PS4-The Order

PlayStation in Latin America: Live in a State of Play

Mark Stanley's Avatar + Posted by Mark Stanley on Nov 10, 2010 // General Manager, Latin America

Hola PlayStation Nation. It’s a huge treat to share with you today all the exciting news we have for PlayStation in Latin America. Today marks a momentous milestone as we launch our first official advertising campaign for the region and have the great privilege of unveiling the first two TV commercials with you, our most loyal fans. As some of you may know, we formally launched the PlayStation business in Latin America early last year and today we are officially operating in 19 countries across the region. We’re thrilled at the opportunity to extend the same access to the full breadth of PlayStation products and services to our consumers in Latin America as we’ve been doing in the US and Canada for many years. This means that when North American consumers are able to experience first-hand the array of immersive and revolutionary PlayStation Move games, Latin America consumers are also sharing in that experience on the same day. We’re also spending a lot of time focusing on bringing customized and localized experiences for our Latin American PlayStation Nation. Over the past few months we’ve released customized gamer kits that offer all-in-one solutions with huge savings for new gamers and families looking to upgrade their entertainment experience.

Today, we’re also unveiling continued efforts to bring tailored product offerings for this region with customized bundles this holiday that include a Konami Pro Evolution Soccer bundle for PS3, PS2 and PSP systems, in addition to a EA Sports FIFA 2011 bundle for PS3, PS2 and PSP systems, and a few others that will be announced in the coming months. Beyond the customized bundles, we’ll also be offering one of our best holiday line ups yet with Gran Turismo 5 for PS3 and the full range of brand new PlayStation Move games such as The Fight: Lights Out, The Shoot, EyePet and many more.

And with the help of our friends at Saatchi & Saatchi Latin America, we’re also looking to promote and foster a one to one dialogue with our consumers through a brand new advertising campaign to build awareness of PlayStation as a comprehensive and multimedia entertainment solution. To do this, we took a very unique approach to remind consumers of what it is to be truly entertained. The first commercial which hits TV networks across Latin America today features a baby as a depiction of the emotions that are often associated with the purest form of entertainment. It reminds us of a time when even the smallest actions, sights and sounds can provoke unhinged and constant entertainment. In the second TV commercial, which will air later this week, you’ll see similar treatments being used to promote the pure fun involved with the PlayStation Move experience. PlayStation is a brand that is constantly pushing the envelope of entertainment and we wanted to encourage and challenge our consumers to live in a constant state of play through this campaign. We hope you enjoy the commercials and we look forward to hearing your feedback.

As you can see, it’s been a busy and exciting time for the Latin America region and we look forward to bringing you more updates about our continued growth and momentum!

Muchas Gracias y Saludos!

85 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ torontoml on November 10th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

Gran Turismo 5 eh.

+ darkwing75 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

so GT5 for the Holidays in Latin America, lucky!!

+ BigRon3400 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

OMG! Those are scary and awful. Haven’t you learned from your mistakes Sony? NO CREEPY BABY COMMERCIALS! You guys just need to teach Kevin Butler some spanish. Problem solved.

+ Marsz85 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

Cool concept but very creepy.

+ ceta1978 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

Im glad we are getting some love in Latinoamerica (Im from colombia), i just hope we get more psn services soon, how about a little mubi love ;)

+ Kchow23 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

terrible ads…

+ GordaGotica on November 10th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

Are there any plans for a PSN store in Latin America? Home access for Latin American accounts?

Hola Laneros! lolol

+ DarkOne_PR on November 10th, 2010 at 1:24 pm said:

es bueno ver la expansion hacia latino america. que mal q en puerto rico a pesar de q tenemos el support de sony, nunca hacen ningun tipo de actividad por aca….

+ Manticore19 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

Sorry Latin America but Czech Republic is the best.

+ SeanScythe on November 10th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

Kevin Butler belongs to the USA, let latin countrys get their own V.P. Master. I hear Carlos Mencia is looking for work.

+ KwietStorm on November 10th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

One of your best holiday lineups yet? Lets be realistic here.

+ Lagspike_exe on November 10th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

Czech Republic is the best Republic!

+ depward on November 10th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

I like playing video games because I am a baby? I get that you’re trying to link entertainment with how babies seem to enjoy stupid little distractions… but I’m sorry, I think this is really missing the mark.

+ Lupin-Haf on November 10th, 2010 at 1:38 pm said:

Not good enough. Give us an exact release date NOW. It’s already the middle of November. This is beyond ridiculous.

+ cristian_daniel on November 10th, 2010 at 1:39 pm said:

SALUDOS DESDE BOLIVIA!

+ mundox86 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

So does all this blah blah blah mean you will finally accept my Latin-America-(panamenian)-issued visa card on the PSN?

+ jpvato00 on November 10th, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

Hola!!

Im from Guatemala and let me tell you Sony: We need PS Store support. Its to difficult and expensive to acquire PSN cards.

Also if you’re thinking to market something related to spanish countries is better to do it with familiar faces (spanish actors and spanish music) and shoot the videos on Latin America locations. These videos seem for a USA or Germany demographic.

+ Davidrick on November 10th, 2010 at 1:56 pm said:

Whats you definition of holiday season? this year only, maybe also next year?

+ cronqvist on November 10th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

Money would have been better spent in teaching THE Kevin Butler some spanish. I’m mexican, and I didn’t like those ads at all. The remind me of the weird european/early PS3 commercials.

C’mon Sony, you can still save this one.

+ Zarxce on November 10th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

So…what I gathered from those ads…is that the Playstation is for manchildren? That doesn’t seem like a very positive message to send out….

I agree with the posters who say you should just teach Kevin Butler some Spanish. I mean, he learned Canadanese pretty well. I’m sure he would have no problem learning Latinese.

+ AntiloopUS on November 10th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

One question about “the full breadth of PlayStation products and services”:

When?

-Playstation Video Store
-Netflix
-Buy with credit cards (we also have those in Latin America…)

+ JebusIG on November 10th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

I really don’t care about the ads. Just bring the PlayStation Video Store to Mexico. Microsoft and Apple both started selling and renting movies in Mexico like a week ago (Zune Marketplace which is available on the Xbox 360; and on the iTunes Store). And Sony just started in Canada, right? Does that mean we can expect news for the Mexican PSN also selling and renting films? OH! And also, bring PlayStation HOME already. Seriously.

Thanks.

+ Ozbezariuz on November 10th, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

We want a Store in Argentina ^_^… or at least one for all Latin America D:

+ evildude683 on November 10th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

@31

Playstation Video Store: Is not up to Sony, many titles don’t come out at the same time all over the world plus they marketing for many of them varies from region.

Netflix: will never be available outside the US and Canada, again due to copyrights plus I can even imagine the piracy with it.

Buy With Credit Cards: As far as I know in Mexico you can already get some PSN cards in sony style stores, outside MX have no Idea why maybe due to concerns with Identity theft.

+ Frejim on November 10th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

Hola!

We want an official store in Nicaragua too!

Could you please tell us which are the 19 countries?

PS: Can I work for you if you open something here in my country? Xp

+ evildude683 on November 10th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

I think Sony should have used something Latin Americans can relay to, not the all-American kid.

+ Frejim on November 10th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

@antiloopUS

I used to be able to add funds with my credit card, now I cant. (International credit card btw)

Now I have to use sites such as Maximus cards, $12.50 for a $10 PSN card. Rip off, but at least I dont have to wait till my next travel to the US. Wish amazon would sell “the” codes, instead of the real cards.

+ FE_RR on November 10th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

i don’t want to complain, but…
the PS3 that in EE.UU is at USD 300 in argentina you can buy it at USD680… http://www.sonystyle.com.ar/ar/site/catalog/LeafCategory.jsp?category=proyectores&id=cat4270004 in comparison the prices are too high, for us it’s more affordable to buy from importers than sony, also we can make an argentina account but the store is empty…

anyways is cool to see you care at least a little bit

+ tjjoss on November 10th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

I agree with all my fellow latin americans. If you plan to reach the latin american nation with your commercials, you have to either:

- Do it in spanish and portuguese (that’s what we speak here, you know)
- Use latin american locations
- Use latin american actors
- Use latin american music

or

- Use Kevin Butler

You just don’t get it do you? Didn’t you learn with your past baby commercials? Do you think these are as creepy as the one you did on your initial PS3 campaign? Who are your advisors on this?! Common!!!

Also, you left so many blanks in your blog post:

- Which countries?
- What about home?
- What about proper PSN support?
- What about using credit cards?
- What about the video service (which ever you like)?
- What about having special deals?
- What about having prizes and rafflles or whatever?

So please, before you write stuff to sympathize with latin america, do some research, sign some deals, and THEN, tell us about it.

Thanks.

+ juanpipe on November 10th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

Ahh, Sony. I was hoping you invested more in my country.

Come on, you could have at least traduced the Kevin Butler’s commercials, or even teach him Spanish!

But no, then we go to the strange, 2006, ads.

+ Frejim on November 10th, 2010 at 2:53 pm said:

totally agree with tjjos!!!

also, get rid of creepy babies!!!!!

Ge Te Cinco – Release day NOW!!!

+ FreshRevenge on November 10th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

I just saw the first video and even though I though it was a cool commercial but I don’t really see the connection between the baby and playstation?

+ Angelcurio on November 10th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

If its latin america, you should start by posting in spanish.

Do you have plans for the Dominican Republic? suck having to pay 4,000 pesos for the LE of Gran Turismo 5.

@42 could no have said it better myself.

+ DZORMAGEN on November 10th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

LOL, I love the ads!

+ barrilbros on November 10th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

My first thought of a PS latin america commercial was of Kevin Putler speaking spanish as VP of Spanglish Relations.

+ barrilbros on November 10th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

*Butler, sorry.

+ tjjoss on November 10th, 2010 at 3:36 pm said:

@51 Now THAT would have been fun!

+ TakiFuGu on November 10th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

The baby face is cute but I’m not feeling those ads.

+ mave_py on November 10th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

Lo que realmente necesitamos nosotros latinoamericanos, son juegos con doblaje latinoamericano. Si hacen eso, se ganan nuestros corazones ( y nuestro dinero, al fin y al cabo).

Ah, y pongan ya una fecha a Gran Turismo 5!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on November 10th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

Why are PSN cards so expensive in Mexico? they were released at a good price but only sold in Mexico City’s SonyStyle stores and now that are available in more places they are very expensive, also we need you to accept our credit cards

+ DarthDanMan on November 10th, 2010 at 5:33 pm said:

@30
Canadaese, funny real funny :) But I do believe its called English.

(Proud Canadian)

+ PlayEvoinsec21 on November 10th, 2010 at 5:38 pm said:

Well hi everybody specially Mark Stanley and SCEA Im from Costa Rica and i feel very happy about this news, i been a Sony fan all my life and it would be great to enjoy my PS3 with all of its features, i would love to have NETFLIX over here, so im really looking forward for it… so thanks again and keep the excelent job

—————————————————————

Hola a todos especialmente a Mark Stanley y a SCEA soy de Costa Rica y me hace muy feliz leer esta noticia, toda mi vida he sido fan de Sony y seria increible disfrutas mi PS3 con todas sus funciones, me encantaria tener NETFLIX por aqui por lo tanto realmente lo espero… gracias de nuevo y sigan con el excelente trabajo

+ Jocis on November 10th, 2010 at 5:46 pm said:

how deep will sony be in Puerto Rico? I know that Sony just named a person that will work directly with the console but nothing more i know.

thanks

+ starBlinky01 on November 10th, 2010 at 5:55 pm said:

lol I laughed.. but this is weird man!

+ Nomik2 on November 10th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Wow…that is one creepy commercial and makes no sense!

+ Ladykiller64 on November 10th, 2010 at 6:20 pm said:

Kevin Butler please. No more of these weird pre-Butler Sony commercials.

+ EL_HURACAN on November 10th, 2010 at 6:20 pm said:

I dont know what we think we are, stupid indians with no technology of something?
Ok i get, i wont take this post personally. First of all, if you want to do something for Latin America residents start by offering the same benefits as americans and SCEE.
The psn store is a joke compared to the american, just think about half the games, half the demos, no movies, no tv serie, no digital comics…

+ Axecution on November 10th, 2010 at 6:30 pm said:

LOL. At first i was like “wtf, these ads are scary as hell” but then after watching both of them, i got used to the incredibly freaky man-baby things and decided that they are generally good ads. xD

+ bbonds_007 on November 10th, 2010 at 6:47 pm said:

What the hell Sony, didnt you learn your lesson? Stop with the creepy baby commericals!

PAGE 1 2