Driveclub

VUDU Comes to the PS3, Adding Another Choice for PSN Members to Experience Media Instantly

Susan Panico's Avatar + Posted by Susan Panico on Nov 16, 2010 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network

Whew… it’s been an exciting and busy couple of weeks on the PlayStation Network. Last week we shared the news that NHL will begin streaming live games to the PlayStation 3 and that Hulu Plus is now available to all PlayStation Network members and we’re not slowing down! I’m happy to report that beginning next week, VUDU, the HD movie streaming service, will be available to all PS3 users in the United States that are registered to PSN, making it the only gaming console to offer VUDU.

With VUDU, we’re adding another layer of great entertainment content to PlayStation Network and providing another choice for PS3 users to experience cinema-quality entertainment in the comfort of their living rooms. Access to VUDU doesn’t require a subscription. Simply pay-as-you-go for the content you want.

PlayStation 3 - Vudu Dashboard

All of you with a free PlayStation Network account can get in on the VUDU action. Simply go to the PlayStation Store and download the VUDU app for free. Once you’ve downloaded the app, you’ll see it appear in the XMB under the “Video” icon and from there, will have access to thousands of movie titles – available for instant viewing in HD and HDX 1080p formats with no buffering or downloading, and with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Surround Sound. Many of the hit movies are available for rental or purchase right when they are released to DVD and Blu-ray, giving you the most instant access when you want it.

You can recommend movies for your friends to watch using its social network integrations or just peruse VUDU’s video store and discover what’s available. It’s quite simple. Check it out!

144 Comments

+ sachinwalia on November 16th, 2010 at 9:58 pm said:

Any plan to support MKV?

+ Ruffday on November 16th, 2010 at 10:02 pm said:

I would gladly trade my hulu functionality for a zone of those lovely northern lights. I don’t even know what vudu is anyway, u can have that to for some grandaddy.

+ BKW_Racing53 on November 16th, 2010 at 10:02 pm said:

does VUDU support closed caption?

+ Stoffinator on November 16th, 2010 at 10:06 pm said:

Yaaay, one of many services on the PSN not available to me. :-]

+ ItsJoseph22 on November 16th, 2010 at 10:08 pm said:

i wish sony / Canada for once could make something exculsive for them selfs. its either in North america, or only in US or UK, as in Canada always gets short end of the deal :(

+ spideyal on November 16th, 2010 at 10:11 pm said:

I agree with one of the previous comments. You guys have a TON of media services through the PS3. One would think that would be trouble, but I guess that just means more PS3 Sales since those users can now buy a PS3 to watch VUDU, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and then there is the Playstation Video Store for those who are fine with that.

I’m not going to lie, I think I’m good with Netflix and PSVideo Store for now. Whenever VUDU and Hulu (lol) decide to come to Canada, I’ll give them a look, but I don’t really need them right now.

+ Laogrith on November 16th, 2010 at 10:13 pm said:

Vudu: the more expensive version of PSN content. Biggest side is you can purchase movies for roughly $10 where their disc counterparts are 15-20 AND (if you have a mac) you can easily make a hard copy for yourself whereas the PSN content is a little more limited as far as formatting goes.

+ BKW_Racing53 on November 16th, 2010 at 10:30 pm said:

+ SillyHatMafia on November 16th, 2010 at 10:31 pm said:

Do you need to pay a monthly fee to use VUDU, or is it merely a pay per rental thing? I’m curious to try it out, but if its a membership thing, i’m probably going to stick with Netflix.

+ ButcherChop on November 16th, 2010 at 10:33 pm said:

You pay per movie, really expensive prices.

+ UNIT-TRB on November 16th, 2010 at 10:49 pm said:

We need a solid music video service now. Maybe just a dedicated Youtube app.

+ nycballa417 on November 16th, 2010 at 10:54 pm said:

And here I thought it would be nice to have something for blockbuster members.. Too bad the Ps Share blog doesnt like to work for me.

+ SuperTiso on November 16th, 2010 at 11:01 pm said:

This seems rather, useless no? Anyone with half a brain would already be using Netflix. Anything recent not on the store could be rented from the actual video section on the PS Store. I dunno, it’s cool I guess but what’s the point like that Kotaku article stated.

+ saiyanknight87 on November 16th, 2010 at 11:12 pm said:

maybe you all need to get a youtube app since you all don’t stream HD vids in the browser that would a nice add-on! hmmm matter of fact blogshare here i come!

+ soldierone on November 16th, 2010 at 11:30 pm said:

PRICES SUCK! I really badly want to start spending money on the movie store, but who wants to spend 4 bucks for a 24 hour rental, or spend 20+ dollars to buy it? When you can go to blockbuster get it for seven days at the same price, or Redbox for only a dollar for the same amount of time. Then to buy it, Blu-ray is always better so why not make a quick trip to a store or order it off Amazon, hell half the time Amazon even throws in a free download so you can watch it while it ships.

+ ferrarius on November 16th, 2010 at 11:40 pm said:

Why isn’t Norway & the rest of Europe included in this VUDU- release?

+ NICK-ALACRAN on November 16th, 2010 at 11:57 pm said:

Sony/Playstation always ahead of the curve, without any of the usual corporate BS…

+ crazyone22 on November 16th, 2010 at 11:58 pm said:

wheres the love for music we have nothing in music all in video

+ DenizZain on November 17th, 2010 at 12:17 am said:

Yep, we don’t have any of this services in Russia (

+ Kchow23 on November 17th, 2010 at 12:21 am said:

never blamed Sony for it not being in Canada

+ toology01 on November 17th, 2010 at 12:39 am said:

Good start sony. However Thats enough on the video apps now, they are starting to get redundant. Between hulu, netflix, vudu, psn video store you pretty much have video covered now, with the exception of maybe a dedicated youtube app which would be nice. How about some other types of apps like Pandora, Last.FM. Or maybe some simple apps like weather, movie theater locater/time lookup with HD trailers you can watch, etc. Better yet let the developers due the work for you and come up with an SDK. Please be the 1st gaming console to do this and I think you’ll definately have the upperhand on the competition. People are finally starting to come around to the web apps on your TV thing as long as they are kept simple and done right I think.

+ SpyDudeFX on November 17th, 2010 at 2:36 am said:

This is awesome news, wow PS3 really does everything! Now all we need is Amazon Videos on Demand app for PS3 and I think it’s covered.

+ SgtRufus on November 17th, 2010 at 3:06 am said:

I’m all for choices. Hopefully the selection is good. I was shocked after all the hype how awful the selection in Hulu Plus was.

+ BigRon3400 on November 17th, 2010 at 3:12 am said:

Doesn’t this compete with your own PS store?

+ Luke215 on November 17th, 2010 at 3:35 am said:

Sucks for you if you live in a country were no one cares about you or your PS3. Ha Ha! USA, USA, USA!

+ MoneyMaker110 on November 17th, 2010 at 3:45 am said:

the ps3 is getting all the movie apps i see available on newr tvs.

+ letherclad on November 17th, 2010 at 4:17 am said:

You should start an ad campaign showing off all these entertainment options, its pretty incredible

on a different note, you should really start a separate playstatyion blog for Canada, I’m sick of their constant complaining, they’re worse than the ppl that posted on every post about GT5

+ TUSTIN1 on November 17th, 2010 at 4:34 am said:

Understandable that it’s not up to Sony whether it’s available in Canada, but since they know we’ll be asking, they could at least mention it in the blog post…

+ perrandy on November 17th, 2010 at 4:45 am said:

more options is always good in my book.nice addition there sony!

+ Proxy5 on November 17th, 2010 at 5:29 am said:

Good to have an optional rent-demand service, but Vudu needs to come in at a reasonably lower rental price than PSN to be beneficial to users. I somehow see that being a conflict of interest. Hoping it turns out to be a great provider though.

+ Nynja on November 17th, 2010 at 5:42 am said:

Is there an option to do a monthly fee for unlimited movie rentals?

+ Nynja on November 17th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

Wait…………… VUDU is owned by Walmart?

NO THANKS. I DON’T WANT CENSORED PRODUCTS.

+ Xanthene on November 17th, 2010 at 6:08 am said:

blog.US.playstation.com <- did i read that right? it say's US, eh? It's abooot time I learn to read, ya know?

+ Skater_Ricky on November 17th, 2010 at 6:25 am said:

I think I’ll stick with Buying Blu-ray (Best Quility) and for renting I’ll stick with Redbox for $1 (DVD) and $1.50 for (Blu-ray) per night and keep my Netfix account for in between movies and TV shows.

TIP: Now if PlayStation Store would have $1 rentals per night in DVD and Blu-ray Quility like Redbox has I’d be more willing to pay my money on the PlayStaion Store.

Hopefully Sony PlayStation takes this into consideration.

+ britthero on November 17th, 2010 at 6:44 am said:

yo not just canada LOL dont for get europe n other countrys they only have mulb or what ever u call it lol n vidzone for music n playtv lol thats all we have here lol

+ DJuxyl on November 17th, 2010 at 6:52 am said:

i have search on playstation store but nothing comes up

+ subbed on November 17th, 2010 at 6:55 am said:

Thanks now if you just had a folder or another section for all these streaming apps. Also please get a Pandora app.

+ syk1288 on November 17th, 2010 at 7:00 am said:

ItsJoseph22: Netflix is in Canada also.

+ JonJonXD on November 17th, 2010 at 7:03 am said:

Awesome stuff. I find it interesting that they are supporting this, especially since it’s in competition with the video store.

+ dime5150 on November 17th, 2010 at 7:09 am said:

We don’t have to buy the movies on vudu by using the PSN wallet system do we? I would prefer not to have to pay $5.00 for a purchase that was $4.16 and never have my change returned to me.

I guess Sony doesn’t like giving change…

+ JAMKOR on November 17th, 2010 at 7:15 am said:

why does Sony continue to focus on this stuff? Where are the features we want? i have yet to see someone ask for another video content provider. A party system? yes. Make purchases from the PSN on your PC? yes. more overpriced movies? No!

+ Frejim on November 17th, 2010 at 7:21 am said:

what about Latin America?

can we access to those services?

+ Stoffinator on November 17th, 2010 at 7:26 am said:

@78 If you learn to read, you would know Sony Computer Entertainment America covers Canada and Mexico.

+ CajunShooter on November 17th, 2010 at 7:29 am said:

Wow, do people have anything better to do than complain?

You can make SD rentals for $3.99 and even the HD rentals are cheaper than if you were to go to a movie theatre. What if you have a family of 4 and want to watch a movie? You could have gone 4-6 months earlier to a theatre paying $8 ($32 overall) a person to watch a movie or you can wait a couple months and stream it in HD to your house for $6.99 and even watch it a couple times before your 24 hour window is up.

The movies usually go up on Vudu around the time of their DVD/Blu Ray release which is probably a little quicker than PSN network gets them. I imagine since Vudu is on the PS3 Sony gets a small cut from all purchases from the Vudu store.

+ kdiep on November 17th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

Sony is providing more content than any other competitor, and they don’t even charge us money for PSN :D. Awesome work Sony :D

+ mastorofpuppetz on November 17th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

Ok, this is fine and all, but WHERE are the core PSN enhancements? Auto syncing trophies, Voice chat, being able to read messages by pressing the PS button and not having to go to the XMB every time, etc, etc, etc….. and on and on. I mean, we have how many video services now, Sony, look at the CORE PSn service and improve it. GEEZ

+ Gtagentleman on November 17th, 2010 at 7:47 am said:

It Only Does Region Blocks

+ Link01 on November 17th, 2010 at 8:00 am said:

why are all these non american PSN users on the US blog.. either way, good to have another option. I’m just waiting on Google TV to be announced.

+ Nynja on November 17th, 2010 at 8:04 am said:

@91

I agree. When are we going to get gaming related updates for our games console?

On that note; USEFUL and MOST REQUESTED updates for gaming related features…

+ Wipeoutt31 on November 17th, 2010 at 8:26 am said:

People (and Sony) you ought to know, as of today 17 Nov, Hulu Plus is now $7.99 a month. Check out Hulu’s official blog.