Far Cry 4

First Look at TRON: Evolution PlayStation Move, Stereoscopic 3D and Multiplayer Detailed

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Nov 19, 2010 // Senior Manager, Social Media

With TRON Legacy bringing the uncanny valley to theaters nationwide on December 17th in IMAX 3D and Disney Digital 3D, the pressure’s on TRON: Evolution to serve up some bleeding-edge hardware of its own. Luckily, TRON: Evolution on the PS3 is locked and loaded with state-of-the-art stereoscopic 3D as well as PlayStation Move support. We spoke with Game Director Darren Hedges for the full skinny on TRON: Evolution and grabbed first video of PlayStation Move controls in action for the epic lightcycle sequences in the campaign.

Tron: EvolutionTron: Evolution

Tech details aside, Hedges explains how TRON: Evolution’s persistent character customization across all modes means your progress and upgrades (roughly 60 in all) in the single-player campaign will transfer to online multiplayer, and vice-versa. Hedges also details how the TRON: Evolution team worked closely with the film team on TRON: Legacy, sharing assets, motion-capture data, and 3D techniques. Rey’s new video is fascinating, so give it a watch and let us know what you think in the comments.

+ Tyrsis on November 19th, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

Daft Punk – Derezzed is the song (if anyone is wondering.)
Can’t wait for the movie!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on November 19th, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

Killer song :-) Props to Rey for using it so effectively!

+ hanzox7 on November 19th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

looks interesting. cool idea to use the ps move that way.

+ KidCommando on November 19th, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

Disney sure is hoping the revival of the Tron franchise is a hit.

The game looks pretty cool so far. Movie tie-ins rarely work out, but maybe this will be different.

Nice vid though!

+ BlooodyCow on November 19th, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

nothing to see here people. Just another movie game that is being hype and then fail like the other 99% of them.

+ Chuckbait on November 19th, 2010 at 1:19 pm said:

This game does look boring.

+ Zezzler on November 19th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

I like how sony is really pushing for EVERYTHING. 3D, Move support, Dualshock support, Multiplayer, and (not with this game, but) Exclusive content. good job Sony! you are pushing the industry forward~

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on November 19th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Glad you like it — Tron is definitely stacked with features. I’m a fan of the persistent character creation, I’d like to see that in more games!

+ Kluzot on November 19th, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

@4 I agree with you.

Just a game to make more money…

+ pitythefool852 on November 19th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

So the Move support is tipping the controller from side to side in exactly the same way that we can tip a SixAxis controller?

Kind of an anticlimax there… but if it works well then why not?

It does work well, right?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on November 19th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

It works quite well — the sensors are much more advanced than those used for Sixaxis.

+ Marsz85 on November 19th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

Six…axis…?

Looks very uncomfortable to use the Move like that. Makes much more sense with the sixaxis controller.

+ supvic on November 19th, 2010 at 1:39 pm said:

is THAT all the move controller can do in this game? Even Ratchet and Clank had more capability with just the SixAxis (eg. flying).

+ AgentX on November 19th, 2010 at 1:42 pm said:

I loved the original Tron movie, so naturally I’m looking forward to this game as well as the upcoming movie sequel.

I’m happy to see Move is supported, but I have to admit being a little let down that (so far) it only appears to be used for steering the light cycle. Much like pitythefool852 said above, this seems like it could’ve been accomplished using Sixaxis, rather than something that properly utilizes Move’s advanced abilities. For example, it would be great to use Move to throw the disc in this game, in a manner similar to throwing the flying disc in the disc golf event in Sports Champions.

+ KazeEternal on November 19th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

*scratches head* Why are you making me use the move for something the Sixaxis can do already?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on November 19th, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

The Move support is very responsive — Sixaxis isn’t as great a fit for fast-moving driving handling.

+ Dogofthunder on November 19th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

This game looks good to me, and I will be getting it. I am such a mark for anything TRON. Let me know if you are getting this. I’ll friend you (and then derezz you)!

+ MonkeyGibber on November 19th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

Hopefully that’s just a bit of the move support. They should easily be able to use the move to throw your discs like frisbee golf in sport champions…

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on November 19th, 2010 at 2:28 pm said:

Darren told us that, for now, PS Move support is limited to the lightcycle sequences in the campaign mode.

+ Kchow23 on November 19th, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

very odd move support there…

+ shawtymann on November 19th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

I wonder if Daft Punk will make an appearance

+ CODE_ANON on November 19th, 2010 at 2:28 pm said:

fck the nay-sayers….this game looks awesome and will be kick-ass

+ Berae on November 19th, 2010 at 2:28 pm said:

I dont know if the game is gonna be good but the movie is going to be sick!

+ DZORMAGEN on November 19th, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

Movie to video games never play well or do well in my opinion. Please tell me how this game is different than the other games that are rushed to stores just to make a few more bucks?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on November 19th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

Agreed, the track history is mixed. I will say that TRON piqued my interest in my limited hands-on — the graphics are beautiful, the combat is satisfying once you catch the rhythm, and the stereoscopic 3D implementation is right up there with Killzone 3.

+ LUGIEZ on November 19th, 2010 at 2:45 pm said:

This game actually looks good! The move can control the bike too like handlebars! cool!

+ Stingger on November 19th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

I played this in October at the Sony meet & greet in Toronto… All I was thinking was how awesome the game would be with Move support… Glad to hear it’s getting it!!!

+ emiru69 on November 19th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

TRON ONLINE MULTIPLAYER??!! I’m in!!!

+ ShadowAurora on November 19th, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

the video solidified my enthusiasm for the game my only worry is how do you balance it for multiplayer? persistent character sounds like a nightmare for having a balanced multiplayer

+ Edd on November 19th, 2010 at 3:38 pm said:

I’m glad that the game as a whole seems to be shaping up quite nicely, but I have to say that the limited Move support is a little underwhelming. I really hope games that are in development now will take more time to really implement Move to it’s full potential.

+ cresseychaos on November 19th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

After Sports Champions I can’t help but think.. PS Move for multiplayer light disk battles? .. surely that would be awesome?

+ Glacier928 on November 19th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

Looks amazing! Hoping to get this for Christmas! lol

+ Dark_Vincent on November 19th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

As an original Tron fan myself, I’m excited for this game and the new movie.

Like others, I did find the Move support a little underwhelming, it would be ok with the sixaxis really.

I want to see what is it they have planned for DLC and also longer gameplay videos showing sections of the game or a full multiplayer battle, more than just glimpses :(

Now for the obligatory question: Will there be a demo?

+ vectorman88 on November 19th, 2010 at 7:12 pm said:

great coverage in this vid.im certainly picking this up at best buy on the 7th. i just ordered the PDP controller to. December is going to be epic!

+ EggySong85 on November 20th, 2010 at 3:58 am said:

The PS Move support looks pretty awkward, but I’m not complaining. I’m just glad they’re doing it anyway.

+ Lugoves on November 20th, 2010 at 6:21 am said:

The game looks great! …Any thoughts on how ‘balanced’ online play will be if persistent characters are going to have so many possible upgrades at play?

+ bowman151 on November 20th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

I haven’t seen either of the Tron movies, though this game does have my interest. I definitely looking forward to trying the multiplayer. As for the movie game curse, X-men Origins: Wolverine wasn’t too bad of a game for being based on a movie so this game could surprise some of the nonbelievers.

+ jdneul on November 21st, 2010 at 2:03 am said:

move is capable of more than just driving a bike, I am disappointed…

+ FfoegNosnibor on November 21st, 2010 at 8:44 am said:

Why would you make the gamer switch from a dual shock to a move controller for one portion of the game?

If it is a move game, then make it a game that is fully controlled by move.

I am a early move adopter, and I love Tron. But if this bike thing is thrown in there just so you guys can advertise it as a move game–to supplement the weak library of move games–then I will not purchase.

Move has a lot of potential, and people seem to be buying it. Release some decent games that are designed from the ground up to support this peripheral.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on December 6th, 2010 at 6:18 am said:

Im very shocked and very dissapointed that GT5 didnt come out with the MOVE driving controlls like TRON did.Although i hope the sixaxsis can be used for this too. And since im thinkin about buying the wheel just for GT5 hopefully i can use it for TRON too :p Watchin the video and listening to tha techno music ..got me super ammped for the movie..the game is looking great im already loving the customization features and being able to use your campaign character on multiplayer has convinced me to pre order this game right now. i guess alil PS BLOG promotions go along way :)