perfect for this type of game from both an immersion standpoint and all around lightsaber fighting standpoint!”

+ GTP_Zimmerd on October 25th, 2010 at 11:59 pm said:

When does GT5 hit shelves?
Please Sony, get us a release date already.

If it really were some minor issues,
I don’t get why we haven’t got one already.
My believe in Sony is fading away…
Please get it back!

+ Rhez on October 26th, 2010 at 12:37 am said:

yay, Star Wars. That pretty much sums it up for me. I hope I can get a copy in the morning.

+ Travoliolio on October 26th, 2010 at 12:43 am said:

Im picking my pre’ordered collectors edition later on today, frig Im excited!

+ Travoliolio on October 26th, 2010 at 12:53 am said:

btw, you guys did a great job I played the demo and it looked great!

- one thing though , is I noticed that perhaps next time around you guys (production’wise) team up with the team that made GOW3
thats a beautiful game… and with what you’ve accomplished + having them on your side + your amazing story’line = endless opportunities.

+ RiotPelaaja on October 26th, 2010 at 3:55 am said:

Well there is only one big boss fight in the game and it’s the one mentioned here. After that you have the final fight, which is very drawn out and boring. The game also only really has three enviroments: Kamino, Nemoidia, Spaceship and then you are back at Kamino. Also, considering how good the plot was in the first game, the sequel is a botched job on that front.

+ Keyeszx on October 26th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

I was not impressed by the demo. Mainly for the fact that the force didn’t damage the environment. That was a huge thing in the first one. I won’t be getting this for that.

+ SykoTech on October 26th, 2010 at 6:43 am said:

The story seems like Shadow the Hedgehog: Star Wars Edition. That’s pretty disappointing since I liked the story in the first game.

Demo was pretty fun though. Much more polished than the prequel. I might still get it.

PAGE 1 2