Paragon

Nov 06

Nov 06

The PlayStation Recap

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

With virtually all my free time going to Fallout: New Vegas, I haven’t had much time for anything else this week — except for the delightful PSN dragon game Hoard (and it looks like I’m not the only one).

Otherwise, it’s been a big week with the launch of God of War: Ghost of Sparta on PSP, plus MAG: Escalation and The Walking Dead debuting on PSN. Next week’s shaping up to be a real earth-shaker with The Fight: Lights Out hitting PlayStation Move and Call of Duty: Black Ops landing on PS3. What are you looking forward to?

The PlayStation Recap – PlayStation.Blog

• Reason #6 to Pre-Order God of War: Ghost of Sparta – God of War Game Directors Live — For the first time, all four God of War directors talk about their experiences with the epic action series.
  • No Heroes Allowed! Hits PSN Tomorrow for PSP with Dungeon-A-Day, Multiplayer — And with that, the villain won the day and the world was never safe again. The End.
  • Qore Episode 30 – Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, Tron: Evolution, God of War: Ghost of Sparta and a Visit with My Chemical Romance — Veronica gets an update on the fall’s biggest PS3 and PSP games. Which are you most excited to play?
  • Blood Drive Hits PS3 Tuesday, Car Combat with Zombies — Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe was fascinated by this car combat game set in the zombocalypse.
  • HOARD on PSN Tomorrow, Learn How to Train Your Dragon Today — These tactics help me melt Jeff Rubenstein in our one-on-one competitive Treasure match earlier this week.
  • ModNation Monday: OMG, MNR BFFs! — Even the ModNation isn’t safe from the wrath of Kratos…
  • Follow PlayStation’s Lead and Help Protect Video Games — Read up on the Supreme Court’s initial responses to this legal issue here.
  • ‘The Tester 2,’ Season Premiere Today on PlayStation Network! — The video gamer’s reality show gets its Season Two debut, and it’s free on PSN right now!
  • Free, PS3-Exclusive DLC Launching with Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood — Ubisoft’s way of saying thanks. Get ready to meet Capernicus!
  • God of War: Ghost of Sparta is Now Available! First Reviews Are In — Pecs flexed, vocal chords straining, Kratos plunges onto the PSP. Have you tried out this portable powerhouse?
  • PlayStation Store Update — Hoard is a hoot, especially in competitive or co-op mode. Other highlights include the God of War Collection and MAG: Escalation add-on pack.
  • EyeToy, Innovation and Beyond — PlayStation innovated with hands-free gaming, but we’ve embraced PlayStation Move for a reason.
  • Coming to PlayStation Plus: Shatter, Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus, and DYNOGEMS — A new loadout of subscriber content — Shatter is well worth a shot, if you’ve never had the pleasure.
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 Update: The Creatinator! — This new LBP2 tool shoots anything you want — anything. Yes, even that.
  • This Week in Home: Videos in Hollywood Hills Personal Space, Music in the London Pub, Tons of Items in the Mall! — The Hollywood Hills House lets you and friends watch new movie trailers together.
  • Fat Princess: Did Someone Say PUMPKINS?!? — Find out how the pudgy Princess is celebrating Halloween. Hint: OM NOM NOM
  • Digital Comics Store Update — Iron Man, Dragon Age, Batman, Wonder Woman, Y: The Last Man headline the weekly comics update.
  • PlayStation Move: 1 Million Units Shipped in North America, a Growing Library of Titles — A status check for the hit PS3 motion controller. What’s coming up next?
  • Hulu Plus Soon Available to All PS3 Users — U.S. PS3 owners are about to get a taste of the good stuff — no Plus subscription required!
  • Comet Crash: Bionic Swarm DLC Coming Soon — The new Chronos chapter adds new variety to this PSN tower defense game.
  • MAG Escalation DLC Arrives Today — $9.99 gets you three new maps, new three-faction “Escalation” play mode, and nine exclusive guns.
  • MLG Pro and Killzone 3 in Dallas this Weekend, Win a Free Pass Now — The contest is over, but 50 lucky gamers got free passes to try out Killzone 3’s new multiplayer mode in Dallas.
  • God of War Collection: Lost Atlantis Level Revealed — You may also want to check out this video of God of War III’s long-lost original final battle.
  • PlayStation Network Video Content Update — The debut of AMC’s The Walking Dead and Toy Story 3 make this a fine week to be a couch potato.
  • Next Week on PSN: Crescent Pale Mist — Rockin’ Android show video of their latest bullet hell title, a 2.5D action/platformer coming to PSN next week.
  • PlayStation Home Updates Core Client to Version 1.4 — Voice chat! Inventory organization! Get the skinny on what’s coming to Home next week with version 1.4.
  • LittleBigPlanet Community Update — Three of the most impressive LBP2 beta creations we’ve seen yet, including dueling jets and a pachinko game!
  • How to Fight Dirty in The Fight: Lights Out for PlayStation Move — Rey’s newest video masterpiece includes epic music, dirty boxing, and Danny Trejo. What’s not to like?
  • Play the MAG Beta with Zipper!

Courtesy of Jeremy Dunham

• MAG Escalation DLC Coming November 2 — To celebrate the release of the Escalation DLC, we’re offering two other deals to existing and would-be fans.
  • Zipline Podcast – Episode 24 — Scott Rudi and Ben Jones return to talk about their moves to the SOCOM 4 team and what’s in store for players with MAG’s Escalation add-on.
  • Escalation, Patch v2.02a Available November 4 — As a thank you to our loyal fans, we’ve activated a “Double XP” bonus of +100% to MAG as a whole.
  • MAG Escalation DLC Arrives Today — The PS3′s massive, ever-changing global war just got bigger.
  • UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves banner

Courtesy of Arne Meyer

• The Lab <3’s Halloween — The Halloween weekend episode of “The Lab” features 2 vs 2 Elimination. The suspense created by having only one life per round in Elimination fits a Halloween nicely, don’t you think?
  • Add Your Own

DZORMAGEN said:

November 6th, 1:48 pm

I know this question will be ignored, but here goes nothing…. When is the release of GT 5?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 6th, 6:33 pm

I won’t ignore it, but there’s no news at this moment.

Sonicfan11589 said:

November 6th, 1:49 pm

I think my question will get ignored as well, buy hey, u never know, any plans on discounting any PSP on PSN fighting games such as Street Fighter: Alpha 3 Max and Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (it’s been out for over a year both retail and PSN). At least drop it to $29.99.

luciFOUR said:

November 6th, 1:56 pm

I’d hate to bother the guys at Sony, but I’m thinking the same as #1. We need a date…

PSN_ZJJ said:

November 6th, 1:57 pm

The Walking Dead, OMG what a great show! I was amazed by how much effort and detail went into that show.

Last thing can SCEA give the employee of the year award to Ken Chan for staying with the blog readers on Tuesday, keeping us updated and taking care of those who had issues with the GoW DLC codes. Give him a big thank you from me if anything.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 6th, 6:35 pm

Ken’s a great guy and I was glad to see he stuck with the GOW fans during the PS Store tech issues earlier this week. Thanks all for your patience! Folks were scrambling, believe me.

NorthernLitez said:

November 6th, 2:00 pm

Please hand out some Beta Codes for Lbp2…my kids are dying to play this game. Thx for the recap another great week for Playstation.

Mucudadada said:

November 6th, 2:01 pm

I know this question will be ignored, but here goes nothing…. When is the release of God of War 5?

mzdez214 said:

November 6th, 2:03 pm

*Sigh* Still no LBP2 Beta for me…):

The1stMJC said:

November 6th, 2:04 pm

I will ask as well even though I have lost interest in the game.
    When is GT5 coming out? A real date would be appreciated.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 6th, 6:36 pm

The second I know, you’ll know.

digitalman123 said:

November 6th, 2:10 pm

I’d love to be in the LBP2 beta! I might be! Haven’t checked my e-mail for a while.

I’m playing: God of War: Ghost of Sparta, God of War Collection: God of War (gonna beat it in 5 hours peoples!), Sly 2 (for memories! Found all bottles in Monaco in under 15 minutes! Gonna platinum it and the others when the collection’s out on Tuesday!)
    I’m watching: Survivor: Nicaragua
    I’m reading: Frankenstein by Mary Shelly

perrandy said:

November 6th, 2:17 pm

i know this wont be answered either,but when are we going to have the next firmware update?XD

NEJI64 said:

November 6th, 2:24 pm

Fringe one of my favorite show on Fox. I’m not feeling Olivia and Peter relation ship. But the lovely Anna Torv is HOT, who also voiced act for one of PS3’s games Heavenly Sword.

Demonic_Clown said:

November 6th, 2:32 pm

Lovin my LBP2 and KZ3 betas, The Walking Dead was awesome.

So wheres Dead Nation at? I hope its coming BEFORE christmas.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 6th, 6:37 pm

I’m super excited for this too. Nothing to confirm, but with any luck it won’t be long now.

VofEscaflowne said:

November 6th, 2:36 pm

I’m playing: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow which I almost have a platinum in, finally! Also bought Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals which finally released in Canada yesterday.

I’m watching: Caught up on The Walking Dead by watching the first episode last night. It definitely has promise so I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s episode.

I’m reading: Nothing at the moment.

Looking forward to next week’s update for Home. I’m honestly not expecting my main gripes with the service to be fixed but I’ll check it out anyway and who knows, maybe I’ll be surprised.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 6th, 6:39 pm

How do you like Lords of Shadow? I also am greatly looking forward to Sunday’s new Walking Dead — the first episode was rock solid, but most shows get waaaay better in future episodes. I’ve read the comics and I’m hoping the show can capture 25% of that drama.

Jimmy_Cosmos said:

November 6th, 2:44 pm

GT5? You guys are getting buried under Kinect and Black Ops hype.. Gran Turismo really could have given Sony a big name to stand out this holiday. Sad.

JKar275 said:

November 6th, 3:13 pm

@Sid, I’m playing Red Faction: Guerilla and I’m enjoying driving the different vehicles around the surface of a terraformed Mars.

Questions:
    1) Could you bring us some more news about the upcoming sci-fi game named Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon?
    2) Can you please find out from SOE if they’re going to give PS Plus subscribers any discounts on DCUO’s subscription fees?
    3) Please ask Crytek why they have announced a multiplayer beta only for the Xbox 360 version of Crysis 2 and not the PS3 version?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 6th, 6:40 pm

Earth Defense Force: I’ll make a note to reach out for an update. DCUO: SOE is still finishing the game, but I’m sure they’re aware of this request, and I will ask about Crysis. Thanks!

Gogo_ZvC said:

November 6th, 3:28 pm

I’m Playing: Spyro the Dragon (Just beat it 120%), Red Dead Redemption, various minis.
    I’m Watching: Fringe, The Walking Dead, Dexter, The Office
    I’m Reading: One Piece

Good week, good updates! I’m excited about Shatter, next next week.

poodude said:

November 6th, 3:47 pm

I got the MAG DLC, it’s a lot of fun and I suggest MAG fans pick it up :).

Edd said:

November 6th, 3:49 pm

THANK YOU SONY, I just received a message that granted me access to the KZ3 beta! Made my weekend!

Edd said:

November 6th, 3:50 pm

Oh and yeah the MAG dlc is fantastic, I love the new maps.

Kchow23 said:

November 6th, 3:55 pm

A theory of fun is a great book.. learned quite a bit from it since I am studying to be a game designer :P

Deak1124 said:

November 6th, 4:20 pm

Is there an issue with Deimos showing up in God of War 3? I redeemed my code okay, got the 1.03 Update and he still isn’t showing up on the Costume Selection Menu…

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Ken Chan said:

November 7th, 8:44 am

Have you finished God of War 3 at least once? You will need a full game completed save in order to access any of the costumes / skins

MoneyMaker110 said:

November 6th, 4:59 pm

is the mag starter kit a limited time thing?

chilidawg1477 said:

November 6th, 5:17 pm

i wish i could play tenkaichi tag team
    BUT U GUYS WONT PUT IT ON THE PSN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND U DONT HAV A REASON NOT TO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jae775 said:

November 6th, 5:18 pm

I got ghost of Sparta and the story is awesome XD it’s a must have god of war game for all the fans.

omega_alpha-619 said:

November 6th, 5:22 pm

@23 dbz TT will never be on PSN … its UMD only.
    Dont know why some people thought it would.

omega_alpha-619 said:

November 6th, 5:35 pm

“Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team(PSP) UMD-OnlyVegettoEX @ 3:55 pm EDT — A lot of folks have been asking about potential digital distribution for Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Teamon the PSP, the domestic release of DragonBall: TAG VS, so we checked in with Namco-Bandai. Unfortunately for all you PSP Go owners (and loathers of physical media, I suppose), at least in North America, there are no plans to bring anything other than the game’s demo to the PlayStation Store.” – end quote. Source: www. daizex .com

omega_alpha-619 said:

November 6th, 5:42 pm

Namco-Bandai has already stated they have no plans
    for a NA release of DBZ TT on PSN other than the DEMO.

omega_alpha-619 said:

November 6th, 5:43 pm

Arcadian_Rebel said:

November 6th, 5:45 pm

Great MAG DLC that I have been playing! I suggest everyone else who has MAG (and if you don’t, you need to get it!) to buy this DLC.

DarthMoose1986 said:

November 6th, 7:27 pm

I sitll trying to beat castlvania, havent much timy to play it and its flipping long not that im complaining, I don’t want it to end :(

Im also really glad to see fringe return this week, loving season 3 and i’m pumped for tomorrorws episode of the walking dead, must’ve watched the promo like 5 times now. Watching NEw Dexter sunday nigth too.

Dolmeck said:

November 6th, 7:47 pm

Here is an interesting question. Do you think that God of War COO and God of War GOS will ever get converted, you know like GOW 1 and 2 so that they can be played on the PS3 and have Trophy support?

GTerholli said:

November 6th, 7:50 pm

Come on guys… Get that GT5 release date announced already. Sony needs to start the advertising for the game as soon as possible. They have lost many pre-orders…

happycorey said:

November 6th, 8:38 pm

Soony

Kamjatang said:

November 6th, 8:44 pm

When is Tenkaichi Tag Team coming out for PSP on PSN?

lSINGHl said:

November 6th, 8:51 pm

Ignore this but GT5 if there is no information on GT5 then any news posted is a FAIL. There are so many rumors about GT 5 getting released Nov 20 or Dec 2 Or Dec 31 etc. GT5 no release date = FAIL.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

November 7th, 3:25 pm

Nothing’s official until you hear it from us — the rest is rumor/speculation.

lSINGHl said:

November 6th, 8:52 pm

Also people getting the game before other people etc. can’t take it anymore a release date should have been announced at the end of October.

ForgiveMyAim said:

November 6th, 8:54 pm

Loving my Dead Nation dynamic hand theme

df2506 said:

November 6th, 9:41 pm

I’m Playing: Dragon Quest 9 (DS) and Animal Crossing: WW (DS). I finished Costume Quest on Halloween and liked it a lot! I hope DF does another downloadable game soon. :)

I’m Watching: The Walking Dead episode 2 tomorrow. The first episode was great! Also, I’ve watching a lot of Netflix on my PS3. I discovered the very funny series 30 Rock there and I’m also getting to see some my favorites again, like Buffy, Angel, X-Files, Dead Zone, Pushing Daises, The Unusuals, and Dr. Who.

I’m Reading: Just finished The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes. I highly recommend it. VERY good book. Not sure what I’ll read next. I’m thinking I’d like to read Neil Gaiman’s American Gods again, but I also want to read Barnes second book & there is a new King book coming out soon (Full Dark, No Stars). Hmm. Choices, Choices. lol.

omega_alpha-619 said:

November 6th, 10:07 pm

@33 In the year 2025 …. duh -_-

angelspawn77 said:

November 6th, 11:11 pm

Im Playing: GOW collection(specifically GOW2 since I just finished GoS yesterday :D Fantastic game btw)

Im Watching: Big Bang Theory and maybe catch a few movies.

Im Reading: Nothing atm.

VofEscaflowne said:

November 7th, 7:36 am

@Sid Shuman

I’m really enjoying Lords of Shadow and truly don’t understand some of the lower end reviews. While I can understand why some people may think it’s a God of War clone, those people probably go in playing it as if it is a clone when I think it does enough, combat wise, to differenciate itself from the God of War series. The light and shadow magic, combined with the focus system, is very satisfying when used effectively in battle.

Aside from that, the visuals are simply incredible with many jaw dropping moments in some of the later levels. The music, while not traditional Castlevania tunes, is still fitting to the gameplay and very epic in scale and the story is a refreshing take on the series with one of the most incredible endings I’ve experienced in a game in recent memory. Highly recommended!

Livehunter187 said:

November 7th, 9:37 am

I bet it would be awesome if all 5 directors from god of war worked together to make god of war 4…

GTerholli said:

November 7th, 10:57 am

How about we get some free avatars for the love of God.

Deak1124 said:

November 7th, 12:47 pm

@Ken. I just realized you commented on my post today. Yes, I do have a finished God of War 3 save file. I bought the remaining skins that I didn’t have from the store this week, and it all shows up. Deimos is oddly absent, despite my code working fine.