Uncharted 4

Hulu Plus Soon Available to All PS3 Users

Susan Panico's Avatar + Posted by Susan Panico on Nov 04, 2010 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network

As you may have already seen, today Sony announced the availability of the Hulu Plus service on 2010 BRAVIA HDTVs and BRAVIA Internet Video Link via the BRAVIA Internet Video platform and will soon be available on Blu-ray Disc players, Blu-ray Home Theater Systems, Network Media Player and DASH. But, perhaps the most exciting news for all of you PlayStation fans is the upcoming availability of Hulu Plus to all PlayStation 3 users in the United States who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and its variety of online content.

Hulu Plus for PS3

Beginning next week, Hulu Plus will lift the invitation-only availability of its service, which was previously exclusive to select PlayStation Plus subscribers, and open it up to all PlayStation Network members, making the PlayStation 3 the first and only console dedicated to gaming to offer the service.

The Hulu Plus subscription service offers full current season runs of hit TV programs from major broadcast programming studios and will add to the more than 27,800 movies and TV episodes already available on the PlayStation Store, providing the most exhaustive catalogue of entertainment content to PlayStation Network members.

We’ll have more to share next week, so make sure to check back in for details on where you can find Hulu Plus on the PlayStation Network.

142 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Nintendo451 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:06 am said:

Hmm…now let’s see. Discless Netflix or Hulu Plus.

Companies: Give me more and more features and that will decide what I go with.

Competition ftw.

+ angeleus09 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

Honestly you get both. NETFLIX for the instant streaming movies and Hulu Plus for the current TV shows. Together they’ll run you about $20/mo and that sure beats the hell out of paying for cable.

+ bbonds_007 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

Boooo! Give me FREE Hulu over the internet browser again!

+ BiezulbubBill69 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:14 am said:

Sony always wins.

+ siriusbee on November 4th, 2010 at 7:16 am said:

@1: The services are complimentary. Hulu provides ‘current’ programming for television shows (and some older movies). Netflix, meanwhile, has a lot of tv shows that are ‘out on DVD’ and a good selection of movies that are ‘out on DVD’ as well.

IMO, on the technical side, Netflix wins out, offering better quality video/sound. Their implementation on the PS3 is also much better than Hulu’s. Netflix also doesn’t have ads.

+ JuanPARADOX on November 4th, 2010 at 7:16 am said:

@angeleus09

You have a great point. I just wish there would be like an exclusive service on PS3 that would allow us to stream live tv for a reasonable price good enough to compete with even the most successful tv services since things such as netflix are already competing with on-demand movies!

+ Jeanse27 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:19 am said:

And for us Canadians? When will the service be available?

+ u2vini on November 4th, 2010 at 7:19 am said:

“to all PlayStation 3 users in the United States”… snifff… i have being in canada right now ;)

+ totounda23 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:20 am said:

Does anybody know if this service will be available in Central America? Netflix doesn’t… thanks!

+ letherclad on November 4th, 2010 at 7:20 am said:

Good news, I have the Hulu plus installed on my ps3 but never subscribed to it, I’m happy with what I get for free on my computer, but I’ve been considering subscribing.

+ Philaroni on November 4th, 2010 at 7:21 am said:

Any chance we can get Move support for both the Netflix and the Hulu Plus app down the road?

+ LightAce on November 4th, 2010 at 7:22 am said:

Google TV please!

+ ddb216 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:23 am said:

Netflix ftw. But I’ll give it a try

+ SimGrave on November 4th, 2010 at 7:26 am said:

HAHAHA… “Hulu Plus Soon Available to All PS3 Users”.
That is if you are in the USA.
By reading the title I was excited to finally see a feature that would launch for every one around the world for every PS3 owners.
But nope, not all once again.
I understand the region constraint that prevent some features to be available, but, it’d be nice for all owners to take advantage of the same stuff.
Well, Hulu is still a awesome news for US residents.

+ dfoz3 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:26 am said:

This is a little bittersweet for me. I enjoy Hulu Plus and I just renewed my PS+ account for 3 more months for this specific purpose. :(

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:30 am said:

@7 when u move to the U.S. ; )

+ subbed on November 4th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

Hulu Plus needs to drop the price for me to bite. While it would be nice to have the service across an array of devices $10 for commercial filled programming doesn’t cut it for me.

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:35 am said:

@17 Agreed…. commercials blow , why should I pay to watch advertisements =/

+ joaryche on November 4th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

that’s great..and they do need to lower the price.

+ McSaTeN on November 4th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

I cant get enough of Netflix since they added all that Anime a few weeks ago. With hulu plus that will pretty much turn my ps3 into cable a box. :)

+ hush404 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:39 am said:

Your title is MISLEADING.

You claim “Hulu Plus for ALL PS3 owners” yet you point out in your article that only USA residents will be able to get it. Thus you’ve cut out the entire rest of the world, including myself in Canada and thus you’re NOT bringing it to ALL PS3 owners. USA is NOT the entire base of PS3.

+ McSaTeN on November 4th, 2010 at 7:41 am said:

Not to mention I hate watching Netfix on my Xbox 360, the fan is too loud you have to turn the volume up lol

+ MonkeyGibber on November 4th, 2010 at 7:41 am said:

The service should be free to Plus users, I’d feel like I was getting my moneys worth then.

+ Wipeoutt31 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:42 am said:

“…and will add to the more than 27,800 movies and TV episodes already available on the PlayStation Store”

What? O.o

+ McSaTeN on November 4th, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

@ 21

You do have a point, it sucks that different regions get different features

+ Wipeoutt31 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

I think I’m reading that wrong. Nevermind.

+ Dafreakzo on November 4th, 2010 at 7:44 am said:

I will never pay for Hulu. NEVER!

+ ArcaneAltair on November 4th, 2010 at 7:44 am said:

I agree. They removed it from the web browser for this, so it should be free if you payed the 50$ for PS+.

Or at least a reduced price.

+ twooh on November 4th, 2010 at 7:45 am said:

@16

LMFAO!

I was gonna say the exact same response. Hahahaha.

Good one!

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:46 am said:

“Hulu Plus to all PlayStation 3 users in the United States” is the sentence. I dont see how thats misleading. Stop complaining on blog that you dont get services provided by a U.S. company just because you live in different country. Thats SCECs problem not ours. Complain to them.

+ polo155 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:52 am said:

Please make it “Remote Play”-able!

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

why is it the United States is expected to solve the problems of people in other countries?
Can’t you do anything for yourselves? hehe ; )

+ TheZed88 on November 4th, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

This is very awsome…

Now how about these rumors I have read about Google TV coming to the PS3? :)

With all these video options I think it is becoming difficult to call the PS3 a “Gaming Console”. We may need a new term for it.

+ brianjwd on November 4th, 2010 at 7:54 am said:

This is awesome!

+ djspinal on November 4th, 2010 at 7:59 am said:

Do we still have to watch commercials if we subscribe? They dont mention it on the hulu site.

It’s really confusing, how is this mega corp that owns hulu making their money, and what are they gonna do with my cash? It sounds like they already made enough from commericals to put all the content on a server. Wat else do they have 2 pay 4 that ads, digital download and/or dvd sales are not covering?

Where is google.tv?

How come netflix doesnt charge extra to watch on ps3?

xmb audio party chat?

It’s been almost FOUR YEARS of requests now.

Also, does Qore really hav 2 b a 2GB file? Its seems like a lot of it can b streamed. It really feels like a glorified dvd menu .iso rip. (sorry, severely off-topic. just P.O.’d AGAIN)

+ TwinDad on November 4th, 2010 at 8:05 am said:

So this will be on a firmware update to my Sony Blu-Ray player. With that and netflix I’m set.

+ Superstrokey1123 on November 4th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

Sounds great, i know you dont control Hulu but do you know when it will be coming to Canada? It would be a great asset to me and my family.

+ djspinal on November 4th, 2010 at 8:25 am said:

Sorry to double post but this topic makes me so upset..

Let’s b honest, for the cost of a one month subscription to hulu plus, I can buy a DVI converter (as an example) and hook up my pc directly to any tv that has an hdmi port, right?

Wheres the value, i dont c it?

Feels like a cash grab fleecing to me.

If i can watch youtube and netflix on my ps3 AND my droid, y pay for hulu when its already been paid for? i.e. ads on tv, ads on hulu, my exhorbently overpriced monthly cable bill.

This stuff should really b included in my on demand package I pay the cable company for already.

+ Viprdude on November 4th, 2010 at 8:28 am said:

To all nay-sayers about it being a US region thing and complaining about it. This covers all US region PS3 users.

This is the US Blog. Go somewhere else if you want your region specific PlayStation information. The URL itself, blog.us.playstation.com would inherently mean this information will broadly cover the US region. To require further elaboration is a waste of time.

Complain to your local Sony Regional office if you want to have your voice heard.

+ DZORMAGEN on November 4th, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

Hulu<Netflix

+ LordRaoh on November 4th, 2010 at 8:36 am said:

the problem with hulu plus is that the service lacks some of the free content.

i could find and watch community on my pc via the free service but hulu plus on my ps3 did not have the content.. lots of other shows and seasons missing from the plus version.

very poorly done on hulu’s part. its a rip off to be charged for less content.

+ purplestream on November 4th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

Meh Netflix is better

+ FormerPSfan on November 4th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

The whole post and the shill comments scream arrogance & discrimination. Acting like the majority of the worlds population are second class citizens and that your somehow doing us a “huge favour” by even talking to us.

Sony get stuffed.

+ The1stMJC on November 4th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

I like how people always ask if this will be available in their country. This is the US blog last time I checked.

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 4th, 2010 at 8:44 am said:

FormerPSfan = troll

+ Steve0043 on November 4th, 2010 at 8:47 am said:

1. Title > “Hulu Plus Soon Available to *All* PS3 Users”
2. Body Text > “upcoming availability of Hulu Plus to all PlayStation 3 users in the *United States*”

Can you perhaps revise your Headline, since it clearly isn’t available for *all* PS3 users.

PS3, it only does everything (exept the things it doesn’t do)

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 4th, 2010 at 8:52 am said:

They dont need to revise anything.
It is available to all ps3 users this blog represents.
This is http://blog.us.playstation.com

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 4th, 2010 at 8:56 am said:

they dont need to revise anything.
it is available to all ps3 users this blog represents.
This is the us blog. Check URL.

+ mrpaulryan on November 4th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

Who would ever be dumb enough to pay for free TV?

+ phat-smurf on November 4th, 2010 at 9:06 am said:

@omega_alpha well there is no Canadian blog is there

PAGE 1 2 3