PS4 - Transistor

The Prince of Persia is Back in HD and 3D, Exclusively on PSN

Patrick Brod's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Brod on Nov 16, 2010 // Community Manager

The Prince of Persia Trilogy will be available for download exclusively on the PlayStation Network, giving you the opportunity to re-live the critically-acclaimed developed by Ubisoft’s Montreal studios. These PS2 classics have been upgraded with HD graphics and are ready for 3D-enabled televisions for the first time ever!

Prince of Persia The Sands of Time PS3

Do you remember fighting the Vizier? Chasing the Dagger of Time? Trying to save Farah? Well, that was 7 years ago… This huge PS2 hit is prettier than ever on your PS3 in 720p, and for the lucky owners of a 3DTV, added 3D effects to immerse you more than ever in this awesome Arabian Nights tale from Jordan Mechner and Ubisoft Montreal. Getting this game on PSN is simpler than reversing time, right? So don’t wait, jump, wall run, solve puzzles and rewind time today on PSN with Prince of Persia The Sands of Time.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Prince of Persia The Two Thrones, the 2 other chapters of this epic tale, will be available in December. Each game will be available for download on the PlayStation Store for $14.99. To join the Prince in his quest for total awesomeness – Prince the warrior, not the singer – visit us on Facebook.

+ Daimomaru on November 16th, 2010 at 2:09 pm said:

I just hope sony dont do this with the mortal kombat hd collection. I have never play POP and i was looking forward to this but i really wanted the hard copy not this.

+ HMS_Victor on November 16th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

Exclusively on PSN? Then how are Zavvi.co.uk, play.com, amazon.co.uk and hmv.com taking in pre-orders for the disc based trilogy? Or is that just for the UK or Europe. If so, I’m soooo happy. I mean usually I hope everyone gets everything but Europe gets screwed over so much I’m glad that we finally get a better deal

+ GQAzndood on November 16th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

They should release this like what they did with God of War and then I’d be totally down. $15 bucks for games that I already own just to have them in HD and 3D on my PS3 is a tough sell. I don’t care if they even trophies on there but those games are great but not at that cost.

+ KongWen on November 16th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

+ JoshyBoy98311 on November 16th, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

Any chance for a disc coming out with all 3 on it, in the US? I don’t like downloading games. I like actually holding a real copy of the game.

+ Destiny89 on November 16th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

Truly amazing news guys, thanks

Patrick Brod's Avatar

+ Patrick Brod on November 16th, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

You’re welcome ! Which Prince of Persia game of the Sands of Time trilogy did you enjoy the most ?

+ BleedOrange11 on November 16th, 2010 at 2:49 pm said:

“I’ll be importing the disc version of this trilogy from Europe for only $20 + shipping, and I’ll have a nice game to put on my shelf (and something I can lend to friends or resell if I prefer). Disc > DL.”

Where did you find the disc version for $20?

+ Dragun619 on November 16th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Hm cool, I’ll wait for the Bundle though. Play the whole series all together with no wait in between. Are we gonna get any updates on Beyond Good & Evil’s progress or more remastered PS2 titles soon, Brod?

+ Thrill_Kill on November 16th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

I will import this on Disc like I did with Wipeout HD Fury, Ratchet and Clank, Siren New Translation/Blood Curse, and The Last Guy. Anytime there is a physical copy I can purchase over the Digital Download I will grab it instead.

I prefer to actually own something that I can actually “own” and collect, and if I prefer to even sell at a later date. What do I get with Digital Software? Nothing more than a ROM of a game. No case, no manual, no worth of value. So to me a Digital Download = No Sale.

But the European copy looks good to me. :) And the 3D support is very much appreciated.

+ Monkey521 on November 16th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

How does $15 each seem pricey? Combined that’s $45 for all of them, only $5 more than if you bought it bundled. Some people need to learn their math again.

Patrick Brod's Avatar

+ Patrick Brod on November 16th, 2010 at 5:25 pm said:

Good thinking ! And you could get your digital copy right away.

With the custom taxes and shipping, I believe the actual cost of import might even be higher than the 3 PSN skus.

+ plaidfluff on November 16th, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

But the important thing: is there still the Easter egg where you can unlock the original 2D Prince of Persia?

+ ljlrj on November 16th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

i want it on disc :C and not seperated

+ seancon93 on November 16th, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

Alright, ya got me. Had 15 bucks to spend, and I am a sucker for PS2 remakes..and trophies. c(;

+ Elladyr on November 16th, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

Considering the fact that my three PS2s died well before the consoles life cycle was complete, I’m just pumped that classics are happening this way at all. I would prefer a Blu Ray of these games as a collector, but I can wait for it to be a possibility or for these titles to be on a deal.

Any chance of the Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter/or any of the other iconic PS2 series getting similar treatment? Or does anyone know where to find out about that or what games are upcoming on the PSOne classics? I think Sony needs a suggestion box or to have a poll through the PSN once a month to get a players choice classic game re-released.

+ digitalman123 on November 16th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Cool. Never played any of those besides Sands of Time. Trophies too. I’ll purchase when I’m out of games probably. Platinums?

+ clupula668 on November 16th, 2010 at 3:22 pm said:

Never played these. When I get an extra few bucks, I’ll download the first one and see if I want to continue with the rest of the series.

+ Ares84 on November 16th, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

Very bad idea to only release this on PSN!

I will refuse to buy this from the PSN.

I was looking forward to this now I’m forced to import it from Europe on a disk.

no disk = no buy!!

+ ElektroDragon on November 16th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

I also want them on disc because I’m a collector! Please? I don’t understand why Ubi is not releasing a disc, unless it is pure greed since they don’t have to pay for manufacturing. I’d easily pay $60 for a disc copy though, so they are shooting themselves in the foot!

Does anyone know if the EU disc version is region free?

+ Rene_Led on November 16th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

I would wish this was on Bluray disc since I have limited space on my HDD -_- But nevertheless I will try to collect them all!

+ axlredgrave on November 16th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

I’m physical item collector and rather would have this on a disc just like the EU version. Will there be a disc based collection? If not, I could care less for digital based games, granted I have 500GB of space, but I don’t waste them unless the games are “real” digital titles. Just like the God of War collection.

+ D-Squad3 on November 16th, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

Why not on disc?

+ axlredgrave on November 16th, 2010 at 4:06 pm said:

Either you guys at Sony and/or Ubisoft get the whole trilogy in one collection or you guys at will be the kings of suckage.

+ ElektroDragon on November 16th, 2010 at 4:12 pm said:

Well, thanks to this release, I found out the PS3 is region free for games. Thank you, Sony! I have a lot of international ordering to do, first of which will be the DISC based version of this collection. In your face, Ubisoft.

+ skrillazoe on November 16th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

No deal for PSN Plus Members? what the hay?

+ Zesbeer on November 16th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

will you get uplay rewards for this?

+ Nahela on November 16th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Hm, would have jumped immediately at $10 apiece, think I’ll wait for a price cut at $15 though.

+ ajayghosal on November 16th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

no deal for ps+ members? come onnnn

+ TUSTIN1 on November 16th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

Just downloaded and installed it and it keeps crashing/freezing my PS3. First time hung up on title screen and then second time froze up on first loading screen…what gives?

+ thurin2099 on November 16th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

Is it going to be shareable?

+ solace357 on November 16th, 2010 at 6:04 pm said:

Jeez you guys need to cool it.

Any possibility of trials of these coming to PS Plus people?

+ AriesWarlock on November 16th, 2010 at 6:33 pm said:

I want this, but I don’t want digital downloads. I want a retail disc version.

+ mikestrife on November 16th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

Agreed. I would always much rather have a physical copy. Looks like another Siren Blood Curse situation. I’ll be importing it come the 19th…

+ Little_BombA on November 16th, 2010 at 7:02 pm said:

2 times my PS3 is freezing 2 times loading screen WTF,that the reason never buy more games for UBIPORT

+ xxnike629xx on November 16th, 2010 at 7:11 pm said:

$15 is a bit steep. And to those who buy it, will most likely get the other 2…

$45 for something Sony should have released on a disc at $40 with trophies and whatnot like they did with God of War Collection.

+ xeno3d on November 16th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

Awesome!!! Playing Sands of Time ow, but, the sounds seems off. It sounds like I am in a tunnel at all times. I think there is something wrong… :(

+ SkyNet003 on November 16th, 2010 at 7:31 pm said:

Well, guess it’s better than nothing…

+ madcrabs on November 16th, 2010 at 7:48 pm said:

Cool. What are the chances that I can send Sony all 3 of my original copies of these games for a discount on the new ones. Loved Sands of Time, but don’t want to buy it again.

+ Elvick_ on November 16th, 2010 at 8:01 pm said:

I guess I’ll import the Prince of Persia Collection. It’s complete b/s that Europe gets them on disc and we get stuck with stupid PSN versions.

As if I’ll waste my precious harddrive space on things which are available on a bluray instead. Pssh.

+ Elvick_ on November 16th, 2010 at 8:05 pm said:

@110: You realize that paying $5 MORE for something lesser than is stupid right?

$45 = Digital Versions
$40 = Physical Version

Paying more for digital anything is flat our stupid and a RIP. OFF. TO. ALL. CONSUMERS. AS YOU GET LESS FOR YOUR MONEY. Derp.

+ MadMeat001 on November 16th, 2010 at 9:21 pm said:

Me want it!

+ sachinwalia on November 16th, 2010 at 9:57 pm said:

Hey guys any idea if you are planning to release Exit game (it is released on PSP long time back) on PSN. The reason I am asking is it available on XBLA from last couple of years in 720p. It is one of the best puzzle game I’ve played in recent times. Please do release that I am sure lot many people are fans.

+ ZEROFACES on November 16th, 2010 at 10:36 pm said:

@Patrick Brod

I have not been able to play it yet. It keeps freezing and crashing; sometimes on the load-up screen, other times when I first take control of Prince. HELP!

Anyone else having this problem?

+ VertexPusher on November 16th, 2010 at 11:02 pm said:

@140

Having the same problem! Game freezes as soon as you take control right at the begining! have played zero of the game yet…

Nice QA work on this ubi . . . Ubi has my 15 bux and all I have is a menu that goes to a loading screen and crashes!

+ xanwhiteknight on November 17th, 2010 at 12:38 am said:

@140 and 141

Also freezing here: first loading screen after you hit new game, freezes every single time. :(

+ MegamanXGold on November 17th, 2010 at 12:40 am said:

They won’t tell you if they’re going to re-release these later on at a lower price or as a bundle on a disc, because if they tell you that, you’ll wait to buy it. They want the people willing to buy it right now to buy it while it is new. More money now means they can get a grasp on the popularity and make a profit to offset any losses from releasing it in disc-based format later.

They will probably release the BD Bundle, similar to Sly Cooper, at the $39.99 MSRP, either right before Christmas, or a month or so after they release The Two Thrones on PSN. They will probably also release the same bundle on PSN for $39.99 or $34.99, to try and capitalize on the remaining sales.

The bundles will probably take a year to each become a “Greatest Hits” title, and be repriced at $29.99.

This is speculation, but can you really argue with it? I work in retail, and it’s an obvious trend.

+ Tekk-N-Daxter on November 17th, 2010 at 4:19 am said:

For the people who did not bother to read any of the earlier comments, I will repeat the message I posted earlier:

Well, I’ve got the European disc for this, and I must say I am very happy. The price tag for the European disc-based version is €29,99, which is about $40,-

However, do not misunderstand, that the disc-based version STILL requires you to install about 3.7GB of data in order to be able to play.

As far as Trophies, I can say that there are, to be earned:

- 16 Trophies in “The Sands of Time”
- 20 Trophies in “Warrior Within”
- 18 Trophies in “The Two Thrones”

So in all, you get 54 Trophies in total, of which 3 are Platinums. Good collection, but if you have the opportunity, import the disc-version.

+ TUSTIN1 on November 17th, 2010 at 4:29 am said:

@140, 141, 142 – see post 128 – seems there are a few of us. I managed to play a bit after booting it half a dozen times and then went back to play again later and…froze…on the stupid load screen…

+ torso187 on November 17th, 2010 at 5:20 am said:

Yes I have the freezing too. Mine both happened in game within the span of about 20 minutes. My first freeze happened before the first save point, my second freeze happened shortly after the save point. Though the video freezes, I can still hear some music or sound effect playing, but I can’t hit the menu button to get out. I have to power down. Which takes longer then usual.

+ KongWen on November 17th, 2010 at 5:23 am said:

@ 107 – It’s not out yet, so I haven’t found it anywhere for that price yet. But physical disc games go on sale and can often be bought used for lower prices. A friend of mine regularly hits used game shops in UK for me, and I know from experience that I’ll be getting this game for $20 by the end of January.

@ 110 – No complicated math here. $15 x 3 = $45 > $20. PSN doesn’t keep pace with sales like a brick and mortar second-hand shop, and even if they did you’re paying for less product.

Importing.

+ Faenix1 on November 17th, 2010 at 6:40 am said:

Only on PSN? Thanks for nothing Sony. I am pretty much forced to import it from Europe now. When will you learn some people dont like digital media?