PS4 - Transistor

Stream HD Movies Instantly with VUDU Application – Available Today

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 23, 2010 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Last week, we announced a partnership with VUDU that will bring you the ability to stream thousands of movies straight from the cloud to your PlayStation 3. Today, that announcement becomes reality as the VUDU application launches in the United States on PlayStation Network. VUDU delivers a cinema-quality movie experience in the comfort of your home theater, complete with full 1080p HD with 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus sound, and video on-demand without downloading. No subscription is necessary to browse their library of more than 4,000 HD movies, including many new releases the same day they are released to DVD and Blu-ray. The movies are available on-demand and you only pay for the movies that you watch. Also, when you sign up for a VUDU account, you will receive a $5.99 credit on your account for one free HD rental.

Check out the video walkthrough:

The VUDU app adds to the vast amount of entertainment available through PlayStation Network, including movies and TV shows via Netflix and Hulu Plus as well as live sports with MLB.tv and NHL GameCenter LIVE.

To download the free VUDU app, go to the media category in the PlayStation Store. Once downloaded, the app will appear under the video icon in your XMB. Also – VUDU recently unveiled their new UI, VUDU 2.0, at a recent press event, and if you download the app, it will automatically refresh on your PS3 when it launches next month. VUDU 2.0 will also offer PlayStation Move compatibility for easy to use motion control navigation.

117 Comments

+ zekececil14 on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

@44
actually blu-ray is $1.50, and there are not very many.

+ ElCapitanAmerica on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

@nikrel

Minor correction, but redbox blu-ray rentals are $1.50 not $1.00. Your point is still valid, the reason is just convenience (I can rent a movie on a whim without having to drive somewhere), and redbox still has a limited library.

Very often a redbox “box” runs out of the newer rentals pretty quickly.

+ bgardner on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

will this been on the CANADA PSN store

+ Ejsponge61 on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

This looks awesome. Pretty soon, I won’t need cable anymore.

+ Zemus101 on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

Wow, I’m impressed. Saw that Twitter and Facebook support too, excellent. I hope we get this in Canada someday ^^ Looks awesome.

+ FredNation on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

Seems good.

+ Gorvi on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

Does the VUDU app work with Remote Play on the PSP?

+ MUGEN02 on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

How about releasing a firmware update with new features instead!

+ sprodigy on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:57 pm said:

$6 a pop is very frustrating. Make it $1 a rental and this would be a nice supplement to Netflix. Right now Netflix instant-streaming doesn’t get new releases till 6-12 months after release onto DVD. I hate waiting for the mail..

+ residentevil1989 on November 23rd, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

@SiCofReality

What do you mean look where Blockbuster ended up? Blockbuster didn’t go out of business did it no it didn’t. I have 3 disc out right now from them and they are not going anywhere for awhile.

+ hardknock55 on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:00 pm said:

this looks very very good, but thats enough with movie services we need more music stuff like vidzone and something like a skype app

+ Jimb0 on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

@sprodigy

There are quite a few $2 rentals there as well. And some HD at $2.99. New Releases are $4.99 for 720p HD, and $5.99 for 1080p HD. So there are definitely choices. The entire catalog with prices are here: http://www.vudu.com/movies/Movies.html

+ PhillyPhreak on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

VUDU is only available in the US right now, not Canada or anywhere else. I love options and this looks like a sweet one.

+ Enigmatech on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

Will everyone outside of the US complain to the SCE’s of your regions (unless controlled by SCEA)? SCEA has no control of what is & what’s not available to you.

The prices are almost the same between the video store and VUDU.

Differences are save on your HD or on your VUDU account through cloud. VUDU is looking better already especially if you have a small hard drive and has better functionally.

I think if this does better, you should phase out the video store but do a survey first!

+ WhtR88t on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

Wow- you guys are killing it! Netflix, Hulu, NHL, MLB and now VUDU movies.

Keep the non-game apps coming!

+ Painkiller360 on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:20 pm said:

Can we get an TV icon on the US xmb?

+ Senjutsu_Dav on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:20 pm said:

Wishing for a canadian version soon! This looks like a really nice app. Well designed compared to the more than ugly netflix app. This could complement netflix too since netflix doesn’t have recent movies. Nice app anyway!

+ Nolean74 on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

When is this going live,i can’t find it on my PS3

+ reson8er on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

Very much looking forward to checking this out :)

+ KwietStorm on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:29 pm said:

Haha Canadian invasion. I think Canada needs their own [gimped] blog to appease them, Sony. Make it full circle.

+ seph1r0th00 on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

Not be rude or anything but you Canadians do realize that this blog’s URL is blog.US.playstation.com? It’s not a Canadian blog yet every post gets complaints about “No Canada?”, “US only?!???! WTF!!!!”

+ KidCommando on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

Thanks for the options!

Now,

AT&T OnDemand
Netflix
Hulu
PSN Video Store

and now Vudu will all be competing for my dollars.

Let the sales, discounts, and pricing wars continue! =P

+ Frejim on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

will it work in Latin America?

+ Creative_ae on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:53 pm said:

I dont care, i care for all system just dmamged on Update 3.50 i care for Cross Game Chat =”(

+ Lord_VII on November 23rd, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

hey sony, how about some NBA league pass as a downloadable app… i’d def cancel cable if that happens.

+ jleimer on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

Im still trying to find Vudu on the app store but its not there.

+ juju954fl on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:04 pm said:

The reason why its so much, must be cause it saves it on a cloud. So this must be aiming for those who are tight on space on their HDD.Plus you cant redownload movies on the PS Store.

+ Sum-Mischief on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

Just another great option … thanks I be using it !

+ KSPRAYDAD on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

@29 Kirkpad

For the millionth time the CRTC has NOTHING to do with services like not coming/being delayed into Canada. ZERO.

+ KSPRAYDAD on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

@70 seph1r0th00

For the millionth time SCEA represents all of North America (the A stands for AMERICA not US)…they ARE responsible for Canadian PS3s and they ARE responsible for this blog. Why do you think you see Canadian content being posted on this blog such as the Canadian section of he weekly video releases and certain stories such as Netflix coming to Canada and being discless first.

So…now that we have established that SCEA and this Blog are for Canadians too we only ask that we get the same or similar services for our PS3s since we have honoured SONY with as much cash as you have for thier systems. At the same time certain Canadian’s on this site need to brighten up and realize that services such as VUDU have nothing to do with SONY when it comes to where things can be distributed…if you want VUDU canada…call Walmart not SONY.

+ robertmc8 on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

Can PSN Cards can be used buy HD movies from your store? Now we need Music VOD on demand :).

+ KSPRAYDAD on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

@70 … this blog serves the SCEA region which is all of North America…what the URL is is irrelevant. Kapeesh? Click on Terms of Use below…you’ll see Canada mentioned multiple times.

+ saifgenokami on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

I live in south america… any information when we would get something like this….

PLEASE!!!!

+ Ratigen on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

If it’s out today why don’t I see it yet ???

+ F-minus on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

My brain hurts… To many options…. This is why…. **sniffle**

I LOVE YOU PLAYSTATION!!!

You give me options, Im not forced to do anything :)

P.S. If you attend this years superbowl in Arlington, Texas I can give you a hug :)

+ NotoriousGamer on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

canada in 2014.

+ Mobius_124 on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

“VUDU 2.0 will also offer PlayStation Move compatibility for easy to use motion control navigation.”

i would like to see netflix and the other apps do this in the future

+ Rbrtchng on November 23rd, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

So how does the pricing work?

+ E-LaRock on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

It’s nice to have options but the prices are kinda steep. Especially considering the fact that I can walk down the block, in any direction, and get movie for $1 from a blockbuster or redbox kiosk. I might sign up just to get the $5.99 credit.

+ PlayDude77 on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

I’m so excited to have this in Europe!

Oh wait, i kid, i kid…
No one cares about us, that’s why we have almost no video services here…

Not even a video section in our PS Store (Portugal) !

Really, thanks a lot Sony!

+ ElectroNYC on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

Has anyone actually dowloaded the Vudu App today (11/23/10) on PS3?
I don’t see it anywhere in the Playstation Store as of 6:20pm EST I thought it was supposed to be out today.

+ Kirkpad on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

@78 Ah right, thanks for reminding me. I still have this undying hate for the CRTC for no apparent reason then. I guess they just need to get broadcasting licensing/rights for various things in Canada

+ The1stMJC on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:32 pm said:

Loving all these apps for the PlayStation only problem more people in my house using my PS3.

+ GibbBoy on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:36 pm said:

I agree with the comments about the $5.99 HDX price. For a rental that’s way too high. I’m excited about the idea of 1080p streaming movies, especially new releases, but the price needs to change. If there was a subscription service for $10/mo or so, I would get it in a heartbeat. What I love about Netflix streaming is I can start a movie that I’m not sure I’ll like, and if it’s not my cup of tea, I can switch to another movie. If I do that in the current price structure for VUDU, I’m out $12 already.

+ jleimer on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

Im skeptical about this because to me the rentals are high but this in away could supplement the PS store and Netflix but well see what happens from the reviews I see whether or not I get this app.

+ jleimer on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

As of 6:50 est the app is up if you search it.

+ mixedkidbx on November 23rd, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

WOW! What a great move by the people behind this new app. Giving a $6 credit for ppl to check out exactly how the app works and letting them see a movie of their choice.

That right there was 5 stars IMO. I wish more apps did things like this.

With all these new things being added to the PS3, sometimes i wish i was a kid just starting to grow up in todays age of tech. Wish things like this would have been around back in the 80′s lol.

+ KSPRAYDAD on November 23rd, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

@90
Follow www. michael geist. ca for this kind of news. Also look at his Oct 15th column on this topic titled Why are U.S. Net Services Slow to Migrate North?

+ syk1288 on November 23rd, 2010 at 4:08 pm said:

I don’t care about any updates(that don’t include Party Chat). I just want X-game Chat (Party Chat).

If the Ps3 can’t do it then just say so.

I’ve been wanting this for too long and I would think you guys would’ve surprised us fans by now with the feature hidden in a firmware update.

Could you answer this question with a professional answer. Even if it has some confidential elements.

What is going on with this feature (party chat)? I just wanted to know if you guys are even trying.

+ xektor17 on November 23rd, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

I downloaded but I can’t use it. I receive an error message: “Code 1:200″…