PS4 - Destiny

Split/Second PSP Hits Today with New Features, See the Launch Trailer

Jason Ried's Avatar + Posted by Jason Ried on Nov 16, 2010 // Disney Interactive Studios Europe

Greetings, and welcome to the next exciting installment of Split/Second. I’m happy to say we’ve managed to cram all of what made Split/Second great onto the PSP. At Disney Interactive Studios, we’re really proud of what Black Rock Studio created and were excited to see what Sumo Digital could add to the PSP version.

As Split/Second was a visual treat, we knew that we couldn’t compromise for both the size of the power plays and sheer on-screen excitement. We set out to create a spectacular-looking PSP game and I hope that everyone will agree that this is one of the best-looking racing games on the PSP. Another vital ingredient was to make sure that the handling and controls suited the PSP. Sumo are very experienced with years of racing experience and so set about creating a new driving model from scratch. The end result should be a fun, quick and skillful driving system that rewards users who push the cars to the max.

To add something completely new to the game we then added four all new Challenge modes which test the drivers in completely different ways. Each mode was designed with some key thoughts in mind – (1) blow things up; (2) race really fast; (3)use the environment to your advantage; (4) combine 1 to 3 while trying to get the highest score!

Split/Second PSPSplit/Second PSP

The final big addition for Split/Second PSP is that we managed to create an entirely new Docks track. This was a combination of previous work which works its way through different parts of the Docks area and ends up being one of the longest tracks in the entire game.

The demo should be live for everyone to play now so grab it and the game is available this week. Hope you enjoy this new version as much as we have!

17 Comments

+ awsome_robot on November 16th, 2010 at 6:25 am said:

I loved the demo (very faithfull to the ps3 version which is amazing), but will this game be available to download on the ps store? If it will be, how big will the file be? (I’d still perfer physical format but since I’m working night to morning shifts it’ll be much more easier for me to just get a download version).

Jason Ried's Avatar

+ Jason Ried on November 16th, 2010 at 6:57 am said:

The game will be released on PS store at the same time and was around 1.4GB with any compression. Sony might compress this in the backend which means the 1.4GB is the biggest it will be.

It sounds big but we have packaged tried to get all of the PS3 version into the game. Once you add up all that’s gone into it(visual effects, models, levels etc.) at the highest possible quality it quickly becomes 1.4GB.

Jason Ried's Avatar

+ Jason Ried on November 16th, 2010 at 6:57 am said:

and thanks for the comment on the demo!

+ JERM7 on November 16th, 2010 at 7:00 am said:

Sorry for the unrelated comment, but is anyone else having trouble signing in to the forums? Kudos to Jason for replying so fast/at all to the first comment.

+ awsome_robot on November 16th, 2010 at 7:30 am said:

Thanks Jason, any chance this game could get downloadable content? or more dlc for the ps3 version? (crosses fingers)

Jason Ried's Avatar

+ Jason Ried on November 16th, 2010 at 7:46 am said:

At the moment there isn’t any DLC planned for the PSP – though we’ll always evaluate this if the PSP version sells well.

The PS3 DLC was generally well received, especially the last new track, so you never know. As we’ve just finished with the PSP there wasn’t much time for us to complete it for the release date however.

+ NESGamepro on November 16th, 2010 at 8:12 am said:

I played the demo, it’s every bit as good as the PS3 version, but it’s also almost exactly the same. Impressive, but I’m not sure it warrants a second purchase, even with the new stuff.

+ Dblcheezz on November 16th, 2010 at 8:14 am said:

I wanna know when PS3 is gonna get skype.

+ awsome_robot on November 16th, 2010 at 8:46 am said:

Well if there are any more plans for dlc, then more tracks and cars are always welcomed.

+ arnoldmcguire335 on November 16th, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

I enjoyed the demo and yeah I’m excited for it. and yeah at least this will be Disney’s first PSP game on the PS Store for PSP… an even better addition!

+ Rhez on November 16th, 2010 at 9:47 am said:

I tried the demo of this just the other night and was pretty impressed. I love the PS3 version and the PSP seemed to capture that experience. I will definitely be getting this for my PSP, but yeah I want the UMD because my poor little SDcard gets pretty crowded.

Jason Ried's Avatar

+ Jason Ried on November 16th, 2010 at 9:49 am said:

It’s good to see the demo is getting a positive reaction :-)

+ lobotomies4free on November 16th, 2010 at 9:52 am said:

loved the ps3 version

+ bka4u2c on November 16th, 2010 at 10:10 am said:

I loved the demo too. Looks and plays awesome. May have to wait for the price to come down from $40 though. Wish it was $30 and I’d grab it today. Didn’t realize this was getting released the same day as NFS Hot Pursuit which I already pre-ordered.

+ CF3esBestia on November 16th, 2010 at 10:13 am said:

I loved the demo. I would love a online multi-player patch. This PSP version should sell VERY well.

+ soraenes on November 16th, 2010 at 12:36 pm said:

i like

+ Hatori1181 on November 16th, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

is it me, or is this game really hard?