Tearaway Unfolded

Nov 23

Kung-Fu LIVE Gets an Official Launch Date and Trailer!

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar Posted by Teemu Mäki-Patola on Nov 23, 2010 // CEO, Virtual Air Guitar Company

Hello there, fellow ninjas and warriors! This is Teemu Maki-Patola from Virtual Air Guitar Company finally returning with the big news many of you have been asking me since we first came to the PlayStation.Blog earlier this year: When is Kung-Fu LIVE coming out? Well, after months of demo events across the world from gamescom in Germany to PAX Prime in Seattle, combined with THOUSANDS of cumulative man-hours for our small independent team in Finland, burning the midnight oil and sweating like crazy play-testing our game, we’re FINALLY ready to break the news right back here where we started. What better way to do that than with an all-new trailer? Have a peek at the clip below to see what people have being saying all year, and get the leg up on exactly when you too can literally step into the world of Kung-Fu LIVE and lay the smack down in your living room!

That’s right! If you’re in the U.S., then you can download your way into the action on December 7th. We know it’s been a long time coming, and we’ve always wanted to get this game to you before the last of the leaves hit the ground in 2010. So, as soon as it’s officially too cold to practice your kung-fu moves outside, you’ll get an indoor option that will also transport you to a far off land of street thugs, ninja assassins, and four story-tall giants looking to bash your brains in.

Kung-Fu Live Kung-Fu Live

So, with the launch of Kung-Fu LIVE now just a few weeks away, we wanted to brief you on a few simple things to keep in mind before you get ready to play. First off, remember, you’re going to need the PlayStation Eye camera in order to play Kung-Fu LIVE. You will also need a SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 Wireless Controller for some menu selection, and you can use up to four controllers to get your friends in on the five player multiplayer that pits one brave on-screen fighter against the rest of the players in the room.

Kung-Fu Live Kung-Fu Live

The other thing you’ll need is a little bit of space. Remember, Kung-Fu LIVE is unlike any other game to come before it on a home gaming system. You’ll need about 7×9 ft or 2.5/3m of space to play comfortably if you’re more of an extreme fighter. Think of it like setting up a virtual ninja fighting amusement park ride in your house! Our FreeMotion technology will need to track your entire body in plain view, so you’ll also want to turn on those lights to get ready for action. That and, oh yes, you’ll want to stretch before playing to prevent aching muscles afterwards. This will truly be a workout unlike anything you’ve experienced, and will DEFINITELY be a great place to start shedding those holiday pounds. Our lean and mean QA testing team can certainly attest to that!

Kung-Fu Live

Thanks again to all of our friends here at the PlayStation.Blog for giving us the chance to bring you these updates, and thanks again to all of YOU who’ve been showing your support over the last few months. This project represents years of independent computer vision research and technology from our team here at Virtual Air Guitar Company, and your enthusiasm to see us finish our crazy idea for the ultimate full body motion fighting game was just what we needed to help get this game completed.

Look for Kung-Fu LIVE on PlayStation Network this December and please be sure to ‘Like’ us on our Facebook page. And before I forget, I wanted to mention our unique image export feature. You can take pictures of yourself inside the kung-fu comic book world can be export them as images straight to your PlayStation 3 photo folder, and then used anywhere you like! We’d love to see you in our game, so please feel free to post those to our Facebook page as well! Remember, our company’s motto has always been: “Serious fun for people who don’t take themselves too seriously.” When you finally get a chance to leap into the world of Kung-Fu LIVE this December, we hope you get a better idea of exactly what we mean. Have fun, play safe, and remember, “Sweep the leg!”

PAGE 1 2

+ fedex682 on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:00 pm said:

getting it day1

+ xDarkImagesx on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

1st, this game looks fun as hell, how much???

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 9:59 pm said:

Hi guys, sorry for answering delay. There is a big time difference to Finland so I was sleeping until now. :)

The price will be 14,99$.

+ D-Squad3 on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:06 pm said:

+ keniken on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Looks amazing and seriously a lot of fun, its what Mortal Kombat should have been. I cant wait to see “Fail” videos on Youtube of people smashing up their apartments mwahahaha.
Yet another nail in the coffin of “Kinect”

+ BigBangBear on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:29 pm said:

Very cool. Been waiting a while for this to come out.

+ chicken636 on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:31 pm said:

My money is yours, day 1!

+ SuperTiso on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:32 pm said:

And the price is…..?

+ Mosh_Pit on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:40 pm said:

+ ForgiveMyAim on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

If I bought Kinect, I would be sad right now

+ kowan on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

I hope the issues found on the earlier versions have been addressed here like how the ps eye cant seem to filter out all of the blotches around the player leaving awkward looking white or whatever BG color you have. And also the hit detection, they say that some punches or kicks don’t seem to hit the opponent.
And the lack of other modes.
But then again, i will still pick this up haha. I just REALLy hope all the issues have been resolved! I really want an AWESOME ps eye game to be released for the ps eye.

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:09 pm said:

Paying attention to the game’s setup instructions, you should be able to get rid of such issues. Adding shadow removal and color tolerance from the game fixes these even if the auto calibration would leave some. As well as just walking from one side to the other in the camera view as this relearns your background.

Punches and kicks do pick up well. However, if the enemy character gets too far in motion with some of their attacks, your punch won’t stop it anymore. It will register, though, and make damage, but the enemy will continue with its attack all the same (e.g. with kicks or jump kicks that are far in motion). I don’t know if that was what Joystick meant or not.

+ Seahawk313 on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:58 pm said:

I’m guessing $15.00 is gonna be the price tag on this one.

+ Vex_Doppel on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:59 pm said:

Finally a release date, Its about F**king time.

+ Axecution on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:17 pm said:

Yeah im guessing 15 dollars too lol.

Whatever. Looks awesome. :D

+ TheUndertaker85 on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:21 pm said:

The game looks awesome but just one thing…

I wish you all would’ve released this before Kinect released on the market. Yes we know, Kinect really doesn’t have the potential it says it does. But releasing this before Kinect would’ve put a huge nail in the coffin for Kinect plus made people wonder what really warranted the $150 price tag for a piece of equipment that even down to specs is basically just a dual lense PS Eye.

+ DZORMAGEN on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

That was by far THE BEST F**KING trailer EVER!! LOL, I am so buying this now! Come Dec 7th this game will be mine. Oh yeah I don’t have to spend $150.00 to get the affect, if you know what I mean ;)! I hope Plus members get a better deal than other on that day! I also hope we get more games that have to do only with the PS EYE! Thank you for this game, and I will buy for sure day 1!

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:14 pm said:

Hi Dzormagen! Many thanks for thumbs up! I like this trailer too. It captures the crazy spirit of the game nicely and keeps on moving with good speed. It was done super fast too, just in two days. It was fun making it.

+ DZORMAGEN on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:32 pm said:

@14 TheUndertaker85

Ummm the nail is already in the Kinect’s coffin! The thing is a complete joke! I knew it would fail. The thing sucks!

Now on the other hand the EYE is smaller, and much more affordable, oh yeah it actually works!! I really hope the people at Sony try to get this DEMO out there to the BEST BUYS and Sony Stores during the holiday rush. It will show that it is better than that s**ty thing they call the Kinect!

+ Monetep on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:38 pm said:

Oh my this looks quite sick, too bad i don’t have ps eye… yet…

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:16 pm said:

Yeah, luckily those are easy to get. ;)

+ Huuuze on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:56 pm said:

It’d be great if you could export video of the game directly to YouTube.

+ Id00urmomma on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:58 pm said:

So it seems Everybody i know has had call of duty black ops kill their system.
Why are you not talking about that, and how you can satisfy people that have lost theirs because of poor programing and/or a bad call on what type of solder to use (poor hardware).
Will someone please be a real Public Relations person and RELATE REAL INFO PLEASE!!!! And take responsibility for bad hardware that is faulty and should be fixed for free. A 1 year warranty is bs for any company, this is going to cost sony a lot of serious customers if you don’t take these problems seriously. From the leap year bug to the Fat yellow light problems, I expect more craftsmanship from sony and less hype, that is what all of your customers expect as well.

+ solo013 on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:00 pm said:

That looks awesome. It reminds me of the kung fu game on the DSi though.

+ X-FLIP-X on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:12 pm said:

Looks really great! Really looking forward to playing it!

Is there going to be a trailer showcasing what the multiplayer will be like? Thanks!

+ stone25 on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:24 pm said:

1. Nice mature name.
2. Don’t post here if you are having an issue with hardware (if you even are)
3. That’s what you get for supporting a developer more worried about making a quick buck and not giving you the best possible game cause its to hard and costly to develop games correctly for the PS3…Keep supporting developers that look at us PS3 owners as an afterthought.
4. Your fault for being Beiberized and getting that “must have” when there are so many more good games out there.
5. I truly believe you are trolling, as I have 2 PS3’s…a slim and an original 80gb bought at release, have played hundreds of games, and have never had an issue…so if you truly do have a ps3 and are having problems, probably something YOU did.
6. If you truly are in that VERY, VERY small minority that has had YLOD…you overheated your system, and In my experience thats a YOUR problem, not a sony problem…take better care of your investments.

+ Gr00v3r06 on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:29 pm said:

I do want this game. It really looks like fun. Grats on making the effort and swinging for the fences on a camera motion based control game.

+ SuperTiso on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:45 pm said:

Yeah, let’s not all get too worked up over the fact this has nothing on Kinect. While impressive that Eye can accomplish this, this is far from Kinect level. Anyone who actually owns both and not some blatant fanboy would attest to this. Just accept both for what they are, gimmicks on the bandwagon that Nintendo started.

+ DZORMAGEN on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

@24 SuperTiso

Can you please tell me what Nintendo has started with the camera? Please I would know.

+ kdiep on November 23rd, 2010 at 9:11 pm said:

Please Sony, start bundling this game with the PSEye. This is the real killer app right here and it’ll be a smack to Kinect’s face while at it too.

+ GooDer_gAMe on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

Been waiting for this ever since I saw the preview from hiphopgamer. Lol, what’s kinect?

+ BlazeKush420 on November 23rd, 2010 at 9:13 pm said:

Its going to be 40$

+ DR_BLIZZL3 on November 23rd, 2010 at 9:41 pm said:

Finally time to put some hours into my playstation eye

+ Istyle318 on November 23rd, 2010 at 9:52 pm said:

This is going to be a great work out for all the Thanksgiving food I’m going to eat, (Yeah Boy!! #Pops)

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:21 pm said:

Yeah, it certainly melts that turkey and chocolate nicely! :)

+ Vex_Doppel on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:04 pm said:

Showed my nephew and now he’s really excited to play. He wants to use all sorts of weapons. He has two plastic toy swords, and I was wondering if you can duel wield weapons? Other weapons he showed me that he’s like to use were: toy bowling pin, a purse, and a house cat.

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 11:18 pm said:

Cool! Those should all work. Tip: If you go weapon heavy, the best way to do it is using the Mayhem Designer custom fight and alter the Movement options to boost your movements a bit less. Normally the movement boosting is high and best set for barehanded fighting.
    You can also make your enemies slower of faster from there. There is something quite satisfying in making them slower and beating a large bunch in slow motion. Its not very fair, but who cares? ;)

+ Vex_Doppel on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:18 pm said:

Hey Teemu, saw that you started posting so I started posting again, too bad there’s not a chat on here since we’re on at the same time. Hey do you have Twitter? I’d like to follow you.

+ Dosx001 on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:26 pm said:

awesome more games 4 the PSeye

+ DZORMAGEN on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:35 pm said:

Teemu Maki-Patola

How important is lighting, and the color clothes you wear? Does wearing darker affect the camera, and does bad, dim lighting affect it? Also will Plus users maybe see a $5.00 price cut? Maybe Plus members get it for $9.99 for the 1st week of release? Please??

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 11:27 pm said:

Hi Dzormagen,
    for best functioning, you should have some color difference between your background and your clothes (so that you stand out from the background in the camera image). Bright against bright works well but try to avoid dark against dark as then the camera wont be able to see well. There are good setup tips and instructions in the game.

The better lighting you have the better. But the camera is rather good for picking up light so it works even in dimmer conditions. The lighting should be stronger than the light that your tv casts from its image.

We haven’t yet started discussing with PS Plus. Will try to get it in there but probably wont happen in time for launch.

+ judalation on November 24th, 2010 at 6:40 am said:

YEA!!!!! I was wondering if this game would be delayed! this game will rock your socks off and is a hardcore game that shows how kinect is nothing new as Microsoft always claims! Vote for my Idea at PLAYSTATION blog share to make Sony buy Air Guitar who ,made this game so the Playstation eye can finally get some awesome games!

+ S-E-G on November 24th, 2010 at 7:44 am said:

lol, funny trailer
looks cool
might get it

+ Sindred on November 24th, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

Seriously getting this day one. Great marketing move simply admitting that it looks silly, but awesome at the same time!

+ NukePistols on November 24th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

I want this game and Dead Nation. I think the PSEye deserves more support, specially now that one of Sony’s competitors came out with something similar.

+ NukePistols on November 24th, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

I think Kung-Fu LIVE is the most interesting PSEye game I’ve seen. The other ones seem like short mini-games. Kung-Fu Live actually seems fun to play.

+ phantomballa on November 24th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

Awsome!!!this game comes out on my birthday:D

+ scorpio182 on November 24th, 2010 at 9:19 am said:

+ evoPiru on November 24th, 2010 at 9:45 am said:

I’ve been tracking this game since you firt annouced it. Congratulations for your innovation. I’m buying this game on day one.

I was thinking, you should talk to sony; together you could launch a Kevin Butler ad, in which sony can promote PSEye’s potential and you can promote Kung Fu Live.

I don’t know how can Sony not see that this awesome game is a PlaystationMove seller (even if it not requires the PS move and only PS eye). This is easilly, at visual impressions, the best PSEye/Move game to launch this year.

I hope that if this sells well, you guys can add weapons using the PSMove and perhaps an online mode for vs matches. Any way, keep on going, good stuff is what you guys developed here.

+ spaquin on November 24th, 2010 at 10:29 am said:

Love the comic book scenes where you appear in. Please tell me that if the game becomes a huge success, you’ll release downloadable content like a complete new mission with more comics in it !

+ Anubis80 on November 24th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

Looks like Sony is going to bring back these types of games to compete against the kinect. So now we have the PS Move to compete with the wii and we already had the PS Camera to compete with the kinect! hahaha Love it.

+ Munkeez on November 24th, 2010 at 11:13 am said:

Is there ONLINE multi-player?

+ krae_man on November 24th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Man, I don’t like this new $14.99 for everything trend. I don’t know how you can look at Lara Croft and this and say they’re worth the same amount.

Digital distribution should allow tons of flexability on pricing very few devs/pubs are taking advantage of it.

+ mikedo2007 on November 24th, 2010 at 1:42 pm said:

Looks like everybody’s

*putting on sunglasses*

Kung Fu Fighting

+ macman996 on November 24th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

How much will it cost in the UK PSN and will it be released on 7th Dec in the UK as well?
I can’t wait for this game, So looking forward to kicking some ass!
Well done Virtual guitar Company!

+ humble-dragon on November 24th, 2010 at 9:19 pm said:

Finally!!! I loved the eye toy especially antigrav!! and this is a must for me… I really didn’t understand the move… I had high hopes that sony was going to push the ps eye camera… Thanks so much for making this game… I can’t wait!!!

+ MrJokester on November 27th, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

Great idea for a game but also I can see this leading somewhere bad, since you pretty much play with a random person online its gonna be like chat roulette what if you just get some random creepo that plays the game naked lol.

PAGE 1 2