Until Dawn

Oct 29

Dead Nation: Weapon Upgrades Trailer, Armor Upgrades and a PS3 Theme

David Bull's Avatar Posted by David Bull on Oct 29, 2010 // Brand Manager, SCEA

Zombies, zombies everywhere. They’re coming from above you and below, they’re coming from all sides. So how are you supposed to fend off the increasing hordes as you progress through Dead Nation? Upgrades!

In Dead Nation’s action-packed levels, it’s crucial to collect as much cash as possible from the undead hordes and trunks of vehicles. Once you find a Weapon Shop, you’ll be able to cash in your loot and purchase more ammo and, most importantly, weapon upgrades. Increasing the power and firing rate for your default Rifle can be the difference between life and (un)death, especially since it’s your designated fallback weapon and the only gun with unlimited ammo. The SMG and Shotgun also benefit enormously from power and firing rate, helping you annihilate dozens of ghouls at a time. You can also upgrade ammo carrying capacity and clip size for most weapons, while power weapons such as the Blade Cannon feature special weapon-specific upgrades.

What’s more, you can also upgrade deployable items. Grenades can have a greater blast radius, flares can burn longer to make for an even more useful diversion, and mines can be infused with multi-stage explosive charges to keep the pain coming. You can also increase your carrying capacity for these items – if you’ve got the cash!

You’ll also come across armor pieces hidden throughout the environments of Dead Nation, so keep your eyes peeled for golden crates. Armor pieces can be mixed and matched, enabling you to customize your character’s attributes at Weapon Stores in between levels. Want to be a melee master? Select armor with a high Strength rating. Want to shrug off enemy zombie attacks? Max out your Endurance rating. Prefer to rely on evasive maneuvers? Choose armor with high Agility. You can mix and match to specialize in one attribute or become a Jack of all trades, so the choice is yours!

This week on the PlayStation Store, we released the City of the Dead theme for free. Hope you all enjoyed it! Keep your eyes on the Store next week as the Dead Man’s Hand dynamic theme is coming out on Nov. 2nd for North America. You can pick it up for $2.99 but we’re giving it away for FREE for PlayStation Plus subscribers. Enjoy!

Dead Nation Dynamic theme

PAGE 1 2

+ BlooodyCow on October 29th, 2010 at 9:03 am said:

When is this game going to be release?

David Bull's Avatar

+ David Bull on October 29th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

Dead Nation will be releasing post-Halloween. The folks at Housemarque are working hard to make the best possible game. They’re in the final stretch and are perfecting the gameplay, upgrades and implementation of online co-op. The visual effects have come a long way in the latest build and you’ll be impressed with what you see — Super Stardust HD fans will be really happy with the number of special effects and physics Housemarque have crammed onscreen at one time.

The next thing you’ll hear from us regarding Dead Nation is a PSN release date. :-)

+ Nintendo451 on October 29th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

I bet instead of announcing a release date, they’re merely going to say, “Dead Nation comes out…TODAY. Go download it from the store now!”

+ letherclad on October 29th, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

The theme looks pretty sweet

can’t wait to get this!

+ Nunchuckles on October 29th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

I like how we have the release date for the theme…. So umm, when is the GAME coming?

David Bull's Avatar

+ David Bull on October 29th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

We’ll have that info to you soon. Stay tuned to the Blog.

+ Bug42 on October 29th, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

Can you say Overkill!

I was excited about this game, but I am starting to burntout on it. (and it is not even out)

Just give us a release date

+ reson8er on October 29th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

Missing the Halloween Release date?! :(

+ xaos on October 29th, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

Such a huge Stardust fan here, not knowing when this game is coming out is killing me. Throw us a bone, guys!

+ DZORMAGEN on October 29th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

WOW! Thanks for the FREE Theme, but I would love to know when the game is coming out!

+ toology01 on October 29th, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

Thanks for the PS plus love. Hope you guys offer a PS plus discount at launch too. Then it would be a day 1 buy for me. Otherwise I might have to wait it out til it does come on sale or free for PS subscribers. Sorry but I gotta try to get as much out of this membership as I can being how it hasnt been very beneficial to me so far except for themes and avatatrs.Game looks fantastic though!

+ proskatercam on October 29th, 2010 at 9:32 am said:

Cool, free stuff :)

+ Kane22_ on October 29th, 2010 at 9:33 am said:

Hey guys i got this crazy idea. lets release Dead Nation after October for some strange stupid reason. seriously why is this game not released yet or even in this month.

+ Asane on October 29th, 2010 at 9:35 am said:

WTF Sony???!!!!!!! When the hell are you gonna tell us a release date for GT5???!!!! It was bad enough it was delayed from its Nov 2 release date, but at least don’t keep the fans waiting in the cold and not knowing what the heck is going on!!!

You guys are just treating the fans like nothing then!

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on October 29th, 2010 at 9:38 am said:

Missing the Halloween release date is kind of disappointing. If you were worried that you’d be competing with Red Dead Redemption’s Undead Nightmare, fear not. There’s plenty of room on my HDD for zombies.

The videos and themes are unnecessary at this point. A demo would be much better if you can’t release it soon. I played the beta and it was great, so I can’t wait to play it some more, even if it’s just a demo.

+ BlooodyCow on October 29th, 2010 at 9:39 am said:

off topic

Can people push for this feature to be implemented on the PSN. Sorry that it is off topic, but I Sony really need to do something about this.

+ Bearcut on October 29th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

I am getting a little jaded by your broken promises. I know it isn’t the developers fault (well, maybe with GT5/PD it is) but PLEASE stop over-hyping your games. I was literally ready to buy a dozen PS3 games these season, and the majority were delayed, and I just didn’t have to heart to purchase the ones that weren’t. THIS IS AFFECTING CONSUMERS.

That is all.

+ Butters360 on October 29th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

Amazeballs. I want this game already!

+ Shinmigami on October 29th, 2010 at 9:50 am said:

I was hoping for it in time for all hollows eve, but now I am saddened.

+ zombie_56 on October 29th, 2010 at 9:55 am said:

its a day one buy for me

+ siriusbee on October 29th, 2010 at 10:00 am said:

Seriously. With the GT5 release in a blackhole, and no indication of when this is coming out – wth is Sony playing at?

If this is some nutball attempt at marketing, Sony should realize that ‘teasing’ only goes so far in being effective at building anticipation. After a certain point, it becomes a negative factor and detrimental to marketing a product. This game is starting to get there, especially with the missing out on Halloween blunder. :\

+ x_NiiGHTMARE_x on October 29th, 2010 at 10:00 am said:

Cant wait for this game to come out. When is it releasing?! I was hoping around Holloween but that was a no go.

thanx for the free theme! =)

+ r-nice on October 29th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

Release date.

+ atone1382 on October 29th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Damn I can’t wait for this go up. And another dynamic theme free for me! Please release this soon lol!

+ SPOOKULA209 on October 29th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

is this game coming out next week on the PSN?

+ Azured_Scorpio on October 29th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Thats cool, c’mon guys I want that game nice and polished! I played the beta and loved it, I know it will be awesome! Stay strong!

+ YeWest_is_da_man on October 29th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Would’ve made sense to release it this week… you know… Halloween Weekend and all… :/ I’m all for “making the best game possible” or whatever, but if your release date was sometime close to Halloween, don’t you think that you could’ve maybe said: “Oh, why don’t we work on it a little more and get it out for Halloween!” I fell in love with this game when I first saw it… but now that it’s an after Halloween release- it doesn’t make much sense to get it nor does it make much sense for it to cost that much… you could’ve gotten maybe $10 out of me if this were before Halloween, but now, since there isn’t much incentive to pick it up, I’d expect around $5 (And yes, just that one weekend make’s that much of a difference because it make’s no point to play a Zombie game in the middle of Thanksgiving and Christmas- unless you come out with a Christmas themed Zombie game… Oh, now that sound intriguing doesn’t it? A bunch of zombie reindeer!)

+ Link01 on October 29th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

Yea PSPlus and free awesome themes :D

+ whitwhit on October 29th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

can you at least give us a time frame so basically your saying sometime this holiday season we can expect the game. MAN :(

+ subadictos on October 29th, 2010 at 11:21 am said:

Thanks for the Free Theme for PLUS members. Very happy about my subscription, by the way. This game will be a day one buy for sure!!!

+ SpyDudeFX on October 29th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

I loved the beta earlier last month and look forward to that free dynamic theme until the game is released.

+ BATTLEFACE on October 29th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

Are there any plans for there to be a zombie game with the normal 3rd person/ 1st person action perspective? There are already a few games available on the PSN with this topside view and I don’t really see how one can get immersed in a zombie game where you can only view everything from above.

David Bull's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on October 29th, 2010 at 2:19 pm said:

Believe me: The camera angle is crucial to Dead Nation. :-) You’ll see…

+ stryfee on October 29th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

I just recently picked up a 3D TV and your SSHD and love the 3D implementation to the game. Will Dead Nation also have a 3D mode on launch or will there be a patch later down the line?

+ Joe-TFW on October 29th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

When first announced, I thought this was going to be another generic top/down shooter. But, lately, these videos have really swayed me. I’ve gone from skipping to buying day one. Kudos to the team for knowing how to successfully build a fan base and making, what looks to be, a pretty fun experience.

Now I just have to wait (im)patiently for the release…

+ Gitaroo on October 29th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

hopefully coming soon means…. Nov….. 2nd……. Pixel Junk Shooter 2 can be in Dec, this game is more exciting!

+ AngleofDeath696 on October 29th, 2010 at 3:29 pm said:

Dead Nation is looking great can’t wait to download it.

+ jvasq on October 29th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

+ fuzzyclutter on October 29th, 2010 at 4:55 pm said:

glad to hear you were improving visuals , i’m highly interested in this game . but the last video i saw of it didnt really impress me . like the zombies getting blew up and they all go stiff as a board and fly into the air in unison . i’ll be looking for this .

+ Suicidal-idol on October 29th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

release date please

+ JoeDierte on October 29th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

I know that the developer hoped to have this out before Halloween. Also most of us respect the work they have done on Stardust. How much time and how many resources were taken away from the Dead Nation project to convert Stardust to a 3D title before the SONY CES 2010 3D booth?

+ JoeDierte on October 29th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

I think Capcom (Dead Rising 2) and Team 17 (Alien Breed) took my business away from Dead Nation due to the many delays of this title.

+ KonKarA on October 29th, 2010 at 7:42 pm said:

I soooooooooooo cant wait for this game! I think I cans agree we’ve all been waiting for this one. Big thanks for adding online co-op!

+ siriusbee on October 29th, 2010 at 10:45 pm said:

@54 Good point.

+ mundox86 on October 30th, 2010 at 1:36 am said:

Looks like alien swarm with zombies.

+ CButera24 on October 30th, 2010 at 8:18 am said:

I cant wait for this game to come out. it looks awesome and its right up my alley for games. And if its a DLC game ill love it even better. i wish ALL my games were just “ON” my PS3, just like all my movies and music.

+ badtwin5150 on October 30th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

I love zombies! I can never get enough. I can’t wait for this to come out. It looks great.

+ Thrill_Kill on October 31st, 2010 at 1:00 am said:

Will this game have a 3D mode like Super Stardust HD has? I would love to be able to have another 3D game to use on my new 3DTV. A zombie killing one at that.

Also, will there be Custom Soundtrack support?

Lastly, will you be including some cool live FMV footage in the game as seen in the trailer? I’m a sucker for the FMV intro’s to games of old (3DO era). I would love to see one get included in the game for the beginning. :D I hope you have time to answer my questions.

+ eyesofreality03 on October 31st, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

i suppose a post halloween release is ok, woulda sold a ton if it was pre halloween tho. oh well still a day one for me,and thanx for the FREE theme!

+ Lord_Rinja on October 31st, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

I hope this game comes out soon. I’ve been anxiously awaiting this since I seen the trailer at Gamescom in Playstation Home. I got the Standee and the framed poster. I just need the game :-) Also, is there a demo being released for this game?

+ Go_Buddie_Go on October 29th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

Day one buy, No doubt about it. From what I’ve read and seen it looks like they crammed so much content into this game.

HouseMarque, You got my money.

+ Kirkpad on October 29th, 2010 at 11:39 am said:

Sweet stuff, a free dynamic theme.

The BETA was damn good, I’ve got to say. And now that they’ve confirmed online co-op, it’s pretty much a steal at any price.

+ MOPARFUL99 on October 29th, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

So the more I see on this game the more I am salivating for it.. I’ve been playing the crap out of burn zombie burn and this looks miles better.. I don’t like how on burn zombie burn you have such a small limited area to move around and you get swarmed so easily… This game is going to be sweet..

PAGE 1 2