PlayStation VR

Nov 16

Nov 16

The Prince of Persia is Back in HD and 3D, Exclusively on PSN

Patrick Brod's Avatar Posted by Community Manager

The Prince of Persia Trilogy will be available for download exclusively on the PlayStation Network, giving you the opportunity to re-live the critically-acclaimed developed by Ubisoft’s Montreal studios. These PS2 classics have been upgraded with HD graphics and are ready for 3D-enabled televisions for the first time ever!

Prince of Persia The Sands of Time PS3

Do you remember fighting the Vizier? Chasing the Dagger of Time? Trying to save Farah? Well, that was 7 years ago… This huge PS2 hit is prettier than ever on your PS3 in 720p, and for the lucky owners of a 3DTV, added 3D effects to immerse you more than ever in this awesome Arabian Nights tale from Jordan Mechner and Ubisoft Montreal. Getting this game on PSN is simpler than reversing time, right? So don’t wait, jump, wall run, solve puzzles and rewind time today on PSN with Prince of Persia The Sands of Time.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Prince of Persia The Two Thrones, the 2 other chapters of this epic tale, will be available in December. Each game will be available for download on the PlayStation Store for $14.99. To join the Prince in his quest for total awesomeness – Prince the warrior, not the singer – visit us on Facebook.

Add Your Own

krae_man said:

November 16th, 12:01 pm

Also, how about a date for the Sands of Time?

Patrick Brod's Avatar

Patrick Brod said:

November 16th, 12:44 pm

Well, it’s available today !

DeathGazer said:

November 16th, 12:01 pm

Cool story, Brod.

Seriously though, will buy Sands of Time today.

Patrick Brod's Avatar

Patrick Brod said:

November 16th, 2:22 pm

I was waiting for that one…

Tekk-N-Daxter said:

November 16th, 12:01 pm

Well, I’ve got the European disc for this, and I must say I am very happy. The price tag for the European disc-based version is €29,99, which is about $40,-

However, do not misunderstand, that the disc-based version STILL requires you to install about 3.7GB of data in order to be able to play.

As far as Trophies, I can say that there are, to be earned:

– 16 Trophies in “The Sands of Time”
– 20 Trophies in “Warrior Within”
– 18 Trophies in “The Two Thrones”

So in all, you get 54 Trophies in total, of which 3 are Platinums. Good collection, but if you have the opportunity, import the disc-version

Manticore19 said:

November 16th, 12:04 pm

“this awesome Arabian Nights tale”

seriously? what is Prince of “Persia” got to do with “Arabian Night”? people at Ubi are so stupid.

krae_man said:

November 16th, 12:05 pm

Oh it’s today? Yeah, your blog post doesn’t really make that as clear as it should be.

morph147 said:

November 16th, 12:05 pm

i have to agree with everyone else. i would have much prefered the disc. i think this will be one i will put on my want list but not get for a bit and see what happens

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

November 16th, 12:05 pm

Any chance for a PSTwo Classics section? There’s already God of War, God of War 2, 3 PoP games, MvC2, we need a dedicated section to put these classics on PSN, you can also put non HD versions there as well if it would be too much work to port some of the more niche games.

KidCommando said:

November 16th, 12:05 pm

Put them all on one disc for $40 and I will buy it.

NoGodsOnlyMan said:

November 16th, 12:07 pm

PS2 HD Remake Store is next, right?

I hope so, there a ton of PS2 games that i would love to play (i missed the PS2 era and the whle past gen because i had an original xbox, which went lame pretty fast). This is the way to play PS2 games on PS3, in hd glory and trophies!!!!!

gillettjoe said:

November 16th, 12:10 pm

Will buy if this comes out as a bundle on blu-ray.

Hate downloadable games, sorry.

Carl-G said:

November 16th, 12:11 pm

Good stuff man;)

I wish someone would do a ‘TimeSplitters’ Trilogy :P [Oh well, nice dream]

Kirkpad said:

November 16th, 12:12 pm

Eagerly awaiting a Ratchet collection, personally.

Superstrokey1123 said:

November 16th, 12:15 pm

Sounds great to me.

Will there be a bundle price?

sainraja said:

November 16th, 12:21 pm

I am getting these! Awesome!

Patrick Brod's Avatar

Patrick Brod said:

November 16th, 12:45 pm

You’re awesome… ;)

spideyal said:

November 16th, 12:27 pm

Not going to lie, I’m glad they’re doing the HD Upgrades rather than just putting PS2 games onto the PSN.

Getting a plati for all my efforts in my favorite PS2 Classics and letting my friends know I’m playing these games are much more satisfying than going offline and not getting ‘rewarded’ for playing PS2 games.

Gotta love Sony and their idea with these PS2 Classics in HD w/3D and Trophy support. Not to mention some will probably get Move support.

Bought the GoW Collection (Plati’d both), and I’ll be getting the Sly Collection soon, and I’m GREATLY looking forward to the Team ICO Collection. Not to mention I’d buy up that MGS Collection SONY. ;) Did you hear what I said? MGS Collection!?

Oh but on topic, I’ll probably pick these up sometime soon aswell. Then I might just have every PS2 Classic :)

WindedHero said:

November 16th, 12:27 pm

DJKim0701 are you not aware that all new playstation 3 games are REQUIRED to have trophies?

I’m glad they’re releasing this on the PSN… I was afraid only EU would have access to it, I had read somewhere that it was being released on disc in some collector’s bundle but no US release was planned.

Guillemots said:

November 16th, 12:37 pm

Great chance to pick the trilogy, never played in the PS2 era!
But… my PS3 got yellow led 2 weeks ago, and i can’t play :(

Green-Elf said:

November 16th, 12:40 pm

I am a bit saddened to see that this is not coming to Disc in the states. I might import my copy like I had to do for Patapon 2.

KazeEternal said:

November 16th, 12:48 pm

I know a few people who aren’t to happy about this not getting a disc release. I might get these eventually, but I’d rather have a disc myself so I may try to wait this out.

solo013 said:

November 16th, 12:50 pm

I can’t wait for these.

Axecution said:

November 16th, 12:59 pm

So the rumours were true. Dammit.

Guess im importing the disc. >.< So dumb.

MetalGearCrysis said:

November 16th, 1:00 pm

Like most people commented, I’d rather have a physical copy. My import copy is already paid for and should be here next week.

The only positive I see about buying off the PSN would be to progress in the PlayStation Rewards program.

joostin said:

November 16th, 1:02 pm

I love all three games, but have beaten them all. If Ubisoft has a fire-sale sometime for all three I might have to dive in, but as it stands right now $45 is too much for a digital download trilogy. The sweet spot would have been $30-35 for me. But anyone who hasn’t played these games should definitely get them! They are worth $45 if you haven’t played them prior.

SuperTiso said:

November 16th, 1:03 pm

What’s really obnoxious is the bland, monotone, “yay Sony” responses the official staff are giving about this. A lot of the responses do nothing but reinforce my anger at this and my decision not to support this digital nonsense.

“For now, in North America we’ve chosen to offer for each Prince of Persia fan a chance to pick which adventure he wants to re-live in HD.”

Which makes sense in the short term considering that these are a trilogy set. That’s like expecting players to buy “The Forgotten Sands” without playing the original trilogy.

“Invoke the Sands of Time to go back to free up some hard drive space… ;)”

So we should erase our content to free up space that shouldn’t be taken up if it wasn’t for the fact Blu-Ray technology in the system still suffers from forced installs?

“PSN allows you to play each game right away which is pretty sweet isn’t it ?”

Yeah, it’s sweet that you’re overcharging me. I’m going to utilize the one feature that never gets mentioned from you guys, region free gaming and just import the UK one same with Siren in UK.

windsmere said:

November 16th, 1:05 pm

I was excited when I first heard of them remaking these in HD but now that it has come completely to light that North America is getting screwed over and is getting digital download versions only I will have to pass. After tax (Ohio=6.5%) to buy all 3 of these it would be $47.89 no thanks.

Tragic_Nightmare said:

November 16th, 1:11 pm

That’s great and all, I loved the the original POP’s.
However, I wont be interested until it becomes a Blu-Ray collection.

So maybe, get on that?
I’m sure many other people would love that too.

Chuckbait said:

November 16th, 1:11 pm

Excellent News (esp that the first one comes out today). Quick Question however…..

Do any of these games support custom soundtracks? Thank you, and good luck with sales.

joostin said:

November 16th, 1:12 pm

You think you have it bad in Ohio…geez now I know why nothing gets done in the states…no one pays reasonable tax rates lol. In BC we have HST which is 13%. Can’t have social services or infrastructure without proper tax rates…Stop voting Republican!

Chuckbait said:

November 16th, 1:14 pm

ps1 classics bought on the PSN store, come with instruction manuals (you can access them by pressing the playstation button during play). Is there anyway that we can download the instruction manuals for these games(the ps2 manuals)?

An answer would be nice. Thank you.

M-Easy said:

November 16th, 1:16 pm

Patrick, can you confirm all 3 games have platinum trophies. If so they’re all bought.

Chuckbait said:

November 16th, 1:16 pm

@78, yeah nothing gets done in america, unlike canada, who has accomplished such great achievements as SNL great Mike Myers, and …, …., Celine Deion?

…Now having said that, I love everyone from Canada. :)

Genexi2 said:

November 16th, 1:18 pm

Looks like an import for me also.

As much as I love digital distribution, my bandwidth is limited, and so is my PS3’s hard drive currently. I also have to say I quite enjoy physical copies of game collections in any form.

Hope they sell well regardless, PSN can always use more full-fledged games to pick from for those of us wanting a more meaty experiences than the usual $10-15 offering.

ImperiousStout said:

November 16th, 1:18 pm

You guys need to clarify what “HD” improvements there are beyond a simple bump in resolution. If I don’t care about 3D, why would I want these over the PC versions which go well above 1280×720?

boneyardweller89 said:

November 16th, 1:19 pm

I play on playing all three, but I’d like to get them all on one Bluray.

superfrick said:

November 16th, 1:20 pm

I’m happy that the series is getting a release in the US, but I do have a question.

Other than trophies and HD resolution, do the PSN versions have any extras that were included in the previous releases of the games, or any other treats? I’ve already bought Sands of time twice (Once for PS2, once for Xbox) and curious if there are any extras that could get me to buy the game a 3rd time.

EggySong85 said:

November 16th, 1:29 pm

I agree with #50. Digital downloads nullify the cost of materials, so why does the Prince’s HD collection cost more than Sly Cooper’s retail disk?

Any word on a PS+ discount? Give me a discounted bundle of all 3 games, like #3 mentioned, then mark that at 20% off for PS+ members like they did with the Red Dead Redemption DLC & I’ll bite.

VINNEAS said:

November 16th, 1:30 pm

After the last few PoP games, I’ve grown to really miss this series.
Thank the deities for this wonderful gift

EagleEyeSamurai said:

November 16th, 1:32 pm

ELIKA!!!!!

Oh woops, wrong game. But I will fully support these remakes if only to show that interest in the Prince of Persia line of games is strong and has a rooted fan base. Sands of Time was a blast, PoP 2008 was an even BIGGER blast (sequel???), and I’ve been wanting to play the other 2 in the series.

Chuckbait said:

November 16th, 1:32 pm

PSN charges tax for citizens of NY too.

Chuckbait said:

November 16th, 1:33 pm

…depends on what state you live in

DainBramage said:

November 16th, 1:40 pm

This is fantastic!

But please for the love of God fix the performance issues in The Two Thrones and the audio glitches in Sands of Time that were on the PS2.

PuppetShoJustice said:

November 16th, 1:45 pm

I learned my lesson downloading the God of War Collection over PSN.

Digital distribution is a wonderful thing until your file sizes get to be huge.

And no, my internet isn’t crap.

Jasko45 said:

November 16th, 1:48 pm

Got to be kidding me, no disk based hard copy?

GordoJones88 said:

November 16th, 1:48 pm

Woo-Hoo! Thanks a bunch Ubisoft. I’m happy to pay $15 for Prince of Persia: Sands of Time HD. I prefer having this as a download on my hard drive ready to play in an instant, my PS3 usually has a Netflix Blu-ray in it. I would also like to have this on Xbox Live if that could ever happen.

Ironically, I got stuck halfway through this game years ago and never got back to it. Looking forward to beating that darn puzzle this time around.

Patrick Brod's Avatar

Patrick Brod said:

November 16th, 2:46 pm

Good luck with that… and remember, it’s not cheating if no one sees you looking at a walkthrough. That is all.

Satnamji said:

November 16th, 1:51 pm

Mixed feelings here. While I’m glad I won’t have to go through the hassle of importing the PoP Trilogy on disc to get these games now, I would have much prefered a bundle pricing in line with the retail version of the Sly Cooper collection.

Though I’ll definitely be buying these at some point, I’ll probably hold out for a PSN bundle or for Ebay to get flooded with the disc version.

soundandvision77 said:

November 16th, 1:53 pm

PoP: The Sands of Time is one of my favourite games ever, so this is totally sweet. My PS2 copy was stolen and I’ve never been able to find a replacement. Finally I can get it again.

$15 doesn’t seem too bad to me. Some of the bigger PSOne Classics cost $10 even, so a great PS2 game for 15 is ok. I’m sure they’ll eventually bundle the 3 games together for a PSN sale for a little cheaper like $40. I already have the other 2 games in the trilogy though, so I’m happy with the option to get them separately. Looking forward to it!

SoYoung said:

November 16th, 1:55 pm

I’d prefer a retail version of the game but well.. I guess its better than nothing.

vaxick said:

November 16th, 1:57 pm

Not really fond of selling them a downloadable games only for North America. I have the collect on pre-order from a store in Europe as I’d much rather have them on Blu-ray.

joostin said:

November 16th, 2:00 pm

@Chuckbait…

You do realize that your economy is in shambles because your middle class keeps voting for Repulicans and blocking higher taxes for the rich for some reason. They get manipulated and nothing changes. In the early 80’s Jimmy Carter lowered your dependency on foreign oil from 11 million barrels to 4.5 million, then Raegan brought it back up to 10 million and now it stands at about 14 million barrels. Yoou don’t have Universal Health Care, although every single one of your allies do and you don’t call us Communists. We have jobs in Canada still because we aren’t greedy. We share our wealth from the rich right down to the poor. We have a higher standard of life. Most of our cities are listed in the top 20 cities to live in the world. Not one American city is on that list. We live longer, happier lives because we take care of each other and don’t start meaningless wars to make a quick dollar. Read a book and you might get past the veil your media has pulled over your eyes. Abortions, Creationism, Socialism is not a topic of discussion anywhere else in the Western-developed world….except down South.

DNAgent said:

November 16th, 2:05 pm

$15 for each game? Surely, you at least have them all bundled together for a price of $40. Besides, this is a digital download so it should be cheaper than that. I could get the Sly Collection with 3 games for $40 and that comes on a disc so I could keep it in my collection. This Prince of Persia collection just seems like a ripoff. It also doesn’t help that this looks like the worst HD transition compared to the other collections.