PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Little-Known Facts: Call of Duty: Black Ops Multiplayer

Josh Olin's Avatar + Posted by Josh Olin on Oct 27, 2010 // Community Manager, Treyarch

Hello! I’m Josh Olin (aka JD_2020), and thank you for the opportunity to highlight some of the features that Call of Duty: Black Ops will deliver to PS3 fans when it launches on November 9th. A number of these features are ones that I think the community has been wanting for a long time, which is why we’ve worked really hard to deliver. So let’s get started!

Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3

Multiplayer Online Split-Screen Support

Let’s get started with what I believe is the most unknown, yet confirmed, aspect to Call of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer – the online split-screen support we’ve re-introduced to the franchise!

The Facts:

• You can connect a second controller and bring a guest online (i.e. “JD_2020” & “JD_2020(1)”).
  • Guests can rank up, earn unlocks, etc – all guest progress goes away once signed out.

Custom Games Editor

Allow me to introduce the Black Ops Custom Games Editor! Private matches have never been this customizable. Players will have the ability to structure their games at all new levels of granularity. From variables as simple as Time Limit and Score Limit, or as deep as which weapons, Perks, and gear are available. You want a Pistols Only match? Make one! No longer do custom game modes rely on the “honor system.”

Furthermore, any Custom Game you create and configure can be placed in your File Share, for friends and the community to browse, download, and enjoy. You just might create the most addictive new game mode of all time from the comfort of your own living room!

Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3

In-Game Friends List

We’ve integrated a built-in Friends List into the in game user interface. You’ll be able to browse Recent Players, Friends, navigate their File Shares, Recent Games, Combat Records – all within this in-game menu system designed to streamline the social process within the game. Sending game invites and joining Friends’ games has never been simpler than in Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Regional Matchmaking & Party Privacy

Call of Duty: Black Ops will support regional matchmaking filters on a global scale. So, no matter where you’re at in the world, you will have the ability to specify whether you want to match with players from other geographical regions, or only those local to you. This will make communication and lag a much less intrusive variable on your gameplay experience.

Additionally, given Black Ops will support joining games in progress via an even simpler built-in in-game Friends List interface, we’ll allow a Party leader to lock down his lobby to Invite Only, Friends Only, or even Close it altogether if he wants to be in complete control over who enters and exits the Party Lobby.

Call of Duty: Black Ops for PS3

Emblems Do NOT Reset with Prestige

This one is pretty cut-and-dried. A frequently asked question is, “Will my kickass emblem I spent hours perfecting be lost when I prestige?” The answer is “NO!” Emblems are one of the only aspects of Black Ops MP that do not get a full reset upon entering Prestige. Things that will reset when you Prestige are: XP, COD Points, Challenge progressions, Loadouts, and so forth.

So that’s just a few of the lesser-known components to Call of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer, confirmed for the first time here on the official PlayStation.Blog! For more information regarding Black Ops, and all the new features included in multiplayer, head over to our official YouTube channel and watch all the different trailers we have highlighted from the game. Additionally, you can follow me on Twitter (@JD_2020) for more news and updates.

286 Comments

+ UK_Mighty_Blaze on October 27th, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

All this stuff looks amazing. Can’t beleive too bad am not going to get to play any of it cos of the uickscope gimp :( making a sniper only private match would have been great, no idiots coming with RPG’s

+ UK_Mighty_Blaze on October 27th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

Oops Spellcheck *Quickscope*

+ station3fever on October 27th, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

Hell, yessssssssss this is why I preoredered because it keeps getting better and better.
Just reading this article gave me goose bumps LOL. Thank you, love all ya guys & gals.

+ digitalman123 on October 27th, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

Off-line online? Awesome! I’ve been waiting for this! My friends said this would be cross-platform, like playing on PS3 with Xbox 360 players. True?

+ ShadowDoGGG on October 27th, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

I would be less bitter if Activision let Treyarch get their own step rather than trying to be Infinity ward.

Also get rid of that CEO of yours – he is only bad news.

+ SevenFive on October 27th, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

I thought I played Modern Warfare alot but with all that Blac-Ops is offering I might not pick up another game until 11-09-11.

+ subbed on October 27th, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

Now if only the second player could earn trophies as well. Good job Treyarch with the tools available on the system though!

+ InFaMoUz188 on October 27th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

Wait so u mean the in-game friends list and invite system is going to be like how CoD:WaW was? (I doubt sum1 will answer this)

+ tci_balla on October 27th, 2010 at 3:34 pm said:

As much as i love the fact that i can now play online with my brother and use teamwork etc.. this makes boosting wayyy easier.. I serioulsy hope treyarch takes measures to stop boosting..

+ Atheist4Jee-zuhs on October 27th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

Man Treyarch has been blowing my mind. I went from not being interested in Black Ops at all to Day 1 purchase.

I didn’t purchase MW2 because I didn’t like the direction of the multiplayer and I really didn’t expect it to change it so much since sales were still amazing.

I am happy they are listening to the hardcore players because instead of just catering to the casual they are catering to both.

+ fourzeropooo on October 27th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

Hey Josh are we gonna be forced to pay $15 per map pack like in the failed game MW2? I have preorderd the Prestige Edition of Black ops for both Xbox360 and PS3 but if i have to pay $15 per map pack then im on my way to cancel my orders, im sorry. I really want Black ops to be the best FPS of 2010 AND 2011 but im sick of paying through the nose for over priced add-ons. I really hope this gets answered.

+ BLOODY_KOTEXX on October 27th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

let us play our music while gaming

+ suuky on October 27th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

love the fact they edited it so now it doesnt say you can be logged in as two psn [/sarcasm]

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on October 27th, 2010 at 3:47 pm said:

guess what on the cod site and on his twitter he updated and if u look now u cant sign into a 2nd psn account only under a guest for the 2nd on his twitter than the site it has link to saids 360 only and i dont get why put it than remove from here after gettin ppl happy over that and than postin on other site 360 only and yet ps3 can do that and they dont wanna use the feature on ps3 :-(

+ KSPRAYDAD on October 27th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

And….the post is now edited…removing the talk of two full psn logon ids for split screen multiplayer. No note to explain the edit…

+ Sp3cTroNic_ToX1c on October 27th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

I don’t think there would be any boosters because of splitscreen multiplayer because there probably wont been any tactical insertions . Am i wrong??

+ scrumstar8 on October 27th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

Thank you, Treyarch, and thank you Josh for confirming this. This is the one thing I’ve really wanted to do, all my friends on the xbox have fun playing online splitscreen on Halo and I have a bit of fun on Fifa, but CoD is by far the game I play on most online – even if it’s not my favourite.
I was definitely getting the game anyway, but this has made me look forward to this even more!
Thanks again!

+ swcoruscant on October 27th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

Split-screen – nothing can beat it. Online can’t beat splitscreen as a social experience. But online + split-screen is awesome!

+ symbioterelevant on October 27th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

Two of the ‘facts’ were removed. The dual-PSN support and that you can rank up while playing on one PS3 alone. On the official Black Ops site, it now says “(Xbox 360 only) You can bring a 2nd, Gold Xbox LIVE account online!, (Xbox 360 only) Both players with full online accounts can rank-up while playing split-screen, as if on two separate consoles.”

If that’s not valid anymore for the PS3, i’ll be very disappointed. Black Ops should be a game that’s universally equal on both consoles considering the massive impact it’s made on both consoles itself. You’ll be disappointing more than just me, too, Treyarch.

+ Ethereal on October 27th, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

Love the new additions, the in game friends list is a must have. Looking forward to it!

+ GOGOske on October 27th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

this is pretty nice TREYARCH!!! oh.. to all the people asking about signing in 2 different accounts on one PS3 is nuts.. it will be split screen but with a “GUEST” example: GOGOske & GOGOske(1)

+ sindiewen on October 27th, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

I have this game preordered on Steam for my Gaming PC, looks like ill be picking this up on the PS3 as well.

+ KILLZONE79 on October 27th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

Awesomeness written all over this game!

Day 1 Here baby!

Plus i have the whole week off from work on the day of BlackOps is out :)

+ Clxmj on October 27th, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

@121 symbioterelevant:

I noticed this aswell dude, it was posted on the EU forums and for some reason came across both pages.. They removed there statement.

+ AcesZERO-RAZGRIZ on October 27th, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

guys, its not 2 accounts at once
its your account and then a guest.. just your account again with a sub number
like for me my guest would be AcesZERO-RAZGRIZ(1)

+ XScreamingEagleX on October 27th, 2010 at 4:00 pm said:

WOW

costume matches sounds awesome!!

im sure this is the most innovative CoD game yet.

+ IceCold on October 27th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

Two account at once is not ONLY a 360 feature. I’m not sure why these limitation exist, but they need to do something about it.

+ xAllanKx on October 27th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

nice im gonna buy this game the split screen multiplayer sounds awesome

+ Pirate43 on October 27th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

SOLD! you had me at splitscreen online.

+ mouldernet on October 27th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

what happened to 2 PSN accounts online split screen?

+ TSG194 on October 27th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

yeah split screen online thats gonna be so BAD ASS!

+ Mobius_124 on October 27th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

RESISTANCE 2 allowed PS3 owners to allow the second user to Log in with HIS OWN ACCOUNT. the fact that you edited what you said is just PLAIN BULL

+ KiddHarmony on October 27th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

If emblems don’t reset when one prestige, does that mean you can pick the emblem you want to use if you have already unlocked it?

+ T3mpr1x on October 27th, 2010 at 4:19 pm said:

Splitscreen is great and all, but being able to sign in with your own PSN ID would have been perfect…

+ KILLSON13 on October 27th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

This game looks like it will definitely be the best CoD ever!!! Multiplayer Splitscreen, probably 4player ZOMBIES!, Combat Training (with AI), Detailed Custom Games, 4 player Co-Op…. AND More!! The one question I have is Will there be Theater Mode for PS3?

+ david_person on October 27th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Gr8 split-screen online….now how bout some cross console mp 8D

+ KSPRAYDAD on October 27th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

@123 and 126

The blog post has been edited (with no note explaining why)…the ORIGINAL post said we would have full dual PSN logons…now it seems to be a feature for Xbox only.

I was mildly interested in getting the game when I read this feature..so my son and I could play..but now…I’m not again.

Sorry Acti…stop screwing PS3 customers.

+ Unseen_Soul on October 27th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

So the split screen from halo
the CoD online that 360 has
And even less lag

Well now i turned that 1 game im getting at christmas, to 2 :)

+ Unseen_Soul on October 27th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

@ 136

theater is built in the game, not the system interface part of the game. So yes, theater mode IS in the PS3 version

+ RyuuNoSekai on October 27th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

it’s real nice how developers like to shoot down good impressions from their consumers. for once, i thought there would be another developer that could go the extra mile to NOT to pull the rug from under our feet, but in the end they did >_>

+ donutman13 on October 27th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

I hate you Josh. You bring me up with the 2 accounts split screen and then edit and take it off. There’s no reason that you can’t have 2 account split screen on Ps3, there are tons of other games that have the same ability

+ E-Phoenix- on October 27th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

WHY DID YOU REMOVE 2 ACCOUNTS ONLINE AT ONCE.

+ H3llRazor2112 on October 27th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Woah EPIC SPLITSCREEN! thats gonna be so awesome

+ E-Phoenix- on October 27th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

They just removed that you could sign in 2 psn accounts at once. thanks a lot treyarch…

+ theJETbomb on October 27th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

looks awesome but we need in game custom soundtracks!!

+ linux731 on October 27th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

Split screen online? I thought that was Xbox only…

+ Jdot-Mattinson on October 27th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

Seems to me that a more fitting title for this article would be “Little Known About Facts” considering the post had to be edited.

The dual PSN account thing was also confirmed on David Vonderhaars twitter yesterday. He now has a post saying that there is confusion on this, admits to fault, but leaves out the apology. Nice. Thanks a lot guys.

+ Rustbucket80 on October 27th, 2010 at 5:25 pm said:

Everyone is getting hyped up to play the same thing that has been out for a few years now. Try focusing on server and game stability instead of adding crappy features.

+ Nathaneal16 on October 27th, 2010 at 5:25 pm said:

why does the xbox 360 have more features than the PS3? with the xbox, if you have two gold accounts, you can log in both and play split screen online. But with the PS3, you can only use a guest account. Why is that?

+ PARTEE on October 27th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

if anyone sees this comment…please…let your voices be heard..the ps3 community deserves better than this.