PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

NHL “Lights the Lamp” on the PS3

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Nov 10, 2010 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi Everyone – I’m excited to announce that the NHL is streaming its way onto the PS3! Beginning today, all PS3 users in the United States and Canada can download the new NHL GameCenter application, an exclusive offer for PS3 users making it the first and only gaming console to stream live hockey games in HD.

NHL GameCenter LIVE subscribers who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and its variety of online content, can now stream live out-of-market regular season and select playoff game broadcasts in HD by downloading the NHL GameCenter application on the PS3 system. In addition to offering live hockey games, NHL GameCenter LIVE also allows subscribers to watch full-length and condensed replays of the current season games they missed (48 hours after they air, no blackouts) and relive NHL history with unlimited access to over 500 classic games from NHL Vault. Check out the demo to see how it works:

PS3 users that do not have a subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE will still have access to a wide range of NHL content through the NHL GameCenter application. Fans will have access to features such as post-game highlights, team schedules, standings, player stats and profiles, and the full NHL scoreboard.

NHL GameCenter PS3 - Calendar with Sharks favorite team

NHL GameCenter PS3 - Video Playback with Goal Info NHL GameCenter PS3 - Classic Games

You can download the NHL application for $9.99 and access it under the “Video” icon on the XMB menu. However, if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, you can download the NHL GameCenter application for free, continuing PlayStation’s goal to deliver exclusive opportunities only made available to PlayStation Plus members.

If you aren’t an NHL GameCenter LIVE subscriber, you can sign up by visiting www.ps3.com/nhl to get an account and ultimately link it to your PS3 using a registration code obtained through the app on your device. NHL GameCenter LIVE is priced at $169 (U.S.) for an annual subscription and includes the NHL Vault service. NHL Vault is also available separately for $4.95 (U.S.) a month.

We hope you enjoy watching all of the excitement of the NHL delivered via PlayStation Network!

+ ThePheonix1030 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:03 pm said:

Why can’t there be a free version? It can be limited to scores and schedules, just like MLB.tv. :/

+ MustachioedUncle on November 10th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

Gah, what a tease. Say it’s up, but I can’t find it anywhere in the store.

+ MnkyLvr on November 10th, 2010 at 1:10 pm said:

Wow. This is kinda sick. When is the NBA going to jump on board?? THAT’D be effin’ suh-WEET! *nodding*

+ LiquidMetal14 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

I know you guys are reading this, PLEASE BRING OVER NFL OR NBA league pass. I swear you will make some bank on those 2 highly popular sports. Thanks!

+ Sponge-worthy on November 10th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

Still not up…

+ JeepnDave on November 10th, 2010 at 1:22 pm said:

OK guys you have two of the 4 majors…. bring on NBA and NFL then you have us covered!

+ NorthernLitez on November 10th, 2010 at 1:27 pm said:

Finally…Th@nx

+ John_Oval on November 10th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

Im not seeing it, is this US only? Because if this isnt in Canada you guys are nuts!

+ Marston43 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

Thank you SONY. YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

+ Spanktracula on November 10th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

@John_Oval I’m not seeing it here in the US on my PS3 either. Anyone in the US having trouble getting it?

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 10th, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

It’s back up for everyone now. Thanks for your patience!

+ MustachioedUncle on November 10th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

Yeah, I’m not getting it. As of 2pm in Oregon, it’s not available. He said they’re looking into the problem though, so I imagine it’ll be sorted out soon enough.

+ SpyDudeFX on November 10th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

That’s awesome, will download it later. Agree with others, we need NFL and NBA next.

+ FingerPainting on November 10th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

@burntreds The 48 hour thing should be for local market games only. I’ve had gamecenter for 2 seasons now and if it’s an out of market game you should be able to watch it whenever you want.

And I still don’t see it either as of 3:22 pm (Mountain Time)

+ Mike0804 on November 10th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

@114 Have you seriously not heard of computers and the Internet? NHL Gamecenter was already an online service that charged $169 annually to watch hockey games. Sony just made an app that makes it easier for PS3 users that subscribe to that service to watch those hockey games on their TVs.

+ Phoenix8387 on November 10th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

@114 You do realize that the $170 is not a price set by SCE, right? It’s a price set by the NHL for their Gamecenter service, just as the price for MLB.tv is set by MLB, HuluPlus by Hulu and Netflix by Netflix. Sony doesn’t make the decisions, it’s the service provider that sets the price.
That said, I doubt your TV will have every game (barring blackouts) unless you get some expensive plan from your TV provider anyway.

+ siggy_p on November 10th, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

Yeah!!!! Very excited about this. My Plus membership is finally paying off. I hope you guys do the NBA next.

+ NorthernLitez on November 10th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

Finally, it’s showing up…excited

+ isinkships on November 10th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

NBA League Pass!

+ ElmoPwnStar on November 10th, 2010 at 3:23 pm said:

I couldn’t find it at first in the PSN store but I just went into the search bar and entered in “NHL gamecenter” and found it right on top.
I linked my account however I am not very happy w/ the video quality. I’m not sure if its lag spikes but the video is doing very strange things and audio quality is not being consistent. (I’m watching the prerecorded games btw)

+ Quinzee on November 10th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

this is awesome. you know what would be better than an nba or nfl app? a soccer/football app, accessing the many leagues around the world. that would be something that i would pay for right away.

+ Mosh_Pit on November 10th, 2010 at 3:30 pm said:

OMG when they did the baseball thing I was sure they would never do it for hockey!!! thanks! I’m sold!!!

+ DaNTi3L on November 10th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

i wish it was the nba but ok lol ill take it

+ CapitalsGreat8 on November 10th, 2010 at 3:38 pm said:

I agree with Elmo that the video quality/lag right now is terrible with the archived games.

+ dbieon12 on November 10th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

Please PSN.

Please provide a folder option (for all users) under the video section. I have a bunch of funny cell phone videos that I would like to have stored separately. It would also make it easy to navigate between the apps and long list of videos that I have.

+ FingerPainting on November 10th, 2010 at 4:12 pm said:

sooo none of the live games are working….is this happening for anyone else?

+ deadcaulfield on November 10th, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

Yeah, all the live games are blacked out.

+ FingerPainting on November 10th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

yeah, that’s pretty weird, I pulled up every one but the Pens/Bruins game on the computer….hmmm

+ BurrHedgie on November 10th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

Yep only archived games work, live games all falsely claim a blackout. Really hope this gets fixed soon. It looks like the quality is better on PS3 than on my PC.

+ RedSkull73 on November 10th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

All games are coming up as blacked out. Please fix this.

+ Mattchewie on November 10th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

MY GOD YES! Detroit is currently penning the engineers name in song so that we celebrate this day for many years to come!

+ eddiing on November 10th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

Com’on.. paid to get the games on the big screen and it’s all blacked out when only one game should be blacked out right now.

+ zombisaru on November 10th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

I am also suffering from the “blackout” … please fix!

+ MustachioedUncle on November 10th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

I don’t even have a ‘blackout’… First day of the season is archived, but after that… just shows up as scheduled to be played… Current date I click on them to play and nothing happens. (and yes, I have a NHL Gamecenter account – watching on my computer as I type this).

+ Ryosukekun on November 10th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

Nice I’m all for NHL and MLB but get some SOCCER in it this time PLEASE!!!!

+ gravislord on November 10th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Must be problems as all the live games, that I am watching on my PC, do not work on the PS3 version – Says blackout in effect, which is impossible.

+ FriedSlug on November 10th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

All games still blacked out. App doesn’t seem worth the $10 I had to pay. Please give us an estimate on how long to fix or how to get refund.

+ Sum-Mischief on November 10th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

Now only if you can get the NFL and the NBA and I be in Heaven !

+ Sum-Mischief on November 10th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

Wow , I thought the app was free … Playstation Plus keeps on paying for its self (at least for me)…TY

+ linux731 on November 10th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

This is such a copy of the ESPN3 on the Xbox 360… Sony, bring us something new.

+ kerchip on November 10th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

I agree…blackouts where there shouldn’t be and choppy video for archived games. this must be fixed. But what I am also noticing is that I have no clue on how to access games stats? Will I not be able to call up a game summary, player stats etc? I don’t want to have to scroll through all those little events at the bottom of the screen — I just want quick summaries. Anyone know? Gamecentre on my PC has a number of dropdowns for this — if its part of Gamecentre on PC why not on ps3?

+ cubed on November 10th, 2010 at 6:25 pm said:

there is a black border around the game, seems as the resolution is not very good as i am signed up for rogers extreme, suffering from many blackouts, what teams get blackouts, is there any way to find out depending on where you live and where the game is broadcasted? are there restrictions based on what broadcasting company is broadcasting the game? also, the archived games are extremely choppy, many stop starts for seconds on end!
im in canada by the way, like netflix, does the states have more rights/ less blackouts than in canada?
final note, if you choose to go monthly payments (20.00) does it automatically get charged every month or do you have to resubmit/reactivate the agreement?

+ The_Hulk_Hellboy on November 10th, 2010 at 6:31 pm said:

great new NHL thanks you!!! when you can NFL???

+ PaleBlueScot on November 10th, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

I tried again around 9:30 Eastern and I can now finally see live games without the incorrect blackout message. I’m willing to cut the service a little slack for day one. It’s definitely a bit choppy on my 57-inch TV (to be expected) but still is better picture quality than the non-HD Center Ice feed that I had through Comcast. Watching those feeds and knowing I was paying the same as dish owners who got the HD feeds for each game was driving me nuts, which is why I switched to GameCenter Live last week. So far, so good and now with PS3 connectivity it’s an even better deal.

+ kerchip on November 10th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

Up and running! It is truly awesome. And I found the real-time stats. Thank you PS3!

+ Butters360 on November 10th, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

Here’s to hoping for a ATP/WTA Tennis app along with an NBA/NFL app.

+ Mindplague on November 10th, 2010 at 7:16 pm said:

you just made

+ Mindplague on November 10th, 2010 at 7:17 pm said:

You just made the whole nation of Canadia geekgasm.

+ Callao86 on November 10th, 2010 at 8:21 pm said:

THANK YOU! This is great, I can now watch the Canadiens on my TV again!

Go Habs Go!

+ BigFreezy1975 on November 10th, 2010 at 8:44 pm said:

This is great for Hockey fans and as awesome as it and Baseball are, What’s up with Football and Basketball “Centers”? Hopefully we can get something like that soon especially for Basketball, day 1 purchase!!

+ Tezmyster on November 10th, 2010 at 9:57 pm said:

Could Sony please advise why this is restricted to US and Canada only? The NHL have advised that was your discretion. Thanks.