Driveclub

PlayStation Home Updates Core Client to Version 1.4

Locust_Star's Avatar + Posted by Locust_Star on Nov 05, 2010 // PlayStation Home Community Manager

Hey everyone!

Great news: On Thursday, November 11th, PlayStation Home will update to version 1.4. This update to the core client will have an enormous impact on users and developers alike, as it is literally jam-packed with new and revised features. A full list of these features will be posted next week, but before the weekend hits I wanted to hop in here and give you all a sneak peek at some of the exciting new features that will be coming with this update.

PlayStation Home Logo

Grouping and Voice Chat
That’s right – voice chat is coming back! With version 1.4 you will be able to form a “Group” with up to 8 people and chat with one another in both public and personal spaces. The best part is that these groups will have dedicated voice and text chat channels that allow you to speak to members of your group regardless of where each of you may be located in-world! New voice and chat channels will also be made available for clubs, making communication with other members of your club much easier.

Wardrobe Improvements
Alongside improved voice chat, many of you have asked for additional inventory/wardrobe management features. Our development team has taken your requests very seriously and have instituted sweeping improvements, including:

• You will now have the ability to mark items as “Favorites” – making commonly-used items much easier to relocate.
  • Newly-acquired items (along with categories that contain new items) will be marked accordingly.
  • Options for filtering and sorting items have been added, giving you greater control over which items you see and how they are displayed.

There is also a new “Storage” section that will be added to your wardrobe so you can store away items that you do not regularly use. For those with a lot of items in their wardrobe, placing items into storage will result in your wardrobe loading faster, and will make it easier for you to browse your main wardrobe. This system is very flexible and allows you to quickly restore items to your main wardrobe when you need them.

While these are some of the most important changes associated with version 1.4, this does not represent the entire scope of the update. Trust me – we have tons of cool stuff in store for you next week ;) Stay tuned to this blog for a more in-depth list of all the awesome features and improvements coming your way next Thursday.

See you in Home!

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ siriusbee on November 6th, 2010 at 2:43 am said:

@101 Exactly.

Getting group chat within the Home context isn’t that great, considering there was ‘Home-wide’ chat before. But if this can be extended so that the group can enter an actual PS3/PSN multiplayer game with the group voice-chat still active — that is, I think what people really want.

Hope that this is the gateway to actually doing that.

+ KnightRid on November 6th, 2010 at 4:21 am said:

I tried Home a couple times and mostly found loud mouthed little kiddies who think they are cool or guys who just run up to every girl they see and hit on them (like you really stand a chance with an avatar).

I tried talking to a couple people or groups and out of 20 times I tried, 2 people actually wanted to talk. What a lame system. Maybe if I was half my age or younger I would love to have cliches in every aspect of my life but not at 40.

Funny story – some loser actually threatened me HAHAHAHA If he only knew ;)

So, how about an “adults over 30 or 35 or 40″ area only? Maybe get rid of some of the 20ish children that still live at home with mommy and daddy and live their lives virtually. Now THAT would be something that may bring me back to Home. Being able to have a civilized conversation about a game or politics or whatever, without having to hear a kiddie swear every other word.

Until that time, I really wish you would take the focus away from Home and maybe look at some other things that don’t make sense on the system (Dragon’s Age Ultimate is cheaper than the DLC packs alone! – stupid things like that should be addressed before a new sofa comes to Home)

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 6th, 2010 at 4:32 am said:

Take that you darn PUNK kids!!

Wait…. what were we talkin’ bout?

OH YEH.. stop skateboarding on the
sidewalk you darn kids! lol ; )

+ phinnv8 on November 6th, 2010 at 6:40 am said:

Cool, people would have been far happier with cross game voice chat than anymore pointless PS Home updates (which are neat for like 10 min then useless again). Sony just headed in the wrong direction big time with PS3 and that’s why they are in last place.

Oh well, at least we’ll get Black Ops. Oh wait, we gotta wait for DLC longer though for the biggest shooter of the year.

At least we’ll get LBP2 and GT5… oh wait, nope, we won’t get those this year either.

+ jedihermit on November 6th, 2010 at 9:37 am said:

Home is pretty lame. I spend more time waiting for each section to download than I do looking for something useful or fun to do. Its an interesting concept but way too slow to be usable to me.

+ ADAMPwns on November 6th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

Hi guise. Will I still need to jump through loops to download it?

+ The_Outrage on November 6th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

I don’t use Home frequently due to the amount of mundane waiting it forces on the user. Often times, I’m either waiting for content to download or I’m waiting in a line to experience the mini-games. Until this limitation is resolved the number of repeat Home users will be limited.

Sony needs a universal cross-game voice chat and party system options implemented ASAP. I recently picked up an Xbox 360, for the second time, and the multiplayer aspects of that console greatly exceed those of the PS3. The cross-game chat, in addition to the the party system, allows me to quickly establish matches with groups of friends. This means I’m more inclined to actually use the multiplayer aspects of a game, and therefore, more likely to purchase said game in the first place.

Sony has had over four years to catch up. Instead of giving the us, PS3 owners, what we really want, we have instead received questionable content such as Life with Playstation and Home. I can’t help but think this development effort would be better spent honing the console’s missing core-functionality.

+ pitythefool852 on November 6th, 2010 at 12:34 pm said:

@The_Outrage Leave Life with PlayStation alone… I use it almost every night to charge up my controllers and to do a bit of good for mankind.

I know a lot of people want Cross Game Chat, but it might just not be possible given the amount of legacy software on the PS3 that wasn’t coded to have a voice chat app running in the background.

I would like a better way to party up though. Perhaps with these updates, Home could start to become that party system where you can meet up with your friends easily and start games together.

For Home, as I said before, I hope that we can listen to our own music in-game and share the title of what we’re listening to with people online.

I’d also like the opportunity to easily take screenshots anywhere and save them to the hard disk. Is that already possible? I can’t find the option anywhere

+ strider367 on November 6th, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

Nice start but as long as your adding more amore active items. Lots of furniture items every week. It is time to consider raising the items and active items space limit…

+ Centurion-Legion on November 6th, 2010 at 3:55 pm said:

Do you have to be PSN friends with the group of people you want to chat with?

+ Keyeszx on November 6th, 2010 at 6:36 pm said:

Finally a update that makes home less of a problem to deal with. This is a step in the right direction. More interactive items, look at the sims they can interact with almost anything. We just stand in front of it.

+ SupaFanboy on November 6th, 2010 at 9:53 pm said:

that is great news!
will there be a random costumazetion option i’ve always wanted that option

+ retro25 on November 6th, 2010 at 10:20 pm said:

Can’t wait for the update, I wonder if it will up me with a issue when watching videos at the theater, bowling alley, etc(it keeps buffering alot and it’s driving me nuts).

+ MAN-OF-PEACE on November 6th, 2010 at 10:32 pm said:

oh my god thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!
Q_Q *wipes tears* sorry I got something in my eye
this is awesome thanks L_S for the info and thanks home staff for this update
this is great news!!!!!
I’ve always been in home now I’ll always have a smile on my ^_^

+ dutchys_packin on November 7th, 2010 at 12:08 am said:

how long will home be down for this update?

+ KURTY_FLIRTY on November 7th, 2010 at 2:57 am said:

At first I was all :D:D:D:D:D
But then it was home and i was like :///
Voice chat :’(

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 7th, 2010 at 5:10 am said:

Home is a nest of pathetic stalker perverts =/

clean it up SONY! please.

+ strider367 on November 7th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

With the advent of more and more active items coming into Home. It is time for the furniture item and active item limit to be raised. Good for us really good for Home. With more sales. Don’t get me wrong this needed update is a move in the right direction. Just a little more is needed now…

+ pretty-KlTTY on November 7th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

You can count on a VERY Satisfied poll vote from me!
THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ RKO4204LIFE on November 7th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

PS HOME is Awesome…met some real cool people on there as soon as i went on there my 1st time last year…Kinda Glad they’re updating it..and now you can chat with up to 8 ppl…kinda sweet

+ Stubs24 on November 8th, 2010 at 9:55 am said:

I just wish you could watch content stored locally with friends. That is what I am truly waiting for. There are a ton of videos I want to share with friends of mine. 6 Person video chat and picture sharing is already amazing on the PS3, lets get some video sharing in HOME! And if that happens to be in this update bricks will be shat.

+ monster_boss on November 8th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

you should add more on the friends list. mine is 100 and i need another 100 added on or at least a 300 limit minimum would be great!

+ TemetNosce83 on November 8th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

Umm, we still want to be able to chat across games. Please work on this, Sony. Thanks!

+ Lucky13X on November 9th, 2010 at 6:38 am said:

Okay Locust_star you just blew my mind with this post.

Thanks for bringing back the public voice chat and in a manner that makes sense.

Also, thank you so very much for the wardrobe improvments and storage for FREE. Heck, I was willing to pay for the improvements you mentioned in your post, so I may need to reward you guys with some real estate purchases. I haven’t bought a few in a long while.

Thanks again for all that you and your team do for the Home community.

P.S. I still want an E3 Home controller or the one they had for purchase & unlocking at level streak 25 in the Move space that I ran out of time for getting.

+ Lucky13X on November 9th, 2010 at 6:39 am said:

Sorry, I meant to say MOVE controller.

+ ironmanthing on November 9th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

Dear Locust_Star,
I would very much appreciate it if you could inform me, to the extent of your knowledge, what, if anything, is being done about the Bioshock Furniture items being incorrectly coded(?) as “active furniture”. It is very frustrating to me to have purchased so many pieces of furniture and to only be able to display a desk and a chair or two tables. i would really like to have more than just two bioshock items placed at a time, and at my rapture metro apartment. I cannot even make an adequate dance floor with the playground boom box. PLEASE, please tell me that in the future, hopefully soon, that they will be updated to be normal pieces of furniture…

Ironmanthing

p.s. the rug has been unaffected…weird…

+ TechTrekker on November 9th, 2010 at 7:10 pm said:

Sounds great. Can’t wait for more information.

+ zimbabwe_BALLS on November 10th, 2010 at 8:18 pm said:

This update sounds pretty neat. Will we have to update ourselves or is it automatically updated?

+ raykdotcom on November 11th, 2010 at 4:18 am said:

ok say what you like bout it, don’t like it don’t play it..but what time will it be back on? or did i miss sommert?

+ maddogmateo on November 11th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

This new update just came out today AND ITS TAKING ME LIKE 15 YEARS TO LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ maddogmateo on November 11th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

When will they make a lay down thing for beds?

+ SNAKEEATER26 on November 24th, 2010 at 9:51 pm said: