Destiny The Taken King

Nov 23

Kung-Fu LIVE Gets an Official Launch Date and Trailer!

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar Posted by Teemu Mäki-Patola on Nov 23, 2010 // CEO, Virtual Air Guitar Company

Hello there, fellow ninjas and warriors! This is Teemu Maki-Patola from Virtual Air Guitar Company finally returning with the big news many of you have been asking me since we first came to the PlayStation.Blog earlier this year: When is Kung-Fu LIVE coming out? Well, after months of demo events across the world from gamescom in Germany to PAX Prime in Seattle, combined with THOUSANDS of cumulative man-hours for our small independent team in Finland, burning the midnight oil and sweating like crazy play-testing our game, we’re FINALLY ready to break the news right back here where we started. What better way to do that than with an all-new trailer? Have a peek at the clip below to see what people have being saying all year, and get the leg up on exactly when you too can literally step into the world of Kung-Fu LIVE and lay the smack down in your living room!

That’s right! If you’re in the U.S., then you can download your way into the action on December 7th. We know it’s been a long time coming, and we’ve always wanted to get this game to you before the last of the leaves hit the ground in 2010. So, as soon as it’s officially too cold to practice your kung-fu moves outside, you’ll get an indoor option that will also transport you to a far off land of street thugs, ninja assassins, and four story-tall giants looking to bash your brains in.

Kung-Fu Live Kung-Fu Live

So, with the launch of Kung-Fu LIVE now just a few weeks away, we wanted to brief you on a few simple things to keep in mind before you get ready to play. First off, remember, you’re going to need the PlayStation Eye camera in order to play Kung-Fu LIVE. You will also need a SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK 3 Wireless Controller for some menu selection, and you can use up to four controllers to get your friends in on the five player multiplayer that pits one brave on-screen fighter against the rest of the players in the room.

Kung-Fu Live Kung-Fu Live

The other thing you’ll need is a little bit of space. Remember, Kung-Fu LIVE is unlike any other game to come before it on a home gaming system. You’ll need about 7×9 ft or 2.5/3m of space to play comfortably if you’re more of an extreme fighter. Think of it like setting up a virtual ninja fighting amusement park ride in your house! Our FreeMotion technology will need to track your entire body in plain view, so you’ll also want to turn on those lights to get ready for action. That and, oh yes, you’ll want to stretch before playing to prevent aching muscles afterwards. This will truly be a workout unlike anything you’ve experienced, and will DEFINITELY be a great place to start shedding those holiday pounds. Our lean and mean QA testing team can certainly attest to that!

Kung-Fu Live

Thanks again to all of our friends here at the PlayStation.Blog for giving us the chance to bring you these updates, and thanks again to all of YOU who’ve been showing your support over the last few months. This project represents years of independent computer vision research and technology from our team here at Virtual Air Guitar Company, and your enthusiasm to see us finish our crazy idea for the ultimate full body motion fighting game was just what we needed to help get this game completed.

Look for Kung-Fu LIVE on PlayStation Network this December and please be sure to ‘Like’ us on our Facebook page. And before I forget, I wanted to mention our unique image export feature. You can take pictures of yourself inside the kung-fu comic book world can be export them as images straight to your PlayStation 3 photo folder, and then used anywhere you like! We’d love to see you in our game, so please feel free to post those to our Facebook page as well! Remember, our company’s motto has always been: “Serious fun for people who don’t take themselves too seriously.” When you finally get a chance to leap into the world of Kung-Fu LIVE this December, we hope you get a better idea of exactly what we mean. Have fun, play safe, and remember, “Sweep the leg!”

PAGE 1 2

+ Tricky-2U on November 28th, 2010 at 3:34 pm said:

WOW repeat WOW I’m getting it. Might need to go buy another lamp and some 100 watt bulbs :)

+ Maverickace on December 6th, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

I am definitely buying this game tomorrow. It looks fun. Congratulations on the release of your game. I have a question about the tech. Do you know if your tech could capture skelatal movement with high enough fidelity for a dancing game? Because all I want to do is dance.

+ biggbuckz on December 7th, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

today is the day!

I’ll be downloading it as soon as I get home from work.

+ Vex_Doppel on November 23rd, 2010 at 10:37 pm said:

Thanks Teemu, I’ve got it. After the release do you think you’ll add some DLC to it? If so what kind do you have in mind?

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 23rd, 2010 at 11:28 pm said:

Heh, this we will have to announce on its own. :) But we are working on some.

+ Neil on November 23rd, 2010 at 11:38 pm said:

You can use this quote in your December 7th launch trailer:

“This is relevant to my interests. Do want.”

Also I’m surprised there isn’t any Playstation Move compatibility.

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:20 am said:

Hi Neil,
    thanks for the quote! :)

Yeah, we are thinking about Move augmented weapons for the future but this time wanted to keep it hands free and allow you to move as fast and frantically as you like.

+ DZORMAGEN on November 24th, 2010 at 12:13 am said:

Teemu Maki-Patola

Thank you for the replies! I am looking forward to this for sure! I am sure a lot of people are! :)

+ rebeljd on November 24th, 2010 at 12:13 am said:

Kung Fu LIVE is awesomely hilarious. I want it and I don’t care how stupid fun it is, I wanna have a blast playing it.

Game Over.

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:21 am said:

That’s the right attitude!
    Thanks for the support!

+ Budds_o_Tokin on November 24th, 2010 at 2:21 am said:

Sweep the leg? Don’t make me get my crane kick out Lawrence.

On to a more serious note thought…I’m supporting you guys not just for the game you made, also because your company name rocks. (pun not intended) I’m blaming you guys for all the time I’m going to waste. I just want to ask some questions.

Any intention of adding DLC stories to have more new comic-book pictures?

Will the crane kick work in the game?

How exactly does mutliplayer work?

Can you wax on, wax off?

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

Hi Budds_o_Tokin!
    DLC is in the works. If the game sells well, there may well be new comics as well.

And yes, the crane kick works awesomely and is higher than in the real life.

Multiplayer: One guy on camera at the gamepad players’ mercy as they are controlling the game characters and seriously kicking the camera player’s ass while seeing his pain and sweat as they land their blows. :) But he just might actually get them all.

Wax on wax off works too if its fast enough.

+ zipkeper on November 24th, 2010 at 2:26 am said:

This will be the Best Game of Year 2010! I just bought three Playstation Eye cameras, my brothers are going to have a nice surprise this Christmas as they’ll be getting this game from Santa, LOL! ;)

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

Hi Zipkeper,
    that’s awesome! Many thanks for your support!

+ xDarkImagesx on November 24th, 2010 at 2:58 am said:

Hey teemu,

I have a suggestion, with the face on the person you should have it where when you look into the camera, your face isn’t straight, it should be turned facing the enemy, it looks weird kicking a enemy arse and while soing it your looking at yourself, but that’s just me, either or still goin to pick this bad boy up

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:30 am said:

Yeah, we hear this some. Once people play the game, they usually don’t care about this anymore. But the people watching sometimes mention it. There’s little that can be done, though, as its your video inside the game and you want to be able to see the tv screen. Just goes to the funky nature of the game:”enjoyably ridiculous”. So you look a bit like you don’t need to care about your enemies even enough to stare them in the eyes. :)

+ OverTaker on November 24th, 2010 at 3:23 am said:

this game is a must buy on day one

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:32 am said:

Thanks for the thumbs up, OverTaker! Keeps us going.

+ letherclad on November 24th, 2010 at 4:16 am said:

This is awesome, I can’t wait. You should really make a TV commercial to show this game off.

Stay with playstation Virtual Air Guitar Company! I can’t wait to see what you do next!

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:31 am said:

Thanks for the support Letherclad!

+ GUNBEHINDTHESUN on November 24th, 2010 at 4:36 am said:

This looks fun! My family would get a kick out of it. Thanks for the good price!

Teemu Mäki-Patola's Avatar

+ Teemu Mäki-Patola on November 24th, 2010 at 6:32 am said:

Thanks for the positive wibes, GunBehindTheSun! Glad the price is ok!

PAGE 1 2