PS4-The Order

NHL “Lights the Lamp” on the PS3

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Nov 10, 2010 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi Everyone – I’m excited to announce that the NHL is streaming its way onto the PS3! Beginning today, all PS3 users in the United States and Canada can download the new NHL GameCenter application, an exclusive offer for PS3 users making it the first and only gaming console to stream live hockey games in HD.

NHL GameCenter LIVE subscribers who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and its variety of online content, can now stream live out-of-market regular season and select playoff game broadcasts in HD by downloading the NHL GameCenter application on the PS3 system. In addition to offering live hockey games, NHL GameCenter LIVE also allows subscribers to watch full-length and condensed replays of the current season games they missed (48 hours after they air, no blackouts) and relive NHL history with unlimited access to over 500 classic games from NHL Vault. Check out the demo to see how it works:

PS3 users that do not have a subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE will still have access to a wide range of NHL content through the NHL GameCenter application. Fans will have access to features such as post-game highlights, team schedules, standings, player stats and profiles, and the full NHL scoreboard.

NHL GameCenter PS3 - Calendar with Sharks favorite team

NHL GameCenter PS3 - Video Playback with Goal Info NHL GameCenter PS3 - Classic Games

You can download the NHL application for $9.99 and access it under the “Video” icon on the XMB menu. However, if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, you can download the NHL GameCenter application for free, continuing PlayStation’s goal to deliver exclusive opportunities only made available to PlayStation Plus members.

If you aren’t an NHL GameCenter LIVE subscriber, you can sign up by visiting www.ps3.com/nhl to get an account and ultimately link it to your PS3 using a registration code obtained through the app on your device. NHL GameCenter LIVE is priced at $169 (U.S.) for an annual subscription and includes the NHL Vault service. NHL Vault is also available separately for $4.95 (U.S.) a month.

We hope you enjoy watching all of the excitement of the NHL delivered via PlayStation Network!

+ Xanthene on November 10th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

I understand I can’t watch in-market games live, but I wouldn’t be able to watch the replay until 48 hours later? With mlb it is 90 minutes.

+ forzanerazzurri on November 10th, 2010 at 10:13 am said:

SONY.. YOU ARE GOOOOOOOOOOD.

+ GTP_Zimmerd on November 10th, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

@ Belvedere

Like your post..
Thought there was a 5 in it for some reason;)

+ juggulator on November 10th, 2010 at 10:24 am said:

And the best thing is if you don’t have a subscription you can still use this app!!! You won’t be able to watch the live games but you can still get standings, scores,and highlights. Now THAT’S a deal :) Now we just need the NBA app. I doubt they’ll do an NFL app because there’s no need for one. There’s Sunday games and MNF, and there’s only about 18 games in the entire season so it’s kinda hard to miss any football. NBA has 82 games just like NHL so I can see them pushing for an NBA app. I just hope they bring it soon.

+ Kchow23 on November 10th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

NBA League Pass Streaming please…

+ M4MISCHA on November 10th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

OMFG!!! I’M IN LOVE <3<3<3 THANK YOU!!! ^_^

+ joostin on November 10th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

Getting PS+ for this! If this is the start of the new content coming to PS+ then I am sold for sure!

Canada loves ya!

+ evildude683 on November 10th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

The hell with them Canadians, when WE will have NFL?

+ Xinef on November 10th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

So the MLB app was free when it came out, I find that very disappointing that the NHL app is 9.99 for non plus subscribers. I still feel like plus has no use for me, and this really isn’t fair for the NHL fans. Sorry, I’m not gonna pay 9.99 and then however much for the NHL GameCenter sub for this app, neither will I pay 49.99 for plus just to get this app free. Not worth it IMO.

+ The1stMJC on November 10th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

Wow the NHL app is amazing now I want the MLB.tv app to steal some of it’s features.

Please get the NBA next I am a huge NBA fan.

+ Kagenish on November 10th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

this is great i like how MLBTV look this looks great also.

yeah i think is time for the XMB to have a TV section.

+ Hazysmile on November 10th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Please… for the love of all things holy get this released in the uk! I need it like a fat man needs snacks…

+ ENCHALOTTASHWTY on November 10th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

MLB NHL ….NBA AND NFL IM ON WITH A HAT ON

+ illmatic610 on November 10th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Directtv won’t let anyone else get Sunday Ticket. So don’t expect an NFL package anytime soon, NBA is far more likely.

+ Stray on November 10th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

I’ve already cancelled cable with MLB.tv and ESPN3 on the 360. This makes it better. Please just add an NBA app (as they already have a broadband service) and I would be one very happy camper.

+ GrandpaOverlord on November 10th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

I knew it sounded to good to be true, why should I pay $169 for this when I can pay that much to DirecTv for the NHL Center Ice, if I am going to pay I might as well pay for live broadcast instead of a steaming fee. Nice try though, just goes to show why I still like my XBOX 360 over the PS3

+ subbed on November 10th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Love it but the subscription is out of my price range, so was the MLB one. I just cant afford to love sports I guess.

+ GrandpaOverlord on November 10th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

@juggulator | November 10th, 2010 at 10:24 am

I already get this on DirecTv, it’s called the NHL Channel, except the NHL channel occasionally shows live games

+ grooveska on November 10th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Another vote for a NBA app!

+ GTerholli on November 10th, 2010 at 11:14 am said:

Please get NBA!

+ TwinDad on November 10th, 2010 at 11:16 am said:

My PS+ subscription just made itself worthwhile. I had gotten anything of value until now. NHL. YES!!!!!!!

+ TheGuardianFID on November 10th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

Very Nice, thank you Sony!!! 8)

+ YeWest_is_da_man on November 10th, 2010 at 11:21 am said:

This is looking pretty great: MLB and now this. If I may be so kind as to reinstate the cries of NFL and possibly even some Soccer? I would love that so much and you’d def. earn my money if this were possible!

+ Chowbacca on November 10th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

I agree, with local blackouts, this deal is dead.

+ PHIBALNATION on November 10th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

FINALLY! YES! Now my flyers will be in HD on my PS3, Jeff I hope you roll with the flyers too, I know your a fellow phillies fan.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 10th, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

Sure do! Went to the Spectrum when I was a tot. You’ll notice a lot of Flyers in that video :)

+ Tezmyster on November 10th, 2010 at 11:45 am said:

Could you provide a link to where it is in the store, I’m in Australia and it’s not on the store here and the US site isn’t agreeing with me. Thanks.

+ spideyal on November 10th, 2010 at 11:48 am said:

THANK YOU SONY!
I’ve always loved you, but now my entire family does.

+ Mobius_124 on November 10th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

if you guys can bring NBA and NFL , that will be great! but so far so good.

Hopefully the MLB app will get an update by spring and do the almost the same thing that this NHL app does like looking up player stats and such.

+ spideyal on November 10th, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

Oh, and I just remembered I suggested this when the MLB app was announced. :) And I can’t find it in the PS Store.

+ dime5150 on November 10th, 2010 at 11:54 am said:

Wow what a cool idea! Pricey but it sure is cool! This should pave the way for a new way to watch sports!

+ KILLZONE79 on November 10th, 2010 at 11:56 am said:

does the playstation facebook app work anymore? i cant add the app tab on my facebook profile

+ Tezmyster on November 10th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

Why is this restricted to the US and Canada? I already subscribe to GameCenter and PSN+, stop rejecting the rest of the world.

+ jahoko on November 10th, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

Sweet, hockey is my favourite sport and on a ps3 make it even better! =D

Now Sony you need to release 30 NHL avatars! I would love to have a Canucks logo on my avatar! Make it happen, please? =)

+ speeddemon187 on November 10th, 2010 at 12:04 pm said:

so pumped for this, go kings!

+ esko on November 10th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

I can’t find it anywhere in my store dose anybody have now?

+ Johnmark on November 10th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

can not find it anywhere on the psn store or in the psn plus area

+ deadcaulfield on November 10th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

I looked under media and then everywhere else and still couldn’t find it.

+ mrkeith on November 10th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

I get 1.5MB/sec with using wireless so would that be enough you think to stream a HD live stream? Thx Sony for including NHL into the APPS for PS3 :)

+ madtyger on November 10th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Yes, yes, yes! Now if only the Sharks would start winning, then all of my dreams would have come true.

+ joostin on November 10th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Ya it has been taken down from the store…why Sony?

+ madhi19 on November 10th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

At $170 a year they could at least give the apps free of charge!

+ Goaliegeek on November 10th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

Nice! Way to go Sony. Love you guys. Still not seeing it under Media in my PSS. as of 1:27pm (In Colorado). +5 for Lempell choosing the Avs!

+ McAdamstry on November 10th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Any plans for release in Australia???

+ JrLeley on November 10th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

Let me help with the echoes… NFL !!!

+ burntreds on November 10th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

But there’s no DVR like function correct? I live on the west coast but follow an east coast team. I can’t be home by 4P to watch games live, so … I have to wait 48 hours for the game?

Is that correct or am I confused.

+ PlayNChilll on November 10th, 2010 at 12:57 pm said:

Paying for a application but just one sport. I mean i m more of a soccer person. I prefer ESPN ( not trying to copy xbox ) but i just prefer ESPN more.

+ Maurisio on November 10th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

Jeff my man, i can’t find this app anywhere i even tried using search.(although i don’t know why im asking since i don’t watch nhl but i like having the option to.)

+ xiked on November 10th, 2010 at 1:00 pm said:

So when is CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT coming??!

+ ringorinfret on November 10th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

This look awesome but please tell me if i’m getting this right:
I can watch any game live, except the one from my favorite team if it’s my city team?

Wow you’re out of luck if you like your home team?

Too bad, I would have been a customer :(

+ ajwilson55 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

WTF? First it’s up and now it’s not. Any update?